Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Walh Hara posted:

- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. By Jared Diamond. I read it a long time ago so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy. I'm a bit concerned about the accuracy of his theories and have my doubts about how true everything is. It's a nice book to get somebody interested in antrophology, a field that really seems to lack good introductory books that are actually accurate.

As someone who has read and somewhat enjoyed three of Diamonds books (guns, collapse, yesterday), and you've described them all. They are interesting reads, but I don't really consider them serious scholarship.

Gang Leader for a Day started off interesting, but got very samey towards the end and the pay off wasn't all that interesting.

I'm reading Devil in the White City. It's ok, but I've been promised it will pick up soon, which I think is funny since the fair just ended... Will check back when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread