Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
This week's idle thumbs reminded me that I still haven't finished a game in Civ V yet, so I started one up the other day. :unsmith:

Also what's the scoop on the "Breckon's live journal" thing? Also the "gently caress/congrats nick" thing is something I never knew the origin of. It's bonkers, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

C-Euro posted:

Anyone else having trouble downloading the most recent Idle Thumbs (#155)? This is using the Podkicker app on Android.

Worked fine for me with Pocket Casts. I had trouble before using the free version of Podkicker where it dropped a few of my subscriptions and stopped updating them automatically, which is why I switched over to Pocket Casts in the first place. It's worth the 4 bux.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Has anyone else been listening to Draft Souls? I'm really digging how they just call out bullshit in games, but if you're a fan of that bullshit it could maybe be annoying I guess. They seem to line up with my tastes pretty well though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Probably Stan meant Daft Souls.

That's what I get for posting on my phone. Yeah, Daft Souls. Sorry.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ohhhhh daaaaamn. New Tone Control just went out, with guest Ken Levine. Pretty excited for this one.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh yeah, I loved that discussion. So much of "nerd culture" poo poo is just endless hype for stuff I don't give a poo poo about. Also I'd love to see a fuckin Von Trier spiderman movie.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Al-Saqr posted:

I might be going against the grain here, but unfortunately I think that Tone Control has been an utter failure as an experiment. Steve Gaynor pulls out these amazing guests, but unfortunately he always seems to be fumbling and bumbling around, tripping over his thoughts, it's almost as if he didnt prepare and is winging it while trying to formulate the questions in his head as he's already speaking. He takes way too long on certain areas, doesn't cover any new territory explored before in other, deeper interviews, he's never in command or really interested in specific things that might catch the eye of someone who's way into the games his guests may have made.

"sooo ummmmm about yourrr level designs... ummm... can you.... walk me through what might have been in your head as your designing them... ummm because..... to me.... as a designer.... I've always been interested in what that really means... soooo how did you come up with the level designs?"

I'm sorry, maybe I've been too exposed to proper interview podcasts like WTF of the Nerdist, I just feel that Gaynor didnt really plan or have the right mindset to really dig into the minds of the people he's interviewing and what they're really all about, this was especially damning in the Ken Levine episode, where we never really got a sense of Ken and never dug into his struggles and perfectionist streak during the designs of Infinite, and what his mindset is.

I really liked the relaxed format. It felt like I was listening in on, well, "conversations with game developers." I loved it when they went off on weird little tangents (like the xcom dude talking about that commercial he was in). Felt more natural than a professional interview and Steve just sort of followed whatever he thought was interesting. I enjoyed them.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man, new Dota Today! And it looks like Daft Souls talks about Dota as well! Yessss.

Did anyone listen to the newest Judge John Hodgman? It was about a dude who took too long during his turns in boardgames and was pretty funny, as usual.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Invictus posted:

Re: idle thumbs latest episode:

There was actually a TF2 event years ago when they gave out random Golden Wrenches to 100 different players and a bunch of them got together and started a charity drive where they raised 31,000 dollars for Child's Play and then destroyed 13 of the Wrenches after the drive ended. So Sean could maybe do something like that???

I feel like this had to have been in Sean's brain somewhere when he said "we could do a charity thing" and then "I don't know how." I still don't really know how that convinced people to give them money for charity.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Chris thps3 is a perfect 10/10 game and I will fight you. (If you still think that way that is)

It's the Citizen Kane of THPS games.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

What minute of that polygon video are they talking about?

I think it's around the six and a half minute mark?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pasco posted:

"I know one thing about Snape and two things about Dumbledore!"

That section of the 'cast was so good it nearly killed me.

Don't 'cast and drive folks!

That was making me crack up on the bus like an idiot. I really want an Idle Movie Club now. Also, knowing he's not seen Harry Potter, I want Chris to watch Wizard People Dear Reader.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Funkmaster General posted:

Tried listening to Idle Thumbs for the first time and it's really hard to listen to them referring to .gifs as "jiffs."

That's how it's pronounced. :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

cbirdsong posted:

I don't understand people who have strong opinions on the pronunciation of "gif"

Its probably the worst thing to argue about on the internet. I'm pretty excited to get off work and listen to the rest of this weeks thumbs. I hope they talk about doge gifs.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pockecasts here as well. Looks great, works fine. Haven't had a problem a single with it.

Also, I just got a Wii U 'casue I've been craving one and Idle Thumbs just keeps on talking about it. Mario Kart is SO GOOD.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Ulta posted:

For those of you who haven't played Velvet Sundown (mentioned on Idle Thumbs and Giant Bomb recently) you really must. It is the best and worst thing. 20 minutes in I was tazered, solicited and offered drugs.

It was the worst for me. I tried it out with my gf and half of our players went afk almost immediately and the other two wouldn't let us join a conversation while they talked about boning I think? I don't think there is anything you can do if the players don't accept you into conversations. Also, no robovoices :(

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Calling out lovely behavior is a good thing. We shouldn't let these weird jerks be the only ones talking.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sorry, it was a joke! I didn't mean for you to have to type all that Mr. Remo, it was sarcastic because some dumb people might actually believe something like that :(

I think podcast advertising should be a fun activity for all. Good bye. :)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I couldn't get into Isometric, much like how I couldn't get into the Bombcast. Tried a couple times with both and they took forever to say anything interesting or about video games. I really wanted to like Isometric and plan on checking out their gamergate episode, but Brianna Wu just rubbed me the wrong way even after they got past all the intro stuff (fandas and hand turkeys are discussed forever) in each episode. Does anyone know of any other gaming podcasts where the majority of the hosts are women?

The bombcast episode I listened to they talked for like an hour about food.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally remembered to check out Spawn On Me and enjoyed it pretty well. Check em out!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I think its fair to compare the current iteration of a game to the current version of another game, even if one of them is brand new and the other has been revamped heavily. Diablo got (rightfully) poo poo on at launch, but by all accounts its been greatly improved with the new loot system.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mr Scumbag posted:

I don't doubt it. Don't know how much you know about the Minecraft modding scene, but it puts anything vanilla Minecraft offers to loving shame. The level of complexity is unmatched by pretty much any game I've ever played. Running nuclear reactors to power farms in order to grow crops to generate biofuel which can be used to power a rocket to leave the planet and build a space station or explore the moon, and that's barely scratching the surface. poo poo, building a device around an area of the map and zapping that physical area (including any characters) into an in-game disc that you can then carry to another machine and zap that map areas and anyone in it into another physical place is even possible. It's loving mind-blowing, really.

Whoa does that actually work in a reasonable way? I remember messing with Minecraft mods in like 2009/10 and they were all janky as heck, but I kept trying because gently caress if I will ever be able to learn Dwarf Fortress.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That poo poo is still going on? Wait is the gbs gamergate thread sincere or ironic. I couldn't tell taking a glance at it?

That steam music thing came out after the thumbs recorded this episode, right? Really want to hear them, Chris on particular talk about that for a bit.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I think the stardock issue is that it was made by a lovely person. The rule still stands though, essentially.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Speaking of, this week's Crate & Crowbar had an annoying buzzing/ringing in the background so I had to switch over to Daft Souls when I realized I hadn't listened to it yet either.

I've also been digging Spawn On Me for a different take on games and junk.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Wasn't he the one who made that bad post about atheism or something on here?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mierenneuker posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792 (Comedy Gas Chamber, no archives access needed)
You are a richer man not having read that.

Hahaha, yesssss. People take this man and his opinions seriously.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Jesus, and then he wrote like a million loving words on that blog post. Ughhhh.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That music that was played behind Sean reading Ode to Waluigi was the loving best.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like Super Best Friends sometimes because they're the only ones who talk about stuff like fighting games, Bayonetta and Smash Bros in any detail other than "It has these characters, I played it"

On the other hand they've spent like an hour of the last month of podcasts talking about everyone's Japan trips. I went to Japan earlier this year and initially it was cool to hear but by now it's like poo poo guys I get it.

The couple episodes of isometric I listened to had Maddy Myers talking about fighting games and I think she probably talked about bayo 2 when that came out. I couldn't stand listening to Brianna Wu though, so I dropped them from my rotation, and I still feel bad about it. They're worth a shot, for sure.

I also really like Spawn On Me, but they don't seem as mechanics oriented maybe? Still need to listen to more of them, but they seem pretty rad.

Also, no anime.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
This is not entirely relevant, but some people on here might be interested. Matt Lees of Daft Souls and other game related junk is talking on twitter about how he won't be collaborating with perpetual embarrassment machine Total Biscuit anymore. It's kind of delicious for anyone vaguely following game people drama.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

What has totalbiscuit done now?

Besides being pro-gamergate since that was a thing, the other day he posted a huge dumb post about how he thinks white privilege doesn't exist.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I always forget just how long he has consistently been a huge tool. Thanks!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
You some kinda fake gamer guy??

Related, I really hope Danielle continues to make Yoshi and Toad noises forever. Every time they go into the Nintendo voice sample bits I try to imagine a toad voice with a New England accent and it kills me. A++

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally decided to listen to WOFF the other day. Scrolling though the backlog and settled on the Yoshi's Island episode and its very much my jam. Don't know why I was sleeping on them for so long.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm just gonna go through and listen to the ones on games I like/have played first. Yoshi's Island is my favorite game ever and I don't know that I've ever actually heard/read anything where people talk in depth about how loving fantastic it is. Also thinking about what a Yoshi egg actually is will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

I thought people in this thread may be interested in this

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/14/dark-futures-clint-hocking/

This is a good read, minus the weird "playing games with chicks" bits.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So did that Rock Paper Shotgun podcast reboot only last one episode or is my podcast app not picking them up or is the time between episodes just really long?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ah, ok it's not just me. It felt redundant after listening to Crat & Crowbar already, but it's still weird that they only did it for one episode this year.

In related news, a new Dota Today was released today, just two days after I reinstall Dota. COINCIDECE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
:lol:

That is a perfect real world distillation of the internet/memes.

• Locked thread