Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lets Play Crusader Kings II: The Republic of Amalfi Legislature Game

ANOTHER Paradox LP?

Yep, since history is always fluid in these games, no two experiences are exactly alike!

Premise

This game will see us take control of the the Republic of Amalfi, a small Republic that was formed as a breakaway of the Byzantine Empire in southern Italy. Sadly its star rose and fell quickly. Out-competed by the northern merchant republics of Italy, Amalfi fell into decline, before being sacked by Pisa in 1073. That same year Norman invaders conquered the republic, ending it's independence. Lets see if we can do better.

Wait. . .Legislature LP?

Yes, though with a bit of a twist, a "Senate" will be called, which can create and vote on things, but only when our character's family is in charge of the Republic, for some reason, all the other Patrician families are wary about letting a collection of various miscreants people in the Republic make decisions rather than their families. In addition, some proposals from the reigning Protarchon (or Doge if we somehow end up Italian) will be brought before the senate as well. These will be largely based on the trait of character in charge of the Republic, so a bloodthirsty warrior Protarchon might ask for more war proposals than the nice, lets build stuff Protarchon.

A spread sheet will be posted where all the votes will be submitted to. Actual politicking and such will be in thread.

Any Mods?

I'll be playing with the Historical Immersion Project mod, specifically the SWMH Map Pack, ARKOpack for more images, NBRT+ for pretty graphics, and VIET Traits and Events for more fun.

So. . .What family will be playing as?

We'll be playing as the noble and more serene family, the Goonikos, a group descended from the former spymaster of another patrician family who survived a freak manure explosion that claimed the lives of his patrons. These are their stories, these are their struggles. . .

Table of Contents

Prologue: January 1st, 867- January 1st 868
Legislative Announcement 1
Update 2: January 1st 868- January st 878: The One with the Shoehorned MLP Joke
Legislative Update 2
Update 3: An Old Friend, January 1st 878- July 1st 881
Update 4: Therefore by the Grace of God, July 1st 881 to July 24th 894
Legislative Announcement 2
Update 5: Judus Baby! June 28th 894-904
Update 6: Fall of Heaven
Update 7: Delusions of Grandeur
Update 8: Screw Iceland
Update 9: A Time of War and Peace
Update 10: Consolidation

Legislative Rules

Legislative Law posted:

As this August Body seems to be imperiled, the Partito Ombreggiato advances the following legislative amendment, for maximum chaos:
  • 1. The legislature shall convene once every 10 every years to vote on the actions taken by His Tradeship, the Doge.
  • 2. The legislature shall be composed of a number of parties; a party may be created at any time as long as the legislature is not currently in session.
  • 3. The party with the most members shall hereafter referred to as the Majority Party, the party with the least members as the Minority Party, and all others as Intermediate Parties. The leader of the Majority Party may, once per legislative session, use a veto to unilaterally revise one clause of a currently slated motion or remove a motion submitted by the Minority Party from the slate. The leaders of the Intermediate Parties, should a majority of them agree, may likewise revise one clause of a currently slated motion submitted by either the Majority or Minority Parties.
  • 4. A motion may be proposed by any member of the legislature, and requires support from 25% of the legislature to be slated, or the support of 75% of the Party Leaders. A motion may be amended if 1/3rd of the legislature so wishes, so long as the amendment does not reverse or otherwise countermand the general thrust of the motion itself. Any given motion may be so amended no more than three (3) times per legislative session.
  • 5. After 24 hours, any motions which have gathered the requisite support shall be considered slated. After a further 24 hours of debate, discussion and voting, the winning motion shall be the one that receives the highest percentage of legislative support. Should there be a tie, both motions shall be implemented so long as they do not contradict one another, at the discretion of our August Doge, Jimmy4400nav.
  • 6. These bylaws may be amended once per century, in a special legislative session which shall propose and vote on three motions to guide Amalfi's overall, non-specific, goals for the coming one hundred years in addition to the usual 10-year motion.
  • 7. Parties will be further divided into two groups, FULL parties and SPECIAL INTERESTS. Full parties will be subject to all the rules and privileges outlined above, and will require a membership of at a bare minimum THREE PEOPLE to be a full party. Special interests are "parties" that only have ONE OR TWO people, and will instead be grouped into the "party" COMMITTEE OF REPRESENTATIVES. The COR cannot be either the sole majority party or the sole minority party.
  • 8. In the event of a tie for the position of minority and or majority party, the preference will be given to the senior party.
  • 9. Parties may come together and form coalitions to become the majority government. There is no limit to the number of parties in the coalition. COR may be apart of a coalition.
  • 10. Leadership of COR for a legislative position will go to the first two Party Leaders of COR who claim one of the positions.
  • 11. For the purposes of legislature,in the event one COR leader does not post during the session, then the opinions and votes of the other leader will become the position of COR for that session. (So basically since AJ Impy was indicating COROR support for the Down Under Act this session, I'm giving it slated status even though technically Sarus never okay-ed it with technical Cor support
  • In the event COR is the only viable opposition, there will be no minority party for that session. Viable opposition meaning other parties that achieved full party status.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
FUN STUFF!

A Rap Battle Between Party Leaders AJ_Impy and TravelLog.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 10, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
The following records are the compilation of several historical artifacts and documents that have been recovered from the early years of the Republic of Amalfi. They’re the various surviving notes, diaries, maps and other charts that are believed to have belonged to Meletios, the 2nd Protarchon of Amalfi.

The notes have been assembled in what is believed to have been the chronological order of their authorship, though given the rather strange tone of the notes, and the historical evidence of the Protarchon's mental instability, it may be impossible to fully assemble this chronicle in perfect historical order.

Anno Domini 867, the world stand poised to be on the precipice of change. Pagan hordes to the North threaten the lands of Christendom. Mohammedans invade Iberia, while nomads pour in from the east, where the Roman Empire stands as a bulwark against the heretical swarm. The Kingdom of Charlemagne lays split, with children quibbling over the remains of the great shattered realm.

In the Mediterranean, one of those successor kingdoms lay here, Lombardy. Here too lies the seat of the Bishop of Rome, as well as the merchant lords of Venice, Genoa, and Pisa. The Roman Empire still holds a bit of the South, while the Muslims creep in through the sea. In between lie a petty collection of lordlings, merchants, bishops and others, all vying for survival and influence between the two giants.

Here, in the middle of this potential conflagration, lies the humble Republic of Amalfi.

Leading this land is I, Meletios, first of my name of the house Goonikos. 2nd Protarchon (Doge as the Italians call it in their Latinized tongue) of this republic. I took upon myself the burden of rule after my former patron and first Protarchon Marinos Polkarios along with his entire family and network of clients perished in a terrible manure explosion which consumed his manor. I fortunately was away at the time, and thus it fell to me to pick up the pieces.

The other patricians were wary, they called my an upstart, yet my talent for spycraft kept Amalfi alive amid the other powers and so reluctantly, as sole survivor, I was granted the assets and title of my former patron. With that I assumed control. And so no. . .

Sadly the rest of the document, and the papers bridging the gap in time from the 830's, 40's 50's and early 60's appear to have been burned. Historical records are sparse on the subject.

What is known is that Meletios kept the peace for several years and ensured Amalfi independence. In the lull, he set out on pilgrimage to Antioch. He reportedly was shipwrecked and washed ashore on the isle of Crete. He spent a month in the ruins of old Knossos before being rescued and returned to Amalfi. His time there though changed him. Intrigued by the old images and tales of the ancient Republic of Crete, the Protarchon upon his return, decided to implement some small scale representation among the patricians and other influential members of the Republic in a newly formed Assembly, which could create and pass legislation for the betterment of the land.

Papers indicate that this Assembly was something of a nightmarish quagmire for the Republic, as groups of Patricians, Priests, Bishops, Merchants, Guildsmen, Barons, Knights, Mercenaries and other split into factions and spent days and weeks at a time in grid lock and pointless debate.

Attempting to keep order among this rabble took its toll on the Protarchon's already delicate sanity. . .

Haha! That'll show you bastards, can't blackmail me when everything's on fire! Libraries, you just can't trust em! From now on I'm paying scribes to just follow me and annotate stuff. Speaking of which, you getting all this Tankios? Good. These bastards are relentless. They're all just waiting. . .

The Konstantinos! A bunch of old nobles who threw off their crowns and put on hats when they saw the way the wind was blowing! I see them even now, plotting, conniving, just waiting for the chance to sneak back in and BAM! No more republic, just another county, or worse, a DUCHY! Oh sure Konstantinos tells me "Meletios! We're naturally allied, being the only two Greek and Orthodox families here. Meletios, we have to be careful ,we're surrounded by followers of Bishop of Rome! OW! Melitios, quit hitting me! What’s this crazy talk about taking Macedonia Meletios? Oh don’t I know, they all secretly lap at the feet of the Emperor of Rome! Konstantinos, CONSTANTINOPLE! Bwhaha, it was almost too easy!

The Mauro! They claim to be loyal soldiers of the Republic, good little Militarists toting the line for the protection of the realm. I almost believe them. But tell me, why are all of the Maruo, save Sico, guests of the Count of Gaera?!? I asked Sico, he has the gall to say "Oh my son’s a theological advisor, he was taught by monks. My nephew and daughter like to visit him; the good weather is beneficial for their health. Why do you keep poking me with that stick?" Deflect the question all you want Sico, I know you've already sold out this Republic for your 20 pieces of silver!

The Musco. Oh they're sneaky, Musco and his three little stooges. I don't know what he's plotting, but since I never hear anything about him, it must be sinister. He act's so coy, seeing me and going "Oh good morning Protarchon! How goes the assembly Protarchon? I wanted to pass along my thanks to your wife Protarchon, that meal last night was lovely, thank you for inviting us." He thinks he's so cleaver, but his son is my marshal, right next to my guards! Once I sniff him and his little plot out, BAM it's right to the castration chamber for him and his line!

URSO! drat YOU LEON YOU POPULIST RABBLE-ROASER, ALWAYS USING YOU'RE GILDED TOUNGE TO SPREAD LIES. I'VE HEARD YOUR LITTLE SPEECHES, ABOUT HOW: "We espouse the virtues of the Republic." OR "We open this Assembly meeting with the following items." OR YOUR WORSE TREASON "Please excuse our Protarchon ambassador, he has his off days". IF YOUR STOOGES IN THE SENATE DIDN'T KEEP YOU IN POWER I'D HAVE EXILED YOU MY SELF!

DON'T PRETEND I DON'T SEE YOU BUTTERING UP THE BARON. TRYING TO GET HIM TO SUPPORT YOU AND THE UNWASHED MASSES!!! WELL SCREW THAT BASTARD, ITS NOT MY FAULT I HAD TO BEHEAD HIS FAVORITE HUNTING DOG, THAT rear end in a top hat WAS A SPY FOR THE SELEUCID!

AND DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT YOU'RE PEONS MURDERED MY SON! IS NOTHING SACRED TO YOU SODOMITES OF HONOR?!? WHERE DID YOU GET THIS MYSTERY POISON OF INFLUENZA?!?

August 15th, the Kingdom of Lombardy has seized land from the Mohammedan invaders near our Republic. While the King is CLAIMING he's liberating the oppressed Christian peoples of the land, I suspect it's a ploy by the Sons of Zeus to claim a plot of land for themselves. This is, of course, because they invoked a blessing of Hermes to get the king more gold. How else do you explain the large amount of money the king got from the Jewish money lenders?!?

ARGH I can't sleep at night. These accursed Triumphs keep me awake; must we have these celebrations at all hours of the day? What do you mean nothings there Tankios? Can't you see the parade below this balcony? No? drat Civics must be tainting the water again with their blindness drugs.

. . .And furthermore in accordance with the latest piece of legislation, we'll need to maintain galley levels at 90% peace time and then. . .

Tankios did I just drop my spoon? I did. . . I'm getting old aren't I? Everything. . . Everything is a little less hazy, how long has it been since last time? Six months? What did I miss? My sons passing?!? Was. . .Was I at his funeral? No, I was fortifying my mansion against the Carthaginians? I see. . .

I'd. . .I’d like a minute alone please Tankios. *Sniff*

MUWHAHAHA, I've done it, I've finished Amalfi's first great trade post. Sure the other bastards have shamelessly copied me, but who cares, with this, my families wealth will be secure! Oh this grand opening ceremony today will be. . . Grand!

The following is an excerpt from the journal of one Tankios of Sienna, the scribe who followed Meletios in the last years of his life.

The ceremony went off to a fairly normal start. The Protarchon arrived at the base of the wharf with a large audience and gave a fairly good speech about the future of Amalfi (why he only referred to the senate as "Mercantilist and Civic bastards!" only once or twice). But then just as the speech finished, he saw a group of fishermen at the far end and screeched about populist conspiracies and coups.

Ascending up a cargo crane, he was startled by the presence of the operator (reportedly screaming Helladid! You won't take me you tyrannical shepherd of rats!"). It was then Meletios swan dove off the crane and fell five stories to his death onto the wharf.

Sico of House Maruo was unanimously sworn in as the new Protarchon (though he’s apparently taken the Italian title of Doge). He immediately disbanded the Assembly and returned Amalfi to its more traditional (and dare I say stable) form of Feudal Republicanism, with the five families being the main decision makers.

I have retained my tenure with the Goonikos family for another year before I return home.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 10, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A tiny republic, a mad goon in charge, a senate. I hereby form the Imperialist party, stated goal the conquest of all we survey through armies funded by ludicrous trade income. As I currently form 100% of the senate, I hereby... what do you mean, disbanded until we get a Goonikos back?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING! YOU'LL REGRET THIS.

Oh, such madness the future will bring.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

What sort of legislative system are we dealing with here?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

WilliamAnderson posted:

What sort of legislative system are we dealing with here?

I'll be linking a spread sheet where goons can creates proposals and vote on them, in addition to having the party lists. Debate and such will happen in thread.

On that note, a crash wiped out about the first 40 years of the Republic, so I had to start from scratch, while it sucks having to rewrite stuff, it does mean we'll likely be getting into voting and such a lot sooner than planned.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
If anyone can edit the spreadsheet, wouldn't that make it possible for someone to just delete all the votes and proposals? I know everyone tries to make votecounting easier in these LPs, but handcounting from posts is still used for a reason.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'll be linking a spread sheet where goons can creates proposals and vote on them, in addition to having the party lists. Debate and such will happen in thread.

On that note, a crash wiped out about the first 40 years of the Republic, so I had to start from scratch, while it sucks having to rewrite stuff, it does mean we'll likely be getting into voting and such a lot sooner than planned.

What about autosaves?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Flesnolk posted:

What about autosaves?

I was running another game on the side and the autosaves I did have were from that session (while Sterling of House Archer has been doing a magnificent job in forging an empire in a booze filled rampage across Europe they weren't my Amalfi saves).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
868 World Update

. . .And with the passing of Meletios of House Goonikos, Amalfi's governance fell to the much more sensible rule of House Mauro an. . .

BOO!

AH!

Surprise mother fornicator!

My. . .My lord?!? But how?

I didn't jump you fool, I just chucked a handsomely dressed pig's carcass off the crane and paid that operator to tell that tale! I've been hiding in a barrel of cow offal this whole time!!!

But. . .But why?

I had to see how my "paid scribe" was writing about me. I have to say I’m very disappointed. GUARDS! Take him away and unman him!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo

Ah Glitterhoof, what would I do without you? Thanks for telling me about that sneaky traitor of a scribe!

What's that? The Ecclesiarch likes it up the bum? Well, we'll have to make some posters to paste around town, won't we boy? Anyways, I've gotta go meet the peanut gallery. TO THE ABANDONED FISH WAREHOUSE, GLITTERHOOF AWAY!!!

LATER, AT THE ABANDONED FISH WAREHOUSE

Ah, hello! I bet you're all wondering why I woke you all up at three in the morning and brought you to this old fish warehouse? No this isn't to help me find my favorite mead cup like last time. No this is something far less important!

You see, it turns out the last Assembly (or Senate as I know some of you call it), were all a bunch of Secret Danes! Obviously I couldn't let them steer this country with their treason, so I locked the door of the last Assembly Hall and burned it down! Turns out they were all still inside, so now I've got a butt load of apology letters to write!

While I do that though, its now up to all of you to fill the void that last Assembly left. I'll give you a rundown of what’s going on then I'll let you get to it.

Diplomacy

Okay, so I'm assuming you're mostly familiar with the big players of the world, so here's our more immediate neighbors:

Next to the Papists is the County of Gaeta. House Mauro currently has most of its members there advising plotting treason with the count. It's not the strongest or wealthiest province near us, but it's got access to the sea, which is nice.

Aquino is next. It's a bit stronger militarily than Gaeta, but it doesn't have access to the sea, so we really can't open any lucrative trade there.

Below these two is the "Count" of Capua. He's really Count in name only, given that he already owns most of what is Capua's de jure Duchy. Brain twister I know.

Neapolis is ruled by an actual Duke (or Doux as he spells it). They're the only Non-Roman Orthodox province in this area, so that's always a plus especially given that he's our neighbor. The downside is that since he's a Doux, that likely means he's a backstabbing weasel.

Now this guy! We've got to be careful of Salerno. Apparently Amalfi was a part of this Duchy briefly years and years ago and the duke still has this "ancient" claim to our land. Of course we could always just say that he belongs to US, but we've gotta stay weary . . .for now!

The Romans and the Muslims round out the rest of this list. The Romans rule the southern portions of this peninsula, while the Muslims rule the island.

And here is the rest of Rome and the area's nearby. It looks like some pagans from the East took a big bite out of Bulgaria!

Here's mainland Europe, it's pretty much the same from last year, the various Kingdoms of Charlemagne are still kicking and trying to beat the crap out of each other!

Iberia is much the same, Asturias and Navarra stand-alone against the vast swarm of the Muslims.

Speaking of Muslims, to our direct South are these two tribes: El Aghlab and Rustam. El Aghlab holds the rich provinces of Tunisia. Rustam is poor. I think you can tell which one I favor.

Further East lies Egypt and the Levant area. Again mostly under Muslim control. Alexandria is a very rich province and seat of a holy city for a lot of faiths. The downside is its far, so we likely won’t be erecting any trade posts there anytime soon.

Finally here is the Patriarch, as far as I can tell, he's once of the few leaders who likes me. He seems alright!

Also Glitterhoof wanted me to remind you that if we decide to try and pursue alliances with the feudal lords by marrying off my crouch fruit children, then we'll likely have to pay a large dowry since those damned blue bloods look down on us burghers!

Military

[img]http://lpix.org/1614994/Military.jpg[img] http://lpix.org/1614983/Fleets.jpg[/img]

Here is the present state of our military. As you can see, the other noble houses and our vassals won’t contribute any soldiers because of their incredibly low opinion of their insane liege they’re traitorous scum! Though because of our coffers we could afford to hire the use of a mercenary force in a pinch.

We can however also try and raise a standing force for the Republic to use. We're limited by how much we can supply and pay in wages, so mostly at this early stage its more of the lowest bidder kind of arraignment. Though I'm told once we build up or infrastructure more we can field more units, or units of higher quality.

Assets and Economy

Here is a brief shorthand of our assets and our current income. Right now we're making 5.1 gold pieces a month, a bit small, but it keeps us healthy. While the Goonikos family is in charge of the Republic, all of our assets are at the disposal of the Assembly so they may use it to better our realm.

One thing we could upgrade is of course my family's estate:

Doing this, will allow us to open more room in the estate and possibly allow more upgrades to be built. The downside? Well nothing really for my family, but if for some reason the Goonikos lose power (and why we would do that I don't know, unless TREASON is involved), then our estate will not be at the disposal of the Republic. You got that, if you wanna use my stuff, my family better be in charge!

We can also build a private art collection, but since paintings are always trying to steal my soul, I'm afraid I'll be disallowing art collections in this house! Now statues, those are where its at!

We can also upgrade the city, if you're feeling civic like that. Upside is it helps the Republic, downside is if my family LOOSES its power (and why would you all let that happen?) then we won't have access to these. In addition, apparently we need to steal more secrets from the Byzantines conduct more research before we can build more things in the city, so we're more limited here.

Also as you can see, because of my family's trade port, we starting to put a claim into this area of sea. From what the eggheads in economics tell me, if we can create more control zones over areas of sea, we'll make more money. Economics! How about that? We can also upgrade my family's trade port to make more money if you want.

Finally, we can also take out some loans from the resident Jewish moneylenders in the city, we'll get money, but the interest rates will be brutal.

Housekeeping!

Here's our Council, right now they all dislike me, I think they're jealous of all the awesome voices I hear in my head. Also our Ecclesiarch is a Papist instead of a follower of the Patriarch, but for some reason I can't replace him.

Here are all the vultures circling around, wanting a piece of our most excellent Republic. Sadly since my son is only two, it'll be about 14 years until the Goonikos can field a candidate. So I've gotta stay alive if you all want a job!

Here are some celebrations and such you can authorize if you want. Most give my family more prestige so we look better in the elections!

Here are the laws of Amalfi. Right now we're taxing the hell out of burghers (though this is more theoretical since the only city we rule is our own), making the feudal vassals of ours (currently a small baron who has a dinky castle) contribute mainly soldiers, and making a healthy mix for our church vassals. Thing is, current laws make their contributions very small. You could change that if you wanted.

Well that's about it, I'll give you all about 24 HOURS! to start organizing yourselves and get a rough plan of action approved. Actual legislation will happen tomorrow once you've all been organized.

NOW RIDE GLITTERHOOF! TAKE ME TO THE REALM OF SUNSHINE AND WONDER!!!!!!!

Voting is now up, Here are the senatorial rules:

1. The Assembly (or Senate however you'd like to call it) will convene once every ten years to lay our a course of action for the Republic.

2. The Assembly will only hold power when a Goonikos is in charge. If the Goonikos ever lose control of the Republic, the Assembly will have no voting power or authority until family rule is re-established.

3. To vote on a proposal or to submit a proposal for voting, one must be a member of a party

4. In order to declare yourself for any of the parties, simply make a post stating I wish to join a party or create a new one. If you already belong to a party, you may switch allegiances by likewise stating I change my party. You may NOT change parties if the Assembly is currently in the middle of a vote, referendum or emergency session.

5. Proposals can be submitted on a person by person basis, but only one proposal will untimely be accepted.

6. Proposals can be as specific or as abstract as they want to be. Abstract proposals like (get more land) will be done to the best of my ability and based on character traits and actions.

7. Once a final proposal has been submitted, voting will be a simple majority vote among registered Assemblymen.

8. The Assembly may alter their own election laws if they so desire. However, should the Goonikos loose power, then Assembly rules will reset to this current default.

:siren:Voting Registration is now Open for Assembly Session 1. you have 24 hours to register!:siren:

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 3, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Might as well get in on the ground floor: I hereby wish to start a new party - the Mercantilist Faction :10bux:.

The ideology for this faction is simple:

1) We mainly want more money, because money is power.
2) The means to gain this money will be primarily administrated by the Goonikos family.
3) The other Patricians of the Republic are to be weakened at every opportunity.
4) Where we trade, we eventually conquer.

I'm correct in assuming we're only registering and not yet proposing policies, right?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'll found the Partito Cattolico (or Catholic Faction, if you want to standardise things) - Which seeks to align our great republic with the powers of Catholicism which surround us, and conquer any and all heretics and heathens within our sphere of influence in order to save their souls for Christ. Our aims are as follows.

1) Maintain excellent relations with the Papacy at all times.
2) Ensure that the Court Chaplain of our republic is a Catholic.
3) Make every effort to convert the remaining two heretic families of our republic, the Goonikos and Konstantinos.
4) Immediately set our chancellor to work fabricating claims on the orthodox duchy of Naples so that we can claim their land.
5) Spend our riches on increasing our levies for the purpose of Holy War, as well as accruing savings for mercenaries.
6) Joining any crusade which the Pope calls.

In this part of the world, aligning ourselves fully with the Bishop of Rome and fellow Catholics is not only a spiritual concern, but a practical one. We cannot be isolated by matters of faith, I urge all those in Amalfi to take up the true cross and join the Partito Cattolico, for a virtuous and prosperous republic blessed by God.

(I probably won't have anywhere near as much time to post in this thread as I have in previous legislative LPs, which I'm sure you'll all be devastated to hear)

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 3, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Imperialist Faction rises from the ashes of the previous assembly hall!

1. Trade posts as far as the eye can see. Money is power.
2. Are those Cataphracts? Buy them. All of them. As many as we can afford. Maintain the strongest possible retinue.
3. If we are not at war, begin preparing for the next one. Claim land through trade posts, through diplomacy, through anything. We grow through strife.
4. We must secure our position and become strong, that no other nation in the world may look down upon us. Our republic shall cover Europa. Our goal is to rule all.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TheMcD posted:

I'm correct in assuming we're only registering and not yet proposing policies, right?

Correct, I figured I'd give people a little time to organize themselves before we launch into the full madness.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
In a republic, does a retinue remain with a patrician family when they lose the archonship, or does it remain a state retinue?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Saurus posted:

In a republic, does a retinue remain with a patrician family when they lose the archonship, or does it remain a state retinue?

Retinues, much like all holdings that aren't the capital or main title, are connected to a person and not the state. So if you're playing as the Doge of Venice, have six counties (including Venice), two duchies (that aren't Venice) and a sizable retinue and die, losing the title of Doge, the heir gets five counties, two duchies and the retinue.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Time to found the Partito Islamico

We hold but one major tenant, the conversion of the republic to the one truth faith, Islam. Besides that, we will work with other parties to do what is best for the republic.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

TheMcD posted:

Retinues, much like all holdings that aren't the capital or main title, are connected to a person and not the state. So if you're playing as the Doge of Venice, have six counties (including Venice), two duchies (that aren't Venice) and a sizable retinue and die, losing the title of Doge, the heir gets five counties, two duchies and the retinue.

Thank you for the information. I must then oppose retinues held as a private army by heretics who would use them to kill good christians in their beds. Shame on you, imperialist party, for wanting to vest so much power in a single man. Maybe you should go to the Byzantine Empire where you belong.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
I hereby found the Partito Ombreggiato, or the Shadowed Faction. We follow these tenets:

1. Everything can be achieved through stabbings, nothing is forbidden. The best marriages, alliances and diplomacy can be achieved through stabbing or trickery.
2. Espionage is preferable to war, though war should be waged when necessary, as it is but a different sort of stabbing. Wars should be waged defensively for the most part, offensively only when we are sure of our victory.
3. Power is not a means to an end, but an end in and of itself. Weaken the other families of Amalfi at all times, and stab rival nations until they have weak rulers. Eliminate opposition by any means.
4. As a threat to our rule, Sicily must be eliminated at all costs.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Wait, so is this one proposal per party? Or one proposal period?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Time to found the Partito Islamico

We hold but one major tenant, the conversion of the republic to the one truth faith, Islam. Besides that, we will work with other parties to do what is best for the republic.

I join this party. This is for a couple of reasons. The first once being multiple wives. A republic's lifeblood is its adult males, they allow for more tradeposts. What is the simplest way to do this? More wives.

Secondly, Islam allows for temples to be held by us. There is no better way to centralize Goonikos control of the province of Amalfi than by owning every single holding in the province.

Third: A large swath of land on the African coast is controlled by muslims. Making sure they're not pissed at us is an important goal so that our trade posts there remain alive.

Fourth: Jizya tax. For every province that we grab that's controlled by non-muslim rulers we get a tax bonus. Super important to get extra money.

Fifth: A flimsy pretence to throw our opponents in jail for being heretics.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The Saurus posted:

Thank you for the information. I must then oppose retinues held as a private army by heretics who would use them to kill good christians in their beds. Shame on you, imperialist party, for wanting to vest so much power in a single man. Maybe you should go to the Byzantine Empire where you belong.

Oh, trust me, the Imperialist Party intends to see us go to the Byzantine Empire in due course. The question of who it will belong to, though? That one, we shall carve out the answer bit by bit, through trade, though treaty, and through Trade by Other Means :black101:. We will open up new markets from stem to stern.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

WilliamAnderson posted:

Wait, so is this one proposal per party? Or one proposal period?

One proposal period, parties can place in as many proposals as they want, but untimely one one proposal will be accepted, so it behooves all of you to find some common ground on your proposals when it comes time to submit them.

Also my ATM card got cloned so I'm trying to coordinate with my bank to get my money back, so after the legislature session opens and the proposal has been figured out it might take me a few days to actually get to it.

Also reminder YOU CAN ONLY VOTE and SUBMIT A PROPOSAL IF YOU REGISTER FOR A PARTY, ONCE LEGISLATURE OPENS IN SEVERAL HOURS NO ONE CAN JOIN OR SWITCH PARTIES UNTIL AFTER LEGISLATURE CLOSES

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Joining Partito Obscuro, and suggesting our party should work towards making Sicily an offer it can't refuse.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

Joining Partito Obscuro, and suggesting our party should work towards making Sicily an offer it can't refuse.

Noted and adopted as a tenet.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheMcD posted:

Might as well get in on the ground floor: I hereby wish to start a new party - the Mercantilist Faction :10bux:.

2) The means to gain this money will be primarily administrated by the Goonikos family.
3) The other Patricians of the Republic are to be weakened at every opportunity.

I concur with this assessment and am thus joining the Mercantilist Faction. After all, what else is there in the world but money?

Exactly. MORE MONEY. And that should be our goal.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

TheMcD posted:

I too shall join the Mercantilist Faction.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I announce the founding of the Modernized Populist Party!

Trains for the people!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED

Well it looks like you all managed to get your selves organized nicley, we've got almost as many parties as we do people.

Now you all have 24 HOURS to get a proposal figured out and finalized. Remeber you can only vote if you registered to vote. If you missed the last round of registration, we'll have another once this legislative session is closed.

IF for some reason you all can't come to a consensus in this time, then I'll have no choice but to defer to Glitterhoof for this next ten years of advise and let me tell you he's a dynamo of brilliance. He keeps telling me that I should castrate my sons, and you know what I just might. But I'm willing to give the Assembly a chance, so get to it.

GLITTERHOOF AWAY!!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's get this ball rolling. The Imperialist Faction, Partido Imperialista proposes The Sicilian Opening.

E4 C5.

To be more precise, as a nod to the Partido Obscuro, I propose we begin laying the economic and military groundwork to establish our dominion over Sicily as a priority target.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I, of the Mercantilist Faction, propose the following three-step plan for the next decade, dubbed the Grand Opening:

1) Improvement of the Goonikos family palace. Building it out will mean better administration, allowing us to maintain more trade posts.
2) Trade zone expansion. The early bird gets the worm, and we must be faster than the other patricians in nabbing the good spots for trade posts.
3) Trade post improvement. Once we can't build more trade posts, the best way to get more money to improve the already existing trade posts.

In order to make these points happen, taking out loans is perfectly acceptable, since you've got to spend money to make more money.

This plan would also be conform with The Sicillian Opening, as both our economy and our military (read: our ability to hire mercenaries, the lifeblood of a republic) will be improved by this plan.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

The Partito Ombreggiato proposes The Judas Opening:

1. Raise Clergy obligations one step. The church is a tool to be used for our benefit, and we need more money and soldiers.
2. As with the Sicilian Opening, begin laying the groundwork for the conquest of Sicily.
3. Fabricate a claim on the nearest, weakest county available, and build a retinue in case we succeed.
4. Make an alliance by marriage if possible to a nearby power, particularly the Byzantines.
5. As a nod to our fellow parties, improve our trade post with any money we have available.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 5, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Partito Islamico suggests the Islamic Opening:

1: Convert to Islam
2: Then just follow the Sicilian Opening

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The Partito Islamico suggests the Islamic Opening:

1: Convert to Islam
2: Then just follow the Sicilian Opening

I suggest the Modified Islamic Opening:

1: Educate all male children under Sunni tutors.
2: As soon as one becomes an adult and is Sunni, make him the designated heir to make it simpler to convert the rest.
3: Follow the Sicilian Opening.

Converting to Islam as an adult is quite difficult. We need to do preparations for the future instead.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The people long for the Traitor's Tax and Forced Festivities Act

To solidify our firm, democratic grip over this fine republic I humbly suggest the following:

1. A big raise for the spymaster to encourage hard work and secure the good health of our honourable Protarchon.
2a. Immediate imprisonment of all suspected plotters and traitors whenever treachery is revealed.
2b. In this economy it is necessary to motivate these treacherous snakes to voluntarily donate a bonus taxes in exchange for their release and rehabilitation.
3. We should also earmark funds for new trade posts in our neighboring counties and build a center of trade in our capital. Take a loan from our friendly Jewish neighbors if necessary.
4. Finally, seeing as our government is currently misunderstood and mistrusted for some reason it would be prudent to cheer everyone up with a big summer fair.

Let us confidently show that we are happy where we are and do not need to send our men to die in Sicily. Remember that the tyrant in Salerno is watching our lands greedily!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just wanted to pop in and also remind all of you that while a mansion upgrade will eventually help us yeild more trade posts, our "tech" level for trade practices is still at the basic level given the "old gods" start. So right now all families are limited to one post, though we could try and rush for more if we wanted.

My bad I forgot to post the tech screen.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Then, I would like to propose the Charles VI Gambit - something that could be approaching the first main proposal as a combination of some of the current proposals.

1) Raise funds for trade and army expansion:
- by ransoming plotters and traitors
- by raising clergy obligations
- by taking loans, if necessary
2) Lay the foundation for better trade expansion:
- by expanding the mansion of the family
- by expanding near our province (fabricate claim on nearby county)
3) Set sights on Sicily:
- by expanding southwards
- by fulfilling 1)
- by gaining a strong alliance via marriage
4) Minor odds and ends:
- hold a Summer Fair
- Spymaster gets a gift

I didn't add anything from the religious factions, mostly because their proposals are not conform with any of the other parties and would seriously struggle to gain a majority.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 4, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
A few thoughts:

We want the Dogeship(It doesn't seem clear whether we HAVE the Dogeship). It may not be possible to get it, at least at first, thanks to how the Dogeship is given out.

The best thing we can possibly do is get more holdings for the family. Trade posts cost, improvements cost and since we're seemingly now out of power, we're technically a Count. We have some income from the family palace, but it's not much as compared to what we're buying. If we want more power, we'll have to fight for it. Taking a holding or province for ourselves will help the Republic, too, especially the province, given it gives another cheap place to expand Trade Posts from.

That means potentially using our Trade Post as a weapon, using the Coastal Conquest CB. At the minimum, we can take the city of a province our Trade Post is in. From there, taking the province is possible. This will also mean getting a basic Retinue together, and building/teching by all means to improve that side of things. Fabrication is a pain for Republics simply because the cost is scaled based off income. The cost of fabrication can be alarmingly huge.

Point to note: Your Family Palace, though technically off-map, will teleport to the first holding you capture for the purposes of assigning your councillors(To collect tax, improve tech spread, and so on). If you lose all your personal holdings, the palace will disappear again. Capture a place again? It'll move. It sounds strange, but it's the best way I can describe it.

I don't know if I can join up with anyone, but I wanted to share a little. It sounds so imperial, but my concern is getting the money needed for all we want to do.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bloodly posted:

A few thoughts:

We want the Dogeship(It doesn't seem clear whether we HAVE the Dogeship). It may not be possible to get it, at least at first, thanks to how the Dogeship is given out.

We do have the Dogeship, since my save got messed I had to redo the opening, and now instead of being depressed, our insane Doge is also possessed. So we still hold the Dogeship, in fact, us holding the dogeship is required for this Assembly to even meet, if the family looses it, the Assembly can't vote until it regains it.

Wow, much Dogeships, such finances. TO THE MOON GLITTERHOOF!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Then, I would like to propose the first Combined Opening - something that could be approaching the first main proposal as a combination of some of the current proposals.

1) Raise funds for trade and army expansion:
- by ransoming plotters and traitors
- by raising clergy taxes or levies
- by taking loans, if necessary
2) Lay the foundation for better trade expansion:
- by expanding the mansion of the family
- by expanding near our province (fabricate claim on nearby county)
3) Set sights on Sicily:
- by expanding southwards
- by fulfilling 1)
- by gaining a strong alliance via marriage
4) Minor odds and ends:
- hold a Summer Fair
- Spymaster gets a gift

I didn't add anything from the religious factions, mostly because their proposals are not conform with any of the other parties and would seriously struggle to gain a majority.

Just a note on this, with the mod, raising Clergy Obligations requires they provide both more levies and taxes as a flat percentage. No need to pick one or the other.

Also, motion to rename this Opening to suit our insane, possessed Doge better: The Charles VI Gambit

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread