Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Other than the history book thread, there really isn't a place to discuss nonfiction. Now there is. So lets post about reading old dead dudes' thoughts on Marxism or books about sexism or whatever.

I'm about to read Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine and Gothic Arches,Latin Crosses Anti-Catholicism and American Church Designs in the Nineteenth Century by Ryan K Smith. What about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ModernPrometheus posted:

I enjoyed Delusions of Gender but I wonder if anyone is really swayed by it's arguments. Even if it is preaching to the choir, it's nice to have such an extensive list of the research done on gender difference.

I just finished it, and while it is really well put together and had it's arguments clearly put out with evidence, I really do not think it would convince people who put a lot of stock into gender differences. My main problem with the book was that I have an older edition that is missing the chapter on the differences between gamer girls and true gamers.

I also finished my ant-Catholicism in the US and how it affected church designs book which was really neat. It was fun to see how over time many protestant churches started adopting catholic designs to try and retain members and possibly to sway immigrants (who were largely catholic at the time) away from the allure of the roman church even while fearmongering and being disdainful of roman practices and idolatrous images.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I read aloud Theory of the Leisure Class on a trip to and back from Florida which was a really weird but I enjoyed the book. I also got some peaches and oranges on the way.

• Locked thread