Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Despite being aware of Jon Ronson and his work, So You've Been Publicly Shamed, is the first of his books I've read. I really enjoyed his personal kind of journalism - it especially works when dealing with shaming because it humanizes the victims. I really felt like I was along for the ride as he pursued different angles of thinking.

I've always found it kind of dark when I'd see people online calling for someone's job. A person tweets something stupid and suddenly their livelihood is being screamed for. In this book you hear about the repercussions of this kind of online 'justice'.

It's a troubling, but interesting read, and it really holds up a mirror to ask us, the 'public', how we are abusing our power.

Does anyone have any recommendations of writers along the lines of Ronson? Louis Theroux doesn't have any books does he...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread