Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Besties objectively rules. Suck it nerds.

If Idle Thumbs records an episode, does a documentary, or does spinoff of their new game it needs to be called Campo Santo: Firewatch With Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I had the exact same impression of Don't Starve as Zack and I played the final as well. I'm sure it's wrong or whatever but when you open the crafting menu for the first time it looks like there really isn't much to make. Now I didn't really take to Don't Starve because I don't like babysitting meters and wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon the crafting ingredient I need but that was the impression I got over the first couple of hours.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

This Zach guy sounds like a real rear end in a top hat.

On the other hand Video Games Hot Dog is my favorite shitteo shame podcast.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pasco posted:

A necessary evil? :crossarms:

Man, some peoples views on Unions are hosed up.

Yeah that guy sounds very ignorant and uninformed and I almost stopped reading his post.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also I'm p. sure you're talking about Zack, except he doesn't sound greasy enough to me to sound like Navarro. Even listening to Navarro makes me want to wash my hair.

e: No, three exceptions, Jeff Gerstmann, Nick Breckon, and Alex Navarro's hair.

I like Alex Navarro quite a bit but that man is his gross greasy goatee made into a whole person.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I just realized that the older Alex Navarro gets the more he looks just like Steve Buscemi from escape from LA

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

"Problematic" isn't a tumblr meme, it's just overwhelmingly the word used around internet social justice circles to describe sexist/racist/etc. elements in media and society, to the point where it starts sounding like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

I agree that people should use stronger language but the reason people use the word problematic is that straight white males treat calling something racist/sexist/homophobic as the equivalent to a racial slur and fly off the handle. This seems especially prevalent in gaming circles where people are particularly hostile to criticism about the things they like. So now if you're a games writer and you say, for example, Bioshock Infinite is racist who boy get ready to not only receive death threats but 10,000 word essays from pseudo-intellectual Reddit/Goon types about no YOURE the racist. It's safer to just say Bioshock Infinite is problematic where only the most honed of anti-social-justice-warriors will flip out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fingers of Fury posted:

ah right ad hominems and memes (critical thinking) truly the most refined art critics who don't deserve to be made fun of here on something awful where the internet is never mocked

So let me get this straight you think the concept of critical thought is a meme?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chris Remo posted:

I think the concern is more that South Park can, for example, teach schoolkids to use "Jew" as an actual nonironic insult. I don't buy that this doesn't happen, because South Park came out when I was in middle school and kids absolutely absorbed a lot of the surface level parts of that show without thinking critically about it, because the show is entirely watchable as simply a hilarious offensive thing. It's not a matter of people being "correct" or "incorrect"; there's lots of media that can be unpacked at a super deep level, and also can be enjoyed at a surface level, and who cares. But there's also some media that can very easily advance attitudes and speech that, in all likelihood, it does not intend to literally advocate, and I think it's entirely reasonably to bring that up as a matter for discussion and criticism without calling for censorship or elitism. No media is off-limits to criticism, and there are lots of reasons to criticize things.

Chris, I literally just saw an episode of South Park that suggested that people can and should use the word human being as a general pejorative because it's a totally cool and fun word to say as long as you're not specifically calling gay people faggots (unless they're acting like faggots of course).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

After hearing it discussed on the last two or three episodes of Idle Thumbs, I'm still not on board with the staunch anti-objectivity stance with respects to game reviews. I wonder if it might be a difference on what "objective" means in my eyes vs yours. To me "objective" means that you're taking out any sort of personal connection or investment you might have in the work, and looking at it simply as-is. An example of this is that when I was in grad school, it wasn't out of the ordinary for my advisor to be skeptical or simply not believe in a publication put out by one of his collaborators, even if they were working with us on something else at the time. It was never a knock against the author, but at the same knowing and working with the author didn't stop him from looking at the argument of the paper with a critical eye, which is really important.

I really think that an effective game review has to lack any sort of personal backdrop in order to get the message across to a wider audience. A reviewer can write "this story really pulled at my heartstrings because I know the writer was thinking of ______ when making it" but few other people are going to also know that going in, so that's not an effective argument for the game in such a case. I do think it's OK for a reviewer to say that some part resonated with them because of an experience in their own life, but again I don't think that's very effective because not everyone has that experience to call upon.

On the other hand, towards the end of the most recent discussion I felt that you guys might be "objective" as "how much of this experience can we quantify?", which I'm totally fine with being against. I don't think you should put a discrete number to every part of a game for the reason I stated above, that not everyone is coming into a game with the same knowledge or goals. I think it's why stuff like Giant Bomb's Quick Looks or Let's Players on Youtube have gotten so popular as ways to show off and discuss games, because for the most part they just show the game and let the viewer interpret it as they wish, to an extent.

I can't believe you got all the way through grad school without learning the difference between objectivity and subjectivity in criticism. What were you, a STEM major or something?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

This is a relatively last-minute request, but we're taking responses for the Hardware episode of Watch Out for Fireballs!. We're looking for your stories about weird controllers, regular controllers, weird consoles, and regular consoles... Did you blow on a NES cart? We'd like to hear about it.

http://duckfeed.tv/contact

We're recording tomorrow (Saturday) around 12pm PST, so we'll take responses up through then.

I feel bad because I don't have time to really respond but I own a TrackIR, which is this weird head tracking solution you strap to a baseball cap. It's mostly used for weirdo flight sims but I ended up using it for mouse emulation in Skyrim. But not for like intense face pointin combat but just to find a peaceful place to park and look around while the day night cycle passes over you. It was also great with Proteus for similar reasons.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I've caught up on Idle Thumbs and I have something to say. You guys should love Dave Barry. I listened to an old audiobook of his recently and rediscovered him and he is if not intentionally a pioneer of the kind of everyday humor plus references plus stream of consciousness plus a little dash of morbidity that funny people on the internet use. I'm not kidding. Whether he has that many points of contact, I think his style of humor is hugely tied up with the way jokes are written on the internet.

Cf.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLFKYbacZPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNjfShLldYE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it makes me so sad that print humorists wont be a thing after dave barry dies (i know about shouts and murmers in the new yorker and mcsweenys exist which are basically the action potential you get if you staple a nerve between new york and california).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I wouldn't say he's a pioneer of podcasting though, more like a comedic lion of newspaper editorial columns.

He's not a pioneer of podcasting (althought I'll admit that I consumed most of his stuff through audiobooks as a child) but I really do think that his kind of humor literally criss-crosses the kind of jokes we make in every way

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I'm sorry, I just don't know who this royal "We" is referring to, sorry.

Sorry I used inclusive rhetoric to underline a point.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I wish that Nick was playing closer attention in the beginning of AC4 because you actually are working for a sub-studio of literally Ubisoft in the fiction, just because it would've probably blown their minds if he remembers this. You learn this in the first 15 minutes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

Giantbomb Australia beef totally leaked into this weeks episode of Idle Thumbs via reader mail, and no one had a clue what was going on.

I hope it just keeps spilling into other podcasts and escalating until Australia nukes itself.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dear WOFF,

gently caress AYERS ROCK

That is all.

Love,
Al

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

Haha, yeah. That Replacements song is my favorite from Rock Band 2. I immediately jumped on the opportunity to include it in an episode.

What is Ayers Rock, Al!?

Sincerely,
Kole

Alex Chilton is some top shelf Replacements, so I'm actually pretty surprised it was in any kind or Rock Band game.

also: Uluru

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

I tried to get rid of my old Rock Band stuff on Craig's List years ago by listing it as free to a good home. I got no responses...

If you have a good home you sure ain't reading craigslist.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Not that you need another thing to eat up your time but do you ever think about doing a podcast or video series of Hex Crank, Cole?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Can I tell you a shameful secret? I mostly "read" Hex Crank via Siri because I work in HR which is basically the highest paid job you can get where you might spend an hour working as a file clerk once a week. If you had a small scale Kickstarter to have your blog read by I dunno goon va Lou I'd contribute at least 40 bucks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Was "chippy" always a word used to describe electronics giving a person attitude, the equivalent of a human being lippy? Because that should really be coined if it hasn't.

The English will probably murder you if you appropriate one of their cutesy slang terms.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sell it and use the money to replace some of your real teeth with gold teeth

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

If this is in the US that would be more like a quarter of a tooth

WELL THEN obviously he will have go to another country to get them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Szmitten posted:

When are you announcing the limited edition physical release of Firewatch that includes a statuette of the iconic watchtower?

The funny thing is that a firewatch tower actually is iconic. I'm almost certain you can buy one inHO scale.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

Sorry, bit of an old running joke from their Kingdom of Loathing podcast.

I love when the old running jokes show up like Blive Barker because they are a hilarious and b must confuse the gently caress out of people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

VGHD stats: ow my brain.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

Just listened to the newest Idle Thumbs and I wanted to point out that a lot of Japanese indie games have actually gotten translated releases on Steam after Recettear and Cave Story proved that there's definitely a market for them. I'd say I'm patiently waiting for the Touhou series to hit Steam but the creator is a famously insane drunk who hates money and westerners, so gently caress him.

I'd wager a lot of westerners would be uncomfortable with children in sexy costumes so maybe he's better off.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

There's no sexy costumes in Touhou, let alone worn by children, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that one.

Maybe I've only seen creepy fan art but I was under the impression that Touhou entirely stares prepubescent girls in costumes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Found Sound posted:

The Video Games Hotdog guys are running a livestream right now, developing content on the fly for Kingdom of Loathing. See how video game is made!

in my head jick still looks like neil from the young ones to this is literally TORTURE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

He didn't get to my gil gerard galaga galaxian gilbert godfried or the ur quan masters question

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Phone posted:

Eh, gonna be a pedantic rear end for a second but it sounds like you're coming off that Japanese television is a the sole source of Japanese culture.

I know this isn't your intention.

Oh man if you want to talk about Japanese TV that stuff is for real monsters.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I thought Homestuck was that stupid cartoon/comic with the dude in the luchador mask and boxing gloves who talked about trogdor the burninator all the time.

You take that back.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Phone posted:

Oh my goodness, I would play the gently caress out of Wake Up Sheeple.

And so would most of D&D.

You're in luck, it releases in 2 days.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Well, one mission in and... today's lesson is "there is such a thing as giving someone too much credit." All the signage - all the signage - in the Grand Hotel is simultaneously in the wrong written script and horribly translated, most likely by Google Translate or a relative. The latter's pretty self-explanatory, but on the former, you know how people make fun of the voice actors in some Ubisoft games for playing non-Canadian characters with obviously Canadian accents? That's about the closest I can think, except in this case it's writing and not speaking, obviously. Except it's a little grosser when you remember Simplified Chinese is the writing system of a country that literally has thousands of missiles pointed right at Taiwan.

Oh and this? The view out of the Grand Hotel?

That's loving Hong Kong.

This is the Grand Hotel:

And this is the view (out the front, at least):

Touch wood things get better - all the names of people work and make sense so far, which would've been way easier to screw up - but my expectations have definitely been lowered.

They got the railings right.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Man, 2006 Chris Remo kinda cared a lot about review scores.

Also wow 2006 was a long loving time ago.

Welcome to the a steady march to the grave!

Also:

quote:

I haven't played Getting Up either, but I don't really think I need to.

The more things change the more they stay the same. (Just busting your balls Chris don't worry)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Twitch posted:

Is there any way that Abject Suffering will finally do that Bad Mojo episode, now that there's an updated version on Steam/GOG?

I'm not sure whether or not to buy Bad Mojo. On one hand it seems pretty unique, on the other it might make me physically ill.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

It makes me sad that Danielle doesn't just talk in her natural accent, it's delightful. Someone should tell her it's ok to talk like herself but that sort of thing is probably really hard to reverse.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sometimes when I need to unwind I look at a bunch of animated whogivesafucks of cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

It's definitely on the verge of being run into the ground.

If people would just let her talk in her native accent this wouldnt be a problem.

• Locked thread