Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

I'm replying to a months-old post, I know, but MS dictates that people refer to the Xbone as "Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft" on every press release, and it stands out like a sore thumb every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Minecraft is this generation's Doom.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EC posted:

Anyone listen to Quality Control, the new podcast from Justin Mceleroy about video game reviews or something? Kind of curious what it's like.

I haven't and will not listen to it but I strongly suspect it's awful, just based on that description.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't say "janky" y'all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pasco posted:

And I really can't wait for companies to stop trying to turn 30 minutes of film into 20 hours of game. A:I is just the latest offender, I'm tired of games taking the most self-indulgent and overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf and apparently thinking "eh, could have been 4 times as long".

Do you mean Alien: Isolation? I haven't played it but it sounds like the complete opposite of what I'd call an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf".

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 8, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

doctorfrog posted:

Since it's still actively being discussed in podcasts, I guess we can kick the ball around some more here. Otherwise, maybe we can talk about these dumb sexist guys in another thread.

It's still being actively discussed because the pretend-ethics crusaders have been become more ruthless in targeting specific individuals and have dropped the pretense of caring about anything but punishing people who make them feel uncomfortable. Yeah, anyone with half a brain worked that out long ago, but the discussion isn't just about picking sides, it's about working out what the hell to do with these shameless idiots who can't be pressured or reasoned with.

Some people argue that upping the rhetoric against gamergate just galvanises the worst elements of that community and makes them more determined to lash out, but really, what other choice do people have?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

coyo7e posted:

I try to engage them in a civil discussion in a public forum, and then when their friends and family step in to defend them via the "they have black friends"-I mean "they're a really nice person when you get to know them" defense, I sit back and continue being politely and backing up my poo poo with facts, and eventually the douchehat flies off the handle and embarrass and upset the people who were defending them - just like the guy who sent me an internet-tough-guy threat yesterday - he ended up kind of shocking everyone who'd been on his side and made my point for me.

edit: you don't "up the rhetoric" you bait them out into the light and then let it burn them. Sometimes it might even involve calling the cops if they're actually monsters.

See, I think that'll work on most people, but I feel like we're gonna reach a point (if we haven't already) where the only people left are the pathetic, helpless Elliot Rodger types who are too unreasonable to be reasoned with, too shameless to be shamed and impervious to peer pressure because they see themselves as peerless, even within their own stunted little cliques. What then?

"Upping the rhetoric" was in reference to where the conversation seems to have gone in the last few days: that is, focusing on getting big media outlets to acknowledge and condemn all this horeshit, not just as a way of confronting the perpetrators but as a way to increase mainstream awareness of the issues and attitudes that inform GG so that people can challenge or at least identify them within their own social circles. It'll be impossible to keep all these people from holding repugnant views but we might at least be able to prevent them from shooting up an auditorium or whatever other insane schemes might culminate from this whole ordeal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Right behind "sandwich artist", yeah.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can probably imagine why it doesn't already have its own thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am fully aware why, and know that every single other gamergate thread has either been gassed or are honeypots. But does that mean this thread should be the tent city for the homeless gamergate discussion?

People are talking about it because that's what's being talked about on a lot of the podcasts people are listening to? The conversation kicked back up again in this thread because of some other dude asking why people are still talking about it, even. It's not hard to parse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TetsuoTW posted:

You clearly didn't read any of those threads if you think what's going on in here qualifies as the homeless gg discussion. Everyone in here is relatively sane and civil.

He means "homeless" in the sense that people are talking about GG in this thread because they can't/don't want to talk about it anywhere else, which may or may not be true.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I know you're not looking for an answer to your question but Bayonetta 2 came out, like, a few hours ago. Alien Isolation and Evil Within just came out, Smash 3DS has been out for a little bit and the Wii U version will be out soon enough. You're probably not a fighting game dude but the upcoming Guilty Gear game is ridiculously, undeniably pretty. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of obvious poo poo I don't care about... Far Cry, Sunset Overdrive, whatever.

EDIT: D4! Someone has to have bought an Xbone at some point, maybe?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

coyo7e posted:

For real, thanks. I haven't heard of many games coming out this season and it's been getting frustrating - I'm spending my xbox $$$ on fishing lures and gas, instead. :unsmith:

stuff

I had to struggle to think of anything coming this season, too, mainly because near every game has been delayed into 2015.

Here are some more you might care about : Civilisation: Beyond Earth (Civ Rev but sci-fi, just released), the upcoming Dragon Age sequel, Lords of the Fallen (Dark Souls clone by ex-Witcher devs), two different Assassin's Creed games (one for next-gen, one for current-gen), a new Borderlands game, Little Big Planet 3, a bunch of remastered games (Halo 1-4 collection, GTA5, Kingdom Hearts), and that's ignoring all the Nintendo games, handheld games and indie/kickstarter poo poo I can't think of.

There's a decent gamut of noteworthy mainstream releases, even if most of what the publishers promised isn't gonna show up for a while.

RE: Alien Isolation, that game has won over a lot of skeptics, so you might wanna pay it a little more attention. It's a very specific type of horror game that can only really sustain itself for so long but it's great while it lasts and it definitely nails the atmosphere of the movie better than any other Alien game, or any other licensed game for that matter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ja2ke posted:

Hey all, wanted to let you know that we've got a new podcast series starting this week on Idle Thumbs.

The show is called "Designer Notes," and it's a new series of developer interviews, this time hosted by Soren Johnson (who you may know from his appearances on Three Moves Ahead, or his new studio Mohawk Games, or more likely from his role as lead designer on Civilization IV). The first guest is Rob Pardo, of insane Blizzard pedigree -- Rob was a designer on StarCraft 1 and 2, WarCraft 3, and World of Warcraft. You can check it out at http://idlethumbs.net/designernotes

The closest parallel in format is easily Tone Control, though I'm sure the mood of this cast will be a bit different as Soren and Steve are different people with different personalities. Tone Control was also twice a month, while Designer Notes is monthly.

There aren't nearly enough developer interview podcasts around, gonna give this one a shot. I don't know if Soren Johnson still has a mohawk but please ask him to change his haircut.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bouchacha posted:

I asked not too long ago about edited podcasts and "A Life Well Wasted" and "Unlimited Hyperbole" were the only ones that really fit. Both are excellent and exactly what I was looking for, but both are discontinued. Is that really the extent of the pile for gaming podcasts? I'd kill for a "99% Invisible" style podcast that talked only about games. I recognize editing things down takes a lot of work, but I only listen to podcasts when I can focus on them (cooking, gym, biking, walking, etc) and can't handle unconstrained blather.

Pretty much. People do podcasts because they're easy and cheap and don't require much discipline, and you can potentially get away with being as self-indulgent as you like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think people are severely overstating the amount of time and effort required to make something of a higher quality than the average gaming podcast.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TetsuoTW posted:

You mean like at least one dude who is actually involved in making a podcast? Yeah, what does he know?

I'm not saying it doesn't take effort or skill to make a good podcast, I'm saying the vast majority of gaming podcasts are made by people with no skill or talent and no game plan beyond "lets talk about stuff I guess?" even though they have nothing interesting to say. There's nowhere to go but up, really.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm not even gonna try, so yeah, I can do better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is the gaming podcast thread, you can just say sensible or informative things, you have to butter people up with at least 45 minutes of fast food chat beforehand.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just listened to the Idle Thumbs thing on Smash and while I can't be bothered to send you an email I will post a few things:

-Most of the big Japanese arcade publishers/platforms use networked, always-online machines that can deliver updates and new content at a whim, so that whole "service" aspect isn't foreign to fighting games; Tekken and Virtua Fighter have been doing it for pretty much as long as Steam has been a thing, for example.

-Sony/Microsoft made it really difficult to constantly apply the sorts of regular updates you might expect for a "service game" like TF2 or DOTA or whatever - there were restrictions on the size of patches, what constituted a patch vs a title update, the amount of changes they could make before the platform holders started charging, etc. (I'm talking PS360 here, I don't know how different things are on PS4/XB1.) Even as more and more fighting games are ported to PC, the console is still the primary home market for these games, so PC patches only really come in tandem with console patches.

-A lot of fighting game players don't want the sort of regular balance changes that are typical of games in other genres because they want to be given time to work out to exploit/counter things on their own and they don't always trust the developers to patch things sensibly. Moreover, a lot of players will stop putting serious time into their game if they fear that their hard work is gonna be nullified by an upcoming patch. Skullgirls is a game that suffered greatly in this regard - they had a ton of momentum and hype for their game at launch but it died off really quickly after a) the devs regularly announced big ambitious balance patches that would fundamentally change a lot of characters' abilities, and b) they continually failed to deliver any of those patches (mostly for reasons beyond their control, but still).

-The majority of people buying fighting games on consoles aren't playing competitively or even necessarily playing against other people at all, so there isn't the same imperative to constantly adjust game balance since most of the audience doesn't notice or is unaffected by imbalance.

-There are fighting games that deviate from the traditional distribution model: both the new Killer Instinct and the latest Dead or Alive have free versions that give you a few rotating characters for free with the option to purchase the rest of the game piecemeal, Namco has a couple of single-player f2p fighting games on PSN that are packed with mobile cash shop bullshit, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EDIT: nevermind, I didn't mean for that to sound as accusatory as it did.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 3, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TetsuoTW posted:

Why do you care?

I don't, really, that's just my prevailing memory of Retronauts based on the few episodes that were recommended to me. I guess people aren't so bothered by it if they're still doing it, huh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TetsuoTW posted:

Then why bother asking?

Idle curiosity? Why do you care if I care? I don't think anyone's enjoyment of Retronauts is contingent on my level of interest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Woffle posted:

Maybe because your question was rude and snarkily worded and the hosts of that show post here and you probably know it?

I did know that but had forgotten about it until now, so yeah, my bad. Sorry, dudes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Invictus posted:

You said what you truly felt. Don't double back on it because it made you look like a douche.

I wasn't gonna bring it up again because I figure it's probably a pointless distinction to most people, but my comment made it sound like I was accusing them of being deceitful or ripping people off or something, which I didn't mean at all. I listened to some of those recent episodes knowing nothing about Retronauts beyond it being a reboot of some 1UP thing and it being crowdfunded, so when I heard some of the backer episodes I was expecting them to suffer some sort of backlash, given how other crowdfunded projects have been torn apart for much less, so what I should have said was "are they they still using crowdfunding?" or "have they made any changes to their format?" instead of what amounted to "are these idiots still scamming people out of their money?"

Maybe if I was more familiar with the history of the podcast or paid any attention to their KS campaign I'd have had less unrealistic expectations about what would/wouldn't annoy people, but I was clearly wrong to expect that their listeners were clamouring for changes or improvements or whatever. The shows I listened to weren't my tastes but they're still a cut above what usually passes for a retro gaming podcast, so I don't know why I singled them out as if they were uniquely bad. I was unnecessarily harsh, and for that I apologise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's wrong with the music?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Startropics disappeared because those games were designed specifically for the US market by a section of the company that rarely made software, headed up by an old-arse dude who's been around since before Gunpei Yokoi showed up and has long since been promoted out of game development.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't talk poo poo about Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, yo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

For JSR make sure you point out the song Rock It On which features a Public Enemy sample "rock that poo poo homie" and also samples Timothy Leary's "turn on, tune in, drop out" phrase. I don't know if the composer understood the samples or just chose what sounded good but it's a song that completely stands out from the bubblegummy super brothers and power of loves.

He definitely knew what he was sampling, his English is quite good and I think he lived in the US for a little while. Here's his Twitter, he replies to pretty much everyone: https://twitter.com/hideki_naganuma

Randallteal posted:

I was so glad to find the Bubsy 3D episode for Bonfireside Chat. I spent a lot of time as a kid playing games covered on that show, but Bubsy 3D stands out in my memory as by far the shittiest.

It's crazy that it was released contemporaneously with Mario 64. I don't think it's a great game, but when my sister and I loaded it up on Christmas morning, we probably played it for two or three hours before even entering the castle, just exploring the outside area and marveling at the 3D movement. I had the same experience a few years later with Everquest. The first time I connected and created a character I spent an entire evening just walking around one of the starting towns watching other players doing their business and thinking "this makes all other video games obsolete."

I always loved this particular quote from an interview with the Bubsy creator: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/97672/Playing_CatchUp_Bubsys_Michael_Berlyn.php

quote:

"They had put out Bubsy 2," he said, "and just about killed the franchise. So we came on-board and did Bubsy 3D." That game, one of the first experiments in bringing platform game design to a 3D world, shipped at just about the same time as a little game called Super Mario 64. "I took one look at Mario and said, 'Oh, crap.'" he said.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Objective game chat, by gaters for gaters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Warbird posted:

I'd just buckle down and listen to Giant Bomb like the rest of us

He's not gonna do this but it still bears repeating: do not do this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were both Mistwalker games, Mistwalker being former FF bigshot Hironobu Sakaguchi's production studio.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not about being unwilling to admit to enjoying something or not wanting to have to defend yourself against public opinion or whatever, it's about recognising that a lot of games are designed to exploit compulsions people wish they didn't have.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a bad interview from a bad interviewer about a bad person. Bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Molyneux did make one or two reasonable points in the interview but they don't necessarily apply to his situation so they don't make him any less of a shyster.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He straight up admits to promising things he didn't intend to deliver, I don't think there's anything ambiguous about that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bobservo posted:

If you like Majora's Mask, I really recommend checking out Marvelous: it's Aonuma's directorial debut, and basically why he was put in charge of the Zelda series. Like Majora's, it can get pretty dark, and the three characters with their distinct abilities really remind me of the Deku/Goron/Zora forms. Here's something I wrote about the game for Joystiq, if you're interested:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/nintendos-mischievous-marvelous-mixes-zelda-with-point-and-clic/

I wouldn't really compare Marvelous to Majora; the tone is more wacky than creepy and the way the game is broken into discrete, more-or-less linear chunks reminded me of Skyward Sword, if anything.

One of the reasons Marvelous feels disjointed and unfinished is that, like Secret of Mana, it was initially conceived as a SNES-CD game and later hacked down to fit on a cartridge. Someone translated an old Marvelous interview a while back, it covers the development of the game in some detail: http://gosokkyu.com/post/102694408602/marvelous-mouhitotsu-no-takarajima-developer

What's also interesting about Marvelous is that the team developed a couple of episodic spinoffs that were distributed via Satellaview, and those same games were later heavily recycled to form the Japan-only "Navi Trackers" portion of Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube.

Hakkesshu posted:

Check out Link's Awakening if you haven't played that also. It's probably the closest in tone to Majora; though it doesn't get quite as dark, it's very melancholic and surreal.

The main story threads for both Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask were written by Yoshiaki Koizumi, the guy who now runs EAD Tokyo, the studio that makes all the 3D Mario games, so that's no coincidence. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't write the plot to Mario Sunshine because yeesh.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

the talent deficit posted:

a minor games journalist approaching an interview in a pretty lovely manner isn't really a problem. people will stop agreeing to interviews with him. maybe he'll get fired for being bad at his job and he'll have to do something else. it's not going to ruin all of games journalism and pr for everyone else

You know there are a lot of (dumb) people out there who see this interview as a paradigm shift in games reporting, right? You can expect plenty more idiots to adopt the exact same interview "technique" until they realise that a) very few people have Molyneux's compulsive poo poo-talking reflex, so amateurish bullshit of Walker's calibre isn't gonna work, and b) most interview subjects won't allow themselves to be put in that position to begin with. It's gonna be a trainwreck, I just hope it's a funny one.

EDIT: I don't mean to suggest that it warrants the amount of kvetching done on the podcast, which I didn't listen to, just that there's a little more to it that "John Walker was too mean!' or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This might be a stupid question but how Sirlin-y is Sirlin's podcast?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread