Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Not enough. Besides the current book of the month, Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman":

- The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. By Deborah Blum. Quite interesting book but a bit repititive and nothing truly sensational. It's just a nice story of how a bunch of medical examiner's that had a profound impact on forensic science combined with some random stories of poisoner's and people getting poisoned. None of the crime stories are told in a whodunit way.

- A Short History of Nearly Everything. By Bill Bryson. Really good popular science book. Most science facts I already knew due to being a scientist myself, but the stories behind some scientists were worth it alone and I did learn plenty of things still simply because of how broad it is. It won't change your way of thinking, but it's still a nice collection of wacky things that really happened and how they effected the world.

- The Disappearing Spoon. By Sam Kean. Meh. Tries to be "a short history of nearly everything" just for chemistry but it was pretty tame. Informative for sure and plenty of interesting facts, but no stories you can tell to your (science inclined) friends over a beer.

- Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything. By Joshua Foer. Very nice book and of all the non-fiction books probably the one I talked about most with my friends afterwards. It's not a guidebook on how to memorize stuff, so you should not expect that, rather it's the story of a journalist investigating the scene and describing some colourful/cool/unbelieable weird guys either involved in the scene or of the rain-man type as well as some explanation of how everything is done. Nothing revolutionary and nothing that will change your worldview, but a very enjoyable read nonetheless.

- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. By Jared Diamond. I read it a long time ago so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy. I'm a bit concerned about the accuracy of his theories and have my doubts about how true everything is. It's a nice book to get somebody interested in antrophology, a field that really seems to lack good introductory books that are actually accurate.

There are probably some others I forgot to mention.

Anyway, can I request nonfiction books here? If so, things I'd like to read:
- a short, introductory text (assuming no psychology background) on how to help people with depression.
- a book on social engineering and/or cold reading. If possible, it should be entertaining and not just informative (read: contain true stories of succesful applications of these things). Please no "here's how to manipulate/pick-up women" crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread