Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Waist High in the World. It's pretty good if you wanna know more about the cultural perceptions of disabled people. It's also hella depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

That makes sense.
I've mostly been reading books of film criticism which are I guess published thesisus. I just hate facts whether I'm reading fiction or non-. I'd really recommend Richard Cumbow's Order in the Universe about the works of John Carpenter (sadly written before Ghosts on Mars. Not sure if there's a revised edition). It's great alone for simply collecting a lot of Carpenter quotes but his analysis on the films is solid. Though the contortions he makes to apologise for Cameron can be dreadful: Vampires isn't misogynistic because, uh, there aren't any women in it; the portrayal of gangs in Assault on Precinct 13 is fine because it slots into a long line of eg westerns using indians as a manifestation of evil. Also he gets so excited at Prince of Darkness he breaks down and tries to pin it down through a series of lists, it's bizarre.

I very well might read this. Especially if it has a newer edition.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Preparing For Power: America's Elite Boarding Schools: A fast read, and basically just a long research paper. I'd still recommend it though, based on the information you get and how quickly/easily it's relayed. Things have changed since the book was released, but then again, a lot of the people who are in power who went to boarding schools were in these schools during this era. I'd say it's a nice peek into a different world, and gives insight into the development of the "elitist" mindset.

Going off of this William Domhoff's Who Rules America is really good in it's sociological analysis. There's some tedious bits about how Social Network Theory works but other than that it's definitely recommended

• Locked thread