Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Greyish Orange posted:

I used to have the PS1 version, and it came with a separate disc which had various songs on it. All I can remember was this awful version of Ice Ice Mickey. I hope that doesn't count as the first CD I owned.

Oh god, I remember this. It was so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ConanThe3rd posted:

The thing is, music aside (and there it's more a case of doing music in a way that's more suited to the chip), there's no reason at all the SNES shouldn't be able to handle what the MD is doing. The fact it is such a shoddy project on practically all levels (To the point that they're needing a loading screen on a cartridge which is nothing short of utterly ludicrous) suggests a rush job with little budget as befitting Sony's attitude to the House that Mario Built at that time.

Loading times on a cartridge are, sadly, not unique. And it nearly always has to do with the same sort of thing: Compression (or, more accurately, on the fly decompression because of compressed assets.) Thing is, unless they bloated the code seriously, or that moose section required a lot more resources than I thought it did, I can't really see anything which would require pre-loading assets.

So consider me as confused as you, Conan!

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Moose Hunters

Another example of the PlayStation version once again being way harder than the other versions.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Killrrhubarb posted:

Moose Hunters

Another example of the PlayStation version once again being way harder than the other versions.
Wait can you not JUMP in the 3D segment?! Oh my god the gently caress is wrong with these people?! I mean it LOOKS a lot nicer, I really like the look of this stage but god drat that is a pain.
Also Mickey's face of terror is so much funnier on the PSX version. Glorious.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

Wait can you not JUMP in the 3D segment?! Oh my god the gently caress is wrong with these people?! I mean it LOOKS a lot nicer, I really like the look of this stage but god drat that is a pain.

You can jump, just jumping actually slows you down a lot more than actually crashing into the rocks. It's a pro speedrunning tactic! (Also, I was trying to show off that death scene with the moose squishing Mickey the first time).

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, I misremembered and thought that this was the 4th movie. If the next movie has motorboats that is the one that I would skip.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Major_JF posted:

If the next movie has motorboats that is the one that I would skip.

...how many other people did that level trip up? Am I justified in hating that one for being an inexplicable roadblock?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

One word on the difficulty ramp - Psyg/Pyg/nosis. They did tough games.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

missed opportunity to make it fade in and out to black

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I was confused at first because I thought the moose level came after what comes next; there are actually fewer levels than I remember, and one I don't remember at all. But the next level is, in the opinion of my younger self, by far the worst part of the game, and total bullshit. I think I managed to beat it once, ever. Luckily, level select cheats existed back then!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

And now time for the next episode, the most unfitting episode after Spring finally warms up over here.

Episode 4: The Lonesome Ghosts (1937)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

Mickey was a fantastic rear end in a top hat back in the day. Actually there are some VERY recent cartoons but I have no idea where you can find them, they basically harken back to the old '30s Mickey Mouse cartoons and it's him, Donald and Goofy just screwing around with the dumbest poo poo. And it is hilarious because Mickey is such a wise-rear end in it.

People know what I'm talking about right? Cuz I'm pretty sure I can't link any due to :filez:

They're not :filez:, they're just blocked in every country on the globe other than America. Here's their channel. Sorry, rest of the world, but I'd be remiss not to provide at least some of the thread with these gems!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Good Lord, that level looked like an absolute nightmare to play. It really shows how they threw a lot of different ideas in there with no actual effort spent on implementing them into, you know, a game so it's held together with tape and hope, and when it comes to sequences like the periodically spawning hat-throwers, it falls apart completely.
You are very obviously poo poo out of luck and must tank no matter how good you are at the game in many, many instances in this level, and it was either not tested or it was and the solution was "just put in more stars, it'll work". And it does work. Barely. Tape and hope. It's just never fun.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

The Lonesome Ghosts

I actually like this level, weirdly enough. It is hard, but I like the style, and the music.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Killrrhubarb posted:

The Lonesome Ghosts

I actually like this level, weirdly enough. It is hard, but I like the style, and the music.

small nit pick, next time you record set skype to dnd.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Major_JF posted:

small nit pick, next time you record set skype to dnd.

Thanks. I will next time. Which just so happens is right now :P

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Okay I will say it is really nice that they gave the ghosts a see-through sprite, that adds a lot to their detail. And wow you even found a secret I never knew about, drat! Kudos to you Rhubarb. And the bulllshit hat-throwing ghosts seem to be better programmed on the Playstation version, more better spaced apart in their spawning so that's good.

So just a heads-up, the next video will be up probably by next Sunday or so. Rhubarb that gives ya plenty of time to get working on that next level, which is my all-time favourite level of this game and I can't wait to see ALL of it for sure. :allears:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Alright so a few things to say in a new post. Firstly, new episode:

Episode 5: Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947)

Secondly, I've really been loving this LP, short as it is and I kinda want to do more LPs of old Disney games of which I amassed a decent collection of, such as Quackshot or World of Illusion and such.
I wanna LP those games but I feel I'm gonna sound too greedy if I just keep LPing a game after a game after a game. So, just to ask you guys on your honest opinion here, would anyone mind if, after I've covered this game, I try to do some other Disney games? I'm not gonna do ALL of them, and I'm certainly not gonna do any other "port comparison" LPs cuz Mickey Mania's the only one I really know that way.

I'm just more curious to see if I can't do more stuff like this because I really like doing them and people seem to not mind either. So long story short, would people actually like to see me do another Disney game, or should I chill a long while and not look like a greedy goon?

And lastly, we don't talk about the Bug's Life videogame...god that loving bird :gonk:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
If mateo can do all the HE games, I don't see any reason why you can't show off a bunch of Disney games. Hell, make it a megathread if you want to.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Quackshot or World of Illusion and such

Yes please, those are two of my favourite games for the Mega Drive. It'd be cool if someone could also take a look at the equivalent series for the Master System, like Land of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

If mateo can do all the HE games, I don't see any reason why you can't show off a bunch of Disney games. Hell, make it a megathread if you want to.
I actually would LOVE to make a Disney Games megathread but I got no idea how to really get about it...plus I feel like I don't got enough "cred" to do so, if that's how it goes? What do you guys think?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

I actually would LOVE to make a Disney Games megathread but I got no idea how to really get about it...plus I feel like I don't got enough "cred" to do so, if that's how it goes? What do you guys think?

Eh, I don't think you need 'cool points' to run a megathread. You just need to be willing to keep it going and up-to-date.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 15, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Combat Lobster posted:

Eh, I don't think you need 'cool points' to run a megathread. You just need to be willing to keep it going and up-to-date.
Well I admit, I was a little uncertain because you already had an awesome thing going with the Maui Mallard LP so...I definitely wanna do Quackshot and World of Illusion...hmmmm...okay.

IF I want to make a Disney Games megathread, should I make a whole new thread, or should I convert THIS thread into the megathread? And how should I go about sandcastling this?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

Alright so a few things to say in a new post. Firstly, new episode:

Episode 5: Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947)

Secondly, I've really been loving this LP, short as it is and I kinda want to do more LPs of old Disney games of which I amassed a decent collection of, such as Quackshot or World of Illusion and such.
I wanna LP those games but I feel I'm gonna sound too greedy if I just keep LPing a game after a game after a game. So, just to ask you guys on your honest opinion here, would anyone mind if, after I've covered this game, I try to do some other Disney games? I'm not gonna do ALL of them, and I'm certainly not gonna do any other "port comparison" LPs cuz Mickey Mania's the only one I really know that way.

I'm just more curious to see if I can't do more stuff like this because I really like doing them and people seem to not mind either. So long story short, would people actually like to see me do another Disney game, or should I chill a long while and not look like a greedy goon?

And lastly, we don't talk about the Bug's Life videogame...god that loving bird :gonk:

Go nuts, buddy. :justpost:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you do end up doing more Disney games, it'd be nice to see you cover the recent Castle of Illusion remake (preferably on PC with the framerate unlocked). That game dropped around the same time as the recent Ducktales remake and kinda got buried under the hype for that game, but it's a neat game with quite a few new elements alongside stuff from the Illusion games.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yapping Eevee posted:

lol

FinalGamer posted:

Well I admit, I was a little uncertain because you already had an awesome thing going with the Maui Mallard LP so...I definitely wanna do Quackshot and World of Illusion...hmmmm...okay.

IF I want to make a Disney Games megathread, should I make a whole new thread, or should I convert THIS thread into the megathread? And how should I go about sandcastling this?

You could just convert the thread, that is what I did with my HE thread to the Edutainment. If you did turn it into a megathread I have a couple of games I could do as well. (There was a point I want to ask you about doing a bonus video or something with Mickey's Ultimate Challenge on Gen/SNES)

FinalGamer posted:

I never had a problem there just with the last level trying to kill Hopper

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Do the thing, FinalGamer. Do it like Zen Pencils told you to be Ned Stark.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you do end up doing more Disney games, it'd be nice to see you cover the recent Castle of Illusion remake (preferably on PC with the framerate unlocked). That game dropped around the same time as the recent Ducktales remake and kinda got buried under the hype for that game, but it's a neat game with quite a few new elements alongside stuff from the Illusion games.
Was the Castle remake good?! I played the demo of it and it looked pretty neat, looked very faithful to the original and I been wondering about getting it or not. I would try to play it but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to record it on PC without some terrible slowdown (I got the DuckTales remake on Steam and my PC basically chugs it down to half-speed...so I bought it again on Xbox Live to enjoy it fully cuz holy gently caress I love that game).

mateo360 posted:

You could just convert the thread, that is what I did with my HE thread to the Edutainment. If you did turn it into a megathread I have a couple of games I could do as well. (There was a point I want to ask you about doing a bonus video or something with Mickey's Ultimate Challenge on Gen/SNES)
Well I guess if everyone else seems to be behind it then sure, why not! Okay then, after the Mickey Mania LP is finished I will convert this into a Disney Games megathread and people can come forwards with suggestions/ideas.

Quackshot and World of Illusion however I call dibs on, no getting out of that...let's just think on Mickey-centric games for now, if we start thinking movies and such that's gonna make one hell of a slippery slope.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Well, I'll be interested in seeing more Disney games, that's for sure :)

And, as the playstation side of Mickey and the Beanstalk:

Here it is

I do show everything off (including something unique to this version), as FinalGamer said I would in his video :).

Also, FG, if you need a co-commentator for anything at all in the future, I'll be very happy too :).

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 15, 2014

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
World/Castle of Illusion and Quackshot were my childhood, so I'll be looking forward to the megathread goodness. If I were at all good at video games I'd offer to join in, but I shall leave that to you fine folks, unless literally no one else wants to do World of Illusion because I love that game.

Good job on the LP, FinalGamer, though it'd be nice if you linked to rhubarb's videos in the first post.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Megathread sounds like a good idea. Hell, it might get me off my duff and back into the groove of talking over video games for the Internet. Wait, I do that already with you. Okay. Playing video games for the Internet and recording it and then talking over them.

Basically if I can wrangle this beast called Fraps together and make the videos look decent and not choke on the framerate, I'd do Ducktales Remastered in here because it was actually my GOTY 2013. Love it. Hell, maybe the original Ducktales too just so there's context for how Remastered is better.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

FreezingInferno posted:

Megathread sounds like a good idea. Hell, it might get me off my duff and back into the groove of talking over video games for the Internet. Wait, I do that already with you. Okay. Playing video games for the Internet and recording it and then talking over them.
I must say that doing just video is way easier than talking over video. These Mickey videos are 10 times easier to make than my LP videos, even though I do about the same amount of practice for each (In fact, I do about 5 practice runs before doing each level in mickey, and only 3 for my LP.)

But anyway, I agree with Final Gamer that the Playstation Version was hardest for him to play. So hard that he had to get me to do it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

World/Castle of Illusion and Quackshot were my childhood, so I'll be looking forward to the megathread goodness. If I were at all good at video games I'd offer to join in, but I shall leave that to you fine folks, unless literally no one else wants to do World of Illusion because I love that game.

Good job on the LP, FinalGamer, though it'd be nice if you linked to rhubarb's videos in the first post.
OH, thank you for reminding me I will do that right now. Glad everyone's on board for this though, and I'd love to have you on board in future Rhubarb, I kinda wanted to have you as a commentator in a vid at some point.

So happy to hear that ballet-style music from the Beanstalk level by the way :allears: I mean, god the PS1 version even adds a sweeping intro to it and everything I love it! This is my favourite part of the game purely for that song, just to hear it revived again in CD-quality as something COMPLETELY different and with beautiful grace to it...god.

That bonus was also way better and more disappointing at the same time than I expected it to be. But at least we got to see the ENTIRELY NEW SEGMENT that was added in the PS1 version for some reason...which is pretty awesome to have actually.

EDIT: \/ Yeah I forgot to mention how weirdly there's never any sight of Donald or Goofy despite the last three cartoons having them very clearly alongside Mickey, I don't know what the hell's up with that but it'd be great if he had been passing through like a panicky gently caress.

Donald is an AMAZING prick in earlier cartoons and once you rewatch them as an adult, he is just the most unadulterated rear end in a top hat you ever meet. I think his utmost "not-giving-a-gently caress" moment for me was a certain comment he made during the cartoon "Timber". Which was made in 1941.
Normally I wouldn't be linking cartoons in particular but nobody seems to mind and oh my god Donald what the gently caress man.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 15, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You didn't even mention the best part about The Band Concert - Donald being a complete jackass with his flute, which was a riot. Kind of a shame that didn't make an appearance in the bonus level - just getting Donald right the gently caress outta nowhere in a Mickey-oriented game would have been perfectly in tone with the whole thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FinalGamer posted:

Donald is an AMAZING prick in earlier cartoons and once you rewatch them as an adult, he is just the most unadulterated rear end in a top hat you ever meet. I think his utmost "not-giving-a-gently caress" moment for me was a certain comment he made during the cartoon "Timber". Which was made in 1941.
Normally I wouldn't be linking cartoons in particular but nobody seems to mind and oh my god Donald what the gently caress man.
Is it supposed to be understandable what he says there?! I guess it's different if you are accustomed to his English voice, but holy poo poo, are these even words?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Is it supposed to be understandable what he says there?! I guess it's different if you are accustomed to his English voice, but holy poo poo, are these even words?
Yes. Yes it is, in fact for all the old Donald cartoons, you are meant to try and understand what he says. Sometimes there'll be a word now and again that's just angrish and to most people that's easy to tell as a first-English speaker. But let's just accept he said something very bad and move on, I don't wanna accidentally start anything in a nice thread about mildly-decent Disney games, I just think that people needed to know how much of a colossal rear end Donald could be in terms of sensitivities. v:shobon:v

Besides if we get this megathread idea going we can always have more Donald games to compensate for that!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Simply Simon posted:

Even anglophones have trouble understanding what he says at the best of times, so don't feel too bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

I know what I'm contributing if this megathread happens!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Simply Simon posted:

It's definitely something you get used to over time.

As for what he said, let's just remember that this was '41, so in the USA, the term had not quite yet gotten the connotation it has today.

And honestly, Disney did some way crazier poo poo in the war years, but that's probably straying too far - although I will mention that the term "taxes... to sink the Axis" has been ingrained into my brain because for some loving reason, my old video tape of assembled cartoons had "The Spirit Of '43" on it. I felt the need to mention this because it still baffles to me to this day how I ended up with a tape that had "The Spirit Of '43" on it.

Anyway, looking forward to the megathread. I wonder if I could get in on this in some fashion - I've never done voiced stuff before, and I'm not even sure my equipment would be good enough for that (all I've got is a crappy headset), but if I can get it working, I'd definitely try giving guest commenting a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Simply Simon posted:

Let's just say there's a reason old Donald Duck cartoons aren't translated into Germanic languages.

• Locked thread