Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ulta posted:

So I guess that Besties "We'll put an episode out before the end of February" thing is kinda shot, which was a shame, because the January episode was pretty good. It might be too early to count them out, but I'm pessimistic.

I don't know why they have to stick to a dumb format. Just record yourselves talk about games jeez.

Anyways I believe Jake video games Rodkin is the host of idle thumbs.

ITS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh people were bitching in this thread about Danielle? What? She owns man and is one of the better parts of polygon.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whoah I had no idea about anything of this Luftrausers stuff that thumbs talks about this week.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I was laughing so hard when Nick Breckon lost his mind about Ac4 and his live journal.

Congrats Nick

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kids don't follow was also a good rock band (dlc) song. Rock Band owns.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat Jake I had the exact same reaction/emotions about both the ET thing and the Star Wars cast thing. I know a lot of people in real life that actually got excited about it and it really confused me. I guess they loved the urban myths, but I think we've all known about it because of the articles published about it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Scorchy posted:

I really liked the previous Tim Schafer and especially the Jake Solomon episodes though, those were super cool and I learned a lot.

Same here. I was really sad when they ended because Tim and Jake had a bunch of cool stories.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Man, 2006 Chris Remo kinda cared a lot about review scores.

Also wow 2006 was a long loving time ago.

Chris thps3 is a perfect 10/10 game and I will fight you. (If you still think that way that is)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

I thought this was a decent stab at the motivation for a lot of the bullshit the last couple weeks have highlighted:

I definitely agree with this because in a sense I too was also that dorky/nerd kid that was bullied and made fun of for playing video games and not sports way back when (except I'm not a white Caucasian dude). People just really hold on to video games as if its their only thing that makes them unique. I remember getting mad when people that made fun of me would start playing games and stuff and it made me really jealous and angry back then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

To be fair, the Dominos in Petaluma closing did suck. Did they talk about that? I think one recently reopened.

Yeah Jeff talked about this a bunch even before Dan was even hired. Dan is like this weird enigma where he hates change so much he still eats food like he was a kid and even though loves anime things like metal gear, swears it's not anime because anime is for dorks and metal gear is cool and rad.

The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle. (Also listening to brad rip his hair out each week is hilarious to me)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow captain invictus Chris actually read what you said about Danielle, that Polygon is squandering her. :laffo:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I miss the old days of TF2 where it had a really nice artstyle and you could tell which class was which from afar and it was good times. Now it seems to be all about hats and other silly nonsense like that. Can you even recognize the classes under all that poo poo?

I have never understood this since if you play any TF2 at all you can still tell who is what class. Hats are cool geez.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Wasn't he the one who made that bad post about atheism or something on here?

The very same.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

VDay posted:

So I stopped listening to it a while ago (and also apparently they just stopped doing them a couple of months ago without saying anything because lol commitment), but Polygon's Besties podcast is coming to a close because everyone not named McElroy is leaving. I saw Justin talking about how he wants to start a new video game podcast a while ago, and they should just have Polygon license/co-sponsor MBMBAM episodes. Just throw in a mandatory 10 minute segment in the middle about which video games they all played that week and it'll be fine. Travis's opinions about video games can't be any worse than Russ's were.

I had no idea that Chris Plante left to work at the verge, but they literally couldn't find anyone else at polygon to fill in the podcast? Oh well I guess sometimes the besties was good and most of the time it was kinda bad. New York Giraffe rip

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jippa posted:

I've never actually seen twin peaks. There has to be some cheap but legal way of doing it. Just checking amazon it's £20 for 2 series which is pretty fair I suppose.

It's on Netflix and Hulu.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tae posted:

The best episode of Twin Peaks is the one called Deadly Premonition.

Swery hasn't seen Twin Peaks, guys.

There is literally a picture of the twin peaks in the game. Literally

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Gamers bullied in highschool now are the bullies themselves now that they have a sense of power.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
People like different things.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

What are some good "edited" podcasts? I'm not interested in a bunch of folks yammering away for an hour and a half or talking about the latest news and previews. I'm more into something akin to a longform article about video games but in podcast format. PC leaning if available.

http://alifewellwasted.com/

Other than this there really isn't much else in terms of game podcasts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah count me as someone who was completely lost during my first watch of the wire's pilot but then totally loving it on my second watch. The wire loving owns.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

anyway RIP sean vanaman 2014

He's depressed he got bopped in the rektreational by a goon team. Fuckin studio

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chris Remo posted:

This kind of thing is so common in games. One of the things you learn as a developer is how you can never predict the range of ways your game will be played, both by people intending to play it in unexpected ways and by people who are just playing however they play and getting totally different results. It's one of the reasons I find it really tiresome when people complain about dollars per hour and how they're not getting enough value, because as a developer you'll see that somebody took four hours to complete your game and somebody else took 20 and they'll both claim this is just "how long the game is."

Chris did you really think Portal 2 was long? I think maybe some parts dragged on a bit more than others but I don't know I thought it was a good length (still kinda short) but not mega short like portal 1 was. I don't know I don't really have a problem with long games if they're fun. Unless if its boring bullshit like something lets say along the lines of final fantasy 13 (the whole game was bullshit) then yeah I can see where length can be an issue. I spent like 80 hours trying to beat something like Dark Souls and thought that was a great length too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Capra Demon was easy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Every time TB says something really stupid on twitter I always reply to him with a link to his infamous IQ post here on SA. It never gets old.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chris Remo posted:

Someone should write in with fighting game balance knowledge to questions@idlethumbs.net

I just wrote in! Its a long email and I'm sure I got some things wrong but whatever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dan just seems like he doesn't want to deal with real life adult stuff because its too complicated and would rather live a simple life just living in an apartment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Jet Set Radio has the best soundtrack ever created for a video game.

I also count JSRF when I say this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

You should hear what he grabbed for the last boss of Sonic Rush.

Yeah.

He's the loving best.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dota is the only game that matters.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

Inspired by all the Dan talk in this thread, most of my contribution to this week's Idle Thumbs is talking about how much of an idiot I am, and what dumb situations I get myself into, when it comes to doing things normal people seem to understand. Hopefully it generates like 6 pages of hate and bafflement towards me.

If you only ate Taco Bell for like 20 years exclusively before branching out to other parts of their menu then maybe you would reach Dan's level.

Maybe.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Mario Mario and Luigi Mario

I like that movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The best part of the episode was the end when Sean didn't understand Justin. That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hey jake go play monster hunter 4 ultimate and then either throw your 3ds across the room/fall in love with the game and sink hours into it.

• Locked thread