Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Roydrowsy posted:

If you are the least bit interested in true crime, "The Monster of Florence" by Douglas Preston was outstanding. I'm pretty sure somebody is trying to make it into a movie (George Cloony?) It's not so much the story of a serial killer, but a story about how grossly incompetent police officers turned it into a witchhunt. At one point, the writers of the book are investigated as suspects in the case.

Yes! I read this a couple of years ago and really liked how the book was more of a reflection on the unchanging nature of the Italian criminal justice system. Douglas Preston also did a fantastic job of describing the players in this story as if they were his fictional characters. Authors tend to skip these descriptions when referring to real people. The original publication of this novel also coincided with the beginning of the Amanda Knox case, so if that drama interests you at all, this book shines new light on the situation.

screenwritersblues posted:

I just recently read Jim Henson's biography. It was really a happy book right up until his death. I've never seen a man live out his dream and really become successful doing it.

I loved this book. I had been waiting a long time for a complete biography of Jim Henson. He's been one of my role models. This book is heartwarming and despite how I cried like a child throughout the chapter about his death and subsequent memorial, it was a great life to share in. Recommended for anyone who was touched by his work.

And as I see what the rest of you all are reading, it makes me feel inferior. This year I've read so much pop culture: Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, The Mad Sculptor by Harold Schechter (True crime from the 1930s) and The World According to Mister Rogers. And my next planned non-fiction is going to be Ninja by John Man.

Last year I pretended to be a little more scholarly by reading The First Muslim by Lesley Hazelton, My Beloved Brontosaurus by Brian Switek, and Moby Duck by Donovan Hohn. But those can easily be overlooked since I also read Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh and Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris.

I apparently enjoy being informed, but I want to be entertained while doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread