Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New episode of Retronauts about the Parappa the Rapper series -- I've wanted to do this topic for a while!

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

I don't know what I'm going to do when Retronauts finishes out it's 52 podcasts, you guys keep hitting them out of the park.

When we release the 52nd episode, the world will be bathed in rivers of lava as Yoshi's Island finally hits the WiiU's Virtual Console.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thwack! posted:

Just tuned in to the new episode, and gawd dayum this is quite a treat! For the last few months, I have been catching up on the Retronauts archives on 1UP, and on the site. By the time I'm (almost) caught up, they cover my favourite video game series of all time, and I couldn't be happier. Great job guys!

I appreciate the praise, but your avatar reminds me of how AWFUL I am at stage 6, even all of these years later. Though it's great to know other Lammy fanatics exist!

cronox2 posted:

Really dug the Parappa/Lammy episode as well, Bob jogged my memory a bit mentioning that Roxy show for Lammy's launch too.

Did you attend or watch a lousy, late-90s stream? One of our Twitter followers tweeted a few pics of the event, including a picture he got with the voice of Lammy. Weirdly enough, I Googled her, and she's been a regular character on Grey's Anatomy since the beginning. I'd really like to know what happened to the other performers.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

Speaking of Can and Jeremy Parish, can we do a Kickstarter to buy him a pop filter?

I think this episode was the last one we recorded where he didn't have one for his home setup. We've also soundproofed the vault, so things should start sounding a lot better in general.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Our latest episode of Retronauts is all about old video game media (magazines and websites), which is probably why it's nearly two hours long.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=658

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

"Problematic" is a useful word because racism (amongst other kinds of discrimination) comes in various degrees, and is so institutionalized that it's possible to be racist even if that's not your intent. The cool thing is, though, it's okay to like problematic stuff as long as you're aware of and aren't afraid of addressing its faults. Unfortunately a lot of vocal gamers think even starting a discussion about these kind of topics means you want to chuck all of their games into a bonfire, so terms like SJW are thrown around to immediately dismiss people who want to talk about more than how many graphics the new AAA cover-based shooter has.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Trexy posted:

This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

That's an even better reason to use it, then!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Dadjacket posted:

Bob Mackey I love you forever but sometimes I feel like the episodes of Retronauts that you host are solo casts because you keep to such a tight schedule and have so much information to get out yourself! You can relax and go off topic sometimes!

Love always, Mandy.

Sorry but I have all of these words and all of this coffee!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

Real quick: We're a little light on responses about Killer 7 which is surprising given that it's such a polarizing game. If you want to send something in, we still have about 3 hours til when we record. https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about this one -- I had to force myself through it, but it was definitely one of the most interesting video game experiences I've ever had. If I had to guess, Suda 51 was able to make this game because Capcom was essentially losing all of their key staff members around this time, and I think the company had him pegged as their next Mikami or Kamiya. Though I'm not sure if Suda is entirely responsible for the magic of Killer 7, since everything he's made after that -- barring some parts of No More Heroes -- has been pretty uninspired.

Oh, and Travis is rad. Weirdly enough, he's speaking garbled English you can *barely* make out if you pay attention.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

A lot of companies try to enforce their brands like that. When I worked at Gamestop, Nintendo wanted all signage to abbreviate the GameCube as GCN even though no one ever does that.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

Fair point. I thought about including My Little Pony, Tool, and Homestuck too. Although I don't know, Homestuck might deserve it, I've never read it.

I continue to have no idea what Homestuck is. Your post made me go to its site, and apparently it's a bunch of melodramatic .gifs of people powering up or something? I dunno.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey dudes, I just put together an episode of Retronauts about speedruns and I think it's a good'un: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=776

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Put together a new episode of Retronauts about Policenauts -- figured it'd be a good topic since I've yet to meet anyone who actually played through the whole thing: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=783

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

I'm with you, buddy. I don't care too much for modern Zelda games and Naavi is one of those things where, yes, it's a cliche to bitch about her but also she's the worst thing ever.

Fi from Skyward Sword is actually WORSE, if you can believe that.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

weird bleep posted:

You're totally missing out on memorable filler moments like "collect Banjo-Kazooie notes underwater 40 hours into the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsaVBCqhKiA&t=18s

Yeah, when Nintendo called Skyward Sword the biggest Zelda ever I think they meant to say "it's filled to capacity with N64-era Rare bullshit." If I recall, you have to go back and collect notes in all of the old areas, right?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

The old Retronauts episodes are down on 1UP. Does anyone have any mirrors of them?

Someone created a Google Drive account to host a ton of old 1UP episodes, though none of the 50+ I put together are in there :sweatdrop:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2zFFfjto-DjQXRENXFyaV9lRm8&usp=sharing

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Our newest Retronauts episode is all about RPG battle systems—enjoy and stuff: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=846

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I was the biggest SaGa Frontier apologist until I actually read a guide on how the ability learning mechanics work and it's goddamn inexcusable. Certain characters couldn't even learn high level attacks of specific weapon types and there was a super wrestling move that needed five other attacks arranged in the right order and there were katana abilities which were separate from sword abilities and aaaagh. It all clicked when I was younger but that was apparently straight luck. I loved the setting and music and poo poo but the mechanics were just madness.

I actually watch Let's Plays of SaGa games just so I can get ANGRIER.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Polygon already shedded the only good part of their site, Features. Now shedding reviewers. Pretty soon will be the McElroy brothers making funny videos in a basement while Ben Kuchera writes clickbait garbage pieces from his apartment.

Every video game website will be nothing but Star Wars and superhero movie news within the next five years. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

On the topic of Suikoden 2, Hardcore Gaming 101 has an interview with localizer Jeremy Blaustein, where he describes the difficulties he faced working on the game's US release. Short, but good stuff.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

MrMortisland posted:

So I couldn't stop watching that YouTube guy "ripping apart" Sarkeesian's video and I got to this part and I started transcribing it because it was so gross to listen to. Originally it was going to be a small section but I couldn't stop because it just keeps going.

http://youtu.be/HJjFoe6_gx4?t=34m45s

All True Male Gamers have the wispy doll hair of Hulk Hogan and shelves packed with anime box sets.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's been said, but the engine behind this whole Quinn issue is "a woman had sex (!!!) and it wasn't with me." I'm currently covering PAX, and I ducked into the Game Industry Rumble for a bit to check out what it was, because I've never attended it in the past. If these shitlords had any consistency, panels like this would be their 9/11: It's nothing but journos and devs, palling around and throwing inside jokes at each other for 90 minutes while a rowdy audience cheers them on. It's harmless, of course, but it's an explicit display that, yes, people from both sides of the industry have close relationships with each other.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Compulsory community service would be much better. gently caress the military.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

So many people who think they are funny. Why the gently caress does GBS even exist anymore? It's literally worse than Reddit and 4chan put together. At least on those sites you don't have the awkward SA pretentiousness mixed in with the "witty" dialogue.

I think GBS is trying to be FYAD from 10+ years ago, but it's still GBS.

Also, if I could figure out the BUILD engine back when I was 14, I'm pretty sure today's kids can do whatever the hell they want with Minecraft.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's cool, I didn't listen to the podcast episode in question--I just generally think people (outside of our nerdy circles) really underestimate what kids are capable of.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

You know what tarnishes your employer's image, buddy? This nonsense.

You don't understand: He's a pretty big wheel down at the YouTube factory!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Gary and Kole, I'm too lazy to check, but did you guys mention how the tram ride opening of Half-Life essentially became the de facto standard for video game intros? I listened to this episode while playing Alien: Isolation and it was eerie to see it use the same "combat-free setup of the game world before everything gets hosed" concept.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

The last leg of 4 was the same way. Krauser's men are armed to the teeth. 5 was the same but more.

I wasn't annoyed by that section because it was one of RE4's many gameplay "twists" to break you out of your comfort zone and have you try out different strategies against a new threat—I remember having a lot of fun with trying to take out those beefy mini-gun dudes.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

Me too. I think RE4 is sort of about variety and RE5 is about sticking with the worst parts of 4.

That's a good assessment. For me, RE6 is "Let's do what other AAA games are doing, but without understanding why they're doing it."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

I'll definitely check it out.

Also, where the gently caress did the 9000/month in Patreon go to for this? Colossal dumb shits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anopt-Egb60

Haha holy poo poo Justine Tunney is on that trainwreck--and that link is just the tip of the iceberg.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

al-azad posted:

Also LOL at their Patreon page saying they have no agenda. Literally everything anybody creates has an agenda. If your goal is to shoot down Anita that's your agenda, how transparent can you be?

I think it's mostly because they're informed by batshit Conservative/Libertarian sources and figures who view themselves as blameless and holy, while everyone else trying to destroy The Way Things Ought to Be are biased, agenda-having culture destroyers. These are the same people who complain when editorials contain an argument they don't agree with, because Something's Wrong if their side isn't catered to at every possible opportunity. They literally have zero empathy because they can't possibly imagine someone having/arguing for a different perspective than their own.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

In his videos, he sips hard liquor on the rocks and smokes cigarettes like some kind of Frank Miller parody.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

SoulChicken posted:

I loved when Nick Breckon tore into Borderlands on Thumbs. He put on his aviators and got down to business.

Jeff G. went a bit crazy with Borderlands, he went down a dark dark hole even before it was released. When you get too deep into a game but come out the other side, I can understand not getting that into any sequel no matter how "good" it is. Brad goes down holes and then digs another hole to go down.

WOFF fans if you, like me, wanted to try Deadly Premonition when it was covered... well it's $2.49 on steam this weekend! I'm gonna dive in.

Yeah, when I listened to the Bombcast back in '09, I remember Jeff saying he spent 24 hours with the first Borderlands over one weekend. I've had to review two of those games, and I personally don't get the hype: The randomization never pays off (and eventually gets pretty tedious), and the games are overwritten as hell.

Do you have an episode/timecode for that Breckon Borderlands takedown? I haven't kept up with the podcast, but would love to hear that.

Oh, and does the fan mod for DP on the PC fix everything?

bobservo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 24, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Eggie posted:

Like Claptrap isn't the greatest character ever but the game treats him like a loser when he's actually one of the few likeable characters. It's ludicrous.

I'd have more of an affinity for Claptrap if I didn't think "Wow, someone must have REALLY liked GIR from Invader Zim" every time he talks.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Resident Evil episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. Listen to us spend hours gushing about Lisa Trevor.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/85

Up next is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", then a broadcast of our live episode about "Street Fighter II", and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Can't wait to hear this one. I was a massive babypants when this game originally came out (at the tender age of 20), so I'm really looking forward to playing the ReRemake. The non-tank controls they've added work great!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey dudes, Retronauts is coming back for another season, and this time around, we'll be backed by Patreon—also, we're partnering with USgamer. Apologies in advance for this shameful plug.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks to everyone who gave to the Retronauts Patreon! We're back to weekly episodes again.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Maybe the guy just isn't interested in listening to people talk about anime rather than being some sort of representative face of the Goon Zeitgeist

Got a link Bob?

Sure: http://www.patreon.com/retronauts

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey dudes, the season premiere of Retronauts is now live at USgamer!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

That was an unbelievably bad episode, their complaints about Shenmue were ridiculous, I cant believe they're hating on this game as much as they are, they even say that Gone Home is more of a game than Shenmue! what a bummer, because I remember Shenmue blowing me away and completely engrossing me in its world when I played it. and the myriad of weird things you can do and the combat system was pretty great.

If you have complaints please contact our customer service line at 1-800-EAT-poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's been fun to read multiple people complain about us not playing 80-100 hours' worth of games for a 90-minute episode that's barely about how these games play to begin with.

• Locked thread