Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 2 of the second season of Walking Dead is out, and it was written by Nick Breckon. It actually has a "gently caress Nick" reference in it. I love this drat podcast :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The thing about teleporting back to your homebase would work if there was new stuff to see there all the time, but it feels like there's less NPC dialogue in DS 2 than there was in the previous games. I'm 15 hours in and have beaten like 7-8 bosses since I got there, and none of the NPCs have anything new to say, which they definitely did in Demon's/Dark. It's understandable, since there's probably a greater volume of NPCs, but during that time only like 2 of them have relocated back to Majula.

That part is disappointing, I think, though maybe they'll do more with it later? Either way, it's a fantastic game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Goddamn, you guys have the worst luck. Is that the fifth or sixth time you've lost a full episode?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have literally never heard of the fact(??) that problematic is apparently overused on Tumblr, but thank you for bringing it to my attention good sir. I shall promptly wipe it from my memory bank permanently!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I think you'll find it's what they call "90% of posts and comments on anything related to games".

You know how I know games aren't art? Because no-one calls an art critic a oval office for talking critically.

It's sad to say, but the art world isn't as widespread or accessible as video games are. I'm sure if the next exhibit at the Guggenheim reached out to millions of people all over the world who barely had to lift a finger to complain, there'd be a lot of cunts thrown around, too. It's kind of beside the point, but this same kind of stuff happens with every mass-media phenomenon. You might say it's even problematic!

Complaining about someone using a word entirely appropriately is some loving cuntshit, btw

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Woffle posted:

*AHEM* :angel:

If anyone has thoughts about The Forrest of Fallen Giants that they want to share with Bonfireside Chat, please send them to us by Saturday at 11AM PST. We'll be joined by CJ from the excellent and fun Twin Humanities Podcast.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

Just wrote in, maybe went a bit long, but I really like this area. Looking forward to the cast :)

Edit: Jeez, sorry, I just realized I might have inadvertently mentioned something later in the game, now that I think about it. Ah well, I didn't go into any detail, but it probably still counts as a spoiler. Bummer!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 4, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chris Remo posted:

Lack of strict objectivity doesn't necessarily mean "this reminds me of this experience I had in my life." That's ONE way of writing criticism but I don't think it's the only way to write personal or subjective reviews. What's more important is an ability to look at the game holistically, in whatever way seems appropriate for the particular game--contextualizing the game meaningfully, and evaluating the choices it makes relative to all the other choices it makes, as opposed to the traditionally "objective" style of game reviewing which seeks to establish some kind of consistent scale by which all games can be judged. I don't think the way I feel about this is heavily at odds with the way you do, depending on how one interprets the first sentence of your second paragraph.

Hey Chris, I'm curious, how many samples did you end up using for the backing vocals in the new theme song?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had one of those and I just gave it away to some random guy because I hadn't even considered the shadow of the idea that it would be worth anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to say it, Idle Thumbs should discuss more than just video games. I want to hear what Chris has to say about the new season of Louie :3:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I get the feeling that 90% of Japanese television involves a panel of celebrities laughing at other people's horrible misfortunes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

The only reason I knew it existed at all was because there was a gross neckbeard guy who rented a place next door to me back in like 2004, and he had a Trogdor sticker on his car. I assumed it was a band name for a long time until I googled it at random one day.

Ironically the next place I moved had that dude's twin, who rocked a KoL bumper sticker on his car. That was how I googled and found out what it was, too.

Two cool bros :cool:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Man, 2006 Chris Remo kinda cared a lot about review scores.

Also wow 2006 was a long loving time ago.

Haha, I saw this earlier today, and it's such a good example of what Jake was talking about when he dug up some of his old forum posts. Most of us probably said some really horrible things online at one point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wish the Thumbs guys would set up a Patreon or something so I could just pay them and get an ad-free version of the cast. It's not even that I think they're bad, and I don't begrudge them for doing it, but none of these products really apply to me or my location (I really want one of those loving Nature Boxes :( ) and they tend to disrupt the flow of the cast.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They're often pretty amusing though.

Yeah, they are, I just don't like the feeling of interruption they often create. I'd probably have less of a problem if they were just at the start and end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Akuma posted:

Yeah I probably should have just said that there are other things like Nature Box that exist in the world outside the USA. Graze has existed for years.

That's UK only, so just as useful as Nature Box.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Are the Suikoden games actually "Outlaws of the Marsh' or are they like most Saiyukis and barely even related to the ostensible source?

They're inspired by, not directly connected. It's a fairly standard fantasy setting where each game is based around gathering 108 "stars of destiny" to form an army and defeat the bad guys - each game has a bunch of different flaws, but it's probably still my favourite RPG series ever because of how well-developed the overall world is, and the ways in which each game touches on stories and characters that are merely hinted at in the others is super interesting.

The fact that it remained a relatively niche series and then just died out of sheer neglect is one of the biggest bummers in gaming.

Fun fact: In an interview with Warren Spector, he claimed that the first Suikoden was his primary influence when developing Deus Ex because of the way it dealt with choice and consequence.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast came out one day before Timesplitters, and it had dual stick shooting...

... Er... I mean, the single analog stick on the left controlled movement and the diamond of face buttons let you give digital suggestions as to which way your character should look. That game was really designed with the DC keyboard and mouse in mind.

The original Turok had an option for using the C-buttons as movement and the analog stick for aiming and it was the best way to control that game. I've kind of always had a soft spot for using the left stick to aim since then - I do way better in games like RE 4 than I do in regular twin-stick shooters because of this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When was the last time the Thumbs did a stream of anything? I guess they stopped because they're busy with a video games, but I kind of really want to see them play The Forest.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that'd be good too, since I feel like they've always appreciated games that try to simulate a very specific thing like that. In any case I wish they'd do something, even if it's just once a month.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

I've always called the Souls games the 3D Castlevania games I always wanted.

Yeah, a lot of the wait for attack -> get a few hits in -> die in like 4 hits yourself dynamic of Dark Souls is very reminiscent of the classic Castlevanias. Obviously there isn't much platforming, but there's a similar lineage there. Also I think it would rule pretty hard if they made a Souls game that was just about exploring a gigantic gently caress-off castle :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Adult themes is a really vague term, but I would like the series to deal with actual things like themes and subtexts. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are probably the most "mature" games in the series and consequently also the most interesting from a storytelling perspective since they try to tackle metaphysical ideas and things like loss and depression.

I generally don't have a problem with the tone and feel of the series, but Skyward Sword came dangerously close to just being a kind of vapid, predictable retread of everything that came before it (somewhat salvaged by Groose). Basically, Zelda can be more than it is - I think what it really needs is genuine emotion, a strong creative voice that is driven by more than just "hey we gotta have the Triforce and Ganon and Zelda and Link". I understand why it follows such a rigid formula, but imagine if they tried to dramatically play with the setting, like an entire game set in the underworld or in, like... space, and then try to base the game's tone and feel around that. Other than the graphical style, this is probably what's most appealing about Wind Waker.

It's sad, because I love Zelda, but I look at something like Mario Galaxy and 3D World, and those games are just so far beyond any modern Zelda game (even Wind Waker in my opinion) in terms of creativity and just sheer force of brilliant design ideas. A Link Between Worlds is the closest the series has come to replicating that feeling for me in well over a decade, but for the most part it's lacking that emotional core I associate with my favourite Zelda games. It does have a lot of personality, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 10, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobservo posted:

Yeah, when Nintendo called Skyward Sword the biggest Zelda ever I think they meant to say "it's filled to capacity with N64-era Rare bullshit." If I recall, you have to go back and collect notes in all of the old areas, right?

No, just in that area. You still have to go to every region twice, though. I'm one of the few people here who will still maintain that Twilight Princess is an awesome game, but I thought Skyward Sword was 80% filler garbage. I almost couldn't take it.

Basically gently caress any game that makes something as cool as swimming around a huge underwater forest a tedious collectathon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Al! posted:

It makes me sad that Danielle doesn't just talk in her natural accent, it's delightful. Someone should tell her it's ok to talk like herself but that sort of thing is probably really hard to reverse.

Late, but I just listened to this podcast, and yeah I'm kind of legit bummed that she doesn't talk like that all the time. Thick accents are the best.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The reason it is pronounced that way is because it's the typical case to pronounce g followed by an i with a soft g and not a hard one. Words where you don't do this are considered exceptions to the rule.

Oh jive me a break mr. Jrammar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? I think the bombcast is better than it has been in a while, thanks to the inclusion of Dan and Brad becoming host. It's great.

Definitely. This last episode was really great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I still think the chemistry is good and they're still pretty funny however, it's just that I honestly am unable to recall anything that they've discussed recently, except how annoying/sketchy it is to move around arcade cabinets.

They have no direction anymore, and either need to find someone to steer, or need to just let the GBcast quietly die and then focus on their anime shows and whatever else. (I do not care for the Whiskey Media brand and most of what they do is entirely uninteresting to me, though.)

Have you seen or listened to anything Giant Bomb has done for like the past two years? You do know Whiskey Media does not exist anymore, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Hot news tip, plenty of people never visit all kinds of websites. Not everybody lives on reddit. I spend far more time reading actual books and listening to podcasts in an average day, than I spend in front of a keyboard. When I was at a different stage in my life I hung out on digg and giantbomb and stuff but the only reason I go to websites like that any more is when I'm bored and watching TV and doing other poo poo, I certainly don't care about upvoting news stories or editing wikis about video game soundtracks. I think outside of linking that Too Human video the other day, I haven't been to Giantbomb in probably 6-12 months.

Then again I'm at a point in my life where I don't sit around stressing about videogames (partially in part to their not being any good games I've heard of lately, and plenty of good opportunities to go to the beach, go fishing, go hiking and camping with friends and my dog, etc.) I am planning on going through the bonfireside chat cast again now that dark souls 2 has been out long enough for them to cover all the areas however, half the time I'd rather listen to a gardening or world news or history show.

So yeah I guess I'm a myth. I'm the gamer/nerd who got tired of being one, and who now goes outside and gets a suntan instead (my average posts/day on SA has gone down by easily 30-40% from what it used to be, for instance, and I mainly post in the gardening/DIY/fishing/etc threads instead of writing OPs for whatever game I'm looking forward to being disappointed about *cough Thief cough cough*. I'd hope that someone who's had an account on SA for over 13 years for instance, doesn't participate at the same rate as they did when they began. Things change, people change.

I'm truly happy for you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Needs more chrome demons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I forget how it went exactly, but I believe he got someone fired for playing Cards Against Humanity on some stream saying he wouldn't allow such filth in his presence or some poo poo like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

I really need to go back play V all the way through one of these days, I keep hearing about how good it is. All I remember about it is that the graphics were kind of terrible and really basic for a game that came out in the same year as Final Fantasy XII. Granted, comparing any game's production values to a FF game isn't super fair, but I remember the environments/towns especially being just completely flat and boring. Maybe playing it on PCSX2 will help that a bit.

Suikoden V feels like a budget game in a lot of ways. You can really tell Konami didn't give them a lot of cash to work with, so it looks like something that came out on the Dreamcast, but they managed to make a great game anyway. It's way better than 3 or 4 at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't clicked this, but I like how you can tell just from the preview image that the guy who made it is loving unstable.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

The funniest moment in that video, for me, was the moment I realized this is a cultivated image. Gropey LaVey chose to dress like that, talk like that, light his videos like that, clumsily fumble with his backward zippo and cigarette like that. Well, maybe not the "clumsily" part. At least the other turbogoon just kind of pointed his laptop's webcam at himself and talked. Mini Mystery there tried.

That bald guy in that loving getup with the cigarette is concentrated unlikeable. Like, all he needs is some racism on top, and he's basically the most revolting person on the planet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I guess he is literally satan then

Edit: God drat it, they're actually trying to rebrand racism as "human biodiversity", this poo poo is unreal.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 30, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RetroHelix posted:

Firewatch looks rad as heck.

Through Twitter, I asked the Thumbs if Hernry was voiced by Rich Sommer and Chris faved it SO I TAKE THAT AS CONFIRMATION!

Good catch, I knew I'd heard that voice before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nier is actually a pretty short game if you avoid the sidequests, which you totally should since they're awful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

To be fair though you absolutely have not finished that game if you don't play through at least the first NG+.

NG+ goes by super fast, though. I think I got the last ending in like an hour and a half.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, they say the Bombcast gets over a million downloads, but clearly they don't get that many video views on the regular. I can see not getting that into their quick looks nowadays since there are so many alternatives out there if you just want to see what a game looks like, but their premium content is straight up the most entertaining game-related internet video bullshit being produced today.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No joke, they've made some of the best video content in the site's history in the short period following Dan Ryckert's hiring.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chris Remo posted:

Haha, that business card is from 2004/2005. My girlfriend found it when we were reorganizing/tossing a ton of stuff in my apartment.

(Edit: I thought it was funny to claim that I accept bribes because at the time literally nobody had heard of us and the idea of anyone offering us a bribe was utterly absurd. A decade later I have still never been offered a bribe.)

Then what do you call Kickstarter eh smart guy? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll be honest, I don't like the ads, and I would rather pay for a Patreon. But I don't see how they're creepy or shilly at all.

• Locked thread