Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey the 8-4 guys finally got around to doing that special Dark Souls episode they've been talking about forever. I'm only a few minutes in but so far I can say that their impressions of Dark Souls NPCs need more weird laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Besties is the same show it was but they shouldn't talk about ios games so much and more of the guys will have played the games being talked about. It's still got problems for sure but those are both good things.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't mind the occasional talk about a stand out phone game but that's not what the Besties were doing in their original format(s). They just all needed something new to talk about every week and it was also supposed to be a new release so there would be 1+ phone game discussed a week that nobody on the podcast or listening really wanted to hear about.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think my favorite Zach rant was the one about how password protecting phones is a dumb thing to do for most people.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was thinking about the sinners sandwich after that episode and concluded that it might be in a ballpark with and probably not that much weirder than a Monte Cristo sandwich

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I like the new Thumbs theme quite a bit. I'm not as into the new transition into and out if breaks.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
While adding drums/bass/etc to the music game genre was a necessary evolution I personally got a lot more out of the games when they were more score/competition based rather than party focused. Guitar Hero 2 and 3 were the peak for me but I still had a lot of fun and bought a bunch of songs for the Rock Bands.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That episode would just be "hey remember that song... that song was awesome...."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Stan Taylor posted:

Ohhhhh daaaaamn. New Tone Control just went out, with guest Ken Levine. Pretty excited for this one.

You didn't mention that it was the final Tone Control at least for a while. Upsetting!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Both times I've tried to get into SBFC I've run into an anime discussion that went on just a bit too long and I'd lose interest.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
His disbelief at the name "Xbox One" was the greatest.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't expect this would ever happen but next time WOFF does a Silent Hill game I'd push hard for Shattered Memories. I'm enjoying Hex Crank but I'm also a little impatient for it to get to the Playstation era. That's when the genre really became a thing.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's not a gaming podcast but Duckfeed fans shouldn't sleep on Those drat Ross Kids. I didn't start listening to it until it was showing up in my backer feed and kicked myself for not checking it out earlier.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You must have heard that the creator of the .gif has said it's pronounced like "jiff"

I don't like it either but there isn't much arguing that.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think I'd love The Last Express but the real timeyness of it freaked me out. It usually doesn't in games (I'm a majoras mask and dead rising defender) so i'm not sure why it bugged me in TLE

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You don't buy Suikoden 2 these days you :filez: it and complain about how Konami doesn't make it easily available for mystery reasons.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Woffle posted:

In fact, if anyone knows of any other inclusive con style experiences that aren't crawling with NOS Energy Party Girls, let me know.

Duckcon 2016?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I like Dan's Game Informer stories.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

al-azad posted:

At least Thumbs talks about good board games so they get a pass. What's that game with the bomb that everyone is talking about?

Or if you're taking about Thumbs and board games maybe Two Rooms and a Boom which seems cool but requires a pretty large group.

E: beaaaateeen

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy poo poo, The GIA still exists?

My thought verbatim

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Trexy posted:

This is why the Super Best Friendscast has become one of my favorite gaming podcasts.

I want to like them but they seem to spend a chunk of every podcast I listened to talking about anime which is a big hurdle for me.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

al-azad posted:

Kole Ross! In the Godzilla episode of Abject Suffering you mentioned an NES game with colored keys you were looking for. That game is Castlequest in case you haven't figured this out in, what, 6 months?

I think he figured out that it was Little Nemo when they happened to do that game for WOFF.

Edit: and just as quick as that I'm humming the Little Nemo song non stop.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 22, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Gary, I think you need to either just look things up with your mechanical non silent keyboard or get a silent keyboard that you use when recording. Saying "I would look this up but my keyboard is too loud. Kole could you get that?" like once a week on some podcast or another is as bad or worse than keyboard noise.

Just my most minor of objections.

To be fair I've never actually heard the keyboard maybe it's really frigging loud.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Annoying is too strong a word but it definitely didn't ever read as a joke to me.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Danielle brought up how she's basically played FC4 through osmosis and I'd say it counts. Last year some time Iwas attempting to make a list of every game I had ever played and found myself wanting to put things like Persona 4 on there because I watched the entire GB endurance run. It's a grey area.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ulta posted:

I seriously hope Secret of Mana does not make it, just based on how grindy I remeber that game being.

But when you're killing Rabbites with that music playing is grinding really so bad? I'm pulling for SoM just because of how nonsensical it is. Also, Wall Face.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Abject Suffering is more of a comedy show that uses the (normally) bad game as a starting point for riffin'. They only commit to playing each game for like a half hour so you aren't going to get a woff style deep dive over there. Maybe you were just expecting something else?

edit: yeah what ^ he said

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Song For The Deaf posted:

The results of our Winter Action RPG poll are in... Brave Fencer Musashi

Wow. When you said in an earlier episode (maybe on The Level?) that one game was running away with the poll I thought for sure it would be Mana. I didn't know people liked Musashi that much. Maybe I should play it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Horrible Butts posted:

You inspired me to make a podcast!
Here it is https://soundcloud.com/yesssss-2/video-games-newspaper
I'll work on having more release dates in the next one for sure

This is the greatest thing

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Warbird posted:

I'm a little disappointed that we won't be getting more new blood for the podcast, but VinCo has been needing to expand.

And getting more people in NY is the first step to getting a second podcast. I think it's only a matter of time before we have a regular BEastcast.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
God I got so burnt out on Sim City chat over the course of that release/fallout! The way they did the betas allowing people to play for an hour or whatever for a couple weeks before release then it being broken for weeks then it just turned out to be not so good...

I listen to quite a few game podcasts and it dragged on forrrrrevvvver.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This would never happen ever but everybody should wait until, like, June to do their lists. Think of all the games they would have played by then!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Song For The Deaf posted:

The WOFF! episode about Brave Fencer Musashi just went up. It was divisive.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/92

Up next is Jet Set/Grind Radio, followed by Star Control II (featuring Zack from VGHD), and then a Special Episode about Game Books (things like Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery!, CYOA's, etc...)

Nice use of the DP soundtrack in the skit. Overall not my favorite episode. Probably because I don't have any connection to that game at all but listening to it it kinda reminded me of the worst parts of a platformer episodes combined with an rpg story that I don't give a poo poo about.

Don't apologize for not liking a game people voted for. As Gary said we listen to hear what you guys think.

A game book episode will be fun. After a post was made on the Facebook about Game Books I suspected this was coming. I found an app on the android store called Lone Wolf Saga that's got all but the last few books and had a good time playing through them all for the first time in years.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think anybody who plays Link's Awakening for the first time today will have a mostly bad time. At least that was my experience. I'll quote myself from the Giant Bomb thread where we just had this same conversation recently.

quote:

I understand that the GB only had two buttons and so you could only use two items at a time. But then, they shouldn't have had so many drat obstacles thrown at you -- SO MANY times where you had to switch to the glove/feather to jump over a single pit or lift a single pot. And as soon as you left the screen, everything would respawn. This made the world map and dungeons really tedious to navigate.

On the world map there were also additional barriers like walls, rivers etc. where you had to make ridiculous detours just to get to places and the portal system was really underdeveloped (as far as I know there were only three available for most of the game). The dungeons had a lot of stupid gimmicks like horse dice where you had to keep throwing them until they both landed face up and it was complete luck if it happened.

The game had a lot of potential and doing everything the first time was fun but quickly became frustrating when you were looking for the last key you need and you pass through a room 50 times where you have to move a pot, jump over a pit, and hookshot over to something, which requires you to go into your menu 3 times just for one screen.

Game needs a modern update really bad.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 1, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was hoping new Retronauts would have focused more on individual games.

"This Bionic Commando reboot actually wasn't that bad until we found out his wife was in his arm"

Something like that.

The Fabula Nova Crystalis observation was right on point though as far as I'm concerned. I think you guys are focusing a bit too much on just FF13. That poo poo show extended way beyond that.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
None of the games came out but the impact of them planning their whole console generation around it was felt pretty hard I think.

I expect something similar from this big slate of Zack Snyder DC Universe films planned out over the next 10 years or whatever.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I actually never played it I just remember another podcast coining the phrase "wife armed" as basically a game version of jumping the shark so that was the first thing I though of. I can't remember which podcast though...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought it might be. I miss Ludwig. Was Joystiq still putting out a podcast? I stopped paying attention after the polygon split. I gave Super Joystiq Podcast a shot back aroundthat time but it wasn't the same

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The main thing I know about the Joystiq podcast was that my uncle was on it once.

Does he work at Nintendo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Every day is great at your Junes!

• Locked thread