Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So running lean on podcasts lately, I decided to dive in to Watch out For Fireballs.

I have now listened to the vast majority of the episodes, along with all of Bonfireside Chat up to Dark Souls 2 which I haven't played yet.

I really love the podcast. Your dynamic, voices, and checklist of references are all great. Keep it up.

P.S. You guys are bad at Metroid Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Has anyone read Air Force Gator?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phone posted:

I don't have it installed, but I can only dream of "injecting skeletons into everything" and "occasionally talked about skeleton issues related to gaming". :allears:
Wait, are we talking about Kole now?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wait, remix? The original does the die die die die die thing, did I miss something?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Song For The Deaf posted:

February, we will talk about Star Control II
Aw

Yeah

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

There's a fine line between being dumb and being inexperienced. A lot of things that Dan is "dumb" about are things he's never been exposed to, like mortgages and most food. He's pretty open about learning things, but sometimes he does the Ironic Guy bit a too much like calling transformers a show for children while under the same breath talking about GI Joe storylines for half an hour.
He's right though, Transformers is unwatchable and GI Joe has comparatively coherent plots and story arcs.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

To clarify, making fun of Kole for saying Cycle of Samsara is not me making fun of him for being literary, it's for making the same literary allusion many times over. And lest that make me come off as mean, I also make the same references over and over and fully expect to be made fun of as well.
Having callbacks is fine as long as it's not overused and is balanced with new content, just like Homer trying to balance the water in the tank to balance out the fish and Mr Pinchy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've been avoiding it since I haven't played DS2 and am waiting until Scholar of the First Sin, so I'm excited for some more stuff to listen to until April.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

I really only think there are a handful of great Zelda games, a couple of good ones, and a whole lot of blah ones. It's like the Metroids series but with less contrast/distance between the wheat and the chaff.
There are only two bad Metroid games. :colbert:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Gary and Kole, have you guys heard of Hybrid Heaven? I feel like it's a bit redundant for WOFF with you guys having done God Hand, and I don't think it's bad enough (or interesting enough in a 30 minute chunk) to be worthy for Abject Suffering. I was just wondering if either of you have played it and have any thoughts.

Also, after initially skipping all the extrasodes, I'm going back and listening to most of them (I'm hungry for content.) Between the extrasodes and the weird tangents you guys go off on during Abject Suffering, my favorite parts may be you guys just talking off topic or riffing on unrelated jokes. Keep up the great work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It is seriously good looking for an N64 game. This screenshot obviously has emu sharpening but the faces actually look like faces.

Of course part of how they did this was having empty cube shaped rooms with a max of two models at a time.

For those uninitiated:
It's a plot that's Psi Ops levels of nonsense. You play a genetically engineered soldier who fights a bunch of Ninja Turtles and Guyver style mutants. The gameplay is kind of like Parasite Eve where you run around real time, then to attack you swap to a menu system where you choose from a long menu of specific types of punches, kicks, and wrestling moves. When an enemy attacks you can choose specific responses like evade or counter. You have location based damage as well as level up your body parts individually.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 11, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Prefacing this with the note I have never replayed it since it came out. I do recall the game being very dialogue/"cutscene" heavy and that combined with how long individual fights take means the entire game is super slow. That's why I didn't suggest it for Abject Suffering. With the pace of gameplay and asking of exposition I don't know that thirty minutes would even get you out of the prologue, where IIRC you aren't even the protagonist yet.

I do think the game has solid underlying mechanics though and it's worth looking at as a game trying to do a unique thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Listening to WOFF Extrasode 39 with Gary giving out bad comic advice. Y The Last Man and Transmet are way, way better than Ex Machina and Planetary, respectively.

• Locked thread