Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Idle Thumbs please talk about Mad Men at the end of every podcast, the show has been on fire these past few episodes.

Sally Draper is the best character on the show :colbert:

Video games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Lone Goat posted:

No, don't.

Give iiiiiiin.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Phone posted:

This week's Thumbs: :allears:

Ethnic Breckon's Wii U story is gold.

I'm only half an hour into the episode but already it feels a lot better than their last few. Maybe because Spelunky was brought up again :)

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Funkmaster General posted:

So I read the description of this week's bombcast and now I... kinda don't want to listen to it. Can someone confirm that its okay and not 100% SJW stuff (for lack of a better term)? I can't find a way to really say this without sounding like a bad person, but I'm really tired of that discussion right now and just want yo hear some people talking about video games.

E: To be clear, a female guest is a welcome change, but a guest there to specifically discuss GaymerX sounds like it may open a can of worms.

It's a great podcast. There's a sorta-interview with Samantha about her work and GaymerX, which I thought was great, then it descends into usual buffoonery from there. So if you really don't wanna hear what you might perceive as "SJW stuff" then skip the first 20 minutes but I'd advise listening to it anyway sine it's pretty good if a little dry.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

As much as I've been on the fence on the quality of Thumbs as of late, holy poo poo was the first 40 minutes of the latest episode on point. It's everything I agree with vocalised way better than whatever I could attempt.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Even though there's been a focus on how a lot of these idiots harassing people like Anita and Zoe are in their teens, you just know there's a hell of a lot of men in their 20s and 30s that are doing it too. I mean, I can at least almost understand why some teen would do it; we all had lovely opinions at that age and hopefully either grew out of it or had someone explain to us at the time what we were doing was wrong. I know I would've regretted it now if I had twitter/facebook as a kid. Guys doing this poo poo in their 20s/30s though are what's really loving scary because they've had the time to see the broader picture and just went "Nope, I'm gonna send threats of violence/rape/death to people who have a different view on video games than me and that's totally an OK thing to do".

poo poo's hosed.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

It always cracks me up when people confuse censorship with criticism of an expressed opinion. If you can't tell the difference then frankly you're ill-prepared to defend your position at all.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jippa posted:

I agree with danielle that the internet has got really depressing in the last few months. Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

Sometimes poo poo hits the fan in multiple ways and it amplifies everything as a result. I remember feeling similar back in 2011 when a lot of crap went down and wondering what the gently caress was happening to the world. That year you had the Arab Spring, the Japan earthquake and Fukushima, The Occupy movement, Gaddafi killed, Bin Laden killed and there were also some serious riots over here in the UK just to name a few.

Sometimes events happen in multiple places in a small timeframe and, as Sean (I think) said on the podcast, we've not really evolved to cope with all that poo poo.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ElMaligno posted:

Seeing how things in the world at large have been poo poo, its going to become a mild-mannered protest.

Two exclamation marks? Careful now, let's not get carried away here.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Chris Remo posted:

(Edit: I thought it was funny to claim that I accept bribes because at the time literally nobody had heard of us and the idea of anyone offering us a bribe was utterly absurd. A decade later I have still never been offered a bribe.)

That's exactly what someone who has taken a bribe would say. Fraud Remo rumbled.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

coyo7e posted:

Does TotalBiscuit really sustain that big of a following? I thought he was just the brit who did murloc voices. I knew he had a bunch of videos but hearing Thumbs talk about how he's the #1 channel on Steam etc is kind of surprising, it comes across like he's the Joe Rogan/Adam Corolla of video game podcasts/videos.

He's got a couple million subs on Youtube and is part of a network that (I think) got bought by Disney recently. Dude's pretty big.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Song For The Deaf posted:

That episode is really important for people to hear, I think. A lot of Gamergate coverage is done through blogs, chatlogs, tweets, and John Nash redline conspiracy MSpaints, and it's easy for me to get inured to just how absurd the whole thing is. That might just be me, so I will speak for myself.

Hearing the heartbreak and resolve in her voice is simultaneously a bitter pill to swallow and a revelation. It's a tremendous benefit of the audio medium that the true human cost of this horseshit can shine through and confront the listener.

Having written that, I realize it's likely that there are people who get off on hearing Briana Wu cry. I'd prefer to hope that they are few in number and there are more people who gain a better emotional understanding of the consequences of this kind of harassment.

Came here basically to say this. That episode is very hard, but necessary, to listen to at points because it's loving horrifying actually hearing what women who are targeted by GamerGate are going through. When Anita Sarkeesian was getting so much poo poo back when she started Tropes vs. Women (doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago now that all this poo poo is happening by the way) I naively thought it couldn't get any worse but here we are, it really puts into perspective what they've been going through. The people that have been behind all these threats and harassment need to be held to account.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Oddly enough, when people talk about getting into The Wire I always tell them to at least watch up to and including the episode called "The Wire". Typically that's where things start to fall into place for the show and the people watching it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Latest Crate & Crowbar was pretty great, their thoughts on Elite: Dangerous seem particularly spot on.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I really don't see what the problem is with selfie sticks. It just seems like something for people to get self-righteously mad at as if they're above it all or something.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ja2ke posted:

Was I mad at selfie sticks? I said they made me feel old (which they do! I don't care about them one way or another but tourist spots look undeniably different than they did when I was younger because of their presence), and Remo gave a pretty succinct and accurate reason for their (and selfies) rise, in a way that was not about anger or shaming. Just because someone has a selfie stick discussion it doesn't mean they're immediately having the conversation you're apparently assuming they are.

It wasn't directed at you at all, I haven't even listened to the episode yet :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

As a Scot who has had to do some public speaking to non-Scots, I find my accent changes as soon as I open my mouth so that people can understand what the gently caress I'm even saying.

Enunciating is hard you guys :(

• Locked thread