Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Other than the history book thread, there really isn't a place to discuss nonfiction. Now there is. So lets post about reading old dead dudes' thoughts on Marxism or books about sexism or whatever.

I'm about to read Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine and Gothic Arches,Latin Crosses Anti-Catholicism and American Church Designs in the Nineteenth Century by Ryan K Smith. What about you?

Delusions of Gender is really excellent, good choice. I'm reading The Myth ogf Mental Illness by Thomas Szasz and I personally think it is mostly bunk but it is good and thought provoking bunk. Everybody go read it if you ever think about mental illness at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Yiggy posted:

I also just started Foucalt's A History of Madness since we're starting a small discussion group on it in SAL. Only through chapter one. Its interesting but a little dense. I don't know how much of that is the translation and how much of that is Foucalt.

The version I have is probably the most intimidating book I own. It has a foreword, an introduction, the original preface to the 1961 edition and the changed preface for the 1972 edition and each one (except maybe the 1972 preface) is more dense than most whole books.

The 1972 preface is Foucault trying to justify writing a preface to a book 10 years after the main text is written and he concludes that he shouldn't.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've been reading Godel Escher Bach it's proper good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've spent today reading First as Tragedy Then As Farce by noted terrible cinema forum poster Slavoj Zizek and it's actually really good but what are more good things that are similar preferably of a similar ;evel of accessibiloty but I will read more difficult stuff if you say it is good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading THe Golden Bough and I keep alternating between cringing at how he keeps going on about how Aboriginals are by far the most underdeveloped of the human races and finding the sarcastic treatment of all of the weird magical rituals incredibly charming.

• Locked thread