Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pick posted:

I read this book, and unfortunately I'm not sure I'd recommend it?

I think there's perhaps some good content there, but similar to Tokyo Vice (which I'm convinced is 85% total B.S.), I think the author got too caught up in his own narrative, or trying to refine a narrative. He does say the conversations are based largely on memory, but they seem... way too crisp? They read a lot more like a screenplay than an actual recitation of fact. I'm not claiming he didn't do the work, but I think his memory has been affected substantially by what he wanted to learn when he first set foot in the projects. He made himself the main character of a story that's just too clean (and rather condescending). It ends up feeling paper-thin and more like a novelization of The Wire than a serious academic work.

I read Tokyo Vice mostly because i wanted to learn more about the yakuza. but half of the book is the dude getting high and loving chicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread