Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, I completely missed the last AGDQ. Is there a list of the must-watch stuff? The one before it set me for a couple months with how many great runs there were.

It was mentioned a few times, but the F-Zero GX run really deserves a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

If you haven't played the game, it just looks impressive. If you've ever tried to beat a level of the game on Very Hard you might find your face melting off around the time he gets boost on the third level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

On the subject of new challengers entering the ring -- Daft Souls from two of the guys from Shut Up and Sit Down (an excellent board game review site) is two episodes into a new video game podast and I'm liking it so far. They have an assortment of other British-type people, none of whom I really recognize. The discussion is a little more free wheeling when it comes to older games than some of the establishment casts, but that might just be because it's new so they don't have to worry about talking about stuff they've mentioned before?

They say it's going to be bi-weekly but so far there have been two episodes in a week so maybe I'm parsing that wrong?

E: I just noticed I got the name of the podcast wrong. Hurrrr.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

This week's idle thumbs reminded me that I still haven't finished a game in Civ V yet, so I started one up the other day. :unsmith:

It's fine. The best way to play any Civ game is to get up to about the industrial error, get annoyed with the amount of micro (or decide you've won the game already,) then start over. I think I've finished one out of every 10 games or so.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Woffle posted:

On Craigslist I'm finding closer to 40 bucks. Then again, I'm risking a scenario where I'm forced to earn "dungeonbucks" by doing oddjobs in some sort of dungeon.

You can get a pretty wide variety of plastic toys with dungeonbucks. I'm not sure if they make attachments to hook any up to a system besides maybe the Oculus Rift though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

If you don't listen to the bombcast, here's some backround:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPPeyflV5I

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Thank you for the 50 minute video of background info for a joke.

You're welcome.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

One of the thumbs was looking for a word meaning fat that starts with p. I would like to submit paunchy. That is all.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think the Bombcast is in a pretty great place right now. This week's episode in particular was a good time through and through. Ryan will never be replaced, but Dan's terrible opinions bounce easily off of Jeff's bad opinions and the new blood has re-energized things a lot. I mean, how can you hate on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZveytjmGWT8

While I'm in here I'll also note that the Thumbs have been on fire recently. Keep up the good work! Daft Souls is pretty good too - they talked about King of Dragon Pass a bit last week, and I hope they play more because that game is an incredible achievement.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Haven't listened to the latest thumbs yet, but did it get recorded before or after we got this latest piece of awfulness?

Good week to be a person who likes video games. :smith:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Everything you cook sous vide is sealed in a waterproof bag before being immersed in water. You could use a bucket of ebola water and as long as you do a careful job unsealing you'll be fine.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Well yeah I won't disagree there.

The actual dangerous stuff he talked about in this podcast were a) improperly freezing sous vide food after cooking (if its a thick cut of meat you want to ice bath it before dropping it in the freezer or else the core will be warm enough for bacteria to flourish for a little while) and b) cooking a whole pig sous vide (core temp won't come up fast enough, stuff inside will have a field day for the like 48 hours it takes to come up past the danger zone.)

You can totally cook sous vide in a bathtub, though. Main concern would be keeping the temperature even throughout. Baby's first sous vide uses a beer cooler, which isn't exactly sterile.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Jimbot posted:

So discounting or writing the game off at this point is just premature.

I don't think any of them are? They're talking about the game that they are playing right now. If the loot system improves, there will be a 'I went back to Destiny after that patch came out and it's pretty good now!' section of the Bombcast. They even mention things like it not meeting its potential and feeling like it lacks something, which is all perfectly fair criticism that can be fixed moving forward. There's not much point in talking about how good a game might be in a couple years, because we have no way of knowing if that will ever happen. It's the same thing as them looking at an early access game -- don't you think it would be odd if they talked about features that weren't in there yet?

They may not be reviewers these days exactly, but that's the background a lot of them come from. When you're reviewing a game it's unfair to the consumer to talk about how things might be fixed in a little while -- there is a product that does not do some things as well as other products on the market. You may consider that an unrealistic expectation to have, but that doesn't make it less true.

Jimbot posted:

I wrote Diablo 3 off after I beat it once around launch now I play it almost daily because of all the changes the expansion and 2.0 brought.

Not to be mean, but this just shows that you're being hypocritical -- why should they react any differently to Destiny at launch than you (or they) reacted to Diablo at launch? At the time they could and likely did compare the loot system to those in games like Torchlight 2, which was a similar product available at the time.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 17, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Jimbot posted:

That said, I don't think they're the same. The biggest difference is Bungie very transparent with its planned out expansions and events. Blizzard, on the other hand, were all about the auction house and the biggest thing they had planned at that point was getting the real money auction house up and running.

I'm just of the opinion that what companies say will be coming in the future has no bearing on the current game experience, which is the important thing. In this age of constant patching and early access, ongoing support is an incredibly important part of most any game but there's absolutely no way to know that something will be a good example of it or a bad one without the game itself having time to mature. Basically you're arguing that we should have faith that Bungie will fix it but I don't see why that matters -- if they fix it, we can just buy the game once they do. I'm actually sort of glad it's not on PC yet because once it is it'll be basically Destiny 2.0.

As a sidenote, I find myself avoiding a lot of games at launch these days for this very reason. So many of them are improved by a patch or two that even if it's something I'm really excited about I tend to wait a while. Delayed gratification works. Like, I backed Divinity on Kickstarter and still haven't really played it -- which might turn out to be good, because they just released two extra companions that seem to be engineered specifically to deal with some of the problems that reviewers had about party constraints.

quote:

Torchlight 2 came out after Diablo 3, I can't remember their conversations about the two.

You're right, I was mis-remembering. May vs. September. I definitely do remember conversations (not necessarily on GB, just in general) when Torchlight came out about how a little indie dev had managed to out-Diablo Diablo but I guess I had the timing mixed up.

E:

quote:

We got Anita on the ep

I hope you guys are ready for the bomb threats. :smith:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 18, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, so this thing is literally becoming the Tea Party But Video Games? That sounds exactly like the JournoList "scandal" of a couple years ago.

Yeah, the ~breaking news~ article that uncovered it draws a direct comparison to that scandal. Note that in this case the best examples they have are a few isolated posts and a couple people proposing things that never actually happened because (according to other people on the list) noone else thought they were great ideas -- since it's just a frikkin' mailing list of industry people with different opinions, not a group of puppet masters laughing gleefully as they pull strings. I like that one of the headlining quotes is someone saying basically 'I'd like to use this platform to <do thing> but I won't because of <ethics>.'

For all your gamergate updates I recommend the GBS thread, which continues to move at a rate of about 1 shitpost a minute. Seriously, I think there were 800 posts last night and nothing happened.

Here is gamergate's mascot-tan leading a trail of benighted gamers from the holy land of 4chan, because apparently they're not even allowed to talk about their concerns there any more? I haven't really been keeping track.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm pretty sure Num_Followers translates directly into advertising dollars, and since Money_Earned is a measurement of how much you are worth as a human being, by the transitive properly of capitalism followers = happiness.

I mean, that might not be all of it but the number of followers is a pretty direct metric on how popular you are, which you used to need to have an election or something for.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Ulta posted:

1. US schools don't teach people how finances and credit work, let alone mortgages. If they aren't forced to learn it, what kid is going to look that poo poo up.

Yeah, I can give him a pass on this sort of thing because unless you look it up or your parents sit you down for different version of The Talk, it's actually pretty common for people to straight up not know how mortgages or loans or insurance works. If you believe you're invincible and never go to the doctor, why the hell would you know what the word 'copay' means?

Really this should be taught in high school, but Home Ec classes have been long derided as a bastion for the lazy and / or turned into glorified cooking classes for some reason.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I said this in the wrong thread.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I just want to say that I was drunk last night and bought The Talos Principle mostly because Crate and Crowbar recommended it (and I was drunk) and it's pretty drat excellent so far. Every bit as well written as Portal, just in a completely different direction so far into the methodical melancholic that it's probably a useless comparison. I'm maybe one and a half worlds in (having collected a total of 4 gold stars, those things are a huge pain -- I feel like the endgame here will be pretty stretched out) and loving it. If they have a good sale for Christmas I'll be a) a little irked and b) overjoyed because I can buy it for people.

Pip does have a valid complaint, though -- it's hard to break down a question like 'how do you know that you're conscious' into multiple choice.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Also, http://poopsenders.com/ has been doing this for years and noone cared. CAH just has caché, I suppose.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Really glad the Thumbs like Talos Principle. Keep playing it, because they either weren't very far in or were avoiding spoiling some of the later metagameish elements, but once some of those things slot into place it goes from a good puzzle game to something a lot more. Reminds me a lot of The Swapper, for good reason.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you're (physically) a robot, go into the options and turn on third person mode. In the same menu you can also crank up the player's foot speed a little bit, which is nice since the game does involve a hell of a lot of running around.

It's a really minor thing, but I absolutely loved the way they handled the tutorial because it's completely unobtrusive and runs through the most basic logic of the game in a way that totally makes sense in-universe. Watch the little status messages it pops up in the HUD as you go through it and it's pretty obvious that you're some sort of puzzle-solving machine. It even makes sense based on the sketchy knowledge I have of infant logical development, and I thought it did a wonderful job of setting the tone for the whole game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Wii U is the best second console, imo. If you already have a PS4, XB1 or a gaming PC it's a good pickup. If you have none of those three, maybe get one of them first? I tried to recommend a Wii U to a coworker with an 8 year old but she said he wanted to play Minecraft so she got him a PS4. Which is pretty fair, I guess.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

ja2ke posted:

He did also play it for a while after that. And yeah Idle Thumbs New Years Resolution is to talk less about a game we haven't played.

Have you guys played Space Alert yet? You should play Space Alert. It's really good and you can dig into stuff from a game design perspective -- mainly, the fact that there's an outside timer means the quarterbacking problem* inherent in a lot of cooperative board games is resolved because noone can keep track of everything at once (especially if and when you get into the harder threats and maybe even double action missions from the expansion.) Space Alert is usually the Board Game Thread's #1 recommended co-op game for a reason.

There's a certain messiness that you get with board games because of the physical elements that are hard if not impossible to duplicate onscreen.

* This is when you play a coop game and there's the one dude who tells everyone where to go and what to do to ~maximize efficiency~ and it turns out the game isn't coop at all because it's just him/her playing against the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Woffle posted:

Space Alert owns. It's the most stressed out I get playing a board game and it has a natural tutorial curve assuming you're playing with people who have played before. You start out getting told what to do and avoid the feeling of sinking the game, all the while you can pay attention and learn why your crewmates are doing what they do. Also, the built in ten minutes/game timer is genius.

Yeah. It actually comes with one of the better actual tutorials I've seen in a board game -- if you play it by the book, you do like 5 missions of increasing complexity to get the basics down before you try a real mission (and inevitably explode in the darkness of space.) The tutorial book is even pretty funny!

But yeah, the 100% ideal way to learn it is to be the fourth or fifth person on a veteran crew. You just get put on mouse-shaking duty the first game (if you don't do 'computer maintenance' periodically a screensaver turns on and all the lights shut off, delaying everyone on the ship) and by the second one you basically understand everything. The best is when you accidentally move left instead of right on the first turn and end up flailing ineffectually at random buttons for the entire game but still somehow manage to kill everything by sheer coincidence. Or explode in space. You shouldn't really go into a game of Space Alert expecting to win. Especially when you play like we do and take a shot before and after every action phase.

• Locked thread