Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbot posted:

You could probably make a documentary based off the last 20-25 years of design and how patterns and trends emerge. I mean, the biggest innovation in FPS these days are reusing ideas from 20 years ago (the whole mobility stuff in Titanfall and Advanced Warfare) and the response is like the whole genre got reinvigorated or something.

The solution to the problem is to not look at AAA games for progress in gaming. Consider antichamber for instance.

al-azad posted:

My kingdom for a well edited retrospective podcast. Breaking down what works and what doesn't, comparing it to games of the time. Something deeper than just "I played this, here are my thoughts." I'd listen to that. Is there really no audience for that?

Three Moves Ahead does this, a lot of the time. They have done a few interview shows and a couple of "focus on one game" shows where they really get into the mechanics and how well they help the game presentation and playability.

For non-video game related, Mark Rosewater's "Drive to Work" spends a TON of time on (table top) game development. Primarily Magic: The Gathering since that is his day job, but lots of the stuff he goes into can be generalised into whatever design discipline you want. And speaking of amount of editing, his MO is to talk into his iPod while he drives to work. The length of the episode is determined by how long it takes him to get to work. He does no editing at all; if he makes a mistake he either leaves it in, or deletes the recording and tries again the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

It's been that way for a while, ever since the mid-90s when they introduced that the echidnas were an ancient race of vaguely American Indian protectors of the chaos emeralds, complete with Aztec-ish tribes and ziggurats.

Sonic has always been loving embarrassing, I just want to enjoy my Genesis games in peace.

Someone in a bsa post-a-panel thread had a long effort post about this and it is entirely the work of the writer Archie Comics brought in to run their Sonic Comics. It is basically professional deviant art work that only came out in N. America while Sega was busy not giving a gently caress. After they fired him for being awful, he sued everyone involved for control of his original characters (do not steal) which had some weird legal things happen because Sega was really concerned about the outcome but didn't want to be directly involved. Archie very nearly lost the liscence over it.

Apparently the UK Sonic the Comic comics were very good.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

It looks like 2d state of decay from what I saw from the ql, what differentiates it besides no zombies?

A partnership with a UN established charity? (War Child, if you're curious). I haven't grabbed my it yet but it is on my purchase at full price list, so thanks thumbs!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I happened to listen to the Rock band and hardware episodes in the same week and damnit Gary it's "tell me all your thoughts on god". How do you get it wrong on two separate episodes? Also that song is very poo poo but was so overplayed it became a part of me.

Also the Commander Keen music drop in the hardware episode got me to say " YES" out loud so thanks for that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Designer Diaries is an awesome podcast that has taught me a lot about games. One of those things is that designers are really bad at microphones.

Jesting about sound quality and mic banging aside the newest one is a Paradox designer talking shop with two Civilization designers. Lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm listening to my podcasts for this week, and I listen to Abject Suffering where they drop a reference to pacman 2, then listen to the retronauts podcast on the same game. I thought it was a weird coincidence. Then I listened to the designers notes episode where they talked to a guy who worked on 1 vs 100, and on the bombcast the first letter was: "hey do you guys remember 1 vs 100?". I'm scared to listen to podcasts now. #askquestions

• Locked thread