Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

VGHD (and by extension the KoL podcast) has been much better as of late. I remember there was a dogged refusal to stop using words like "retarded" or "gay" to describe things (that may have come about before VGHD was a thing), but they've been much, much better about potentially distasteful things like that while not being afraid to still be themselves.

As I recall there was a discussion about this with Zack in one of the previous incarnations of this thread and it got them to change this (or at least seemed to be one of the factors that caused the change). It was a very nice thing to witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

The only pronunciation chat that's allowed in this thread is Danielle Reindeau's Rhode Island accent.

FUCKIN' CASE CLOSED.

A fuckin' cybahpunk cop-killah case no less.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Add one more for the android/beyondpod combo. I haven't noticed any issues really.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

God, that's amazing. A real eye-opener.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SoulChicken posted:

The adverts have cooled me off idle thumbs a little. We get an intro, a middle and a final ad skit, talking about their "friends" at Squarespace and Naturebox.

I know it's a part of podcasting nowadays and you deserve to get some cash back into funding the podcast. I'm happy skipping past intro and bumper ads. But you guys are the last people I would expect to go all in on the chummy shill that just feels a bit creepy. Spend years building trust and integrity, then choose this slightly insidious way of advertising.

Not a big deal, I'll still listen and I'm still glad to be on the wizard wall.

The cool thing about Thumbs ads is that when they say they like a thing you can trust them that they actually like that thing. The World of Tanks discussion made that very clear. I'm in favour of how they do it.

I'd probably be just as happy to kick in a couple bucks a month on a patreon and get it ad-free but this is still entirely acceptible to me because they've shown themselves to be worthy of trust.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

I was older than the average Minecraft-playing kid when Quake 1/QuakeWorld was a thing (I was in early high school) but almost the entire delight of that game was scavenging the internet for mods and patching them in and then bringing them and our PCs to a friends house to experience them on a LAN. Vanilla Quake was always fun enough, but as a group of friends, the "real" game almost entirely became mixing and matching mods and trying to make the game be weird and fun in temporarily insane ways, then running around in that world together. Given the crazy poo poo people mod into Minecraft, and given my experience with Quake 1 15 years ago, there HAS to be some similar motivation going on.

Oh man, this was like an instant memory bomb for me. So many days/nights spent with TF1 and the Killer Quake Pack. It even inspired me to make my own mod though it never went very far.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I remember setting up Quake so it would work over the LAN at my Dad's office. Three of us would play constantly, which was probably not good for his business at the time. Then I discovered mouselook, and all of a sudden they couldn't keep up. Then I found the grappling hook mod, and they stopped playing me completely.

Mods ruined my childhood, is what I'm saying.

Quakehaters dot tumblr dot com

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

He's sort of a ding-a-ling, though, with what of his personality comes through on the GWJ podcast.

Those are different Shawns/Seans, or did he become a regular since I stopped listening? Shawn Elliott was on GFW and that follow-up with Jeff Green and N'Gai Croal.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

While we're airing out old WOFF grievances [...] Sacrifice [...]

Oh gently caress, I knew there was something I'd been meaning to do still.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

I was mostly impressed/he-chose-poorly'd that Jake mentioned ancient classic Mac game Cannon Fodder.

Huh, I didn't even know that one came out on Mac. You're talking about the Sensible Software classic right? I have no idea how it relates to Worms, really.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Urh, they both started out as Amiga games.

Yeah, that's what was confusing me. Thankfully Al! cleared it up.

Editing gorillas.bas was one of my most fun early programming experiences. And so much time lost to scorch...man. Good times.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Song For The Deaf posted:

I don't have a satisfactory response to this.

Adding up the time commitment for the network, it regularly approaches having a second full time job. Most of our income goes right back into the network, so my draw from the proceeds doesn't even come close to matching my day job income. That means I won't be doing JUST podcasting, which would free up about 50 hours a week, any time soon.

I'm either preternaturally tolerant of isolation or I don't know any better because I've been doing this for pretty much my entire adult life.

Well, this post got me to chip in to your Patreon for whatever that's worth. Keep on keepin' on guys.

I there an origin story for that wacky duckfeed name btw?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey bonfire dudes, just curious, are you guys in touch with Elajjaz? He's my favourite speedrunner to watch by a reasonable margin and is just a chill dude in general. I think he'd be a lot of fun as a guest as well if you manage it at some point.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

I've watched something by him but I can't recall what. I'll look into him a little more and put him on the list of people to reach out to about Bloodborne. Thanks for the headsup!

Cool to hear! He's had the best time for all-bosses runs in DS2 on several occasions. I prefer those over the any% runs because those are just skipping too much cool content for my taste. You might have watched one of those.

He's also got some pretty amusing invasion videos involving gimmick characters/techniques, like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXabqeXQCM

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Losing that Dark Should savegame was just too funny. Made me donate! Shane I don't have time to watch today.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

Announcement in the next episode!

Fingers crossed for Lords of the Fallen.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It is not a bad game, but there is really nothing there worth talking about to fill a whole episode. And whatever story it tries to tell is completely laughable.

I kind of like when the guys laugh at things so this would be excellent for me. There's plenty to discuss I think, the discussion just isn't likely to be as positive as that about the real Souls games.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whichever woff guy wrote the latest backer blog: I vote we legitimise your typo and refer to canon as cannon from now on. It's more martial and makes about as much sense.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, hearing that Star Control 2 is coming up just put the biggest grin on my face. And Zack on as well, that's a double whammy.

I think SC2 might be the DOS game I spent the most time on by at least one order of magnitude. Most of my childhood paper detritus is gone by now but
I still have a notebook with a list of starmap coordinates for things like the rainbow worlds, particularly valuable mining/eco planets and goodness knows what else. The writing in that game still resonates on many levels with me. The humour of the Spathi, the pathos of the Ur'Quan/Kor'ah/Dnyarri, the crazy mysteries of the Arilou, Chmmr...Fantastic.

That's not even mentioning the melee mode. I had one classmate at the time I spent a lot of time with and we played literally hundreds of matches. At a certain point we just flat out banned the Arilou because with good relexes it was just possible to beat every other ship with it. That and the crazy annoying Pkunk were always my favourite ships. He had the most fun with the Druuge, and just seeing how many ships he could take out before crashing into the planet. It's crazy to consider the kind of ballistic math we just internalised: hitting a rapidly-moving evasive target with a single shot from a rapidly-moving gun platform that slowly rotated with very low precision...

Anyway, good times. I look forward to your takes on it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tir McDohl posted:

On Video Games Hot Dog, Zack has some pretty crazy opinions and ends up in long disagreements with the other hosts.

I think just by virtue of working together for so long, those dudes have taken disagreement to an olympic level.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think I would even be a little bit mad if the next episode of Idle Thumbs was just two of the Thumbs doing a dramatic reading of the RPS/Molyneux interview.

Given Sean's relationship to Peter that seems unlikely.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

When are we going to ever get another interview with Molyneux?

The next time he wants to sell us something. I don't understand this perspective at all. One of the points that the interview so clearly demonstrated is that Peter's perfectly willing to keep on talking as long as someone's interested in his responses. He's not exactly gone on media blackout since.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

The only thing is... Holy gently caress you all (David especially) need to go to Toastmasters or something and get the phrase "y'know" beaten out of your vocabularies.

Is David the fella who pronounces it 'yo' as well? That drove me nuts. I'm shallow :(

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well it mainly means you get to read his stories for the first time at some point in the future, so really you're in an enviable position.

Yeah, this. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Milkman posted:

Her anecdote from the British map guy talking about how SimCity is unmistakably an American game was really interesting. Never really considered that perspective for a thing like SimCity before

I remember the discussion coming up in one of the podcast threads when the Thumbs were all over the new simcity.

• Locked thread