Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I've been reading a lot about diseases and epidemics, lately. Because apparently nonfiction is fun as long as it's terrifying. They're listed from what I enjoyed most to what I enjoyed least.

Asleep by Molly Caldwell Crosby is my favorite so far. It deals with Sleeping Sickness (a type of encephalitis) and the fact that we're...still not really sure what happened there.

The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett is really long, but deals with a ton of post-antibiotics epidemics. It also goes into the way that public health, politics, and the environment intersect when dealing with epidemics. It's the perfect book if you want to spend a few weeks telling anyone who will listen to you things that they were probably more comfortable not knowing.

The Dancing Plague by John Waller deals with the religious/cultural/political issues that have surrounded dancing epidemics, particularly the one in 1518. It was very readable and very informative at the same time, particularly in the last chapter where it deals with other bizarre outbreaks like that.

Richard Preston's The Hot Zone was a very good look at the history of Ebola and Marburg, with a focus on the Reston, Virginia outbreak. While the book itself did a good job of being readable and explaining things, Preston's writing style gets a little distracting at times. Sometimes, he seems to think that he is writing a Lovecraft story, and ends up dipping into some overdramatic purple prose.

Rabid by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy was...okay. I learned a lot about rabies and its history, but would have liked a heavier dose of science and a lighter dose of rabies as a root of horror stories. That said, I was able to finish it in just a few days, so still worth the read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread