Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Woffle posted:

See also, for my money, the SNES Sim City.

Sim City also had the advantage of having an absolutely amazing soundtrack on the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Dr. Stab posted:

I was thinking today about the potential for the gender option in a character creator to be a fill in text field. As long as the character has no visible gender identifiers, like if they're in a space suit, it works.

Really, it would work even if they have visible gender identifiers, though probably most people would not know what to make of it. Gender identity, gender expression, and gender presentation are all different things! Even if they get flattened into the same thing by mainstream society.

I haven't played it, but Sunless Sea apparently handles this well; you can choose what your character's silhouette looks like, enter a name, and choose how characters address you (out of "madam", "sir", and "citizen" I think), and I think it even emphasizes that how you're addressed doesn't need to reflect your gender, which I believe it just leaves up to you to decide outside of the game.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Another way they keep people in their ecosystem is by making the affiliate link a part of people's income. I'm not trying to cast aspersions on anyone using it, but by making people rely on it, those people have a stake in the continued dominance of Amazon. I trust Gary and Kole, but very broadly speaking, if someone is giving you money, you are more likely to advocate for them, or at least not advocate against them. Or at least I think that is part of the reasoning behind it.

Anyway I feel gross even putting forth that argument in light of current Twitter garbage, but hey.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

weird bleep posted:

Dragon Quest V kinda does what Jake has been writing Zelda fanfiction about for the past few episodes of Idle Thumbs. I recommend Dragon Quest V to anyone who has a tolerance or enjoyment of JRPGS, so I'm going to use spoiler tags here:

Dragon Quest V follows the story of the player character from birth, to him being an older man with a family. The "legendary hero" in this game turns out to be the player characters son, but he still looks up to the player character as a father and has his own weaknesses that stop him from being a flawless hero. The last chapter of the game lets you have a party that includes your wife and two children. They work together to defeat the EVIL BAD GUYS as a team, without the fact that the son is the legendary hero being important. It's been a while since I played it, so I might be getting some of the details wrong.

Enjoy this awkward live action commercial for the DS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyLhg2EwM0

One of my favorite things about this, too, is how the main character's father is built up as a great hero early on and not only is the legendary hero not your character, if I'm not mistaken the hero's bloodline actually comes from his mother's ancestry rather than your own.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

kuddles posted:

Yeah, I was shocked when I found out a lot of people found the vehicle sections boring because to me that was what made that game so special. It helped create a cohesive world that few other FPS campaigns have even bothered to mimic.

I totally agree with this, the highway section occupies a disproportionately large part of my Half-Life 2 memories because it was so effective in creating this feeling of desolation in me that no other game has really come close to before or since.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

TetsuoTW posted:

send help can't stop laughing

No matter how many times I see him, I still can't get over lovely Kane.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Stan Taylor posted:

Besides being pro-gamergate since that was a thing, the other day he posted a huge dumb post about how he thinks white privilege doesn't exist.

He apparently believes this while also believing (I've heard this from several people but not bothered to look for it myself) that it's racist that villains are often voiced by British people.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
America has an especially sordid history of racism and it's exacerbated by our (overwhelmingly white) gun culture, but as someone with an immense interest in other countries and cultures, I don't know of any country in which racism isn't a significant problem.

Video games.

EDIT:
Does anyone know of any good podcasts that have consistent participation by women? I like the few episodes of Chic Pixel Plus that I've heard, I know about (but haven't yet listened to) Isometric, and I know Idle Thumbs has Danielle, but I was wondering if there were any more.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
No one turns down Patrick Klepek.

• Locked thread