Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

regulargonzalez posted:

Lord Remo's description of Calculords made me want to play it so bad. When he was wondering who the target audience for it was all I could think was "Me! It's me who is the target audience!"

Too bad it's not out on Android :(

It's me, too. Also I don't have an iOS device. Funny how everyone into magic cards and math games owns an Android phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Trexy posted:

This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

Are you saying that there would have been less poo poo about what she said if she had just used the word "bigoted" to describe South Park?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

coyo7e posted:

It's similar to that asian comedienne's CancelColbert thing recently, where she wanted to point out that having a white male use racist quips to speak to a broad audience in order to poke fun at other also arguably inappropriate racism, is, well, problematic.

I agree with everything else you said, but this is a bit of a sticking point for me. Obviously there exists a very thin line between "making fun of racism" and "real actual racism," but the colbert thing seems to clearly fall in the latter. How else would a parody comedian mock a racist?

There's a huge difference between the view of "racism is over so I will use racist terms casually" versus pointing out how racist something is by drawing parallels between it and something more evidently racist.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I was able to get it on Podkicker this morning.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There was a million pieces of cosmetic DLC. The fact that they used the item "Aiden Pierce's Iconic Cap" in those discussions doesn't detract from the point as it applies to Watch Dogs, and especially not to their point about preorder bonus content as a whole.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Concerning the retronauts speedrun episode

A2600 speedruns are really taking off recently. There's been a whole bunch of new TASes. A couple examples:
http://tasvideos.org/4291S.html
http://tasvideos.org/4114S.html

Werster was being facetious when he said that the character name affected RNG in pokemon. He named the character YSG because it was an in-joke. If a runner ever tells you that they're doing something to manipulate luck, they're usually joking.

The label actually does change for different versions of a game:
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/version-differences

About emulator usage, it's not that emulators aren't used because they're considered to be imperfect (well, not the good ones). Many people run Ocarina of Time on emulator. The reason that iQue runs have to be done on real hardware is that there is not an iQue emulator. And the reason that SDA disallows them is mostly because of issues with verifying that the run wasn't cheated.

C-Euro posted:

I'm listening to this now and wanted to ask, do you have any specific speedruns that you enjoy? I love speedruns both tool'd and tool-less, and was really excited when I saw the topic, but about 30 seconds into the episode I realized you really, really do need visual examples to talk about speedrunning (which you can't do with a podcast). There's a Mega Man 1 TAS that is absolutely insane to me, the guy somehow makes an enemy spawn those end-the-level tokens that the bosses drop :psyduck: Here it is, and I was wrong because he makes the level just spontaneously end at one point :psypop:

I see that you haven't seen this:

http://tasvideos.org/4308S.html

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There are hackable things constantly along every road. If you don't want to do that for some reason, you can still check them into oncoming traffic.

Also, I'm pretty sure that NPC drivers can't shoot out of the cars in that game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Song For The Deaf posted:

I already liked that Danielle joined Idle Thumbs, but she steered the show directly into my wheelhouse by bringing up a video game (favorably) *AND* leading that into a bigger discussion of more video games.

I agree.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Rookie it'sing mistake.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The reason it is pronounced that way is because it's the typical case to pronounce g followed by an i with a soft g and not a hard one. Words where you don't do this are considered exceptions to the rule.

weird bleep posted:

THE G STANDS FOR GRAPHICS!!! GRAPHICS ISN['T PRNOUNCED JRAPHICS!!! TAKE MY FLYERS

THE P IN JPEG STANDS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC. EVERYONE SHOULD SAY JFEG.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jimbot posted:

The thing with calling people out if that you have to word it properly. If you want to promote tolerance and acceptance it's best do it through example. Most people's idea of calling someone out is provide a lazy "You're an idiot [racist/sexist/nazi/ect] and your opinion horrible. Grow up." It's just another form of harassment. It may not be as severe as harassing someone over their lifestyle or gender but you're still giving them the same kind of vitriol they're giving other people.

Can't blame them, though. It's only human to respond to poo poo like that with venom of your own but I think the onus is on the people who want to change hearts and minds to take the high ground without being judgemental.

It's just that this is a very difficult thing to do when there's hundreds of them, and it's on twitter, and their arguments include nonsense like "Jeff Gerstmann wants to take away your video games." It's not a discussion, like is sometimes possible on facebook. It's just a giant shouting match. It's not the platform that really inspires people to adopt the level of self-reflection that allows them to change their opinions that Chris talked about on the podcast.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Veib posted:

Also earlier I saw some guy compare this whole thing to the Arab Spring. Who the gently caress are these people? Do they not understand what the words they use mean?

Some people have a severe lack of perspective, where the most they've been wronged is when their mom forgot to pick up the pizza rolls. They can't imagine anything much worse than that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's a pretty huge shocker considering that they never really had any evidence of corruption except for "Video game journalists like socially conscious games more than 4chan posters do. Something must be up."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's tons of people who only listen to the podcast. It's just that nobody's ever seen them because they don't post on forums about it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chris Remo posted:

Haha, that business card is from 2004/2005. My girlfriend found it when we were reorganizing/tossing a ton of stuff in my apartment.

(Edit: I thought it was funny to claim that I accept bribes because at the time literally nobody had heard of us and the idea of anyone offering us a bribe was utterly absurd. A decade later I have still never been offered a bribe.)

Hey, I'll send you :10bux: if you talk about video games on your next podcast.

You can't prove you didn't take my bribe, therefore it happened. #Gamergate

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Those are the only reviews I read.

Well that and this one:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Leaving aside how silly that is (objective reviews!), wouldn't this not actually affect most the pieces of gaming press that they don't like and think are indicative of corrupting. Most of this stuff is with regards to fact based reporting. It has nothing to do with queer people liking Gone Home more than 4chan users, or opinion pieces written by women in gaming sites, or editorial content on a feminist youtube channel. Unless the issue is that people were somehow mistaking opinions for fact. I guess they're just angry they clicked on the Opinion Piece and not the Fact Based Reporting (Source: Press Kit). But, then they hate actual investigative journalists in games press, who are so extremely rare, you'd think they'd be championing the ones that exist.

What does guaranteed and unmoderated comment fields even have to do with journalistic ethics or integrity?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm finding it very hard to understand their point of view. Like, how can you not see that representations of women in games is bad? How is that even up for debate? They latch on to the smallest of poo poo, as if somehow this proves them right. I've tried to understand. I've watched their youtube videos, but it's all tiny, petty things (press woman a once shared a house with gameswoman b. twitterwoman c said a swear on twitter). To them, they're huge bombshells that prove corruption in games press. I've asked them why they hate Anita Sarkeesian. They hate her because she's a liar. She's a liar because you lose points when you kill the strippers in hitman, which she didn't mention in her video. It's all a big pile of meaninglessness, and to them this amounts to something. I really want to understand where they're coming from, because a lot of them seem to really mean well, and it's not just crazy 4chan people who believe this. Real people who I know believe that it's just about corruption, and they don't really question why it's always directed at women.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Are you saying that those aren't her games?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Novolin posted:

Saints row 2 had a gender slider. Not a binary switch that looked like one, a straight up linear gender scale. It owns.

I was thinking today about the potential for the gender option in a character creator to be a fill in text field. As long as the character has no visible gender identifiers, like if they're in a space suit, it works.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

doctorfrog posted:

Even the Something Awful forums give you the ability to self-identify as a porpoise with a non-specific gender.

When talking about me, please use "Xe" or "This Moron"

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of crazy hat bullshit, valve just, about an hour ago, pushed an update to tf2 that made EVERYTHING marketable. Bills hats, max heads, earbuds, soldier medals, everything. Sheeeeeit.

There's still a ton of stuff that's not marketable. I'll find a use for these moustachium bars yet.

e: it's also great that I can just sell my max hat and not have people sending me messages anymore.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
And minecraft came out in 2009, but it wasn't a cultural phenomenon in 2009.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Novolin posted:

Jeff's Jar Time videos are great, they're basically solo video podcasts.

Is there a reason why he doesn't put out Jar Time as an audio podcast?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chris Remo posted:

Back in the early days of Idle Thumbs, I used to edit the podcasts a lot more heavily than I do now. At this point I basically chop out a break, crop it to the beginning and the end, bookend it with some dumb garbage if something funny is available, and that's it. There are times I miss doing elaborate or experimental things with the editing, but the amount of time it took just becomes untenable when it's added on top of all the other things you have to do in a day. It starts to make it all feel like a chore, which is dangerous when the thing in question isn't your actual job.

I do like that you fade in the theme song. That's a nice bit of editing flair. But, yeah, editing every minor bit is a lot of work for potentially marginal gains. Sometimes it even hurts the cast, especially in your case where you have a very relaxed tone, and you could be hurting the flow of the conversation by cutting it up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ulta posted:

Her dad was 18 hours of static or farts or god. Basically having doubts about god makes you a dumb baby and being a rich billionaire means you get to go to a cool space station. I haven't read the book, but I do imagine it is better since the movie is cold space farts.

Edit: there is something in my brain that makes me irrationally hate this movie. I have to accept it and live my life the best I can with this crippling disability.

I don't really know what to say except that your reading of the film was wrong, both in terms of text and subtext.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Maybe someone should split the parts up. Who's that youtube man who does all the fancy stuff with your podcasts?
There's value in each half individually. Either you want to be spoiler free, or you just finished the podcast series on a first watch and want to go back and listen to the spoilers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

Look! We have two women who agree with us! We're making a valid argument guys!

Also LOL at their Patreon page saying they have no agenda. Literally everything anybody creates has an agenda. If your goal is to shoot down Anita that's your agenda, how transparent can you be?

Agendas, like politics, are thing only the bad people have.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If 2013 was Year of the Bow, then 2014 is Year of the AAA Wet Fart.

Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, and Destiny. Are there others?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phone posted:

Idle Thumbs.

Idle Thumbs is great and all, but it's not really what he's looking for.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's why I consider the speedrun time to be the only objective measure of the length of a game.

TESIV: Oblivion is a poor value because it's 5 minutes long.
Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game because it's 5 hours long.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What do SSS+ games look like?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If the intent was to actually present a "truth is in the middle" argument, it did a poor job. Nothing lampoons that argument better than presenting it 100 years removed, where the middle is in a very different place.

Like, if they did a south park episode about slavers and abolitionists, and at the end of the episode, there was a monologue about how both sides have merit, that would be seen as a parody of that approach to issues.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kuddles posted:

at least they weren't explaining the concept of water to him again.

When did this happen?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably the ugliest thing ever televised

You should send a lengthy email to idle thumbs about your adventures in poop barony.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The 200th episode of idle thumbs has already passed. You mean episode 200, the 225th episode of idle thumbs. At least, that's what it is going by the number of entries in the rss feed. There's probably more that aren't on the feed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tir McDohl posted:

I guess the thing that really annoyed me about the latest Thumbs was the hyperbole connecting this to GamerGate. Maybe was not your intention, but I felt like you were saying that people like me who are mad at Molyneaux and not disgusted by RPS' interview are Gamergaters. I think the association drawn was unearned.

I was more annoyed by the immediate association of actual video game ethics with gamergate.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

im just happy "video games" is back in the thumbs theme. last week i had to rip my earbuds out in rage and throw my phone out of the moving car because that poo poo is not canon imo hth tia

also i hope people check out both cities skylines and ori and the forest, they're both SO GREAT

I can confirm that skylines is amazing. I've just finished daming off an entire bay and pumping all the water out to make more room. Early attempts have lead to lots of accidental flooding. I'm also using the mod that lets me make 100km^2 maps instead of the 36km^2 that is default, and I am still waiting for a mod that lets me use the full 324km^2 area. I just can't get enough.

Also http://terrain.party/ is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Spawn on Me is a cool podcast about video games and social issues in games.

Timett posted:

Brad hosts the Bombcast now

Also, Vinny is not likely to be on the podcast too much on account of living on the other side of the country.

• Locked thread