Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Those both look about as horrible as could be expected, and the music for the Manga show is shrill as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dehry posted:

I can't read Japanese all that well, but I thought I would try to discern what was happening from the images, but apparently that's an actual novel. Other than a picture of a girl drawing Neo-Dark Flame Master's weird tatoo thing, it coming alive and him opening a bag of chips while using his power level, I can't tell what is going on.

E: Some out of context illustrations

(Totally not Rikka's sister)

E2: I found a preview of the Manga (first issue is out on the 27th) and from what I am getting:

Dark Flame Master is just that.
The girl in the upper left seems to control a water element.
The lower left girl has a healing ability.
The lower right girl does a princess thing going on and has psychic powers.
Red haired girl on the cover has time control powers.

They literally describe the male character as a Chuunibyou, so it's even less creative than previously thought.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I don't think it's out of line to point out when something is creepy or misogynistic in its portrayal of female characters, especially when it's in a broadcast medium and the driving force of a consumer market. Like it or not, this kind of stuff has not just societal implications but also affects the creative process for those who work to produce animation. Some might want to dismiss this kind of discussion as feminist social justice warrior babble or white-knighting, but that doesn't make the problematic aspects and their effects just disappear.

I think overall people have become more aware of media representation, and there is a reactionary backlash (mostly amongst dudes who have never personally had to think about how their gender or race was being portrayed in popular culture before) against people who are calling for more thought in how subjects are addressed. Despite the stereotypes to the contrary, it's entirely possible to make something that doesn't denigrate people that isn't at the same time a humorless didactic treatise. There are plenty of great films and TV shows that have done so in the past.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm enjoying Haikyuu and Baby Steps a lot more than I was expecting.

I'm really wavering a lot with Captain Earth, although I'll probably watch out of sheer inertia.

Absolutely everyone and their dog needs to be watching Ping-Pong, which has fired on all cylinders from the start.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

My childhood is screaming in delight right now. This is what I always wanted~

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Space Dandy dub is fantastic, and I actually prefer it over the original. Sometimes you get good audio directors and script supervisors, and sometimes they're just asleep at the wheel and cast Vic Mignona.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The later episodes start making fun of the protagonist, who I genuinely wonder is autistic or something.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

uuuummm posted:

Thanks mate, time to buy more nendoroids. Now to wait for a Satsuki release.

I read somewhere that there are about 8 possible meanings to Ryuko depending on how you use the characters. I don't even know how the Japanese can handle this stuff and it certainly can't cross over into English too easily.

Still curious to hear Nui and Ragyo.

Nui is literally the verb for sewing. Harime can possibly mean "needle eye". The puns are not subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The wife also draws herself as a baby. Yes.

• Locked thread