Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fingers of Fury posted:

I believe that's what they call an ad hominem.

I know you think you are funny and smart but you aren't, cheers bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think part of the problem is that moreso than a theatrical film or something, buying a new AAA console or PC game is a non-trivial investment for most people. $60 is over six months of Netflix. It's a month or more of a kid's savings. I'm not saying games are necessarily overpriced, but I do think consumer advocacy is worth something, probably more than it is when The A/V Club reviews a TV sitcom or whatever. $60 is a lot to pay for a broken product or a 4-hour game you play once and then use as a coaster (unless that one time is incredible, but if it is, you might play it again).

Ideally, we'd live in a world with a lot of good consumer advocates and a lot of good critical theory about games. We don't really have either right now, and the way mainstream critics try to mash up both often just produces milquetoast, meaningless reviews that are of no practical value to anyone. This was Ebert's approach, but Ebert was in some ways a pretty singular talent; look at the myriad of terrible "film critics" who flounder around with his approach all over your local newspapers.

Baku fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 8, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They're kind of polar opposites, since the whole reason people like the story in Dark Souls is that it barely exists and Homestuck is probably the longest thing ever written

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ja2ke posted:

So yeah, I think the reason "more adult themes" or "mature Zelda" gets so many eyerolls is because without a specific sense of what that actually means to you, and what that means in the constraints of a Zelda game, it is a nearly infinite unknown void for people to fill in for themselves. "Are these themes right for this game" is also a question you have to ask. Like, when people try to push Star Wars into a mega dark angst filled brooding man zone, I don't understand why they're putting that into Star Wars, instead of into a story and world that are built for it. I am absolutely not saying that's what you're asking for, because again I don't really know what you're asking for, but in those Star Wars cases (and in many Dark Zelda cases) it feels like people are trying to force their toys to grow up with them (or to bend them to justify/support their burgeoning adult thoughts, worldviews, and problems) instead of finding new avenues to pursue that are actually about those things at their core.

While I'm on the same page with, like, the overall gist of this argument, it's very very easy to use this line of reasoning to create ridiculous false dilemmas, a thing Nintendo fans are good at doing to people who criticize the company's flagship franchises. The problem with Star Wars, for example, isn't just that Star Wars fans grew up; it's also that the prequels really were bad movies, both markedly inferior to the original trilogy as films and also less original by virtue of the fact that they're prequels

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I guess I really don't know what I want to see out of a modern Zelda game at this point. It's definitely not grimdark, but then again it's not babby's first adventure either. The quick look at Zelda Wii U got me excited though, so maybe they are on to whatever "it" is.

At this point I'd be happy with them either jettisoning the narrative stuff and getting back to a pure play experience more like The Legend of Zelda or even LTTP (I haven't played Link Between Worlds) OR taking the narrative stuff and, I dunno, making it good, like the original Star Wars trilogy or most of Miyazaki's films or basically any Pixar movie or any of the myriad of things ostensibly for children that have actual meaningful themes and affect of any kind

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ja2ke posted:

This isn't intended to sound snarky but I don't know what point you're trying to argue. I would like to, and it's probably on me for missing it, but I genuinely can't tell.

Since you used Star Wars as an example, The Empire Strikes Back is actually a perfect example of how you don't have to choose between "adult themes" (for a reasonable, mature definition of what that means) and something that is accessible and appealing to children. I frequently find that Nintendo's vocal fans have a tendency to propose false dilemmas of that sort to handwave criticism.

I've been up all night and I wasn't really trying to argue about it anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vastakaiun posted:

Terminator 3 was alright

Bitch this thread has been a troll-free zone for months and here you come

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

thark posted:

While I'm not going to make excuses for sagafro (which I don't like partly for entirely different reasons, although the addition of the combowhatsit system is also a detriment), I am a huge fan of Romancing SaGa 2-3 ... but I think they're more fun if you have access to a thorough guide to how the goddamn mechanics actually work and what all the hidden (or sometimes outright falsely advertised) stats are and can make actual informed decisions. (Fortunately if you read japanese these games have been analyzed to exhaustive detail.)

Yeah I like RS3 and Saga/FFL2 and despite being a confirmed fan of a few games in the series I still don't like Saga Frontier and think SF2 and series prototype Final Fantasy 2 are among the worst games of any kind I've ever played. Every time somebody says FF2 isn't the worst Final Fantasy or that the myriad remakes of it "fixed" it I cringe and seize up and want to fight someone, feelings I never ever get for videogames otherwise.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ulta posted:

Not that transparency is a bad thing, but seriously who gives a gently caress if Ben Kuchera backed a game or once gave a homeless dude 5 dollars and that man was Nick Breckon.

Idiots. Morons. Manchildren. People who think that glorified toy reviewers should rightfully be subject to the same level of institutional and professional rigor as people who cover political malfeasance or do ethnographic research on the homeless. People with weird brains and poo poo lives, external and internal. Ask me how I feel, here, in the Gaming Podcasts thread.

And about videogames or w/e Suikoden 3 has a decent story which continues the metaplot of 1/2 in interesting ways but makes poor mechanical changes, 4 sucks, and 5 seems like a deliberate attempt to return to the storytelling and mechanics of 1/2 but completely misses the thing that makes those games feel good (how insanely snappy everything is) and is one of the most plodding JRPGs I've ever played

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's charitable to assume the majority of these people are 14 and not 24.

Woffle posted:

I think the mechanical things are what make Suikoden so worth playing now. The thematic stuff is great but it takes a lot to make me want to play a JRPG these days.

Stop playing with 2, then. The games lose that feeling of lightness and the quick random encounters that make 1/2 so breezy to replay. 3 and 5 are both decent games, in their own ways, but I'll never play either again.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like that Chris (I assume, he was talking the most) pointed out how weirdly fascist it all is, which is funny; they sound and frame their rhetoric like fascists because they literally are fascists for whom the ideal they swear allegiance to and are willing to kill for is a 15 year old games industry that never existed instead of a 50-1000 year old nation-state that never existed

The sexism and homophobia based on "logic" and "nature" rather than spirituality, using violence and intimidation to bully their critics into submission while simultaneously claiming victimhood, belief in a conspiracy of minorities to undermine their otherwise perfect system, the desire to silence artists and dismiss them as degenerate or illegitimate if their work falls outside the range of what they consider acceptable to their idealized vision...

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What is the legitimate criticism of Zoe Quinn, other than "Depression Quest is a bad game which harmfully depicts the illness of depression"?

The only other things I can come up with are "she's overweight" and "she cheated on her boyfriend", neither of which is really all that meaningful or relevant to anything unless you're crazy, and all the "she hosed people for positive coverage" stuff is made up

On what level does any of it justify people showing up at her house to stalk and harass her?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

There's probably also the opportunity for a much better discussion of the ethics of games criticism than "critics aren't journalists and if we didn't have journalists building relationships we'd have a two term Nixon presidency". It kind of misses the point.

I agree that it's silly to just throw up hands and be like "I guess we have to accept Jeff Gerstmann being fired because he reviewed Kane and Lynch honestly", but the Quinn thing bringing this up is crazy and ridiculous because she didn't actually get notable coverage or positive reviews from anyone in the mainstream business much less violate journalistic ethics to get them, and the reasons for it are obvious to anybody who isn't terrified of the minority boogeymen on Tumblr.

I don't think the Thumbs were trying to say that games journalism/criticism is a fine and healthy business with no weirdness or untoward behavior or problems, but that for perspective:

1) It isn't as hopelessly compromised or different from other types of journalism as its critics think.

2) Journalistic ethics among game reviewers are massively less important than among people who cover political corruption or police brutality or basically any other issue under the sun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

I think a lot of the reason the Zoe Quinn stuff struck people who aren't just total women-hating nutjobs is that there is literally no trust the state of games criticism.

When I don't trust someone, I avoid them. I don't turn half my life into a crusade to expose or save them.

The elephant in the room is that way too many people give way too much of a poo poo about a specific kind of videogames that don't give a poo poo about them and never have. It's why they thrash against the posts when Anita gets a detail about Metroid wrong, why they create conspiracy theory corkboards with photos of game developers linked to Adam Sessler by string, why they take personal umbrage when notable foot-in-mouth disease victim Phil Fish says something stupid about glorious Nippon. Too much of their identity and self-worth is mixed up in mass-produced commercial entertainment products that they've spent more time with than they have any real living person, and it makes them act loving crazy.

It is uncool to say this, though, because of course there's no difference in passion and manic obsession and it hits uncomfortably close to home for some of the people on the side that doesn't want to murder a woman too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Lmao congrats on being just as petty and dumb as the horrible retards you're wringing your hands over.

Actually, i'm right...

Jordan7hm posted:

When you engage with morons you don't improve the quality of the conversation.

That's the trick behind what they do. If you engage them they barrage you with retarded poo poo and if you don't their perspective is unchallenged. Better to engage and lol when something you say gets past their Irony Shields and they get worked up.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Nerds are upset at other nerds over gay baby games drama

That's the thing tho: when people make death threats and steal your bank information and show up at your home to harass you it's kind of different from just gay baby games drama

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I am sorry I used the word literally in my post

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Well boy howdy do I have a treat for you! Apparently Kane there associates himself with, and I poo poo you not this is what they actually call it, the "Dark Enlightenment". Check out the "Positions" section in particular, and prepare to be utterly unsurprised.

quote:

Political authoritarianism
Desire to return to monarchy or aristocracy
Admiration of fascism

you don't say

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you know swatting is a real thing, though, that story seems completely plausible at least in the US; I can easily see one of those bogus calls leading to someone being shot to death or something and then the law coming down like a ton of bricks on the crank caller and prosecuting them for murder.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Giantbomb also has a tendency to dismiss people as assholes and ignore them instead of engaging, and also when you're a bunch of white dudes that are engaged and invested enough in the AAA side of the business (~not that there's anything wrong with that~) it becomes hard to paint them as part of the secret hipster feminist queer cabal destroying fine videogames.

They do occasionally pop up on those "AROUND GAMES JOURNALISTS NEVER RELAX" corkboard conspiracy images, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lol and lol at anybody surprised that there was an organized smear campaign happening on the chan side or that people did not in fact get "fake hacked"

Also re: Nier, it's a really good game and it deserves time and a considered eye (and you should even do the sidequests, some of which are long and boring, which feels more intentional than say how bad the minigames in No More Heroes are)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

If I were theoretically ordering Nier, would I want it on PS3 of 360? That came out early enough that I suspect it might make a difference.

It doesn't really make a difference, the game is pretty easy on the hardware. I just googed it to make sure I wasn't lying to you and apparently 360 was the lead development platform or something? Idk

It should probably be mentioned in the episode that in Japan the PS3 version had a substantially different version of the protagonist who was more of a conventional JRPG hero with a big brother relationship to the young girl as opposed to the Busey-looking father Nier we got in every US version. It doesn't have a big impact on the actual game, but it's an interesting thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

yeah exhibit A in the racketeering trial of idle thumbs is REAL funny

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, what if these people spent this much effort and energy bettering themselves or their local communities? Imagine that time focused towards a good cause instead of words written about electronic bleeps and bloops.

You really don't even need to stretch them that far; imagine the potential good if they were this passionate about journalistic integrity as it pertains to their own cities and communities or to things like the civil unrest in Ferguson.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sober posted:

If you ever favourited a tweet from an indie developer you need to recuse yourself when writing a report about their release date.

*pulls aside undies made in a third-world sweatshop and purchased at Wal-Mart to masturbate to naked photos of celebrities stolen from password-protected photo accounts*

It's about accountability

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Boy, if you are tired of the same old Destiny conversation that's been happening since the beta, you might as well skip the first hour of this weeks Bombcast.

Incorrect. The first couple minutes of the episode are Dan relating the fact that his dad only drinks Monster energy drinks all day and then picks up $20 of Taco Bell on the way home, which is his only meal.

If anybody here is still interested in conspiracy theories about game journalists you may be interested in my theory that there is no way Dan Ryckert is a real person.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Scumbag posted:

So many people who think they are funny. Why the gently caress does GBS even exist anymore? It's literally worse than Reddit and 4chan put together. At least on those sites you don't have the awkward SA pretentiousness mixed in with the "witty" dialogue.

There's a guy who posts in the GBS thread who has only posted about living in Asia and how much he hates women and feminism in his entire like 3 years posting on SA

Almost everybody is doing fakeposting/trolling/whatever poo poo but then every tenth post is a legitimate loon and it's actually kind of funny (for a minute)

C-Euro posted:

I can't remember which gaming podcast went on a long tangent recently about Minecraft's far-reaching tendrils, but I didn't believe it until this evening where, while walking through Target, I stumble across hardcover guidebooks for Minecraft. Broken into different topics too (a book for combat, a book for machine-building, and a basic survival book) :psyduck: What the hell?

Dude, they sell Minecraft poo poo everywhere. I'm almost positive I've seen t-shirts at Wal Mart.

I was more weirded out by finding League of Legends merchandise at a Books-A-Million, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's a cross between the original Legend of Zelda and Lego; everybody on this forum would've liked it as a kid.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered that a friend of mine taught English in South Korea and all the kids had nicknames they got to choose and call one another the same way you pick names like Hans and Sven in German class or whatever

One of them was Minecraft

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

If you feel you got a side in this fight take it to the gamegate thread. I'm sure Kewpuh doesn't want to deal with this thread becoming Game's hidden GamerGate hideout.

You should probably start reporting people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

So how about whatever dumb thing Ryckert inevitably vomited out into this week's Bombast eh guys?

Last week he ground up Ryan's dead body and ate all the rotten meat while everyone else made weird spooky noises with their mouths for three hours, you're missing out on the renaissance of Giant Bomb.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
TotalBiscuit really is gross human trash though. Do you hear me bitch boy???? Namesearch yourself... and live with it if you can.

Tempo 119 posted:

I think the disrespect Phil Fish gets is grossly disproportionate to anything he ever actually did

Yeah, he has problems w/ emotional control but on the other hand he's not a fat idiot in a trilby or a libertarian internet journalist

Like at least the things he lashes out at are trolls and the police and poo poo instead of women and homosexuals which would put him on a level above a lot of the people who virulently hate everything he stands for even if he hadn't actually made a neat little game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Just because something doesn't control like Mario doesn't make it a bad platformer :colbert:

bad news...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The original Castlevania plays nothing like Mario and is a goddamn great game. Hell, even Mega Man doesn't have the same feel. While I get why some people don't like the momentum based movement of Sonic I think 2 and 3 are great. Hell, we're even talking about cinematic platformers like Oddworld and those are some of the best games. Using "not like Mario" as a shorthand for bad controls is either lazy or close minded.

Yeah I was just jokin' around. I enjoy CV1/3 and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, which share the common factor of a lack of air control - that is, once you commit to a jump, you're committed, and if you mistimed it or an enemy moved under your landing spot you're gonna eat it. The end result is that those games are more about deliberation and timing than most Mario games are (which are forgiving in this regard) and they're all ultimately much more difficult than any Mario game I've ever played. They don't control badly, but I can see how being more punitive with jump timing would frustrate some people. It certainly frustrated me trying to beat Castlevania 3 as a kid.

Ultimately I think a problem a lot of gamers (casual and ~hardcore~) and game reviewers succumb to is this idea that if something isn't "for them", it sucks or is objectively flawed. This just becomes more and more common as the games industry expands to include more types of people and content (and will continue to do so for ex. as VR and motion-based games improve and people of backgrounds other than white male computer guy continue to make inroads into design positions) and I'm really not looking forward to another twenty years of people saying Gone Home isn't a game because you can't die and Dark Souls is too hard to be fun. There is room in the world for both!

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 5, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

The trick to appreciating Twin Peaks for me was to realize that it's trying to be funny.

http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-1998-07-0059612.pdf

But yeah it's nutso poo poo to imagine TP airing on ABC when I was six years old

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Twin Peaks was such a strange hit in Asian countries, particularly Japan, that I wouldn't be surprised if Swery really didn't watch it but knew enough about it secondhand. Miyamoto said that the surreal Koholint island and its offbeat citizens was inspired by Twin Peaks.

If Twin Peaks had never existed everybody would be talking about how Deadly Premonition was such a wacky Japanese take on America. It's the exact kind of exaggerated pastiche that people usually love when it's about other peoples' culture, it just happens to have been made by Americans.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

And here we all thought videogames didn't cause school shootings

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like that their largely transphobic movement's token tran is the craziest one possible, personally

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the thing I don't understand about the attitude that "the war's over" wrt Gamergate or that it's not a big deal or worth talking about anymore is, like, what the hell else is worth talking about? Videogames are terrible!

coyo7e posted:

You can't ignore it, because it puts you into fight/flight response immediately.

No but you can just turn the computer, off, you see, you can turn the computer off, and then that data isn't being stored anywhere...... (there is a place where it stays)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I was saying is that even when you walk away from the computer the place the data of the bad men is stored is in your head, which you cannot turn off without putting a bullet in it, and so the argument that interactions on the internet are all bullshit that doesn't matter or affect reasonable adults is really dumb and wrong

I'm on your side I just type like a weirdo itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SoulChicken posted:

Favorite bird in a Video Game? (Excluding duck from duck hunt)

Easily Christmas Duck from Gone Home, but since you specified from a videogame, the answer is the giant birdman in a wizard's robe from EVO.

• Locked thread