Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The monthly format for The Besties is not doing it any favors. It's essentially the same show except now they talk about the same games and make the same points that I've heard on the other 4 gaming podcasts I listen to only a couple weeks later.

Yeah, listen to the Besties if you want to hear people talk about Threes, Strider, Jazz Punk and Thief again with neither the benefit of the games being brand new or the benefit of the perspective that several months to a year gives you on the evaluation of a video game.

edit: Oh hey, remember Twitch Plays Pokemon and fuckin Flappy Bird? Inane poo poo that I've already forgotten? Let's talk about that stuff a month later instead of as its happening. Yeah, I'm done. What a shame, I actually liked the Besties.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

What a jaded, nasty post. You should word it better to not sound like a cynical internet douchebag, even if your points are mostly valid.

Nah. The trouble with over thinking something supposed to be conversational like a video game podcast or video game forum post is self-evident with the new Besties format.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zapjackson posted:

Making an effort to be nice isn't overthinking, it's just thinking.

This thread will undoubtedly show that some people just aren't super into the idea of another "3-4 dudes don't prepare, then talk about what video games they've been playing" podcast. The Besties guys are trying different things, which is what you have to do if you want to advance the form.

I think it's admirable, especially given the amount of poo poo that gets heaped on them for having the gall to produce some free entertainment for us.

I liked the Besties and I was ready for that prep. But the Besties is the same exact show it was except 3 weeks later now, it's not trying anything new. It's like if the New Yorker or the Atlantic were simply the latest four editions of Time Magazine stapled together.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 11, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

See: the Patrick Klepek edit in one of the bombcasts where he says Microsoft won't reverse the drm stuff for a long time, and then in between the podcast being recorded and going up they did exactly that.

It was taking Kinect out of the box (Patrick knew about the DRM as soon as anybody outside Microsoft) but I agree this is an all time great Bombcast moment.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

weird bleep posted:

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics. In games with fine details and outlines, the distortion completely breaks the look that the pixel art tries to achieve. Yoshi's Island avoids this by making the sprites themselves shakey and rough looking, so the distortion of the sprites matches the look of the game. It's one of the best examples I can think of in which a developer intentionally chooses an art style to make the limitations of a system a strength.

Most people who play the game will recognise this example. Look at how smoothly the warping of the pixel art is integrated into the art style of the game, particularly the ground. If this was drawn in the Super Mario World art style with single pixel outlines, the lines would be broken and it would end up looking uglier and stand out more. You can see this happening on some of the coins in this scene.

Jesus Christ that's ugly as gently caress compared to Super Mario World. Glad I moved onto PC gaming in 1993 to play Doom and Sim City 2000 so I didn't have to deal with that.

• Locked thread