Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

I have absolutely no problem with a person not finding South Park or any edgy media funny, I haven't even played the game. What I have an issue with is the idea that it requires some level education or perspective to get the meaning of something "correctly". When a artist puts a piece of work out into the public space, it is at the mercy of the audience to how they interpret it. That's a personal thing, and the macro reaction to it is but a reflection of all these personal reactions, some of which the artist may have never expected due to their own personal perspective/biases. I believe that the audiences reaction to art is just as important, if not more important, than the artist's original intent as it reveals societal characteristics and trends of the time.

That's more a symptom of the spectrum of society than a inherent problem of it though. Those people existed prior to the work, and would still exist regardless of its release.

I think the concern is more that South Park can, for example, teach schoolkids to use "Jew" as an actual nonironic insult. I don't buy that this doesn't happen, because South Park came out when I was in middle school and kids absolutely absorbed a lot of the surface level parts of that show without thinking critically about it, because the show is entirely watchable as simply a hilarious offensive thing. It's not a matter of people being "correct" or "incorrect"; there's lots of media that can be unpacked at a super deep level, and also can be enjoyed at a surface level, and who cares. But there's also some media that can very easily advance attitudes and speech that, in all likelihood, it does not intend to literally advocate, and I think it's entirely reasonably to bring that up as a matter for discussion and criticism without calling for censorship or elitism. No media is off-limits to criticism, and there are lots of reasons to criticize things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

I think the message that episode sends is more "society can define and redefine the meaning and connotation words have" moreso than "GO AROUND YELLING 'human being' BECAUSE IT'S OKAY!"
It involves the use of that word, but it's not literally about that.

(I think that episode is kinda gross and disagree with its takeaway, but. Whatever.)

So I haven't seen this episode but I think the point here is that it's SUPER EASY to confuse the intended message in a case like this. Some works can be dense or difficult to understand, or have a deeper meaning that hides behind something purely enjoyable, but that's kind of different to the message of a work being able to be taken in two entirely different ways (possibly even opposing ways) without needing to reach very far.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

After hearing it discussed on the last two or three episodes of Idle Thumbs, I'm still not on board with the staunch anti-objectivity stance with respects to game reviews. I wonder if it might be a difference on what "objective" means in my eyes vs yours. To me "objective" means that you're taking out any sort of personal connection or investment you might have in the work, and looking at it simply as-is. An example of this is that when I was in grad school, it wasn't out of the ordinary for my advisor to be skeptical or simply not believe in a publication put out by one of his collaborators, even if they were working with us on something else at the time. It was never a knock against the author, but at the same knowing and working with the author didn't stop him from looking at the argument of the paper with a critical eye, which is really important.

I really think that an effective game review has to lack any sort of personal backdrop in order to get the message across to a wider audience. A reviewer can write "this story really pulled at my heartstrings because I know the writer was thinking of ______ when making it" but few other people are going to also know that going in, so that's not an effective argument for the game in such a case. I do think it's OK for a reviewer to say that some part resonated with them because of an experience in their own life, but again I don't think that's very effective because not everyone has that experience to call upon.

On the other hand, towards the end of the most recent discussion I felt that you guys might be "objective" as "how much of this experience can we quantify?", which I'm totally fine with being against. I don't think you should put a discrete number to every part of a game for the reason I stated above, that not everyone is coming into a game with the same knowledge or goals. I think it's why stuff like Giant Bomb's Quick Looks or Let's Players on Youtube have gotten so popular as ways to show off and discuss games, because for the most part they just show the game and let the viewer interpret it as they wish, to an extent.

Lack of strict objectivity doesn't necessarily mean "this reminds me of this experience I had in my life." That's ONE way of writing criticism but I don't think it's the only way to write personal or subjective reviews. What's more important is an ability to look at the game holistically, in whatever way seems appropriate for the particular game--contextualizing the game meaningfully, and evaluating the choices it makes relative to all the other choices it makes, as opposed to the traditionally "objective" style of game reviewing which seeks to establish some kind of consistent scale by which all games can be judged. I don't think the way I feel about this is heavily at odds with the way you do, depending on how one interprets the first sentence of your second paragraph.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm astonished at how amazingly Danielle has fit into the podcast. She's fantastic. I'm so glad she's a regular host now.

Most recent thumbs is fantastic.

That's exactly why she became a regular! Pretty much all our guests are good friends but Danielle has fit in a really natural and easy way.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

It's definitely on the verge of being run into the ground.

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Haha, that business card is from 2004/2005. My girlfriend found it when we were reorganizing/tossing a ton of stuff in my apartment.

(Edit: I thought it was funny to claim that I accept bribes because at the time literally nobody had heard of us and the idea of anyone offering us a bribe was utterly absurd. A decade later I have still never been offered a bribe.)

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Why isn't Idle Thumbs using all their Campo Santo money to fund their podcast?(??)

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but just in case it isn't:

This actually WOULD be unethical, in my opinion. The two companies are unrelated other than having some of the same people associated with them. Legally and financially there is zero connection. You could argue that we would essentially be committing some kind of fraud by diverting funds from one company to subsidize another. Also, ethical questions aside, I think it would be poor business as well; Campo already isn't in a position where it has money to spare, but let's say it were. If, in the future, Campo went out of business or had some bad luck, or whatever, but we still wanted Idle Thumbs to stick around, Idle Thumbs would have nothing in the bank, no financial cushion, since it would have been running for years off borrowed money. We'd have to build up a revenue apparatus from scratch (again) and it would probably be something of a rocky start at the very least.

It would also just feel weird and dishonest. If Idle Thumbs is going to cost money to run, which it does, it should probably pay for itself.

We would like to offer some kind of paid ad-free alternative, and we've been having conversations about it, but it would almost certainly not be Patreon or something like that; it would be something homegrown that we could control all aspects of to ensure we can run it in the way we think is best. This is the same philosophy we took with the store--rather than running it through a one-stop solution like Cafepress or something like that--and we're really happy with the results even if it results in some extra work for us and probably limits revenue in some ways. Any time we ask readers for money (or let them give us money), we want to be proud of the way in which we're doing it.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Tae posted:

That's loving nuts. I used to do that, and it made me quit editing because it's so tedious to listen for something 3 times as long as the actual podcasst at times.

Back in the early days of Idle Thumbs, I used to edit the podcasts a lot more heavily than I do now. At this point I basically chop out a break, crop it to the beginning and the end, bookend it with some dumb garbage if something funny is available, and that's it. There are times I miss doing elaborate or experimental things with the editing, but the amount of time it took just becomes untenable when it's added on top of all the other things you have to do in a day. It starts to make it all feel like a chore, which is dangerous when the thing in question isn't your actual job.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

_jink posted:

editing for professionalism is a fools errand, but what about comedy? :( Purely auditory jokes are so rare, and so hilarious. Things like bringing up stirring music behind a Breckon rant (and cutting it at the right time) are seriously some of my favorite thumbs bits from the whole run.

ie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfgte5sW9mU

or the end of the kerbal stream

Those aren't edits though!

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Chris, I made a thread for great indie game music, if you'd like to post about your work, since I know you're good at that music "thing". Also, you're getting quite the discography under your belt what with you being the dude on Firewatch, right? Good on ya. :)

Nice thread! I don't like the idea of recommending my own work on a public forum though. Feels different than if it's my own Twitter or whatever.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

thefncrow posted:

I have to say, I'm surprised by this, because this is the first time I've heard anyone say their playtime was sub-20 hours. Everything else has been 20-25, 25, 28, and such.

This kind of thing is so common in games. One of the things you learn as a developer is how you can never predict the range of ways your game will be played, both by people intending to play it in unexpected ways and by people who are just playing however they play and getting totally different results. It's one of the reasons I find it really tiresome when people complain about dollars per hour and how they're not getting enough value, because as a developer you'll see that somebody took four hours to complete your game and somebody else took 20 and they'll both claim this is just "how long the game is."

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Someone should write in with fighting game balance knowledge to questions@idlethumbs.net

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Really glad the Thumbs like Talos Principle. Keep playing it, because they either weren't very far in or were avoiding spoiling some of the later metagameish elements, but once some of those things slot into place it goes from a good puzzle game to something a lot more. Reminds me a lot of The Swapper, for good reason.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you're (physically) a robot, go into the options and turn on third person mode. In the same menu you can also crank up the player's foot speed a little bit, which is nice since the game does involve a hell of a lot of running around.

It's a really minor thing, but I absolutely loved the way they handled the tutorial because it's completely unobtrusive and runs through the most basic logic of the game in a way that totally makes sense in-universe. Watch the little status messages it pops up in the HUD as you go through it and it's pretty obvious that you're some sort of puzzle-solving machine. It even makes sense based on the sketchy knowledge I have of infant logical development, and I thought it did a wonderful job of setting the tone for the whole game.

There are definitely a bunch of structural elements that open up that I didn't touch on at all because I felt like I was already being really spoilers and I didn't feel I had to go further to sell the game properly but yeah you're right that it just gets better and better.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

The way we feel about the interview has NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WE FEEL ABOUT MOLYNEUX.

I don't think interviews of that style are enlightening or worthwhile REGARDLESS OF THE SUBJECT. We are not giving Molyneux a free pass.

I would feel exactly the same way (AND DO) when interviews are conducted in that manner with political figures who I believe have had a significant negative impact on society, and that's a loving huge amount more important than any video game thing. It is truly maddening to me that people can't seem to separate the two concepts. Just because someone is potentially dishonest and manipulative and irresponsible doesn't mean I am going to enjoy or appreciate or be in any way reasonably informed by the most aggressive and self-righteous possible interview of them.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

I would disagree that "minor game journalist" is an appropriate characterization of one of the co-owners of Rock Paper Shotgun, but even if it were, I don't think it makes any difference if the interview in question ended up being one of the most widely discussed and widely read pieces of game journalism recently, which I suspect this was, at least in the circles that I am aware of.

Is there anyone who is unaware of Molyneux's history who is now aware of it? I doubt it. If people are so sick of his bullshit, just stop supporting it. It's all been well-known for YEARS. I don't know how many more times people need to learn about 1) Peter Molyneux's nonsense, and 2) the risks of Kickstarter, before they just learn whatever lesson is necessary to learn. It's ridiculous. The notion that there is any actual gain from someone finally sticking it to Peter Molyneux (as if anything is gained, or anything new learned) is just exhausting to me.

Maybe I'm overly fixated, that's totally possible. If I am, it's probably because it feels like an extension of a narrative and style of media engagement that I already find really depressing and frustrating outside the context of games, and then ALSO having it in games is just a huge bummer to me. So maybe I should have contextualized the source of my frustration better. I don't expect the endless-hype-followed-by-endless-disillusionment cycle to stop any time soon, no matter how many irate interviews are conducted. I don't think righteous catharsis helps with it, I think it makes it worse.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

umalt posted:

Hey, Chris and Jake, I am just curious about your response; do you guys think that there should be some degree of consumer advocacy in the enthusiast press. I can agree with your points about the tone and intent behind the article, and with other comments made about it; but I still agree with the intent, that consumers are upset with the product that Molyneux "sold" them and want to hold him accountable for the misinformation he gave. Do you think that websites should have features like this, though maybe in a different form or tone.

While I don't see consumer advocacy as the principle responsibility of journalism, yes I definitely think that the mismanagement of Godus and Molyneux's pattern of irresponsible overpromising is a completely valid subject for reporting.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Thirsty Dog posted:

Man, there's "overpromising" and then there's "literally saying anything with no intention of backing it up, plus promising one thing and then doing the complete opposite as soon as the money comes in".

But I feel like I'm in this weird dual world where I'm both nitpicking like an arsehole but also trying to point out this huge disconnect... argh. I'll stop.

Again, I'm not actually taking issue with anyone's objections to Molyneux's behavior.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Chris/Jake, have either of you played Darkest Dungeon yet? I think it'd be right up your alley. It oozes style and has a significant Lovecraftian Dark Souls aesthetic to it. I've basically done everything possible at this point at just about 28 hours played, and they've still got 5+ more classes(to the existing 10) and two more dungeons(to the existing 3) to add. It's a really solid game, it's definitely early access even though it's incredibly polished for an EA game, but they'll likely work out the kinks in the next six months before official release. I bet it'd result in some really good stories about given characters too, since they kinda write themselves.

Like the starter Crusader, Reynauld, of which mine went down swinging after the entire party had been killed and he was alone against four pigmen, he managed to survive over a dozen deathblows and kill two of them before finally being dragged down. It's a fantastic game.

I played it at PAX and thought it was really cool! I should play it for real.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I can't figure out Cara Ellison's accent on the latest IT and it's driving me crazy.

She is Scottish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Her anecdote from the British map guy talking about how SimCity is unmistakably an American game was really interesting. Never really considered that perspective for a thing like SimCity before

That was Cara, but yeah it was good.

• Locked thread