Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

ExecuDork posted:

I need to read more books, rather than substiting on a diet of The Economist and scientific articles. So I'm bookmarking a few threads here in the Book Barn and I hope to get more serious reading done this year.

Skimming this thread I haven't seen many examples of books people didn't like - it's mostly positive recommendations around here (with some exceptions). I posted a negative review to my blog, for War: A Crime Against Humanity by Roberto Vivo. Short version: get a better editor, dude.

Occasionally I pick up a book based on an Economist review in the back of the mag. They review a wide range of non-fiction, so if you're interested in Economist-esque topics delve into your old copies more and check it out? If you read the economist like me, you're like three or four issues behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

blue squares posted:

Under the Banner of Heaven is intense.

Does he interspace his story about a [youth idealist / climbing party] with chapters bragging about his own climbing experience only ultimately to decide that the subject of the book [deserved to starve to death / was not his fault]?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I'm not too cool as I obviously read his books enough to know that is what he did in Into the Wild and Into Thin Air.

He's just an rear end in a top hat and tbh, that isn't even the minority opinion. So in reality, I'm glad you can see through this and appreciate his books for what they are. I haven't been able to do that with his big two. Maybe the mormon book is different.

• Locked thread