Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of recording studios and stuff, but would it be possible to have a lovely backup recorder that's has crap audio quality, but at least records it at all as a precaution? Like, my Yak Bak comment was a joke, but is there something that's 100-200 dollars that would be sufficient in its stead for a low-quality recorder in case the good one is lost?

It would probably make sense to also run our Zoom recorder or something. I'll look into how annoying that would be to implement beyond it just sitting in the room (eg if we can plug it into our board properly, even if it's through the monitoring jack or something).

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I just say this because you have the absolute worst record for lost podcasts I've ever heard of. :v:

It might be our setup? It's just complicated enough to be too unwieldy for an unmaintained amateur studio. But when it's working it's so easy and sounds nice!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The last song was a secret in one of the Phaedrus-sponsored episodes. The one with Steve talking about Receiver, that Wolfire game jam game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RWkH1NrwI

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I bet if I'd been on the cast instead of Danielle and called South Park problematic and discussed it with Sean, nobody would say anything. Maybe one person would post the equivalent of a groan or eyeroll to twitter but that'd be it. We talk about social issues in game content a lot but people only come out of the woodwork and complain in public when they hear it from a woman, and the message is almost universally "shut up, I don't want to hear this from you." It's both tired and tiring.

Phone posted:

Hey Jake, I know you read this thread, so I'll address it to you: can you guys lighten up on the idea that people should all be treated equally and fairly?

lol yes. People who behave like shits just because a woman is expressing a not-positive opinion will be treated poorly in turn.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Are the Idle Thumbs guys going to PAX East? I'm guessing not, but a friend on Steam decided not to go and sold me his pass, and it'd be cool to say hello in person. Maybe pass off a dota donkey courier balloon or 12 to Jake so he can just fill up Sean's office/cubicle/work area when he's not around with giant inflated donkey balloons since nobody is ever going to buy all the stupid things before the heat death of the universe, so might as well do something amusing with them.

No thumbs at PAX east this year to my knowledge unless Nick's there for Telltale. I would love Dota balloons though, by whatever means.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I'd agree with you on that one because this

is something I can get behind. Maybe the difference is that I think a reviewer should approach playing a game for review from the same baseline with which the general gaming public approaches the game, while the impression I get from you is that it's OK for a reviewer to let their experience from playing or making other games (or talking to developers) influence their opinion on the finished product. I think it hinges on what you mean here by "contextualizing", because I think that a review should be more about the final game and less about the process that went into making it (if that gets discussed in the review at all). You and I might actually agree on this, but we're just speaking different languages about it.

I could very well be putting words in your mouth though, I listened to this at 7 AM this morning and am only now posting about it, so as soon as I remember the airtight argument I came up with in the car you'll all be sorry! :v:

This is all based on your assumption of who a review is for. A review of a game for the New York Times (super general audience) is going to cover the game with a different focus than one for an enthusiast site like Polygon or Giant Bomb (which are both comfortable deep diving into creative content or mechanics with an assumed baseline literacy of the medium and industry that produces the games), or a hardcore enthusiast site (eg a strategy and wargaming site doing an in depth review of Dawn of War DLC), or development-focused enthusiasts (a lot of the indie space) or your own personal interests relative to the game you're discussing.

I don't feel like reviews need to be a strictly commercial product whose job is to maximize the audience size for a given review (again, unless you are being paid to write with that end, eg for a general-media outlet). There is plenty of review-formatted criticism of that slant already anyway, because it is the default mode reviewers are paid to write. I'm glad for the variety.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

It's not the same but have you seen Zodiac?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Also the "gently caress/congrats nick" thing is something I never knew the origin of. It's bonkers, isn't it?

It was one of the last things Nick said when leaving on episode 50. It was his impression of what readers would say when hearing he's leaving to enter game development (congrats nick!) which was also bringing about the end of the podcast for the foreseeable future (gently caress nick!).

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The download link was broken for a couple hours. Sorry about that.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The sad realization that your Idle Thumbs in-joke will, to most people who get it as anything at all, play as a reference to the Halo 4 launch campaign.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I love GameCube peripherals.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that a crew actually used five gamecubes with four GBA players and a copy of Crystal Chronicles to do the ultimate setup of that game, but now I can't find it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Possibly yes! That was probably way more fun than playing 5 system FF:CC.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Szmitten posted:

Nobody's mentioned the Wavebird which I adore even without the rumble. And I have craved that keyboard controller for over a decade even though I have no use for it. God the Gamecube's so great.

I have four wavebirds plugged into my Wii still, just for smash bros and Pikmin 2.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe I SHOULD tell him to destroy his, to drive up the value of mine!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Orthogonalus posted:

Ehhhhh, they were baffled by how weird it is that the appearance of the main character would be different (less ICONIC or whatever) depending on which version of the game you you buy, but that's is not the case here. That's all I meant. It being a physical item is irrelevant.

I see the forest. I see all of that ridiculous forest. I wish it was just a tree. A tree I could buy on steam and not have to think about what other trees I could have bought.

I think Chris' point still stands despite us getting those details wrong, because it's still like 10+ content variants of various kinds across 10+ SKUs. I think he was using the hat as a specific example for a broader point . We probably should have disclaimed that we weren't sure of the details of the preorder items, though.

Also... I think that if we had known the hat was real at the time and seen the photo of it, we whould have just shat on that instead because his "iconic cap" is just a black baseball hat with a black logo stitched into it. Maybe the black stitching literally says the word "iconic," which is the only way the word iconic would apply to that design, but I couldn't read the black on black to be sure. (I'm sure it was just some logo insignia from the game world though.)

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe he actually wears Mario's hat in the game and calls it his iconic cap.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

bobservo posted:

A lot of companies try to enforce their brands like that. When I worked at Gamestop, Nintendo wanted all signage to abbreviate the GameCube as GCN even though no one ever does that.

That particular one caught for me, I think, but it's because IGN GameCube did it, and I was a religious IGN reader around GameCube launch (probably coming off IGN 64? I can't even remember now).

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The youtube videos are posted by a reader named Johnny Driggs. He wrote us recently to say he'd be behind for a bit and we forgot to announce that on the air! Anyway they are not abandoned.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

zapjackson posted:

Maybe we'll just make a supercut of those for the next episode -- we recorded a show last week and lost mine and Kevin's audio in a crash, and then we re-recorded later and lost Riff's audio to a corrupted SD card.

I'm gonna try to thread something stupid together.

Wow :(

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I bought a 3DS and picked up Link Between Worlds last year. First zelda game I've been able to get into since Ocarina of Time back in the day. It's very well done and finally made it seem like Nintendo was aware the old formula needed changing. I'm hoping Zelda Wii U expands on that even more.

I've also long felt that the Souls games are basically what I've wanted out of a modern Zelda game as far as combat and exploration are concerned. I really hope the Wii U one has more adult themes. It seems that if you say "mature Zelda" many longtime players think it means you are hoping for crazy amounts of gore and sex. It's such bullshit and a cop out.

It's because "adult themes" could mean nearly ANYTHING. For instance this has nothing to do with sex or gore, but I don't want a Zelda game where Link becomes Joel from The Last Of Us or Lee from Walking Dead and is plagued by middle age stubble beard ennui. (That's the 2010s Adult Themes move I think.) I don't see why you'd push Zelda to be that. If it's able to hit the Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean line where there are a few more human moments (and also the enemies are harder I guess?) that's fine, but beyond that I don't really think it makes thematic sense for a Zelda game to dive too deep into the real mental/emotional problems that plague adults, because its a game about an adventurer who gets a boomerang and a hookshot, most often to stop a wizard of some kind.

So yeah, I think the reason "more adult themes" or "mature Zelda" gets so many eyerolls is because without a specific sense of what that actually means to you, and what that means in the constraints of a Zelda game, it is a nearly infinite unknown void for people to fill in for themselves. "Are these themes right for this game" is also a question you have to ask. Like, when people try to push Star Wars into a mega dark angst filled brooding man zone, I don't understand why they're putting that into Star Wars, instead of into a story and world that are built for it. I am absolutely not saying that's what you're asking for, because again I don't really know what you're asking for, but in those Star Wars cases (and in many Dark Zelda cases) it feels like people are trying to force their toys to grow up with them (or to bend them to justify/support their burgeoning adult thoughts, worldviews, and problems) instead of finding new avenues to pursue that are actually about those things at their core.

It's a big fat topic that I think is almost impossible to discuss without specifics.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 10, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

While I'm on the same page with, like, the overall gist of this argument, it's very very easy to use this line of reasoning to create ridiculous false dilemmas, a thing Nintendo fans are good at doing to people who criticize the company's flagship franchises. The problem with Star Wars, for example, isn't just that Star Wars fans grew up; it's also that the prequels really were bad movies, both markedly inferior to the original trilogy as films and also less original by virtue of the fact that they're prequels

This isn't intended to sound snarky but I don't know what point you're trying to argue. I would like to, and it's probably on me for missing it, but I genuinely can't tell.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Looking forward to the episode that is just New England Danielle, pig grunts and "baboo"s the whole way through.

We'll save that for the last 30 minutes of episode 200

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

_jink posted:

Where's your cool UI post on campoblog :[

When there's a cool UI I'll post about it. I might be the only person who hasn't posted a blog yet. I was supposed to post the second one, right after Sean.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Chris Remo posted:

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?

Its tired poo poo Chris.

Anyway, baboo.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

This thread has been running a little hot lately.

This is maybe a dumb question but what do you guys use to listen to podcasts? I almost exclusively listen on my iPhone and recently switched to Overcast because it's supposed to be the new hotness... and it is really clean, but makes me miss some of the robustness of Downcast. Does anyone still use stitcher or whatever that third party "rips your podcast from your feed to make it more convenient for us" service?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Hook didn't age well. At least as of the last time I saw it, which was in a theater sometime in the last decade.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

hahaha oh sorry I missed some key context.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

SoulChicken posted:

I was just thinking how much Remo and Breckon love that game and sure enough, Chris is a guest! Not a strategy game though, looking forward to finding out why its on 3MA. The iPad version is excellent btw.

They've dedicated this month, I believe, to games set during or dealing with World War I.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I would think about it, but...

...So, what's the cost on advertising on Thumbs, guys? :v:

It varies a lot but we can put you in contact with our ad rep (our ads are sold through an agency). It would be pretty amazing to have ads for your dota stuff on Thumbs.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I thought this was a decent stab at the motivation for a lot of the bullshit the last couple weeks have highlighted:

quote:

Let me tell you where these kids are coming from, because I used to come from there. The first thing that’s happening is that they’re mostly males who are socially unaccepted. They’re outsiders, losers, weirdos and freaks. And most of them aren’t just male, they’re white males. What’s happening is that these men are feeling powerless in their own lives, and then along comes someone like Anita Sarkeesian telling them that as white men they are the MOST powerful group in the world. And that they should be aware of this privilege and they should be careful how they exert it.

Imagine the confusion this causes. These kids feel like the bottom of the heap, ignored and hated and mocked and here comes this woman - who is successful and admired and gets Joss Whedon to retweet her videos - telling them that they’re actually part of an invisible system keeping her down. This simply can’t compute for these guys.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

That business card is a joke from 10 years ago. We all had dumb ones which are now "really good" due to the last few weeks. Mine just said "Jake Rodkin: Video Game Journalist." They were the cards we printed up to qualify for press passes to cover E3... because that was something we really wanted to do for years, for some reason.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

I tried listening to this because I'm really interested in hearing decent and experienced commentary on the issues that have come up lately, but what the gently caress? Is this the "Gigglecast"? I couldn't make it ten minutes into that without getting frustrated with the unfocused chuckling and bullshit before shutting it off.

I'm sure they're decent people with thoughtful opinions, but a little editing here and there wouldn't hurt.

Haha, this is every negative comment about Idle Thumbs 2008-2011, I think. :(

Anyway, I like Isometric but honestly (and kind of shittily) I sometimes have trouble listening to it just because the angle they come at stuff, and the opinions expressed from those trajectories, are often not in line with the way I think about them. It makes me realize how easy it is to effectively listen to myself over and over on podcasts, or at least listen to slight variations of my friends and co-workers, on most podcasts. Its also not that I DISAGREE with something said on Isometric -- and I love that they are a cast that is the opposite of a bunch of dudes with one woman host or whatever (hi!) -- but the way I unconsciously react to subtle differences are a reminder of how often I self select toward the familiar in my entertainment. Anyway Isometric is a podcast I enjoy. Sorry this was a rambling paragraph that didn't quite succeed in conveying what I meant it to.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 13, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

This is going to sound mean but it's more like -2014 if you ask me.

I get the feeling most people stopped being surprised enough by it to mention it after that time, but as you have shown, many continue to think that (which is fine).

Not related to what you said but related to the general sentiment -- I fundamentally disagree with the idea that editing natural conversation ticks out of a podcast will make for an objective improvement. If people don't like it, that's fine, it's probably just not a show for them. If it's a show where hosts are having thoughts for the first time live on the air as they record, because ideas are coming to their minds AS they articulate them, I want to hear every second of that. If their idea surprises them or their friend enough that it cracks them up or shocks them, I want to hear it. If I'm listening to RadioLab or 99% Invisible or something, where the hosts are delivering pre-considered, prepared content, I obviously don't want their natural flow of conversation in there but that is because the content in those shows is totally different. I'm not listening to 99% PI for the discovery of te idea, I'm there to hear a rehearsed story told, or an audio essay delivered. In the case of chat shows, though, I just want to hear the hosts being themselves (and sometimes I like that and sometimes I don't).

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

VDay posted:

Jeff has spent probably like over an hour of total airtime complaining about lovely pizza in his area over the years. I guess Dan was just your breaking point.

To be fair, the Dominos in Petaluma closing did suck. Did they talk about that? I think one recently reopened.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

We got Anita on the ep AND a new crazy Steam Economy email from Invictus* so its pretty good.

* he (you) sent the email a while ago and we didn't notice it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of crazy hat bullshit, valve just, about an hour ago, pushed an update to tf2 that made EVERYTHING marketable. Bills hats, max heads, earbuds, soldier medals, everything. Sheeeeeit.

poo poo I should have sold my crazy stuff. Guess the old excel spreadsheet on my old telltale hard drive (probably at the back of a closet in their IT department) containing another, like, 20,000 Devil's Playhouse TF2 preorder package codes is also less valuable.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

I really don't know how you can be confused in TF2 considering one model is like 7' tall and 7' wide while another is short and wiry and another tall and regal.

I'm now imagining a Tex Avery style segment where the Spy is using stealth by wearing a comedy mustache.

I think all TF2 models are actually exactly the same height, with heads that take up about the same amount of space at that height. Part of why the Heavy has a tiny head.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Pasco posted:

I think you're wrong, but not super far off:

Also, only halfway through this weeks thumbs, and it's already a classic.

Oops you're right! I thought their differences in heights was determined by their animation pose but even in binding pose they are different.

And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Minecraft is this generation's Doom.

Doom + Mario Bros with the merchandising of Star Wars. It's crazy.

• Locked thread