Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I'll throw my hat in for the Super Best Friendscast too. I've been listening to it for a while, but it recently found its way into being in my main lineup of shows(I have basically a schedule of things I listen to nightly at work) instead of being an interloper that only rated a listen when there wasn't something more compelling. The guys are definitely super enthusiastic and it's nice to hear people be genuinely excited about their favorite hobby. The show does come with an anime trigger warning, as they bring it up pretty frequently, but they introduced me to Attack on Titan so that's a win in my book. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

The PVP in Dark Souls 2 is a blast. Meet me on the Iron Keep bridge and dragon duel me, bros.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Nice Mena Suvari namedrop, Bob. You got a chuckle out of me.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

On a related note, are there any podcasts (other than maybe the Bombcast?) that have fighting games on the radar as anything more than a curiosity?

The Super Best Friendcast!

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Trexy posted:

I'm going to +1 the recommendations people have made for Super Best Friendscast. I had written them off for a long time because the two best friends play videos on Machinima are kind of obnoxious. If you’re on a similar boat don’t let that stop you from checking out their podcast. Yes they can be a little shouty at times, but they have a genuine enthusiasm for video games that is infectious to listen to. They also cover certain games that I find are a little underrepresented on other gaming podcasts. ie – fighting games

Also, since they play a boatload of videogames you never run in to that thing other video games podcasts run in to where it’s been a week but half the crew didn’t manage to play anything, or they don’t have anything interesting to say because they plugged a couple hours in to a game just to have something to talk about on the podcast. They never sound like they’re tired from having to play a video game. They’re the antithesis to that feeling. It’s refreshing.

More hype for the Friendcast is always good to see. It's definitely one of my favorite games casts now, I'm always looking forward to the new episode coming out. Also the newest episode where they went full Bombcast(energy drink reviews and talking about the Lang Zone) was hilarious.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Sean showing up at the end of that episode randomly just tore my brain apart.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Outside is for tryhards.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Al! posted:

You take that back.

Right this instant. :colbert:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I pretty much am only interested in Wash_Dogs for the invasion multiplayer. Could I pretty much hop into it immediately, or do I have to do a whole bunch of campaign content first?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

She'll probably be around more frequently: https://www.idlethumbs.net/about#about-page-hosts

Ahhhhh! I've been hitting the guys up on Twitter every time she's on to tell them they should make her a permanent Thumb. I'm so happy this is happening! :allears:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I think he meant Ethnic Breckon.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I've always called the Souls games the 3D Castlevania games I always wanted.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

The Pitch was and is the best Duckfeed show. If you haven't given it a chance, you're missing out on some really important innovation in your life.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Dan Ryckert is a national treasure and Giant Bomb is now as good as it's been since we lost the Nacho Boss. Dan is like a bubble boy/Jeff Jr. with even worse opinions and it's amazing.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Been using Downcast on my iPhone since it was recommended to me on this very thread. I grabbed Overcast when it was released but I really like the functionality of Downcast so I came back to it really quickly.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

cronox2 posted:

I really hope there's a happy ending to the "Alex opens a retro gaming bar" saga on No More Whoppers because I feel so bad for laughing at his Japanese bank stories this week.

Yeah me too. I've had my fingers crossed for him for a while.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Calico Noose posted:

I went through a stage of being annoyed by Dan, but some of the things he struggles with and his attempt at cooking egg whites makes me think that he may have some genuine developmental issues and now I just feel sad that Jeff tried to hire a new Ryan and ended up with Dan :(

Dan Ryckert is a Real American Hero.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

gently caress the Danielle RI accent haters :colbert:

Chris Remo ‏@chrisremo 21m
@fullbright @Danielleri @idlethumbs http://vimeo.com/102391697

This was terrific.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Zeether posted:

Someone put Retronauts 1-100 up on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

Man. What a hero.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Russ Frushtick is leaving Polygon.

RIP New York Giraffe.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I can't believe Danielle didn't make it onto that image. I would be offended if I were her.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Those two videos posted a few pages ago are incredible, particularly the second one about the "Sarkeesian Effect" documentary because one of the guys featured in it looks like Neil Strauss mixed with Kane from C&C. If you ever wanted to summarise the bizarre backlash to this with a single image, I'd just post his picture.

:laffo: That is amazing.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I just spent way too long browsing that reddit and now I want to die.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/505997480756920320

:laffo:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Dan Ryckert is a national loving treasure.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Also true.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I stopped listening to the Bombcast when Dan said he couldn't eat Tomatoes in any form other than ketchup and that they were disgusting.
I had the sudden realization that I was putting time aside to listen to a grown man whine about his bizarre eating habits and I could find anything better to do with my time.

Dan owns because he elicits posts like this.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

You realize you do exactly the same thing as they do - picking the games not on their own merit, but on political agendas of their creators? :ironicat:

Perhaps the truth...

is somewhere in the middle?!

It's not. gently caress GamerGate.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

It's fine. Nothing special, he just interviews someone who wrote a review on a game about their experiences with that game. The episodes are like twenty minutes long so it's not a big commitment, just don't go in expecting a pinnacle of modern art.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

http://www.wbur.org/listen/live

NPR's thing about GooberGrape is on right now. You guys missed Milo already but I can sum up his argument:

"MEN ARE HARASSED MORE ONLINE THAN WOMEN."

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Video Games Taco, though its release schedule is pretty sporadic.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I really can't overstate how proud I am of everyone involved in Duckstream, from all the folks streaming to the donors and viewers that gave up sleep to stick around. It was really an awesome time and for an amazing cause. I'm legit proud to say that I donated to it, you guys are all amazing.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The keyboard is as much a part of the podcasts as Gary's cat. Both are good.

True.

Also I always read it as a joke.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Zelda 2 is a Cool and Fun Video Game. :cool:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Minor or petty thing to get annoyed about, sure. But not a weird thing. I mean, there's a word for people who listen to things already, and there's no reading involved in the process. It'd be easier to let it go if I knew there was a story behind it and it wasn't just ignorance.

I'm pretty sure it's because Idle Thumbs used to be a website where people would read articles too.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Video Games just posted your pod on Twitter so I'd say you're doin' just fine, friend.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Outer Wilds is loving destroying my brain. That game is out of goddamn control.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

The reason his car was full of burger king wrappers is that secretly that's all Jake's eaten in his entire life :tinfoil:

Sorry I think you mean Richard.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Fair enough, I just find the idea of creating a series of posts talking about two things as unrelated as you and sexuality exceptionally try-hard.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Liam.

• Locked thread