Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I'm psyched for Mushishi, looking forward to Puchimas, and at least somewhat interested in One Week Friends, Coffin Princess, Mekaku City Actors, and maybe No Game No Life, but the season feels a bit thin for the number of series coming out and I usually think that people who start calling "bad season" in the pre-season thread are hyperventilating.

Every season is the worst season ever in these threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dehry posted:

http://www.moetron.com/2014/03/10/inou-battle-wa-nichijou-kei-no-naka-de-anime-adaptation-from-trigger/

This site actually has character preview images. I did a search for the manga, but it appears to be so unknown to the west that the announcement of an anime adaptation pretty much became the top result on Google.

So, literally Dark Flame Master.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dehry posted:

Book 3 has an illustration that looks like some new group

Her ability is introduced by healing a dead cat.

E:

...She can resurrect the dead, but spends all of her time doing some dumb larp harem poo poo? I thought that the line about her being reprehensible was a bit much, but now I kind of agree.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Moe bludgeons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

IIRC it was the best-selling LN series that hadn't already gotten an adaptation, so people were expecting it forever.

I read some of the translations and the main character is just plain hilarious. He's literally (minor spoilers you learn quickly) a ninja, special forces commando, genius magic engineer, and can disintegrate anything magical or material with his mind.

Also, his sister is the most beautiful person ever to exist and is completely subservient to and in love with him. I think the most hilarious part of the LNs is how weird they are about women in general, over even the ultra-nationalist rhetoric.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"Just shat his pants while holding a melon" Hulk should be a costume in marvel heroes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

madmac posted:

Couldn't get through more then 10 minutes of the awful LN magic academy show. "You're the most perfect person who ever lived, Oni-chaaaaaaan" is one of the most aggravating characters I've ever tried to sit through.

The best part is that she is completely correct in her belief. It is my favorite terrible ln series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

All you really need to know about the world of Mahouka is that Japan has the best technowizards and is therefore the best. Nobody else really matters. :smug:

Also, the chinese are innately inferior in every way and belligerent toward glorious Nippon. The author has some serious issues.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I forgot about another hilarious aspect of mahouka. You know that creepy and overly detailed speech the ninja made about the sister? That is how the ln's describe female characters whenever they appear. Most of the cast is female, and as such these masturbatory descriptions of girls easily take up more space than the masturbatory technobabble and masturbatory nationalism combined.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is there some kind of story behind Majin Bone? I find it difficult to believe that it was produced in 2014.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

Putting in the Coffin Princess for the 3 ep rule. Not totally sold on the characters or setting yet, but it was stylish as gently caress let's hope it carries past the budget heavy beginning. I did absolutely love they wrecked a shop then actually paid the damages

e:also what's up with anime and PTRD anti tank rifles? It was hilariously ineffective against armor and you had to have two people carry it.

It is a very big gun. A bigger gun is more impressive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I watched the first episode of Kindaichi R, and I really can't believe that this is a popular and long-running franchise. It is just so incredibly bland. Bland protagonist, bland female lead, bland mystery. Every single plot point required a different completely stupid coincidence. The modeling agent just happened to drive by a girl who just happened to be identical to a missing model and then when that bland girl got abducted the bland protagonist just happened to find the model in a nearby park who then randomly decided to trust him completely. See, if any of those utterly stupid events hadn't happened, then blandy wouldn't have been present at a murder mystery.

At least Detective Conan has the distinction of being completely nuts. This is just lazy. Oh, and blandy has a horrible nasal voice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

I've read 6 volumes of the Kindaichi manga, and watched about, uh, 500 episodes of Detective Conan. Kindaichi is way, way more gruesome and bloody. Much darker arcs. This particular anime case doesn't seem interesting at the moment, but I'm sure it'll spin out of control and have headless corpses and axes in the face soon enough! Mostly I'm curious to see if their buddy's constant video filming will prove to be a ~vital clue~ later on. My arm would hurt so bad keeping it raised like that for six hours straight.

None of that disproves any of my assertions about the franchise. It can be gruesome and bloody but still have a lazy narrative dependent on coincidences and bland characters. Unless this was all anime-original content I can safely say that Kindaichi isn't for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is deeply unsettling to see how completely submissive and dependent the sister is on Godking Gary Stu. In print it was easier to take it as an unintentional joke at the author's expense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even the elfen lied anime cut out the incontinent girl. Brynhildr isn't that bad though, just dull.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I remember watching part of Elfen Lied years and years ago and I'm pretty sure this statement is incorrect seeing as I remember it and never read the manga.

There might have been incontinence, yes. But in the manga, there was a girl who wore diapers and constantly wet herself. Thankfully, she wasn't in the anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eej posted:

Saw the second episode of Mahouka and I'm not sure how to feel. I think I've been watching enough anime that I can mostly ignore the completely transparent not-actually-incest setup. The overpowered protagonist isn't so bad as long as he remains kind of stick in the mud instead of most obnoxious person ever. The art is nice enough and if I keep watching it I'll probably have a better time than I did watching Kyoukai no Kanata.

Oh no, they are absolutely siblings. No adoption or anything involved. The sister totally wants to bone the brother and there is never the slightest hint of ambiguity about it. This comes up a lot, as she never does or says anything unrelated to him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He is smarter and stronger than anyone else alive, but the education system just can't measure how special he is, maaaaan. It really seems like the author has an axe to grind about high school. I think Tatsuya is hilarious, but I kind of legitimately hate the author based purely on the ln's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I haven't watched it, but if by the second episode there is already a completely naked 11 year old girl it is safe to say that it is trash. Why the hell is anyone defending open pedophilia? Find a different anime forum for that poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really liked the fight on the bridge in episode 2 of Chaika. The mc is skilled, but not overpowered. He simply outfought the guy without any special tricks, but even then it wasn't one-sided or easy. Also, a sword was actually used to cut a guy and being stabbed in the arm was a debilitating wound. Blades being dangerous but not essentially magic is incredibly rare in anime. The anti-tank rifle magic is dumb and slow, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the good shows have their own threads already. That leaves bitching about all of the garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dan7el posted:

I haven't watched first episodes of some of the animes I'm planning on looking at. However:

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns
Watchable. A tad over dramatic, but watchable. My only beef is that, if the Japanese are going to go somewhere and solve crimes, why can't they go to the USA. I mean,the USA is the center of the world, right? They should come here to solve crimes.

If some random teenager who spoke english poorly tried to butt his way in to a murder scene in the US he'd just get beaten half to death, tazed, and then charged with multiple crimes. Maybe not in that order. Hell, he'd deserve it for once. No way any charges would stand up in court if some tourist had been rummaging around the crime scene.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Thread up for magic irregular. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628565

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

It's a fairly stark before/after transition centering around 2005; jump into the archives to get an idea for just how bad it used to be. You don't see TVIV/CD doing an annual "rear end shot of the year" thread after all.

That sort of poo poo did give us the dearly departed ins anely sexy anime thread, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Episode 6 of Akuma no Riddle was pretty :tviv:, and here I was ribbing on it for being show about assassins where no-one died. Someone make a thread, I'm too lazy.

I thought it was silly how the main character was a famous assassin who had never killed anyone and then continued to not kill people as the show went on. All of the other assassins were varying degrees of ruthless and bloodthirsty. Even the class rep was perfectly willing to kill in spite of her crippling incompetence. I have not seen the latest episode yet, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Since the season is about three quarters done, anything that I'm "missing out on"? I'm watching Chaika, JoJo, Sidonia no Kishi and Love Live right now.

And a second question, anything look promising for the summer yet?

Just ping pong and mushishi, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

There's also Nanana's Buried Treasure of you want to watch Anime High School Indiana Jones

It is really more like a dumber version of phi brain than indiana jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

No it's not, but it is rather... confused. It isn't entirely sure what it wants to be and ends up trying to be everything all at once, so all of its great ideas end up a jumbled mess of "something is happening, but I don't know what."

Phi brain is dumb as hell, but it knows what it is and can tell a coherent story. Nanana is not written any better, but it is a whole lot less coherent. So yeah, I'd say it is a dumber 'urban puzzle-based dungeon' story than phi brain. Maybe the light novels are completely different and very good not just by comparison, but on their own merits. That isn't very likely given that we are talking about light novels, of course. However, this is a discussion about the anime.

• Locked thread