Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
All this warmongering can only lead to ruin, but in the spirit of compromise i will support the current draft of The Charles VI Gambit.

May the doge/archon/megalomaniac live long and prosper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TravelLog posted:

Also, motion to rename this Opening to suit our insane, possessed Doge better: The Charles VI Gambit

Motion passes. Made a small change to account for the different laws in the mod, now to collect support for the Charles VI Gambit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I am satisfied that the Charles VI Gambit is a suitable variation of the Sicilian Opening. The Partido Imperialista supports this unless someone comes up with a better refinement.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I propose the heretico comburendo wherein the Doge immediately sets to:

1) fabricating claims on the land of the Doux of Naples
2) Building a mustering ground to provide us with an edge in troop levies
3) Saves income to hire mercenaries to prosecute the war for us which will be declared...
4) Once we have acquired at least one claim and enough money to hire and maintain a mercenary unit for two years.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
The Partito Ombreggiato* throws its weight behind the act before us: The Charles VI Gambit

*More accurate Italian

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Curses I am too late to create or join a Party, no matter I shall wait for my time. In any case i'd like to pre-create a party for next vote, the Partito Afrika, the African party. We're we conquer Africa, because why not. Also to recreate Carthage or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Super excited for this, and I can't wait to join Partito Ombreggiato.

By the way, if the leader of Partito Ombreggiato dies suddenly from a tragic inexplicable accident, who ends up leading the party? :ninja:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 5, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
One hour left in the voting, and so far the most promising proposal is this Charles VI Gambit, with four of ten possible votes. Two more and it will gain the majority needed to secure its passage. If it does not pass, then Glitterhoof and I will take the reigns of this next ten years. I hear recreating the acts of old emperors is very popular among rulers. What's that Glitterhoof? Caligula and Nero are the best emperors to imitate. Whatever you say boy!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'll join the Mercantilists and support the Charles VI Gambit.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lynneth posted:

I'll join the Mercantilists and support the Charles VI Gambit.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also reminder YOU CAN ONLY VOTE and SUBMIT A PROPOSAL IF YOU REGISTER FOR A PARTY, ONCE LEGISLATURE OPENS IN SEVERAL HOURS NO ONE CAN JOIN OR SWITCH PARTIES UNTIL AFTER LEGISLATURE CLOSES

My laptop charger just blew out so I'm posting this from the library, the vote will be extended by several more hours untill I can see if I can sort this out. Do remember only the people who registered during the last application cycle may vote for this proposals right now. Once this legislative session ends, you can join and or create a party.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I would suggest a reform to the voting system. A pure majority will be incredibly hard to secure from the beginning on and will only become harder to secure, with future compromisal proposals probably turning into the size of the Bible by the time the Senate becomes larger, often with conflicting goals. We've already got parties that will never support certain other parties (the Catholics and Muslims).

I would instead use a 25% minimum support required for a proposal to pass. If multiple proposals reach the threshold, the most supported will pass.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
The Partito Cattolico will support the Charles VI gambit if the 'nearby county' which it orders us to gain is specified to be owned by a non-Catholic or a Muslim. If we take a foothold in Sicily with a claim this will also allow us to take the entire island at a later date with a single holy war.

I mean, we have a vast armada of a fleet, there's no reason we should focus our expansion on land which borders us like some two-bit Frank.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 5, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TheMcD posted:

I would suggest a reform to the voting system. A pure majority will be incredibly hard to secure from the beginning on and will only become harder to secure, with future compromisal proposals probably turning into the size of the Bible by the time the Senate becomes larger, often with conflicting goals. We've already got parties that will never support certain other parties (the Catholics and Muslims).

I would instead use a 25% minimum support required for a proposal to pass. If multiple proposals reach the threshold, the most supported will pass.

Hmm, but 25% seems like a bit of a low barrier to entry, I think a good compromise would be 33%. Ill amend the law as so, this will be the only time Ill change an election rule without a direct vote, any other changes will have to be legislation based. . .

Well, it looks like you all managed to get everything together and pass a measure. This Charles IV Gambit sounds good, and Glitterhoof have given it a hoof of approval, so it shall be done!

TheMcD posted:

Then, I would like to propose the Charles VI Gambit - something that could be approaching the first main proposal as a combination of some of the current proposals.

1) Raise funds for trade and army expansion:
- by ransoming plotters and traitors
- by raising clergy obligations
- by taking loans, if necessary
2) Lay the foundation for better trade expansion:
- by expanding the mansion of the family
- by expanding near our province (fabricate claim on nearby county)
3) Set sights on Sicily:
- by expanding southwards
- by fulfilling 1)
- by gaining a strong alliance via marriage
4) Minor odds and ends:
- hold a Summer Fair
- Spymaster gets a gift

Also since this first legislative session has completed, I'm now opening the doors to the Assembly for more people and or parties to join. I'll start working on getting this Gambit implemented.

Also just wanted to give you all a heads up, my charger for my laptop is totally fried and I can't find a replacement in the immediate area, so I had to order it online, and being a cheap bastard I opted for the slow mail so it should be here in about a week, so the update will be in a while. Sorry for the slowdown so soon after the start of this, I'll try not to make a habit of it! :)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Going to take this opportunity to join the Partito Ombreggiato

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
What religion and culture is the actual county of Amalfi?

I'm not too sure about the legislative system in the LP at this point, it might need some ironing out. The great thing about previous legislative LPs was that unpopular riders could get passed because they were an essential part of getting through popular actions, but here someone can just make a boring moderate proposal and get it through every session, especially with the drop to 33%.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Saurus posted:

What religion and culture is the actual county of Amalfi?

I'm not too sure about the legislative system in the LP at this point, it might need some ironing out. The great thing about previous legislative LPs was that unpopular riders could get passed because they were an essential part of getting through popular actions, but here someone can just make a boring moderate proposal and get it through every session, especially with the drop to 33%.

Currently the county is Orthodox and the population is Greek. Our ruling family here is Sicilian Greek and Orthodox as well.

Yeah, I do want to have a fun legislative process for the future and I realize that having these kind of riders are essential to that kind of thing. What might happen is as Amalfi get's larger, and "acquires" more population, the requirement and bar to pass something might go up. A kind of way to simulate a larger influx of people coming in and having different interests and a desire to make sure they don't get ruled by a one group that gets good decision making power. When we're just one little homogeneous county that bar will be lower. I guess I just want to make sure we have a nice semi-stable start before we go completely off the rails since even after I've put more than 300 hours into this game, I'm still not the best so there's plenty of chances for things to go nuts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Am I the only poster left who thinks the SWMH mod is garbage? May I ask what exactly it is you like about it?

EDIT: Anyhow, god bless you for doing a parliamentary LP. Those can be ungodly hard to manage. I wish you luck and will be watching.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 5, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Veryslightlymad posted:

Am I the only poster left who thinks the SWMH mod is garbage? May I ask what exactly it is you like about it?

Anyhow, god bless you for doing a parliamentary LP. Those can be ungodly hard to manage. I wish you luck and will be watching.

I like the number of provinces it adds (for the most part, Iceland having 4 spaces does make me raise an eyebrow). I makes conquering stuff feel like more of an accomplishment. I also like that each culture also has more subcategories, I realize for some people it might be obnoxious, but being a quasi-historical sperg I like seeing the various subgroups listed. Really for me its mostly a matter of flavor (though I do turn off the localize names for nations because spelling is hard enough without trying to make sure I get all the Greek and Scandinavian names right). Plus for this LP, since Rincewind is showing off most of the sub-mods that come with the HIP, I figured I should show off the map mod. One downside is I can't just copy the map and paste the image, I've gotta actually take screenshots instead of map dump, so that's a tad of an inconvenience.

And thank you, I love internet politics, so I figured I'd make another fun place for people to make their crazy proposals.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I find SWMH offensively unpleasant to actually play but it makes LPs a bit more fun because it takes longer for someone to ascend into invulnerable death blob status.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

As this August Body seems to be imperiled, the Partito Ombreggiato advances the following legislative amendment, for maximum chaos:
  • 1. The legislature shall convene once every 10 every years to vote on the actions taken by His Tradeship, the Doge.
  • 2. The legislature shall be composed of a number of parties; a party may be created at any time as long as the legislature is not currently in session.
  • 3. The party with the most members shall hereafter referred to as the Majority Party, the party with the least members as the Minority Party, and all others as Intermediate Parties. The leader of the Majority Party may, once per legislative session, use a veto to unilaterally revise one clause of a currently slated motion or remove a motion submitted by the Minority Party from the slate. The leaders of the Intermediate Parties, should a majority of them agree, may likewise revise one clause of a currently slated motion submitted by either the Majority or Minority Parties.
  • 4. A motion may be proposed by any member of the legislature, and requires support from 25% of the legislature to be slated, or the support of 75% of the Party Leaders. A motion may be amended if 1/3rd of the legislature so wishes, so long as the amendment does not reverse or otherwise countermand the general thrust of the motion itself. Any given motion may be so amended no more than three (3) times per legislative session.
  • 5. After 24 hours, any motions which have gathered the requisite support shall be considered slated. After a further 24 hours of debate, discussion and voting, the winning motion shall be the one that receives the highest percentage of legislative support. Should there be a tie, both motions shall be implemented so long as they do not contradict one another, at the discretion of our August Doge, Jimmy4400nav.
  • 6. These bylaws may be amended once per century, in a special legislative session which shall propose and vote on three motions to guide Amalfi's overall, non-specific, goals for the coming one hundred years in addition to the usual 10-year motion.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 5, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I shall officially create Partito Afrika whose tenants are,

1. Expand into Africa.
2. Push Muslims out of Africa.
3. Make Tunis our capital.
4. Recreate the Republic of Carthage.
5. ????
6. Victory.

Hostergaard
Sep 14, 2012
"Excuzhe me? Ssory. I aczidentally heard ya all talking, its hard not to hear a bunch o people shouting at each other when you are trying ta sleep out da booze. Iz not ma fault ya decided to meet in da warehoze I uszually sszzquad in.

Now, I heard ya all wantz to do stuff, there wasz this, watcha callit? party omelete? Partition o... Ah, I got it! Partito Ombreggiato! You guyz like ta stap people ya? I know all abut stapping, I got me szhank right here. I can stap ye face reight here if ya want.

Naw, I be messzin with yah. I aint gonna stab ye. But I ken stap the baron ovar in that castle feer ye. Zee, these barons ofen aint got no children, or just a few, I ken stap them too, then ye propa... prostarch... protarczhon! es da one ta inherit da castle. Naw, whad does a merchant whant with da castle? Nuting. He givesz it ta his odar child who den ez da baron. Naw ya control da military, got a backup family ye ken recruit more males from and have even bettar way ta backstzap any prostatszcoon that ez not Goonikos. I kall dez plan Spreading da Seed"

Spreading da Seed

- Murder of the baron and his family
- Inherit the barony
- Create spin-off family

We now have influence over a major military factor in the county, have more opportunities for plotting since one of county vassals is our family and have a backup family to recruit males from if we need them. Plus, its always fun to have a few offshoot families run rampant on their own and watch what they getup to.

Of course, this depends on the baron not having much of a family. Of course, there is also other ways to gain the barony...

Hostergaard fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 6, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

As this August Body seems to be imperiled, the Partito Ombreggiato advances the following legislative amendment, for maximum chaos:
  • 1. The legislature shall convene once every 10 every years to vote on the actions taken by His Tradeship, the Doge.
  • 2. The legislature shall be composed of a number of parties; a party may be created at any time as long as the legislature is not currently in session.
  • 3. The party with the most members shall hereafter referred to as the Majority Party, the party with the least members as the Minority Party, and all others as Intermediate Parties. The leader of the Majority Party may, once per legislative session, use a veto to unilaterally revise one clause of a currently slated motion or remove a motion submitted by the Minority Party from the slate. The leaders of the Intermediate Parties, should a majority of them agree, may likewise revise one clause of a currently slated motion submitted by either the Majority or Minority Parties.
  • 4. A motion may be proposed by any member of the legislature, and requires support from 25% of the legislature to be slated, or the support of 75% of the Party Leaders. A motion may be amended if 1/3rd of the legislature so wishes, so long as the amendment does not reverse or otherwise countermand the general thrust of the motion itself. Any given motion may be so amended no more than three (3) times per legislative session.
  • 5. After 24 hours, any motions which have gathered the requisite support shall be considered slated. After a further 24 hours of debate, discussion and voting, the winning motion shall be the one that receives the highest percentage of legislative support. Should there be a tie, both motions shall be implemented so long as they do not contradict one another, at the discretion of our August Doge, Jimmy4400nav.
  • 6. These bylaws may be amended once per century, in a special legislative session which shall propose and vote on three motions to guide Amalfi's overall, non-specific, goals for the coming one hundred years in addition to the usual 10-year motion.

Hmm, this seems a bit more well thought out than my currently legislative laws and it definitely would encourage maximum fun. Would everyone else be okay with this, it will also give more time for voting when it comes around next week (again, sorry about that, drat charger blowing out).

Also I updated the front page to include the current list of factions and members.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 6, 2014

Dec 30, 2008
Partito Islamico needs more support.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You should save and load up as the current doge whenever you lose the dogeship, that way we can have parties aligned to the different families that get a bonus when that family is in power.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hey hey, good news I finally got my charger in (the right model this time), so I'm playing through the update right now, lets hope our favorite insane Doge can steer our ship of state smoothly!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Am I able at this point to join the Partito Islamico?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I submit my application to Partito Ombreggiato. Stabbing for all. :ese:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'd like to join the Partito Cattolico, please.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey hey, good news I finally got my charger in (the right model this time), so I'm playing through the update right now, lets hope our favorite insane Doge can steer our ship of state smoothly!

Out of curiosity, are we adopting the legislative changes I mentioned?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I would like to join the Imperialists.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would like to join the Imperialists.

Welcome to the Partito Imperialista! Here's your complimentary weighted gladius engraved with the words, 'Vae Victis'.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

Out of curiosity, are we adopting the legislative changes I mentioned?

I've been thinking and yes I think we'll be implementing these changes for the next legislative session and I think I have a very good in-game reason for bringing the system over to your more fun method.

Beerdeer posted:

Am I able at this point to join the Partito Islamico?

Yes, feel free to join in!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I shall create the Nova Roma Party

our platform is

1. Enforce Greek Orthodoxy on every county/person possible

2. Bilk any heathens/foreigners for money and land

3. Amalfi must be a roman republic, destroy/convert the heretic patrician families.

4. Acquire as many Romes as possible

5. Restore the Pentarchy

6. Destroy the muslims/pagans/catholics in that order.

7. Restore "Mare Nostrum" through naval power and trade posts

8. Destroy the Byzantine Empire because...

9. Amalfi is the true successor to Rome

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
UPDATE 2-The One With the Shoehorned MLP Joke

The following are a small selection of scrolls that were sent to the Baroness of monteriggioni by the Republic of Amalfi. Numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands, these cryptic scrolls offer us a small gimps into the inner workings of the republic, though why they were sent here is anyone's guess. Many have sadly been destroyed, as the baroness grew weary over time due to receiving these seemingly unwelcome messages. Curiously, handwriting analysis indicates that the Doge at this time and the pen writer known as Glitterhoof, were in fact the same person, though for the purposes of this display, they are kept separate.

Dear Baroness Clizia, I've learned much since my move here to Amalfi and today I wanted to share with you a lesson I learned about preparedness. . .

For instance it is important to make sure your spymaster is absolutely loyal to you, be it by giving him money, titles, or even both!

Joining plots can be useful is you need to later ransom off your co-conspirators for a source of quick income.

I forgot to mention last update, Patrician Musco asked me to join a plot to kill the head of the Mauro family and naturally our Doge obliged.

Putting forward laws that give you more resources from the Church will benefit in the long run.

Having motivated councilors can bring you things at a rate you couldn't even imagine. Having a magnificent reputation for castration certainly helps in that factor as well!

Seriously, three months into his assignment and my councilor delivered!

Creating a small standing force of professional soldiers can help you with war in the future.

Throwing fairs can be beneficial for the moral of the populace!

Though one needs to pay attention and assertive to make sure everyone stays safe.

Keeping enough money in the treasury in perpetration to pay money lenders is also key.

However, I also learned that one can be too prepared. Trying to just manage every small thing can strain someone badly and make you tense and moody, or more tense and moody than one already is.

Thinking too hard on your own existence certainly doesn't help either!

When stressed like this, it can make you strange things. . .

But untimely, with a little planned relaxation, you can keep juggling all the hectic chore of managing the realm.. .

And still find time to find the small pleasures in life!

All it takes is a little preparation in your life to yield the best fruits of the future!

-Your Faithful Servant
Glitterhoof

Dear Baroness Clizia, today I learned that there are many ways for a realm to acquire land. You could take it by the sword of pagan conquest like the Mygars. . .

Or you can inherit it like the King of Bavaria.

But if your a small lord then people won't immedietly want to flock to your cause to take land. You have to build your reputation, be it for war or organization.

Only then can you marshal enough credibility to attack your foes.

I was in the negative prestige because of my claim fabrication, fulling my improve stewardship ambition boosted that. That's right Meletios was able to get enough prestige to launch a war based entirely on his kitchen staff organization skills!

When on the battlefield you have to be ferocious. My friend rode me as he struck his lance through his foe while I trampled all that I could!

If you strike enough, you can scatter your foes and leave their proud army in tatters with relentless pursuit!

By doing so you can reap a harvest of bountiful land that can will eventually improve your realm several fold.

But of course you have to always remember to pay dividend to those who helped you along the way!

Your Faithful Servant
Glitterhoof

Dear Baroness Clizia,my friend Melitos is the best person I know! He certainly knows how to enjoy prosperity and victory!

He even knows how to have a good laugh about himself.

Though obviously not everyone in the land appreciates his kindness and humor!

The only trouble is, sometimes he loves to be so spontaneous that occasionally he'll lose track of things, especially his coin.

Fortunately, Councilor Polkarios is there to help in the tough times! Which just goes to show that he knows how to pick the best of friends!

Your Faithful Servant
Gliterhoof!

Dear Baroness Clizia, today I learned an important lesson about patience! Sometimes life will just give you a bad deal and you'll feel like nothing you do can accomplish much.

But if you dive head into a task you can potentially steer it in your favor.

Something you've stared years in the past can have a way of finally paying off, even if the time is separated by years!

You can never be to young or old to start something new!

Be it exploring lands unknown. . .

To expanding on your enterprises

Or even devoting yourself to higher thoughts and ideals!

Nothing is impossible.

And who knows, that patience can have a way of rubbing off on others! From your family. . .

To your friends!

Your Faithful Servant
Glitterhoof

Dear Baroness Cilzia, I wanted to talk to you a little bit about ambition!

It's simple fact that if you want the best things in life, people will like you more, they'll want to rub shoulders with you and get to know you better.

Sometimes its necessary to let your close family get closer to those who might hold rivalries with you, if only to keep them closer.

It's also necessary to make sure that those near to you keep their wits sharp, or can at least make a friendly face, or a witty comment or know how to sniff someones hair in a friendly fashion!

Careful planing is of course needed for ambition. For example, I wanted the county of Benevoto, but Duke Adelchis was a tad strong, and while I may have the blood of both Hercules and Odysseus coursing through my veins and could easily slay all my foe on the field, that seemed tiring, so I plotted his demise to weaken the land when his baby daughter took the throne!

Though some setbacks in ambition are to be expected, but in my defense, how was I supposed to know he was on the church's seven steps program?

Still even with setbacks, one can still plan for the future, a strong military to chase off vile Thracians or others is always good. Plus the extra barracks means more soldiers under arms.

Also its key to make sure your Eclisiarch is the same faith as you, that's pretty useful too!

Anyways, the ambition of others can be helpful too. When the King of Lombardy decided to take a slice of Duke Adelchis's land, this was the time to strike!

I was a quick war, one giant battle and we swept them. Glitterhoof was magnificent, trampling everyone in our path while I sang songs of victory!

As I said, a little ambition goes a long way and can always help the realm!

Your Friend, Melitos Goonikos

dear baroness, my doge wanted his courtiers to pen letters and sucH rEgarding what we've Learn in our time in court, sadly this time has been all too brief due to Plague.

tragically, this took the life of MElitos's second oldest chIlD intO the arms of the lord, some whisper of divine punishmNT for our WAr up north, but as a man of faith i am NoT sure i can make such a claim.

though the loss of our autumn ambassador TO sLOw fever waS a blow that mE and ManY took for an ill sign of the future.

on top of that, our some of our BoAt captains were working as smuggLers for a rivaL family, i could Scant believe how much gold was pouring out of THE coffers!

after that, improved Defence was Of course a top priority, with the trade ports Garrison incrEasing threefold!

sofIa, the doge'S daughter has developed a healthy sense of faIth, a fire burNS And churNs insidE her to purify the Souls of others!

i supposE that is why the duke of tuscaNy was arraingeD to wed sofia, her piety wiNning over the papist's heart! I also hear this fufilled a mandate from the senate seeking alliances, i supposes this is How thesE Letters uP north began.

though we won the land up north, the doge insisted on continuing his vendetta against duke adelchis. why I do not know, But our Efforts have not been Good, though i hear the duke and his staff are constantly yelling "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, find that snake!" the doge finds that anecdote amusing and wanted me to include it.

we also initiated an. . .er "final clean uP" of saLErno. the wAr laStEd a scant two montHs. . .

though cElebrations Lasted a lot longer. Parties aM i right?

pErsonally, i've helped THe doge In theological matterS, such as helping wIth wayward courtierS who stray from the proper faith.

just as well, the papists have split, with aN anti-pope being propped up by the king Of lombardy, no doubt a WAYward attempt TO garner more money rather than spirituaL health!

we've also lost our esteemed spymaster as well, the mayor died in a horseback riding accIdent, though he doge has ensured proper payment and titles were conferred to his successor to ensure his loyalty.

amalfi has surE prOspered in this past decade, tripling it's land acquisitions in sucH short order is a feat reserved only for a Great few.

Oh dear i Dare say i forgot to tell you wHat i'vE learned theSe past few years, well, all i can really say is that victory will always be COMING for a pious man like our esteemed doge and his family.

sincerely, ecclesiarch bartholomew

p.s i must say it is certainly CAPITAL to be able to write letters such as these, CAPITAL indeed!

STATE OF THE WORLD and LEGISLATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT TO COME SOON!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 10, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
LEGISLATIVE UPDATE 2

First, lets get our bearing on the world, now that a hectic ten years have passed, starting with our patrician families!

House Goonikos continues to stand strong, though we still have no other adult members apart from Meletios.

The Konstantinos are by far the largest family, their roots run quite deep.

The Mauro are the smallest House and could be in danger of going extinct if they don't get some good marriages for the remaining males of the family.

The Musco are a giant sausage fest

The Urso are doing alright, but so far Leone only managed to make one son, his brothers haven't made squat for the family.

The descendant kingdoms of Charles the Great are in a state of flux. With Bavaria, Francia and Lombardy all at roughly equal levels of power and influence. Currently, Lombardy and Lotharingia are defending against a war launched by the king of Francia, while the self styled "Duke" of Bavaria has been content to sit on the side lines and watch his cousins and brothers bleed themselves out.

All are quite disappointing when held in comparison to their fearsome progenitor. Except the King of Lombardia, whose a sneaky a-hole.

The Byzantines (or Romans however you want to call them) are still fairly strong, thought their western provinces have raised the banner of rebellion to try and claim independence. However with the vast majority of his empire still intact, Basileus Basileios looks to be in a commanding position to quash this latest act of treason in his empire.

Being a kick rear end general married to a Norse warrior princess helps too.

To the south, the the Aghlab Banu is launching an assault on Malta to claim the island while it's in rebellion against the Byzantines. All of southern Italy and the Dalmatian Coast has joined in the revolt against the Byzantines.

Sultan Muhammad is more of a bean counter than a fighter though, but considering its pre-Knights of St. John Malta, I don't think he'll have too many problems.

Finally to our west the Island of Sardinia is divided in half, with the Eastern half being the lands of Duke Lucio, and the West belonging to Count Giudice. Lucio has a small edge in the quality of holdings and land, but Giudice is a more competent ruler who could easily usurp the title if he survive his wounds.

Also if you notice by this trade map, we're the only Republican game in town! Pisa and Genoa aren't Grand Republics yet, and Venice was anticlimactically annexed by Lombardy in 869 and given to a random dude (I didn't notice that until now). So we've already technically have sole dominance of the Mediterranean. . . yay? :confuoot:)

Finally in wrapping up world house keeping of interesting sights, in the Northeast, Holmgardr and Ugra are now basically ready to from the Kingdoms of Novgorod and Perm respectively. I'm secretly pulling for Ugra, I'd like to see the Suomenusko pull through for once and not get stomped by the Norse.

Meanwhile in Norway the Yngling are doing their thing.

Military

Our current army consists of 2 shock regiments, we have slightly more than 1000 supply point. I've included a list of soldiers we can hire (for narrative purposes I've given them slightly more flavorful names in this description).

MILITARY RECRUITMENT posted:

Cataphract Regiment: 1200 Supply Use
-150 Heavy Cavalry
-100 Horse Archers

Spanish Lancers: 700 Supply Use
50 Heavy Cavalry
200 Light Cavalry

Contingent of Sellswords: 475 Supply Use
-200 Heavy Infantry
-50 Archers

Force of Swiss Men at Arms: 450 Supply Use
-150 Pikemen
-100 Archers

Detachment of English Bowmen: 400 Supply Use
50Heavy Infantry
200 Archers.

Managment

Our current council, for a republic ruled by an insane Doge, I'm happy to report, not everyone on the Council hates us.

Our finances are looking pretty good right now. We owe a hundred gold pieces to the Jewish merchants, but we can repay that fairly quickly.

Techwise, we're alright, we've been going a bit slower than normal since I keep our spymaster on Amalfi 24/7 since a ton of people want to see our beloved Doge die of stabbing related allergies.

Sadly our attempts to pass heightened clergy obligation laws have been meeting with piddling success.

Among our newly conquered lands, we are firmly a minority. Everyone outside Amalfi it Italian and a Papist (thought three of our Patrician families are in the same boat).

Our northernmost province of A'rjaeno is lowly acclimating to our rule, the damages from the war have recently been repaired, though the province still requires a lot of work to bring up snuff.

CASTLE UPGRADES posted:

Cavalleria II: Cost-188.2 GP. Effect: -.15 Tax Income, -30 Light Infantry, -10 Heavy Infantry, -10 Pikemen, -20 archers, + 20 Light Cavalry, +35 Heavy Cavalry, +5% Light Cavalry Defence, +5% Heavy Cavalry Defense, +20.0 Retinue Size
Castle Walls I: Cost: 47 GP. Effect: +0.5% Levy Increase, +.20 Tax Income, +0.5 Fort Level, +0.5 Tech Spread.
Barracks I: Cost: 94.1 GP. Effect: -.1 Tax Income, +30 Heavy Infantry, +15 Pikemen, +20 Retinue Size.
Keep I: Cost: 141.1 GP. Effect: +1.0% Levy Increase, -.10 Tax Income, +1 Tech Spread, +.5 Military Tech Spread, +3% Garrison size, +20 Retinue Size.
Militia Training Ground I: Cost: 94.1 GP. Effect: -0.05 Tax Income, +80 Light Infantry, +10 Archers, + 20 Retinue Size.
Castle Town I Cost: 94 GP. Effect: +1.5 Tax Income, +1% Tech Spread Rate, +.5 Military Tech Spread.

Arech, our first conquest is much more developed, the former duke of Salerno having invested a bit more in its development. It also has access to the sea.

CASTLE UPGRADES posted:

Cavalleria II: Cost-188.2 GP. Effect: -.15 Tax Income, -30 Light Infantry, -10 Heavy Infantry, -10 Pikemen, -20 archers, + 20 Light Cavalry, +35 Heavy Cavalry, +5% Light Cavalry Defence, +5% Heavy Cavalry Defense, +20.0 Retinue Size
Keep II: Cost-188.2 GP. Effect: +2.0% leavy size, -.15 Tax Income, +1.0% tech spread rate, +.5 Military Tech Spread Rate, Garrison size +6%, +20 Retinue Size
Stable IICost 112.9 GP. Effect: -.15 Tax Income, +55 Light Cavalry, +20 Retinue Size.
Castle Town II: Cost: 112.0 GP. Effect: +2.0 Tax Income, +1% Teach Spread Rate, +.5 Military Tech Spread Rate.
Barracks I: Cost: 94.1 GP. Effect: -.1 Tax Income, +30 Heavy Infantry, +15 Pikemen, +20 Retinue Size.
Militia Training Ground I: Cost: 94.1 GP. Effect: -0.05 Tax Income, +80 Light Infantry, +10 Archers, + 20 Retinue Size.

Meanwhile, Amalfi and our family palace are doing well, the other noble families have now developed their own system of trade posts, though ours is still the most valuable.

TOWN UPGRADES posted:

Center of Trade-Cost: Cost-705 GP. Effect: +2.00 income, +.50 Fort Level, +20.0% Military tech Spread, +30.0% Economic and Cultural Tech Spread, +3 Galleys, +.10 Military Tech Points, +.15 Economic and Cultural Tech Points.
City Fortification II: Cost-47 GP. Effect: -.10 Tax Income, +.40 Fort Level, +20.0 Retinue Size.
Militia Training Ground II: Cost-188.2 GP. Effect: +1.5% levy size, -.15 Tax Income, +6.0% Garrison size, +20.0 Retinue Size
Mustering Grounds II: Cost-112.9 GP. Effect: -0.15 Tax Income +40 Light Infantry, +70 Archers ,+20.0 Retinue Size

PALACE UPGRADES posted:

Palace: Cost-376 GP Effects: +30% Levy Size, +8l00 Tax Income, Trade Post Limit +3.
Catacombs: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +0.25 Monthly Piety, +1.00 Martial.
Palace Archive: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +0.20 Morale of Armies, +1.00 Stewardship, +20.0% Levy Reinforcement Rate, +400.0 Retinue Size.
Secret Passages: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +5.00 Tax Income, +1.00 Intrigue
Private Shipyards: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +18 Galleys
Riding Grounds: Cost- 235 GP. Effects: +90 Light Cavalry
Swordsmith: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +85 Heavy Infantry, +65 Pikemen
Target Range: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +110 Light Infantry, +110 Archers.
Scenic Pond: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +.30 Monthly Prestige, +1.00 Diplomacy.
Private Art Collection: Cost- 235 GP. Effect: +1 Learning, +.25 Monthly Piety

TRADE POSTS UPGRADES posted:

Merchant Port 1: Cost: 94 GP Effect: +10 trade value
Merchant Enclave II: Cost: 141.1 GP. Effect: 1.5 Tax Income
Garrison III: Cost: 188.2. Effect: +50, +200 garrison size, +3 fort level

The newly annexed region of Marsico is stilled ruled by the former duke of Salerno, but now he answers to the Republic of Amalfi, speaking of which. . .

We usered the Duke's former title and the "duty" of Salerno has now become a Republic. While nice, this does present a problem, as Amalfi is technically a de jure territory of Salerno, so while we claim the republic title, the lands of our fair city are still internationally recognized as being apart of Salerno. If we wanted to make Amalfi the official land, we'd have to destroy the Salerno title and then wait a number of years for the slow process of recognition of Amalfi's preeminence to finish. Alternatively, we could always keep it and just officially be Amalfi in name. Quick note as well, if we lose Doge elections, both republic titles will go to the winner, though we'll still hold onto our conquests.

Amalfi. . .

The World.

BOO! I'm back, I hope you're all pleased with the new diggs, I'm sure your all happy to be out of that fish warehouse, though sadly the senate hall still isn't finished yet, so we're meeting here in the tavern for the time being!

Anyways, while last legislative session was quite productive, we now have a small problem. Since we're technically a "republic" and have to "represent" the "interest" of people in the realm, and given that our humble little body has now grown quite bit since we just tripled our land, our previous structure won't quite work to accommodate all the new people coming in.

Suprisingly, instead of Glitterhoof, one of you came up with a fairly good idea to improve this system, which we'll now be implementing for this legislative session.

:siren:NEW LEGISLATIVE RULES-READ THIS poo poo!:siren:

TravelLog posted:

Now in the interest of "fairness" since this is a fairly big change, I'm going to give you all 24 HOURS to organize your selves, be it creating new parties, bringing new people in, or switching parties. You can discuss and brainstorm policy at this time, but no formal submission may be made until the legislative session opens REMEMBER WHEN A SESSION OPENS, NO NEW PEOPLE CAN JUMP IN UNTIL IT CLOSES!

We'll I'm off, I expect to see your party registration and platform proposal napkins seen!

GLITTERHOOF! STOP DOING A MEAD STAND AND LET US RIDE OFF!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 21, 2014

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I wish to join the Mercantilist Faction. I also think we should be building more trade posts to make more money.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Partito Imperialista is recruiting! Want to influence policy? Come on in and tell us your ideas.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Welcome to Danaru, Hostergaard and Nth Doctor. The Ombreggiato look forward to your presence and solicit any questions, concerns or suggestions you may have.

As your August leader, my initial impressions for policy are as follows:
  • Stab Duke Giudice. We don't want neighbors uniting land that we want to take later.
  • Bribe or stab our way to getting clergy obligations passed.
  • We should try to advantageously marry our kids off and see about sabotaging any neighbors we have without children.

Beyond that, maybe some more upgrading and a cataphract retinue? I'm open to ideas.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

As a proud Imperialist, I recommend we conquer Naples. It will give us more Orthodox Greeks to work with and give us a far finer capital than Amalfi. After that, we should begin to prepare for a Holy War to conquer Sicily.

• Locked thread