Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

moller posted:

The driving test stage is Turtles Have Short Legs by Can.
There was a 1Up article about that kind of thing - "real" songs in games - that I learned that from. I'd credit the writer, but I don't remember. When I first heard that Can song (in that article), it blew my goddamn mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGaC4wzt50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So quick question - how spoilers is that latest Bonfireside Chat? Because due to either :freep:regions:freep: or PC Gaming Master Race, I can't play DS2 for another full month.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

What's with Jick playing 15% of a game and then having hilariously uninformed opinions on it, while Kevin awkwardly tries to have a reasonable conversation about it? It happened this week with Diablo 3, and again last week with Don't Starve.

Is this just some weird meta-commentary on Jick Is Bad at Video Games that I don't get as a new listener?
I'm kind of enjoying it, because I usually find Kevin's arguments almost intolerably spergy, at least in part.

Zack's 100% right that likening Don't Starve to Minecraft is loving insane though. I mean I guess you build things out of resources you mug nature for?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I guess it does capture the same "Oh God, I have to get this stuff built or I'm screwed, oh poo poo what's that noise?" feeling, but Minecraft - to me, at least - has always been about creation first and foremost, while Don't Starve has always been more about survival. I don't know about now, but at least in the time close to and just after release Don't Starve never felt like a game you can build cool stuff in, just functional stuff.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Zach had me on his side for the conversation topic of car-beers being OK, but a lot of that podcast seems to be him arguing qualitative opinions as cold-hard facts.
I'm pretty much OK with Zack's arguments, because generally speaking I agree at least mostly, if not entirely. Now Kevin's apparent inability to remove his crippling OCD or whatever it is from evaluating a game, that is what frequently gets to me. But I actually like that, it's good to have one of the podcasts where it's not all happy joy fun times agreement party all the time, both within the podcast and between me and it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't be the only one who thinks it'd be kind of hilarious for Idle Thumbs to disappear yet again right at 150. (Of course only for like a week or something, let's not get crazy.)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been listening to Video Games Hot Dog after dropping it a while ago and when I got to the discussion of unions in the 11th episode, the ignorance and toxicity and "don't like it, leave" argument was so appalling I nearly dropped it altogether, but then got to episode 12's discussion on appropriate speech on the podcast, it was interesting how sensible Guy Who Sounds Like Alex Navarro(sorry, it's gonna take a while for me to remember your real name and not immediately call you Alex :v:) was and accepting that maybe he is wrong about things or doesn't know everything, so I'll keep on listening.
Much like Idle Thumbs did, VGHD has been really good about trying not to be accidental shitlords since then. I'll be honest, what little I've gleaned of Zack's politics certainly doesn't seem to line up with my own, but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.

Also I'm p. sure you're talking about Zack, except he doesn't sound greasy enough to me to sound like Navarro. Even listening to Navarro makes me want to wash my hair.

quote:

Also, is it only me who can't place names to voices until I've seen the people in question speaking on camera, and then I can suddenly distinguish them all easily?
It's always weird for me to put a face to the voice, with only two exceptions - Gerstmann and Breckon. They both look pretty much exactly like they sound to me.

e: No, three exceptions, Jeff Gerstmann, Nick Breckon, and Alex Navarro's hair.

e2: Was just looking at Wikipedia and there is a whole section on Idle Thumbs' page entitled "Dishonored Return of Nick Breckon"

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 25, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Garnett's not incompetent, just insufferable.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Timett posted:

I like the new Thumbs theme quite a bit. I'm not as into the new transition into and out if breaks.
It feels like the vocals get a bit drowned out in places, but yeah, I like it. The transition OK, and I think it'll grow on me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

They say it's going to be bi-weekly but so far there have been two episodes in a week so maybe I'm parsing that wrong?
I would presume, if they're British, if they meant "once every two weeks" they'd have said "fortnightly". Either that, or it's just that "biweekly" means both "twice a week" and "once every two weeks" because English is a dumb language.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

unironically defending tumblr memes, its the gift that keeps on giving!
You know "problematic" is also an actual word, right?

e: You know what else they do a lot of on tumblr? Posting.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 3, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Whoa, I better start posting on Pinterest so I can find some other faddish word.

I'm really impressed though, I had no idea that 'problematic' is some kind of racist dog whistle or something.
It's not a racist dog whistle, it's a shut-in dog whistle, because the only people who flip out over it spend entirely too much time caring about Internet things.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

I believe that's what they call an ad hominem.
I think you'll find it's what they call "90% of posts and comments on anything related to games".

You know how I know games aren't art? Because no-one calls an art critic a oval office for talking critically.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

ah right ad hominems and memes (critical thinking) truly the most refined art critics who don't deserve to be made fun of here on something awful where the internet is never mocked
Are all your shoes velcro?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

The issue with "taking it back" is that you're walking a really thin line. And it also allows some aberrant individuals to continue to use a word without any of the baggage involved, despite likely being a white cismale.
AKA the "But They Say It All The Time In Rap" defense.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I think that a review should be more about the final game and less about the process that went into making it (if that gets discussed in the review at all).
I honestly cannot think of any reviews I've ever read that were like the latter. Even for games like Duke Nukem Forever, where the process was probably more interesting than the actual game.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

VDay posted:

And they're waiting another month to talk about DS2, which means by the time that episode comes out it'll be two months since the 360/PS3 versions came out, so I'm not sure what fresh and exciting perspective they hope to provide. It's not like the PC version is drastically different in terms of content/gameplay that it makes sense to save discussion of it until it's out.
Yeah I'm going to disagree and say this is great. As someone who's waiting on the PC port to finally loving release, I'm already sick of having to skip entire sections of drat near every gaming podcast just to not spoil it for myself. I mean, I get that that's entirely on me and it'd be lovely to demand no-one talk about it until all of the versions are out, but still, I'm glad at least one podcast isn't already balls-deep into DS2 discussion.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Watch Out for Fireballs! Hardware special is up and ready for you to listen to. I really like this one, and I hope you do too.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/71
Oh man, y'all reminding me of Moraff.... I just went and found a copy of Moraff's Revenge, I haven't played that game in like 25 years! You know what? It still kind of holds up, as a fairly basic roguelike. You can actually buy those Moraff dungeon games on his company's website as a pack for $20 (which seems a little ambitious).

Woffle posted:

I think Alpha Protocol is grotesquely underrated and he's one of my all time favorite game makers.
Alpha Protocol is like Mass Effect's older brother who's out drinking and smoking and banging while Mass Effect's in his room playing with spaceship toys and discovering his manbits to green alien ladies on Star Trek reruns.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can put a precise number on the hours I've spent playing Rockband:

Zero

Because I guess music licensing hosed it and not a single Rockband game has legit come out in this corner of the world :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Twitch posted:

I'm kinda disappointed it's not another Kickstarter, because during your last one I spent several minutes seriously struggling over sending in my real name (which I ultimately did) or filling out the Kickstarter survey as "I have a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt".
As someone who didn't let his better nature win that particular battle, I have to say hearing Kole lose his poo poo when reading my "name" out was the best.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus Christ how many bundles are there these days? Are there any non-Humble ones that aren't packed with total garbage?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you honestly wanted an answer
I actually did, so thanks, that was interesting. I might try and remember to keep up on Groupees and IndieGala. God knows IndieRoyale would have to swim upward for days just to be at the bottom of the barrel.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

The English will probably murder you if you appropriate one of their cutesy slang terms.
I dunno, I'm increasingly hearing "wank" and a couple of other Britishisms showing up in American podcasts these days. It gets bloody unsettling sometimes.

Also I blame Doctor loving Who. Has no-one told the US that's a children's show?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think it's just inspiring Wenglishness.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I wanted to say "Wanglicism", but I can't get past the wang.

That's what she sai:suicide:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

1. Jenni from Video Games Taco joins us to talk about a dumb little horse MMO. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/36
I'll admit, after listening to that I still have no idea what Horse Isle actually involves, but it kinda made me want to mark down International Day of Horseplay 2015.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thefncrow posted:

the discussion about how things like "Aiden Pierce's Authentic Cap" is a crummy piece of digital content because of what that does to the character's designer (that's describing an actual physical hat based on the default character design and not part of an in-game costume).
Sure, it's a little frustrating that they were just wrong about that specific detail, but the overarching point remains - what the gently caress is up with all those editions of WatchUnderscoreDogs? Like that's for real mental. And the idea that there's a specific ANZAC pack is hilarious, given how few shits the industry has historically given about Australasia, or really any country that isn't the UK, the US, or Japan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

There's a sort of dumb marketing hopefulness to calling it 'iconic.'
It's not not hopeful, it's presumptuous. Whether or not something is "iconic" isn't up to the people who make it, it's up to the audience. It's like calling yourself "awesome". It's just uncouth.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, so you're telling me a bunch of nerds got lovely about a video game ending they didn't like? Unprecedented! (If only.)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

EDIT: Can you just gently caress with Riff's audio every episode even when everything goes well? He thinks the listeners are suuuper stuuupid so he deserves it anyway.
What?

coyo7e posted:

As opposed to lazy fools who never learned how to use a library card catalog?
Yeah man, you stick it to that guy for asking a thing!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Touhou's problem is more or less the same problem with "visual novels" and anime in general - thanks to the more vocal, more visible elements of their fandoms, they've basically got a reputation on the Internet as being "for perverts".

In other words, weeaboos keep poisoning the well of Japanese culture in the West by being garbage people.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tyma posted:

A lot of Japanese media really is created with check-boxes, and marketed solely towards perverts, but I don't think Touhou is anywhere close to being an offender. It's just that if you make a game where the main characters are the age of high schoolers, that's what the characters have to look like. It's no more offensive than something like Dexter's Laboratory, because the characters aren't really doing anything except shooting each other with magical energy bullets.
My point wasn't that Touhou's bad, it was that the worst of Touhou's fans have poisoned the well of "common knowledge" about it by being awful. Most anime, and most Japanese media in general, is produced for normal people. There's a lot marketed to perverts, but that's not even close to a majority, it's just thanks to weeaboo anime fans that's the image.

quote:

Each man kills the thing he loves
The fisherman caught in his own net
It's frightening that you deserve
The audience that you get.

The Beatles found out with Helter Skelter
And John Lennon saw it in Mr Chapman
And the Stones learnt from Gimme Shelter
You're only as good as your fans.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fair point. I thought about including My Little Pony, Tool, and Homestuck too. Although I don't know, Homestuck might deserve it, I've never read it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

Oh man if you want to talk about Japanese TV that stuff is for real monsters.
:ssh: Those are just dudes in rubber suits

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I fail to see why Homestuck gets more props than Axe Cop.
Axe Cop is good and isn't a pandering handjob for shutins.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Honestly I've never understood speedruns as an audience thing. I always got the idea from the player perspective, but it seemed like a thing you'd have to be super into the game to really be able to appreciate.

After that AGDQ Super Metroid race and the talk on Retronauts about how they're really sort of exploring what the game is capable of and how it's put together and whatnot, I actually kind of get it now.

I still can't really get into Let's Plays, but maybe I just haven't found a really good one yet. Slowbeef and Diabeetus' Retsupurae channel on YouTube is pretty good though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Really wishing I'd downloaded and played Alpha Protocol in time for WOFF now. I totally forgot Taipei was in it as a location, and since that's where I've lived for a few years now....

I only just got to the Taipei safehouse, but so far I'm pretty impressed. The stores out the ground-level windows are all actually in Traditional Chinese (not Simplified, which is what they use in China), and are correct, sensible names for the stores. They also made the shower one of those "handheld" things, which is basically the default kind of shower here. The odds of getting a ground-level apartment anywhere in Taipei are laughable though, but not nearly as laughable as the idea of a shithole apartment with a wooden floor.

Also if I'm reading that satellite map correctly, I think the safehouse is about here, which isn't actually in Taipei City, although I guess it is in Taipei County (or now New Taipei City), so close enough. They also picked a place that's such a crowded, rundown shithole no-one would ever think to look for a rogue superspy there. When it was still classified as its own city, that area was the second most densely populated city in the world, and it's right up the road from one of Taipei's industrial armpits.

I'll be interested to see how it goes from here. I fully expected "Taipei" to just be Stereotype Hong Kong with a different name, but even just with that start they're actually doing pretty good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well, one mission in and... today's lesson is "there is such a thing as giving someone too much credit." All the signage - all the signage - in the Grand Hotel is simultaneously in the wrong written script and horribly translated, most likely by Google Translate or a relative. The latter's pretty self-explanatory, but on the former, you know how people make fun of the voice actors in some Ubisoft games for playing non-Canadian characters with obviously Canadian accents? That's about the closest I can think, except in this case it's writing and not speaking, obviously. Except it's a little grosser when you remember Simplified Chinese is the writing system of a country that literally has thousands of missiles pointed right at Taiwan.

Oh and this? The view out of the Grand Hotel?

That's loving Hong Kong.

This is the Grand Hotel:

And this is the view (out the front, at least):

Touch wood things get better - all the names of people work and make sense so far, which would've been way easier to screw up - but my expectations have definitely been lowered.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

The word that Idle Thumbs' last episode couldn't recall to describe Peter Dinklage's contribution to Game of Thrones, is probably "gravitas."
Or "acting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is that bald time traveller from 1998 Arthur "the human wet blanket" Gies?

• Locked thread