Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModernPrometheus
Oct 21, 2010

I enjoyed Delusions of Gender but I wonder if anyone is really swayed by it's arguments. Even if it is preaching to the choir, it's nice to have such an extensive list of the research done on gender difference.

I've been trying to read a lot more nonfiction lately, in part to fill in the wide gaps I have in knowledge, as well as a break from reading some really disappointing fiction.

Recent standouts have been:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann. The author clearly states his bias, but I didn't really mind. It's a far more extensive look at the Americas than I've ever been exposed to. And it helps understand - even a little bit - just how much was lost.

Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang. Like 1491, the author lets her personal views and life seep into the narrative she constructs from the interviews and interactions with these women. But I don't know, I kind of prefer that than a completely distant account. It's very readable. I really want to find more stuff like it: books about the lives people are experiencing in the present as opposed to something focused on the past.

Foolie posted:

It may be better for D&D, but I really enjoyed The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in America, which was an interesting deconstruction of the way that drug enforcement policy is deferentially applied across racial lines in the US and the miserable consequences of being on the wrong side of that difference.
This really needs to be required reading in American schools, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernPrometheus
Oct 21, 2010

I'm currently reading through Jung Chang's Wild Swans. More than half way done with it and I'm really enjoying it. I don't tend to read a lot of biographies or autobiographies, nor do I know much about 20th century China. Chang tells the stories of her grandmother, her mother, and herself, and it helps to ground the history of the country in the family's own history. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for similar books that are kind of like generation-memoirs?

• Locked thread