Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The MoO 2 WOFF is good. There's a lot to talk about with those games, and the guest they had was cool. I wish MoO 3 didn't suck, because I actually like the idea of being a hands-off space bureaucrat.

I imagine suggesting a game for WOFF is like spitting in the ocean at this point, but Star Control 2 (most easily in the form of Ur-Quan Masters) would be a great game for the cast. It's like a narrative-focused MoO with asteroidsesque action combat.

The way it's structured it's basically Mass Effect but if the reapers were actually coming instead of waiting for you to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Woffle posted:

We have our schedule planned for the next few months but after that we're pretty open and this has been suggested by none other than Video Games Hot Zach so it's on our radar. I'm a huge fan of Starflight which is like a primitive version of Star Control 2(my understanding).

Cool! Yeah, Star Control 2 is considered a sort of spiritual successor to Starflight (with some key SC2 personnel having worked in various capacities on Starflight).

I keep meaning to play Starflight one of these days. The Genesis version looks pretty sick.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I first played Syndicate on the Jaguar, and my long love affair with Wing Commander began on the SNES and 3DO. All good ports, considering the limitations involved, but it was eye-opening when I later rediscovered these things on a decent PC.

In fact, I first played Star Control 2 on the 3DO, which until the open source shenanigans of UQM was easily the best version. Like Starflight on the Genesis, it was an opportunity to revisit and revise a slightly older game on a powerful console, rather than a case of trying to cram a complex game onto a less flexible machine.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Handsome Ralph posted:

The Parappa the Rapper Retronauts was a great episode. If only for the fact that it reminded me of the time some kid at a summer camp I worked at many years ago decided to sing "Gotta Believe" for a talent show, while dressing as Parappa as well.

It was as awkward/awesome/hilarious as you can imagine it being.

Super disappointed those games haven't shown up on PSN. :smith:

You'd have to redesign Parappa to work on modern a/v systems due to video and audio latency. You can download the PSP version on the PSP or Vita at least.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The latest Giant Bombcast (3/18) is good. Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy Studios is a guest, and he's super interesting. If you have followed Giant Bomb through the years, you'll know who he is, but you'll probably remember him more for screwing around with the gang than anything else.

In this podcast, he drops a lot of knowledge about various facets of the industry. He worked at Midway during some interesting times, and his current company does a lot of contract work with ports and stuff for other developers, so he has a unique perspective.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Sounds rad, Guy. Definitely going to listen!

edit: giving you highly valuable retweets and facebook shares so now you owe me a life debt

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'd better get in touch with all my old teachers and tell them they're idiots.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Trexy posted:

This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

But those are the same people.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
A few people have shown up on the Idle Thumbs forum to complain (rudely) about the discussion of social stuff as well. It's weird and annoying.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The real tricky part is finding one that works. Virtual Boys just die eventually.

Emulation is great if you have an Oculus Rift, although because of that wacky controller you have to remap the controls for every game you play in order to find something suitable.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The videos are done by a 'reader.'

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I am so going to listen to these kerbal casts. Maybe they'll motivate me to start playing again! :jeb:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The thing about Halo wasn't the control setup alone, it was the finely tuned numbers correlating the deflection angle of the stick to the acceleration of the player's view. Halo did that better than most contemporaries, and it was something that still presented a hurdle for other developers for a long time after.

I rarely notice a game feeling weird in that regard now, but it was a crapshoot for a while. In many older console shooters, it's impossible to find a satisfying balance between fine aiming and fast turning.

edit: I never played Timesplitters; it may have been great at that, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'd love to see them tackle Spintires, the Steam sensation. It's tremendously satisfying once you start to figure it out, while the early flailing is hilarious and frustrating. It seems like a good candidate for streaming.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pasco posted:

I can't believe the Thumbs are making us choose between these awesome shirt designs.

I love the gifs.

I'm abstaining, because I like them all.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I enjoyed it, too. I think I'll finally get over the hump and play it to completion now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Xtanstic posted:

I clicked out of morbid curiosity. I regret it.

Wow, same here. What the gently caress; what the fuuuuuuuck.

Lugaloco posted:

Even though there's been a focus on how a lot of these idiots harassing people like Anita and Zoe are in their teens, you just know there's a hell of a lot of men in their 20s and 30s that are doing it too.

Yeah, what the gently caress. As the above videos demonstrate.

gently caress! I've been too wrapped up in my own poo poo to follow this stuff much, so the current Idle Thumbs brought me up to speed, and it's all awful. They had a good discussion of it. If I knew anyone who looked like they were going to be on the wrong side of history with this stuff, I'd send this podcast to them (before shutting down contact with them).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What if I want to report some facts and also have opinions on them at the same time?

Every line of that thing can bite my butthole.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Oh my god, I had to check to see if they picked any Stardock games. Sure enough:

quote:

Galactic Civilizations® III

"Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock was victim of corrupt journalism when a false claim of sexual harassment was spread on the internet."

Wowie zowie, these guys.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

augustus gluten posted:

I'm still excited about Gal Civ 3 though.

I'm conflicted. The Gal Civ games are probably the least worst of all the modern interpretations of Master of Orion.

I wish someone else would come out with a better or equally good version!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

What in the gently caress.

I'm glad nobody has a reason to cherry-pick through my tweets to make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

edit: hahaha, I'm actually in that post

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I feel shallow asking, but is there a point when Crate & Crowbar stops sounding like it's recorded with a single extremely sensitive microphone?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
As long as we get all those raw, unedited fart noises, I'm happy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

al-azad posted:

Now talking pilots, I wish I saw the original series Star Trek pilot as a kid. That was some Twilight Zone mind fuckery happening and Star Trek to me is always at its best when it's the crew versus some weird alien race. It taps into my love of the unconventional.

Seeing The Cage on its own isn't all that necessary, because it's contained (inside a framing story) in the two-parter The Menagerie. It's very cool, though; I do like the cage.

But the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before) is better because it ends with a fistfight.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Sexy Randal posted:

Also wanted to say that this weeks Thumbs was one of the best. I was losing my poo poo at Nick's Sims story. "Please continue".

Me, too. I was trying to hide my face on the bus this morning.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm much further than 10 seconds in, and boy do I come with a gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V94NttCtWBQ

e: Although I found one downside to the HDness - Riddler's suit could do with a little adjusting... down there.

Holy mucilage!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

coyo7e posted:

I'm so glad I played the poo poo out of prince of persia when it was a 2d puzzle game with occasional swashbuckler mechanics. Everything after that feels like Aladdin the Disney Cartoon - if Aladdin got a redux by the people who made Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.

The Sands of Time is baller to the max. The other modern PoPs can poop up a stick for all I care.

I do still love the 2D games, though. They still hold up really well.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

weird bleep posted:

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics...

This post is cool and makes all kinds of sense. I don't know anything about Yoshi's Island (never played it), but that's a cool intersection of art and goofy tech.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My general, low-level terror when presented with certain configurations of human anatomy has always made the idle thumbs name and logo creep me out a little.

It also makes David Cronenberg movies work really well on me.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 31, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Nightbraid

So this year is the first time I've skipped all the Giant Bomb GOTY coverage. It's one of those things where I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, but some compulsion always forced me into it in the past. It felt good to not listen to hours of bickering this time.

It's like how I always say I don't want to watch press conferences; I'd rather let other people watch and summarize the salient points for later digestion at my leisure, but then I get sucked in anyway. No more!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Eponymous posted:

The only argument for P3 is that the story is a lot more bleak and depressing, so Gary'd probably like it better. :suicide:

When it comes to the writing, I thought the main storyline was far more satisfying in P3, but there's a richer tapestry of incidental crap in 4. Such good games. I never thought I'd like a JRPG!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Lork posted:

As for why it hasn't been ported, that's probably because it's an atrocious piece of poo poo unworthy of the JSR name. Thankfully, the music (the only redeeming feature) can be enjoyed on any platform you'd like.

I'm curious to know why you think it's so bad. It didn't knock my socks off to the degree that the original did, but I thought it had its charms.

I remember feeling like it let me noodle around and appreciate the world more than the first, which I enjoyed.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They do have legitimate uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ONE YEAR LATER posted: