Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Croc 2 is the lazily named 1999 sequel to Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. After a two year gap from the release of the first game, Argonaut Software threw away most of the original mechanics in an attempt to revamp the boredom. For example, Croc can roll now! Wow! Croc 2's revamp isn't too much of a good thing, though, as the game is now crippled with difficulty wildly varying from easy to ridiculous and incredibly shoddy dialogue purposefully made in broken English.

The plot is mostly the same: Croc returns to rescue some more Gobbos from the reanimated corpse of the previous antagonist, Baron Dante. Unlike the first game, Croc now has to complete a different task in each level in order to complete it. The tasks range from winning a race to collecting a stolen sandwich. Each normal level (i.e., a level without a boss) also has five colored gems to collect. Once Croc collects all of the colored gems, he can warp to a bonus area and platform his way to collect a trophy. Puzzle pieces also return, but I have yet to find one. Just like last time, I'll be 100% completing this very, very dumb game. I'm playing this completely blind, and I'm still pretty bad at games, so most deaths will be edited out and I'll try to make the videos as linear as possible.

I'm Common Coder, and I'll be playing both the PlayStation and GameBoy Color versions of Croc 2. Previous let's play pal cranberm will join me for the first four PS1 videos, and Jazzahn will join me for the rest.

PlayStation Videos

Let's Play Croc 2 (1) (with cranberm)
Let's Play Croc 2 (2) (with cranberm)
Let's Play Croc 2 (3) (with cranberm)
Let's Play Croc 2 (4) (with cranberm)
Let's Play Croc 2 (5)
Let's Play Croc 2 (6)
Let's Play Croc 2 (7)
Let's Play Croc 2 (8)

GameBoy Color Videos

Let's Play Croc 2 GBC (1)

I Give Up
Let's Never Play Croc 2 Again (with Kennedy!)

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Holy poo poo I forgot about the blatant product placement!

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I never played Croc 2, but it does look somewhat better than the first one. Seems to have gone from being a poor man's Crash Bandicoot to being a poor man's Banjo-Kazooie.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New video!

Let's Play Croc 2 (2)
cranberm and I practice our opposites.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Man this game looks like a poor mans banjo-kazooie if it were on the ps1 instead of the 64.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
You guys make what I would call good-bad LPs. The worst episodes are the best by far.
e: I actually mean that as a compliment, somehow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

When I was 10 years old I was watching another kid play this game in computer camp and he constantly messed up the jump and I was like no no no move while you jump move and he hosed up again and I got angry and screamed "poo poo" in the middle of a crowded room with other 10-11 year olds and everyone got mad at me and I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

I don't have fond memories of this game. It sucked, too.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I replayed this recently and it was really bad, despite what I remember as a kid. I hope you like minecarts and slippery controls.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New video!

Let's Play Croc 2 (3)
I can-I can-I can't talk today.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
What's a Gobbo's favorite breakfast cereal?
Count Crocula!

What does a Gobbo hear when they take the phone off the hook??
The Croc-o-dialtone!!

What's a Gobbo's croc croc Croc???
Croc Cocaine!!!

Gobbo cROC CRoc CrOC????
CROOOOOCCCCCC!!!!

Thank you for reading my Let's Play Croc 2 fanfiction. I call it: Common Coder Descending a Staircase (into Madness)

Also the baby-talk dialogue is still stupid and the game itself doesn't look very good. I can't wait to see the ridiculously difficult sections. Those should be plenty more interesting.

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 22, 2014

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
...And now for the sequel. Excellent. Much better than the first.

And now, to live up to the nature of the LP, jokes!

What do the Gobbo's say when they want someone to be quiet?
Turn that croc-ophony down!

What do the Gobbo's like to eat for dinner?
Croc-oroni and cheese!

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New video!

Let's Play Croc 2 (4)
More rockin' Croc talk. We really have to stop these bad puns.

We finish the first world in this video, which means next week I'll release the first episode of Let's Play Croc 2 GBC with Jazzahn, which will cover all of its first world in less than twenty minutes.

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2014

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Look the only thing I can promise is that Croc 2 on GBC is terrible.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New GBC video!

Like I said in the OP, all of the GBC videos will be with Jazzahn/jazzhands.

Let's Play Croc 2 GBC (1)
Back in my day, let's players still talked about the game and their commentary actually made sense.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Let's playing Croc, a long term mistake.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I know that jump style. Usually that kind of 3D is isometric so you get a little indicator of how high up you are.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh man, didn't even notice this thread. I played the heck out of Croc when I was a kid but I only rented Croc 2 once for like a few days. I remember it being really good but I didn't get very far and I never touched it again so who knows!

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Just recorded a hot new track on the Croc 2 Album, coming soon. Unrelated Croc 2 is pretty bad y'all

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

:siren: New video! :siren:

Let's Play Croc 2 (5)

Sorry it's been so long. Format is changing a little bit: Jazzahn will now be the cohost for all videos from now on, unless I have a random one-off guest.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Common Coder posted:

Let's Play Croc 2 (5)

Sorry it's been so long. Format is changing a little bit: Jazzahn will now be the cohost for all videos from now on, unless I have a random one-off guest.

Good to see this coming back, even if we're missing Cranberm.

Also, I loved that Martha's Vineyard line.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

I've had a huge problem getting the next episode of Croc recorded, and after 2.5 hours of gameplay, the video ended up being 9 minutes and 40 seconds. Jazz can't record this one, so I'm looking for somebody that will be available to record with me tonight (around 8 or 9 PM ET). If you're interested, you can shoot me a PM on here or tweet at me @commoncodersa.

Please have a mic/headset if you're wanting to record with me, though!

e: If you can't contact me through either of those, you can even email me at commoncoder at gmail dot com. You can also add me on Skype; my username is commoncoder.

I know it's very short notice; sorry!

Jazz became available again! Sorry for the confusion.

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 12, 2014

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Let's Play Croc 2 (6)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wow. Managed to not notice this up to now, and I realize I barely remember this game. I got it about the same time as Gex 3, I think, and sort of played them both at the same time. Never ended up finishing either and always felt bad about that. Watching these videos... I think I never finished it because it's A Bad Game, and I just didn't realize it at the time! Jury's still out on Gex 3, though...

At least it controls better than the original. I'll give it that.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

When I played this for the first time, I thought it was great because the controls were better than the first one. That quickly went away since it's incredibly frustrating trying to 100% the game. It's far too easy to get a game over and unless you grind gems, you need to complete each level twice so you come back with the right items to get the other colored gems.

When it comes to how easy it is to game over, the developers had it right the first time. In the first game, health was tied to the gems you collected, but now we're stuck with a system where you really can't recover health except maybe once or twice per level. I mean, I'm really not a good Video Game Player, but when it takes me over an hour to beat most levels that edit down to 10 minutes, your game is lovely.

In general, I keep thinking about how much more fun Croc 1 was. That being said, they're both bad games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Common Coder posted:

In general, I keep thinking about how much more fun Croc 1 was.

Truly more damning words have yet to be written.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I was kind of expecting a "boss fight" there, not a "boss gets punked offscreen by NPCs who haven't mastered the first-person pronoun".

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New video!

Let's Play Croc 2 (7)

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2014

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god that music is the worst thing!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
That music is some real silent movie stuff right there. I can just imagine a Snidely Whiplash-type character tying a crate full of gobbos to the train tracks somewhere up ahead.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

RIP Betty the fish, you were the most pathetically sad boss I've ever seen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Croc is just kind of bein' a dick to everything that's not a gobbo. What was that fish even supposed to be doing?

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Glazius posted:

Croc is just kind of bein' a dick to everything that's not a gobbo. What was that fish even supposed to be doing?

He wasn't even close to causing any harm to anybody; he was off in an isolated area that you could only get to by hot air balloon. At this point, the Gobbos are just making Croc do their dirty work.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

New Video!

Let's Play Croc 2 (8)

I, uh, feel pretty bad about this one. I think I was being pretty mean, but Jazz liked the recording so here you go I guess.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Nah you're right, everyone sucks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I played a lot of this game because it was one of the few I owned as a tiny baby computer player, and I found large chunks of it insanely hard. I did manage to get 100% exactly once, a feat which I doubt I could replicate. I also recall just spending the first world doing the boat race level a bunch of times so I could grind out as many purchases as possible.

I guess it's time to find out if I was just bad at the game or whether this was actually the game being poo poo.

e: oh yeah if you didn't know you get 100 gems every time you finish the boat level, you could cut down on your replays of levels considerably if you just took advantage of that to stock up on poo poo from Swap Meet Pete's.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 20, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Why do they bother having caveman Gobbos when all Gobbos talk like freakin' cavemen anyway?! :psyduck:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think your next guest commentator should be Swap Meet Pete. Just that one sound file he plays over and over again while he talks. Like a one-button Pete soundboard you and Jazzhands can pretend to have conversations with.

I do like you ripping on this game though. It's nowhere near as good as the first Croc, and the first Croc wasn't really... good.

World 3 is marginally more interesting though. And world 4 is mercifully short.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Rodyle posted:

e: oh yeah if you didn't know you get 100 gems every time you finish the boat level, you could cut down on your replays of levels considerably if you just took advantage of that to stock up on poo poo from Swap Meet Pete's.

Around the 4th video I realized getting all 100 gems refills your hearts so I started grinding the world 1 boss, which I think might take slightly less time than it does to finish the boat race.

I'm also maxed out at 9 hearts now, but it doesn't help much since I was pretty close to dying while fighting the giant Crash Bandicoot in the latest video.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was certainly a hang-gliding section.

That was certainly a hitbox for collecting poo poo that you only filled half of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

:siren: I give up! :siren:

Croc 2 is a bad game. Croc 2 is a really bad game. I decided a while ago that I'm just not going to finish it, but I felt bad letting the thread get swept away to the archives without some kind of ending. So I made one!

Let's Never Play Croc 2 Again (with Kennedy!)

https://twitter.com/unrealmode/status/500689395029393408

I can't do it anymore.

• Locked thread