Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Positronic Spleen posted:

Huh, I guess it was only one level. Probably just the similarly named levels and the two drop points mixing me up. I found a random longplay off of youtube that shows it: http://youtu.be/1HmB4ZOEMd0?t=34m30s
I'm thinking the shorter SNES version might be due to technical reasons.

I won't lie, the background art of the GIANT aliens is rather terrifying for some reason. I don't know why I find it so unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Hello everyone!

Time for the game to get worse for you all, oh BOY is it ever fun! :shepicide:

The only credit I can give this game is that it actually has a unique music theme for every single level, like nothing gets repeated music-wise which is very surprising to see.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm gonna admit, I never got past Sid's house as a kid, usually most of my lives and continues would be gone from The Claw :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Buddy, I knew Jazz Jackrabbit. Jazz Jackrabbit was a friend of mine! That level is no Jazz Jackrabbit!

Sheesh, I don't remember that level at all! The rest of the game I've at least vaguely remembered. This level? No memory whatsoever! I think I must have blocked it out. :psyduck:

Also:

Final Gamer posted:

If Woody were smaller and the screen were able to show more, then it would be easier.

In other words, if you were playing the Genesis version?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what is with this generation of games and freaking giant protagonists?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You REALLY wanna see this one. Just...please. We finally come to the end of this drat game. With the worst

loving

BULLSHIT CUNTASS LEVEL I ever seen, god DAMMIT

Oh well, at least it's over finally. I dunno if I plan to do any other games for the thread, I don't wanna take too many after all so you guys can have fun :v:

Hope you all enjoyed the LP everyone!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jesus, you weren't kidding!

That Scud level was in the TV commercial for the game. I remember quite clearly how cool it looked. And well... Scud still looks really cool! The rest of the level, noooo.

After watching you play this, I have no idea how I managed to get through it as a kid. I must have just used Game Genie codes, because I was all about the Game Genie back in the day. I don't see how I could have gotten through it otherwise. Also I think I completely blocked out that second RC level, unless it's just not in the Genesis version. I remember the last level though! So many deaths, SO MANY.

In conclusion, the SNES version is really hackneyed compared to the Genesis. The Genesis version had musical clips during all the little story scenes and the credits definitely had music.

Oh, one last thing. Your boyfriend was partially right. Traveller's Tales did do the PS2 Crash Bandicoot game: Wrath of Cortex.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

You REALLY wanna see this one. Just...please. We finally come to the end of this drat game. With the worst

loving

Oh well, at least it's over finally. I dunno if I plan to do any other games for the thread, I don't wanna take too many after all so you guys can have fun :v:

:darksouls:: Pixar Edition.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

loving

Toystory! I almost forgot that game. I rented it one time, never get past level 1 or something. Man, must I've been bored that day.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Also I think I completely blocked out that second RC level, unless it's just not in the Genesis version.
Not only did the Genesis have that level, it had an extra (albeit completely unique, if uninteresting) RC car level.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Really, instead of beating around the bush with these "oh, the Genesis version did this that and the other thing different", a comprehensive video showcasing all of the differences might be in order. (Not my video, but why make a video when somebody else did an admirable job already? Granted, if somebody wanted to LP the Genesis version anyway, the more the merrier...)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Really, instead of beating around the bush with these "oh, the Genesis version did this that and the other thing different", a comprehensive video showcasing all of the differences might be in order. (Not my video, but why make a video when somebody else did an admirable job already? Granted, if somebody wanted to LP the Genesis version anyway, the more the merrier...)
Well it certainly helps for the curious because gently caress that game I am never going back to it ever again.

How's the LP of Aladdin going by the way, cuz I was really loving your work on that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Incredibles had a spin-off style beat em up on the ps2 called Rise of the Underminer. Fairly OK beat em up.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

How's the LP of Aladdin going by the way, cuz I was really loving your work on that.
Was working on piecing the audio together at the time I posted that; wrapped that up last night. Hoping to squeeze it out tonight or tomorrow, because if I neglect to do it by then, it won't be up for another week-and-a-half.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Time for the worst part of the game!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

huzzah it's finally up :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh god the Sultan's Dungeon, oh god the Cave of Wonders, OH GOD the Escape!

So many memories, flooding back! Not good memories either. Bad, bad memories. :cry:

I forget if I mentioned this, I owned the SNES Aladdin but the Genesis one was one of those games I would just rent over and over again but never owned. Oddly enough, I preferred the Genesis version. I made some weird purchasing decisions back then!

Couple questions/observations. What is the music that plays in the Cave of Wonders? I don't recognize it from the movie. Also, the music in the Escape level sounds like something out of Ecco the Dolphin- the preshistoric levels, I think.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Couple questions/observations. What is the music that plays in the Cave of Wonders? I don't recognize it from the movie.

I'm pretty sure it's original music, not from the movie.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Aaaaah awesome, we finally see what I do agree is the worst part of the game. The Sultan's Dungeon is slow annoying platform puzzles with odd hit detection on blocks, Cave of Wonders I actually like and think is a pretty neat level, gently caress the Cave Escape gently caress it to hell so hard, and the Rug section I actually really loved a lot as a kid cuz it was to me easier than the Lion King wildebeest chase, personally anyways.

Excellent video editing btw, really enjoying your efforts into this game LP.

I do agree with your co-commentators that the background detail is pretty fantastic, kind of a real mark of a true Disney licensed game to have that much detail. The skeleton enemies I love though, I find them pretty stupidly funny for the entire animation they have, as well as that cutscene with the "trustworthy fellow".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that's pretty much a master class in what not to do with a platformer, right there, between the disappearing blocks in the dungeon and all those blind jumps in the escape sequence.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I was able to beat the game before I was able to legit beat Rug Ride (since it lets you skip it after 3 lives).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
First off - The Sultan's Dungeon.

Not only was it SO classic Prince of Persia, but seriously, it not like he can HIDE the sword? Why wasn't Alladin disarmed?

Cave of Wonders -

Steal nothing but the lamp, oh, and all those red gems. Those are okay to steal too.

Rug Ride -

I refuse to see those pickups as ANYTHING but tacos, sorry.

(And the skellingtons are totally classic Disney style visually. The suicide aspect of them will probably get the LPers a visit from Homeland Security.)

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Samizdata posted:

First off - The Sultan's Dungeon.

Not only was it SO classic Prince of Persia, but seriously, it not like he can HIDE the sword? Why wasn't Alladin disarmed?

Cave of Wonders -

Steal nothing but the lamp, oh, and all those red gems. Those are okay to steal too.

Rug Ride -

I refuse to see those pickups as ANYTHING but tacos, sorry.

(And the skellingtons are totally classic Disney style visually. The suicide aspect of them will probably get the LPers a visit from Homeland Security.)

Did you just try to argue a plot point of the movie against the cave of wonders level?
Like the rubies of the game that were a mechanic is one thing but, seriously man?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TCat posted:

Did you just try to argue a plot point of the movie against the cave of wonders level?
Like the rubies of the game that were a mechanic is one thing but, seriously man?

Ummmm, no. Not seriously.

Seriously not seriously.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, poo poo, the next episode of my LP just got a whole new world of awkward with today's news - the very next stage is dedicated entirely to the Genie. :cry:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Which is all kinds of bullshit.

EDIT: (The incident referred to is all kinds of bullshit for happening is what I meant to say.)

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Welp, poo poo.

Maybe you could dedicate the video to Robin Williams?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, poo poo, the next episode of my LP just got a whole new world of awkward with today's news - the very next stage is dedicated entirely to the Genie. :cry:
I see what you did there.

Also yes, that really is heartbreaking I am so sorry to hear about all this. But you know what?
I think he would want us to keep laughing, and god knows the Genie still makes me laugh, so don't get discouraged. We all ain't never had a friend like him. :)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Chimera-gui posted:

Welp, poo poo.

Maybe you could dedicate the video to Robin Williams?

Words cannot describe how broken I am from the news. He was one of my favorite comedians and actors since Aladdin was the first movie with him in it I saw. GODDAMN IT DISNEY give me my Aladdin Blu-ray so I can have my memories of him. Right now I only have two stand up DVDs of his (Weapons of Self Destruction (oh...) and Live on Broadway). drat I need to get DVDs/Blu-rays of Flubber & Mrs Doubtfire.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mateo360 posted:

Words cannot describe how broken I am from the news. He was one of my favorite comedians and actors since Aladdin was the first movie with him in it I saw. GODDAMN IT DISNEY give me my Aladdin Blu-ray so I can have my memories of him. Right now I only have two stand up DVDs of his (Weapons of Self Destruction (oh...) and Live on Broadway). drat I need to get DVDs/Blu-rays of Flubber & Mrs Doubtfire.

I highly recommend "The Birdcage," though Robin Williams gets thoroughly upstaged by Nathan Lane. But it's ok. Nathan Lane is in Disney movies too! I can never not picture Timon delivering his character's lines in that movie.

But yes, that news depressed the hell out of me. :( I now live in a world without Robin Williams in it. I say post the video and dedicate it to Robin Williams.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I highly recommend "The Birdcage," though Robin Williams gets thoroughly upstaged by Nathan Lane. But it's ok. Nathan Lane is in Disney movies too! I can never not picture Timon delivering his character's lines in that movie.

But yes, that news depressed the hell out of me. :( I now live in a world without Robin Williams in it. I say post the video and dedicate it to Robin Williams.
"The Birdcage" is loving amazing and I love that movie to bits, Robin Williams really lets go in that movie quite a bit and Nathan Lane has some real great moments.
I will also say I loved him in a more serious role with "One Hour Photo" where he was really loving creepy and I loved him in a much different role, and there is also "Good Morning Vietnam" which is a fine blend of dark comedy and war drama.

So yeah, Shadow Hog, I think you should dedicate the next video to Robin Williams and just laugh about whatever you want. It's what he would want, for people to keep laughing. Case in point, here's an actual story I heard about him.

When Robin Williams was doing voicework for Aladdin, he would leave when the day was done and he got a call from his friend Stephen Spielberg. At the time he was working on "Schindler's List". Now of course this is a very depressing serious movie and everyone gets off work pretty miserable.
Robin Williams would walk up to this set every day and made them laugh their asses off with comic sketches when they were done recording, Spielberg included. And because of this, everyone was much more relieved and more cheerful to come back to work the next day and have more motivation to finish off the movie. A few people said it would have been much more difficult to get through it if it wasn't for Robin Williams.

So let's all just keep laughing. For his sake. :)

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 13, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

"The Birdcage" is loving amazing and I love that movie to bits, Robin Williams really lets go in that movie quite a bit and Nathan Lane has some real great moments.
I will also say I loved him in a more serious role with "One Hour Photo" where he was really loving creepy and I loved him in a much different role, and there is also "Good Morning Vietnam" which is a fine blend of dark comedy and war drama.

So yeah, Shadow Hog, I think you should dedicate the next video to Robin Williams and just laugh about whatever you want. It's what he would want, for people to keep laughing. Case in point, here's an actual story I heard about him.

When Robin Williams was doing voicework for Aladdin, he would leave when the day was done and he got a call from his friend Stephen Spielberg. At the time he was working on "Schindler's List". Now of course this is a very depressing serious movie and everyone gets off work pretty miserable.
Robin Williams would walk up to this set every day and made them laugh their asses off with comic sketches when they were done recording, Spielberg included. And because of this, everyone was much more relieved and more cheerful to come back to work the next day and have more motivation to finish off the movie. A few people said it would have been much more difficult to get through it if it wasn't for Robin Williams.

So let's all just keep laughing. For his sake. :)

Nthed. Besides, why celebrate depression?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Well gang, I think we all need a good high-time of adventure to chase the clouds away, so let's get started on something new to keep the thread going while there's still games to uncover!

-------------

I Put On My Hat And Wizard Turban: Let's Play Mickey's Magical Quest

Mickey's Magical Quest was a seminal classic of Capcom's Disney games lineup, a game that while is very simplistic in both plot and length, had a very fun mechanic of changing costumes with different abilities. In some ways the game harkens to the design style of Demon's Crest in terms of gameplay, but either way is a very Capcom-style action platformer that, despite being very short, is also well-loved by SNES and Disney fans.

Joining with me is Silver Falcon who is also a fellow enthusiast of the game, as we take time out to explore and relive this wondrous game. Hope you all enjoy it!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 1, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Yay, the thread isn't dead yet, now Aces and I need to kick Shadow in gear so we can finish Aladdin.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'm going to take a wild guess that the Party Mode in the GBA remake of Magical Quest isn't a co-op Mickey and Minnie mode? I thought maybe the reason everyone was putting off the Magical Quest games was an attempt to get decent 2 player going.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

which Mickey Mouse game is it where you have to rescue Minney? I swear I played it when I was a kid but I can't seem to remember what it was called

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that the Party Mode in the GBA remake of Magical Quest isn't a co-op Mickey and Minnie mode? I thought maybe the reason everyone was putting off the Magical Quest games was an attempt to get decent 2 player going.

Now that you mention it, that would have been cool! But no, it was just me being lazy and trying to catch up a bit on my backlog before Nintendo releases every game I want to play ever in the next month or two.

Oh and I looked it up. Magical Quest was released in 1992. If I played it in '92, I would have been 8.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
It's good to see the thread come back!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Aces High posted:

which Mickey Mouse game is it where you have to rescue Minney? I swear I played it when I was a kid but I can't seem to remember what it was called
It's either Castle of Illusion on the Sega Genesis or Master System, or the Gameboy game Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands. Those are the only two I know of that have Minnie being rescued. I actually would love someone to LP Castle of Illusion, I really loved the remake they did a couple years back and I always wanted to see that game more fully.

...I was terrible at it :cripes: for some reason I was just unable to play it right.

mateo360 posted:

Yay, the thread isn't dead yet, now Aces and I need to kick Shadow in gear so we can finish Aladdin.
Get to it drat you, you guys were making a good funny LP! :argh:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

Get to it drat you, you guys were making a good funny LP! :argh:

Quickly Mateo, to the LP-mobile

• Locked thread