Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

JGBeagle posted:

Let's just say there's a reason old Donald Duck cartoons aren't translated into Germanic languages.
Some but not all, Clarence Nash the voice actor for Donald Duck actually did say that he had to "quack" in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Japanese. I dunno WHICH cartoons he had to do, but I think we can reasonably say anything from the 50s onwards when he was just an absolute suburban poo poo and nothing else.

TheMcD posted:

looking forward to the megathread. I wonder if I could get in on this in some fashion - I've never done voiced stuff before, and I'm not even sure my equipment would be good enough for that (all I've got is a crappy headset), but if I can get it working, I'd definitely try giving guest commenting a shot.
Wow everyone really wants this megathread eh?! With any luck the last video will be up around next week and things can get off to a roaring start! Now I can't wait to see what people wanna contribute for those games that are just too darn short for their own thread, know what I mean?
If you can get something working McD, there's always space if it's decent.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know what I'm contributing if this megathread happens!
...no

g-god please...no :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know what I'm contributing if this megathread happens!

I wouldn't mind co-commentating on that trainwreck if this megathread happens!

E: I'll have to get an actual headset, though, but that shouldn't be hard.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 16, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

And with that brand new thread title, we are on our way to more Disney games galore! Starting with the end of the beginning!

Episode 6: The Prince and the Pauper (1990)

The next game I shall be playing will be none other than Quackshot, so stay tuned for it folks! Feel free to make suggestions to run by me on what to add to this thread either here or by PMing me, I already know we got some people up for putting other games down on here. Have fun everyone!

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I love Quackshot, it does seem to have lifted quite a number of ideas from the NES Duck Tales games, but it's still extremely enjoyable and has some of the most vibrant visuals on the Genesis, which is super impressive for such an early game on a color palette-challenged system.

Also, the original Castle of Illusion is a must, it's definitely the best Mickey platformer in my book. I'm still kind of bitter about how the remake made the controls feel a lot less tight, the Duck Tales remake may be talky to the point of ridiculousness, but at least it pretty much plays like the original.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FinalGamer posted:

Some but not all, Clarence Nash the voice actor for Donald Duck actually did say that he had to "quack" in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Japanese. I dunno WHICH cartoons he had to do, but I think we can reasonably say anything from the 50s onwards when he was just an absolute suburban poo poo and nothing else.

That's what I was talking about. :ssh: Same thing with pre-WWII Mickey; he used to be a womanizer and an animal abuser. Donald just used to be very "patriotic".

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

fixelbrumpf posted:

I love Quackshot, it does seem to have lifted quite a number of ideas from the NES Duck Tales games, but it's still extremely enjoyable and has some of the most vibrant visuals on the Genesis, which is super impressive for such an early game on a color palette-challenged system.

Also, the original Castle of Illusion is a must, it's definitely the best Mickey platformer in my book. I'm still kind of bitter about how the remake made the controls feel a lot less tight, the Duck Tales remake may be talky to the point of ridiculousness, but at least it pretty much plays like the original.
I'm not gonna be doing Castle of Illusion since 1. I don't wanna be greedy and 2. I'm not great at it at all. World of Illusion however I would LOVE to do, but only if I can have someone else able to partner it up with me. Quackshot definitely does feel quite Ducktales-ish in game design what with exploring the world and being set in essentially the same universe. Either way I can't wait to get it going.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FinalGamer posted:

I'm not gonna be doing Castle of Illusion since 1. I don't wanna be greedy and 2. I'm not great at it at all. World of Illusion however I would LOVE to do, but only if I can have someone else able to partner it up with me. Quackshot definitely does feel quite Ducktales-ish in game design what with exploring the world and being set in essentially the same universe. Either way I can't wait to get it going.

You made me flashback to the improromptu mantle battles back in the days. Thank god there wasn't a time limit on stages, because those were really fun.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
The Prince and the Pauper For the playstation. Some cuts in the video because you guys didn't want to see me do the bosses over again.

As for Disney games I might start playing... Atlantis maybe :)

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 19, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Omobono posted:

You made me flashback to the improromptu mantle battles back in the days. Thank god there wasn't a time limit on stages, because those were really fun.
Rest assured, I now have someone very special to help me...imagine the world of illusion for the future.

And thanks again Killrrhubarb, the OP is now updated with all your vids and mine, and it will be for future vids. Can't wait to see what everyone brings to the table!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Since this is now a Disney Megathread and we are stopping at Kingdom Hearts does that mean games like Epic Mickey are off the table? I don't own that game but since people are planning to show off the remastered Ducktales and Castle of Illusion game I'm asking more for clarification than anything.

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master
No Castle of Illusion? For shame, I thought you were some sort of Ultimate Gamer or something!

Now I'll have to dig out my copy and play through it instead, since I can't watch you do it. *frown*

In all seriousness, to the dude complaining about the controls of the remake - you are absolutely right. I did enjoy it still, but the controls are really loose sometimes and playing the original and then the remake really makes you appreciate the older version even more.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Aces High posted:

Since this is now a Disney Megathread and we are stopping at Kingdom Hearts does that mean games like Epic Mickey are off the table? I don't own that game but since people are planning to show off the remastered Ducktales and Castle of Illusion game I'm asking more for clarification than anything.
OH, drat you're right I completely didn't think that one over...okay uh new rule to re-edit, if a game takes like 8 hours to complete, it's off the table because those games are big enough to BE their own thread. Thanks for pointing that out, I almost looked a fool there! And yes, that means Epic Mickey would be off as well since that's also quite a long game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

What I've thought about maybe doing for this thread is take a look at Mickey's Speedway USA (both N64 and GBC version) and Mickey's Racing Adventure. However, since they're racing games, I wouldn't do a proper LP of them, but rather a one-shot, what I personally call "Let's Take A Short Look At", which in the former case would go into showing off the interesting bits and mainly showcasing how it's basically an unapologetic Mario Kart 64 rip, and in the latter case would go into showing what this game does different compared to other racing games, as it has a surprising amount of twists thrown in. I really like the games, Mickey's Racing Adventure in particular, but LPing them proper would get boring rather fast.

Would that be OK? I mean, Mickey's Racing Adventure takes more than 8 hours to complete (mostly because of the searching for coins and nuts and grinding for money), but the abridged version would be quite short (ballparking it at 30 minutes tops).

Before I even think about starting to work on this, I'd prefer to get this cleared up first, just in case.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ahhhh if you can make it interesting and you really wanna do it sure! An abridged short look at something would be pretty alright to see.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
And now for the first addition to this being a Megathread

Mickey's Ultimate Challenge

Video with FinalGamer

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 20, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

God drat, that's a slider puzzle alright. Mickey's Racing Challenge has those too, but they're only 5x5 and show you the shuffling, which is a lot easier to deal with. This is just dickish.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I just discovered this thread today and shotgunned through the whole thing. A Disney megathread is a great idea. I had only one Disney game growing up, and it was one of the more obscure ones. I'll go back and see what how I do at it now all grown up, but if I still suck I might request someone else play it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
By the way, I am also doing Emperor's New Groove for PS1 so that should come... eventually.

mostly looking for a co-commentator

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I hope the thread likes puppets, because I'm gonna LP something with puppets.

Also... I don't mean to be a nasty shill, but if you're looking for more Disney goodness and you haven't seen it yet; I recently finished LPing a Disney game here.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
So which poor soul is going to do Mickey Mousecapade? I must drink your sorrow.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Video with FinalGamer
That's a great box cover but man this loving game was both fun to watch and a chore to experience. Thanks for having me on again Mateo :)

...I still don't know who the gently caress that guy at the end LOOKS like, dammit!

Combat Lobster posted:

Also... I don't mean to be a nasty shill, but if you're looking for more Disney goodness and you haven't seen it yet; I recently finished LPing a Disney game here.
Shill all ya want! I was worried about the megathread because of this but hey if you're cool with it, I am too! Also oh god I'm scared, what the hell is gonna involve puppets in this thread :stonk:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 20, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, the average human short term memory limit is 5-9 most people can do 7.
The goofy challenge is using THE CLASSIC mastermind rules for the hints. Those were the rules I grew up with.
Gold is pliable but not because it melts... The purer the gold the more pliable it is.
You were right he isn't the same giant.
Just be glad the the sliding puzzle doesn't generate in an unwinnable state. The unwinnable state can be generated by lifting one piece and swapping it with another piece.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FinalGamer posted:

Also oh god I'm scared, what the hell is gonna involve puppets in this thread :stonk:

The Pinocchio SNES game, for one. I remember playing that when I was younger, it was pretty good. Tried very much to keep gameplay fresh with different gimmicks with different levels, and somewhat succeeded.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FinalGamer posted:

That's a great box cover but man this loving game was both fun to watch and a chore to experience. Thanks for having me on again Mateo :)

Glad you were willing to do it. Despite all the poo poo I give it I still love this game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Combat Lobster posted:

If we're shilling LPs the Hercules game was done here last summer and it was a pretty good representation of everything the game had to offer :v:

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Video with FinalGamer
I don't think you mentioned what happens when you say no to the giant's question. It's the most magical part of the game!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
A 6x6 slider puzzle? :stonk: I think I just glimpsed my own personal hell.

The game looks pretty nifty if you don't play it on challenging.

Positronic Spleen posted:

I don't think you mentioned what happens when you say no to the giant's question. It's the most magical part of the game!

If you tell me that the puzzle resets, I'm going to have to kick some puppies.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just out of curiosity, how mainstream Disney does a game have to be to qualify for this thread? And how much experience do we actually need with the game to qualify as "LPing" it? Because I played the old Rescue Rangers and Tailspin games way back when they first came out, and those are Disney. And I apparently hate myself.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, how mainstream Disney does a game have to be to qualify for this thread? And how much experience do we actually need with the game to qualify as "LPing" it? Because I played the old Rescue Rangers and Tailspin games way back when they first came out, and those are Disney. And I apparently hate myself.
Oh they don't have to be mainstream, they just have to be Disney, I mean Mickey's Ultimate Challenge is obscure as gently caress so go right ahead with Tailspin and whatnot. Also I Loved the Chip 'n' Dale NES game, that was one of the best games I ever played and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert: so go right ahead if you wanna try those.

If anyone here's not sure about their LP being up to snuff, you always got the sandcastle to try it out even if it's for the megathread, so don't be shy!

Positronic Spleen posted:

Mateo, we need to know this now.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
If I can get some kind of recording software to work on my ancient wreck of a laptop I might give a solo run of World of Illusion a try, since as I recall there were actually a few differences depending on which character you played. But then again I've never even attempted an LP before so maybe I'll just lurk instead! Either way this is my new favourite thread. Old Disney games are such a weird mix of amazing and incomprehensible, it's so great.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Oh they don't have to be mainstream, they just have to be Disney, I mean Mickey's Ultimate Challenge is obscure as gently caress so go right ahead with Tailspin and whatnot. Also I Loved the Chip 'n' Dale NES game, that was one of the best games I ever played and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert: so go right ahead if you wanna try those.

I meant mainstream Disney as in "Relating to one of their major characters or movies". They don't seem to give much love to their older animated TV series. Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers... do they even show those on Disney any more?

I will admit I do enjoy Gravity Falls though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Randalor posted:

I meant mainstream Disney as in "Relating to one of their major characters or movies". They don't seem to give much love to their older animated TV series. Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers... do they even show those on Disney any more?

You will find that this is usually what happens to shows that are two decades old no matter who owns them.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If anyone's gonna do the Magical Quest games, I'd love to guest.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh, I just had a thought! I played the poo poo out of the Lion King games (both SNES and Genesis) when I was a young'un. I'd love to give that a shot!

I'd probably have to do both versions because I recall there were subtle differences between the two, in a Mickey Mania kind of way.

Oh yeah. Put me down for The Lion King (Genesis and SNES). Let's do this.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'd be interested to see someone do Magical Tetris Challenge, and would be more than happy to guest for that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone remember this piece of poo poo? I sure do, still own it. I never beat it but I'm sure there's some bravepoor soul out there who did

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Aces High posted:

Anyone remember this piece of poo poo? I sure do, still own it. I never beat it but I'm sure there's some bravepoor soul out there who did

I sure do! It was one of my first video games, along with Castle of Illusion and Quackshot. I never beat it either (any of these actually), so I'm hoping somebody can manage to do so, but I'd be astonished to learn anybody liked it enough to get good.

Hypotenewt
Oct 31, 2011
This is the thread I've been waiting for and never knew it.

Mickey Mania was weird to watch because I played that as a kid and none of the levels rang any bells for me apart from Lonesome Ghosts, which I never beat, nice to see the rest of the game! And hell yes Quackshot and World of Illusion coming up, awesome games. I have a mad love for these old Disney Games and have a few sitting in a box.

Doing some testing to get back in the swing of the Genesis Castle of Illusion if nobody else takes it, if they do I might crack out Aladdin instead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Hypotenewt posted:

Doing some testing to get back in the swing of the Genesis Castle of Illusion if nobody else takes it, if they do I might crack out Aladdin instead.

This thread will probably bring out the ire in everyone about which Aladdin was the best :v: the Genesis one IS the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Aces High posted:

This thread will probably bring out the ire in everyone about which Aladdin was the best :v: the Genesis one IS the best one

Shinji Mikami answered this question quite recently, so the argument is settled.

• Locked thread