Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I... don't know if this latest episode of thumbs was good? The day z story was nice, but lots of injokey laughing at selves, asides.. just a bunch a bullshit. Imo

I listened to it last night and thought it was great, I guess it just wasn't for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AngryBooch posted:

The monthly format for The Besties is not doing it any favors. It's essentially the same show except now they talk about the same games and make the same points that I've heard on the other 4 gaming podcasts I listen to only a couple weeks later.

Yeah, listen to the Besties if you want to hear people talk about Threes, Strider, Jazz Punk and Thief again with neither the benefit of the games being brand new or the benefit of the perspective that several months to a year gives you on the evaluation of a video game.

edit: Oh hey, remember Twitch Plays Pokemon and fuckin Flappy Bird? Inane poo poo that I've already forgotten? Let's talk about that stuff a month later instead of as its happening. Yeah, I'm done. What a shame, I actually liked the Besties.

What a jaded, nasty post. You should word it better to not sound like a cynical internet douchebag, even if your points are mostly valid.

And while it's not pulling in the numbers that it was when it was being talked about on the BBC and CNN, Twitch Plays Pokemon is still the sixth highest viewercount channel on Twitch right now at 4:45 AM with 8,500 viewers, and pulls in 15,000-20,000 during primetime. That's still very impressive for a single non-event Twitch channel, and the metanarrative surrounding this playthrough of Crystal has taken an interesting turn from Red's.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Equal Rights for iPhone Games

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I completely missed the last AGDQ. Is there a list of the must-watch stuff? The one before it set me for a couple months with how many great runs there were.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Solution: keep a backup recording device in the form of a Yak Bak to avoid these problems. Even if the audio quality is crap, I'm sure people won't mind!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of recording studios and stuff, but would it be possible to have a lovely backup recorder that's has crap audio quality, but at least records it at all as a precaution? Like, my Yak Bak comment was a joke, but is there something that's 100-200 dollars that would be sufficient in its stead for a low-quality recorder in case the good one is lost?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

It would probably make sense to also run our Zoom recorder or something. I'll look into how annoying that would be to implement beyond it just sitting in the room (eg if we can plug it into our board properly, even if it's through the monitoring jack or something).

I just say this because you have the absolute worst record for lost podcasts I've ever heard of. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been listening to Video Games Hot Dog after dropping it a while ago and when I got to the discussion of unions in the 11th episode, the ignorance and toxicity and "don't like it, leave" argument was so appalling I nearly dropped it altogether, but then got to episode 12's discussion on appropriate speech on the podcast, it was interesting how sensible Guy Who Sounds Like Alex Navarro(sorry, it's gonna take a while for me to remember your real name and not immediately call you Alex :v:) was and accepting that maybe he is wrong about things or doesn't know everything, so I'll keep on listening. I had something about Unions typed up but this isn't really the thread for it. Suffice to say, they're a necessary evil, they might not always do the right things, but they're important in many situations all the same.

Also, is it only me who can't place names to voices until I've seen the people in question speaking on camera, and then I can suddenly distinguish them all easily? Like Idle Thumbs, it wasn't until I saw Jake, Chris and Nick talking on camera a while ago(might've been the Oktoberkast maybe) that I was then always able to place names to who was speaking on the cast, but before I would always mix Nick and Jake up and that hasn't happened ever since I saw them on camera. It's like I'm able to visualize them sitting in a recording studio, similar to the Bombcast's, and that way I can imagine who is speaking when? It's weird how the brain works in associating and organizing things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TetsuoTW posted:

but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.
Of course not, but when they spend a decent chunk of time discussing it so aggressively and misinformed, it's pretty gross. Hopefully that's a relic of the earlier episodes and they stick to things they're more knowledgeable about in the ones past here, and if not, I'll just skip over those sections.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pasco posted:

A necessary evil? :crossarms:

Man, some peoples views on Unions are hosed up.
Sorry it was 5 AM and I worded it wrong/used the wrong phrase, but not everything about unions are good, and not every union is good. However, I do believe they are absolutely necessary for both protecting the rights of employees and keeping corporations in check. I am part of Teamsters and don't agree with some of the things they do, but they also provide support in many ways for employees both inside and outside of the workplace.

I just wanted to clarify a bit, I don't want to have this discussion here, if you'd like to have a union talk make a thread for it somewhere else(I dunno, D&D? GBS was where the last one was but...well...that'll end badly now)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are the Idle Thumbs guys going to PAX East? I'm guessing not, but a friend on Steam decided not to go and sold me his pass, and it'd be cool to say hello in person. Maybe pass off a dota donkey courier balloon or 12 to Jake so he can just fill up Sean's office/cubicle/work area when he's not around with giant inflated donkey balloons since nobody is ever going to buy all the stupid things before the heat death of the universe, so might as well do something amusing with them.

Also, the episode was really good, and Danielle fit right in yet again. Any Thumbs episode without Jake is lesser for it, but it was still a great one, and the discussion on South Park was interesting. I nearly choked on a pear I was eating when they started talking about terrible and cliche lines and mentioned "how you holding up?"(if target is young, add a "kiddo"). It's so loving true and has been a slight pet peeve of mine, almost every single time someone is sitting down on like, a curb, or sidewalk, or whatever after a terrible event(house fire, witnessed a public murder, it's the post-apocalypse, etc) in any media, someone will walk over(often from behind them) and say that loving line.

I really don't think it's a bad thing to go longer, since Idle Thumbs is on par with the Bombcast with the interesting stuff they talk about and level of comedic prowess, though both are better at different aspects. I highly doubt anyone would complain about a two-hour Idle Thumbs, unless you guys are specifically against it for some reason. Sometimes I get this feeling from the way you talk about stuff that one wrong move or one slightly uninteresting topic and THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD, EVERYONE LEFT or something. I'd love to hear more discussions on stuff, and a lot of topics are talked about in a different light thanks to the viewpoint of being game producers, which very few game podcasts involve. So more Thumbs is always good, I guess I'm saying? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bonkers is a pretty good word.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

It's an overused meme.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Super Best Friendcast is probably my #2 podcast right now. I just finished the "Aryan Resurrection" episode, which has an incredible reason for that episode title, and pretty much every episode has been a gut-buster.

I got a bit pissed when they started ranting about adblockers, I use one since I've had security issues with...what's the term, infected banner ads I guess? On legitimate sites no less, I think even SA had multiple security issues like that in the past. But they took a similar fire-and-brimstone approach to adblockers as Patrick Klepek did(short of saying adblock users can "die in a fire", even in jest) and it was kinda gross. I'm with Jeff in that these days ads are almost completely useless because they're mostly bogus anyways, I specifically allow the user-purchased ads on SA through but block everything else since the user-made ones can lead to interesting threads. I can understand people getting mad for losing revenue from adblock, but at this point you should start seeking other methods of generating money with your site, such as subscriptions and such that Giant Bomb have, because I really don't think the banner ad system is going to hold up forever, it definitely seems like a bubble that's getting to the bursting point. And I don't want to risk security compromises from infected ads.

I also think that the sheer intensity that they talk about everything with probably made it sound like they were wayyyyy more angry about it than they actually were, but I guess that's the power of their enthusiasm when talking. Especially Pat. Pat enunciates like a motherfucker about EVEEERRYYYYYTHHIIIIING! But still, great poo poo and I would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone, even though I cannot give even half a gently caress about real wrestling, they still talk about it with such heart that it's enjoyable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jake, these might interest you, I registered around the time Derek Smart first erupted like a festering pustule onto these forums and it was a glorious trainwreck. His ego is nothing short of legendary.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=60

Which eventually spawned this glorious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tend to go with Humble Bundles because they usually come with soundtracks packed in, and there's been some incredible ones in the past(to name a few: Shatter, Antigravity, Fastfall, Risk of Rain OST, PPPPPP, The Swapper OST, Tiny & Big OST), so even if I have all the games in the list I'll usually chip in the minimum amount needed to get all the soundtracks. Are there any other good ones that come with indie game soundtracks?

Sorry if there's already a thread for these things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please tell Sean not to do that, Jake/Chris. The Sparkly Lugers, especially if you said that it was from internet celebrity Sean Vanaman, are still worth hundreds of dollars. Like 300-400 minimum still, I believe. If anything, sell it and donate the money to charity or something. That conversation is a hell of a lot like a lot of messages I've gotten for my valuable hattes, even down to the song singing and "I'll suck yo dick" stuff(even had a few threats!). If I was looking to make free money by begging random dudes for their items, I'd offer anything like that too. But professionals have standards.

Hakkeshu, you likely had a regular one, which are worth ~20 bucks. Telltale employees got special ones that have a sparkly unusual effect, which is otherwise unobtainable except by Valve employees.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al! posted:

Sell it and use the money to replace some of your real teeth with gold teeth

If this is in the US that would be more like a quarter of a tooth

edit: oh wait, haha, silly me, the Community Sparkle Lugermorphs are going for nearly a thousand dollars. I really hope Sean didn't just give his away for a (literal) song.

And if he wants me to broker it for him so he doesn't have to deal with the hassle of the terrible tf2 economy as well as getting a billion scammers trying to get it. That's the sort of item that'll attract the most devious, Snidely Whiplash moustache-twirling ones.

If dealing with a random dude on the internet is a problem, you could ask Brad Shoemaker, I've done a fair amount of business with him in the past, so I figure maybe a dude you guys actually know in person could assuage concerns.

If you or he would like to talk, I've got an SA-Mart thread with various details, or you can just add me on Steam to talk.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507625
http://steamcommunity.com/id/spessmarine/

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"Chris Remo is the Cranky Kong of our Donkey Kong podcast family" and "i am that croc-o-chomp guy. I am King Crocman" basically killed me. I'm dead

This has been a super good episode so far!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was listening to the Best Friendscast back catalog and they were talking about Lightning Returns's ending being so abominably awful that it ruined Final Fantasy forever on from here. I just watched this, and aside from my brains dribbling out of my ears and it seeming so stupid it risks creating a rent in the fabric of reality from being so far up its own rear end, it didn't seem like it made future Final Fantasy games impossible or whatever. Can someone explain why they consider it series suicide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbYsIDIeYk

Granted I haven't played a Final Fantasy since 10, and haven't even paid attention to the series since then, so maybe there's some underlying story bit I'm missing for context.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I sense a running theme with gaming podcasts whose owners also post in this thread...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Continuing through the BFC, they mention James Franco throwing out jokes to die at the Oscars. I know I've seen it before but I can't seem to find it with some googling, does anyone have a video of it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love lmgtfy because it let's you know who is a shithead at a glance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

As opposed to lazy fools who never learned how to use a library card catalog?
I searched and found a different video that didn't seem to be the one they meant. I don't see why you needed to be an unfunny idiot especially since I said I already googled it and was asking if someone knew for sure which one it was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Except ZUN actually came to the US and was completely blown away by how big a fanbase Touhou has in the west, to the extent that he has spoken about exploring options for distributing his games here, possibly digitally through services like Steam. He had always thought that western fans were just a vocal minority online until he filled an entire theater with fans, mostly in full cosplay, when he held a panel in a US anime convention. There's a really great picture of him amidst a sea of fans out there.

And yeah, I had reached out to Spacedrake to get the full feel-good story on the foundation of Carpe Fulgur and the massive success of Recettear so I could send it in to the Thumbs, but he never replied and the article I had read ages ago that gave a rundown of it all seems to have vanished between then and now. Recettear was really the catalyst for releasing Japanese indie games on Steam, what with it selling something like 500 times what it had originally sold in its existence in Japan.

I would also love to see them play the game and talk about it, because it is a great, unique idea for a game; hiring adventurers to explore dungeons for loot to sell in your capitalism and haggling simulator of a JRPG item shop is really something. I put sixty hours into the game which was mostly satisfying, it has some jank and grindiness in the Zeldalike dungeons but has a ton of heart and can be both surprisingly funny and emotional in turn. The translation was outstanding too. I am really glad CF convinced Easygamestation to make an instrumental of the title theme music though, the singing of the original was ear piercing. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, judging something based on creepy fanart is really dumb. While there is a shitload of Touhou fanart(there's well over a million individual images on Pixiv alone), there is a large portion of it that isn't creepy. Try GISing "Utsuho" and you'll find that there's very few examples of creepy images of her. Considering she is a Yatagarasu, a three-legged hell raven from Japanese mythology, that's impressive that ZUN managed to make an entirely non-creepy character out of that premise.

Almost every single Touhou character is a girl wearing extremely covering, frilly, outrageous getups and silly hats. Nearly without exception. ZUN is just a bad artist(since he is determined to make each game entirely himself, all the art, gameplay, code, story, and music is done by him for every mainline game). He's an excellent composer and game maker, but is a terrrrrrrible artist.

POLLY WAS NOT MEANT TO BEEEEEE

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 24, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doctorfrog posted:

There may not be anything stand-out creepy about the Touhou games, but having the instinct that you should avoid them anyway is one that probably has developed for very good reasons, and has likely served you well so far.

Please elaborate. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah that's not really a valid argument for your case but okay dude, don't put any effort into a response then.

Touhou story-wise is about girls in frilly dresses and silly hats being assholes to each other and then having a huge party at the end of every game with all the protagonists and antagonists. That's really all there is to it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 24, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Re: idle thumbs latest episode:

There was actually a TF2 event years ago when they gave out random Golden Wrenches to 100 different players and a bunch of them got together and started a charity drive where they raised 31,000 dollars for Child's Play and then destroyed 13 of the Wrenches after the drive ended. So Sean could maybe do something like that???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it was when he brought up Rapelay as a genuine example during a discussion that really made me go "gently caress this guy"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just thought I'd post this thing from the latest TF2 update:

quote:

Added the Mann Co. Audition Reel. Contains taunts and a rare chance at an unusual taunt

UNUSUAL TAUNTS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ryan is dead and complaining about how it is now is not going to magically bring him back to save the bombcast.

We will never return to those halcyon days. There is nobody like Ryan, to be honest, he was a legendary host and his skill as such held the group together and kept them directed both when discussing games and bullshitting. His death had a clear effect on the rest of the crew, especially Jeff, and unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to change things to the way they were.

Complaining that it's not like the old days is pretty callous, honestly. Of course it's not, one of the lynchpins of the show is dead and trying to hold the new additions to that standard seems really lovely to me. If it's new and different and doesn't appeal to your tastes, fine, stop visiting the site. But complaining about the change when the people involved really had no control over it is pointless because it's not like they can do anything to stop it.

edit: also Vinny teaming up with Alex has made me like Alex a lot more. They work together fantastically well and I've watched almost all of their quick looks together. The Gods Will Be Watching QL is great for their banter/squeamishness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A number of people actually do complain that GB has changed too much as if something can be done to revert it back to the way it was, so it seemed like it was more of that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GB's video content has been the strongest it's been in a long time recently. Multiple quick looks a day in most cases, premium content multiple times a week, it's really great. The podcast has been shorter recently until this past one which may be the longest non-GOTY one they've ever done, and this is with GBEAST running on a shoestring setup in a cramped little TV Guide studio with no proper cameras. When they get an actual studio in a few weeks/months there'll probably be much higher quality video content coming out of there as well. Maybe they'll even have access to a recording studio as well. Maybe even skype Patrick in, or skype into the bombcast proper.

I can dream!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, are accents now on the same level as old memes?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

Hot news tip, plenty of people never visit all kinds of websites. Not everybody lives on reddit. I spend far more time reading actual books and listening to podcasts in an average day, than I spend in front of a keyboard. When I was at a different stage in my life I hung out on digg and giantbomb and stuff but the only reason I go to websites like that any more is when I'm bored and watching TV and doing other poo poo, I certainly don't care about upvoting news stories or editing wikis about video game soundtracks. I think outside of linking that Too Human video the other day, I haven't been to Giantbomb in probably 6-12 months.

Then again I'm at a point in my life where I don't sit around stressing about videogames (partially in part to their not being any good games I've heard of lately, and plenty of good opportunities to go to the beach, go fishing, go hiking and camping with friends and my dog, etc.) I am planning on going through the bonfireside chat cast again now that dark souls 2 has been out long enough for them to cover all the areas however, half the time I'd rather listen to a gardening or world news or history show.

So yeah I guess I'm a myth. I'm the gamer/nerd who got tired of being one, and who now goes outside and gets a suntan instead (my average posts/day on SA has gone down by easily 30-40% from what it used to be, for instance, and I mainly post in the gardening/DIY/fishing/etc threads instead of writing OPs for whatever game I'm looking forward to being disappointed about *cough Thief cough cough*. I'd hope that someone who's had an account on SA for over 13 years for instance, doesn't participate at the same rate as they did when they began. Things change, people change.
SOMEONE HELP I'M BEING SUCKED INTO THE VORTEX OF PRETENTIOUS DOUCHINESS THAT IS THIS POST

ja2ke posted:

When there's a cool UI I'll post about it. I might be the only person who hasn't posted a blog yet. I was supposed to post the second one, right after Sean.

Hey Jake since my email no doubt got swallowed up by the volume of emails you get, or just wasn't good enough to get on the podcast, I sent you guys a link to the best example of what can be done with an NES sound chip, from an actual NES game from when I was a kid that blew me away

This is literally exactly how it sounds coming out of an NES. It's mindboggling how they pulled this off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnHoPn1Vic

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait til you hear his egg "whites" story

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Jake/Chris, I don't know if Sean has an account here, but if he does or gets one, direct him to this thread. I finally got around to listing a shitload of DOTA physical goods for sale(amongst tons of other stuff) and I know he was interested in at least getting a headset and a donkey.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660292

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al! posted:

Sweet advertising hat baron.

:c00l: You know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005