Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Wow, all kinds of crazy poo poo is getting second seasons lately. I'm guessing more Spice and Wolf or Kino's Journey is too much to ask for, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Movie 6 was the weird school detective mystery, right? I actually kind of like that one...

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Wasp doesn't look that bad...

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Selector Infected Wee-Kurosu~ was like Yu-gi-oh having a three-way with Madoka and Mai Hime. The first episode was surprisingly not terrible, but I couldn't get over how jarring the juxtaposition of the deliberately SHAFTy apocalyptic imagery and the hilariously static real-world backgrounds was.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Blade and Soul is the most generic ~fantasy~ goddamn thing. It's not offensively terrible, aside from some of the outfits, but holy poo poo is it dull. Leave it to Gonzo to make an anime about a lady murdering things with knives boring somehow. I do like that the main character is basically just a silent 90s videogame protagonist, though.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 4, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

UGH. Funimation is streaming Ping-Pong.

Wait, really? That's a surprise. They've been sitting on Tatami Galaxy for like 4 loving years.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 4, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Finished another round of new shows:

Captain Earth - Basically Star Driver 2.0, this is definitely an Enokido show. Which means it will probably be weirdly introspective, and have a kick-sass OST. This will probably be the best non-Mushishi anime of the season.

Dragonar Academy - I have an incessant need to watch anything involving dragons, okay? Though it is shockingly light on fanservice for what is basically reverse Zero no Tsukaima. It is real heavy on tryhard, though. I didn't think you could get more generic fantasy than Blade and Soul, I stand corrected. At least the CG dragons don't look like total poo poo.

Akuma no Riddle - Continuing this season's trend of cute-girls-doing-grimdark-things. There's some interesting cinematography and art design at work here, the show is at least pretty nice to look at. I think everything is gonna hinge entirely on how straight they play the premise, though. There's potential for the story to go interesting places, but I'm not counting on it. 3 episode test.

But Still the World is Beautiful - I'm getting Spice & Wolf and FMA vibes from this, which is fine by me. It's a little heavier on the comedy than I thought it would be, but the heroine is an interesting character and the potential for political machinations is a good hook. I'll probably be sticking with this.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Hahaha Black Bullet is like really terrible Gunslinger Girl fanfiction. "What if the girls were alien/human hybrids instead of cyborgs?! What if the cold, calculating adult handlers were replaced with an angsty teenage straight-man?! What if they fought giant alien bugs instead of terrorists? What if instead of sobering introspection, we made it a wacky action-comedy?! Yeah, yeah! That's way better!!"

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the only high school series I would be super happy to see is one set in the Hero Academy from that one episode of Tiger & Bunny.

Hopefully starring the super-sweating-power guy.

Speaking of spin-offs, Soul Eater Not sure is a Soul Eater thing. That somehow manages to have more yuri undertones than the actual yuri anime of the season. Also, for some reason taking the old cast out of the original artstyle lands them right in the uncanny valley for me.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm surprised Funimation didn't pick it up, considering they licensed the original.

They did, actually. The simulcast is only available to subscribers, though.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Mercrom posted:

I don't know exactly where the plot of The World is Still Beautiful is going but it seems more generic than I hoped for. It's still nice and kind spirited though.

I can't really disagree, but I thought it was a good episode. Nike is still a pretty fun heroine, in any case. So I made a thread.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

uuuummm posted:

Just watched the 2nd episode of Mahouka. I find the main character and his sister too 'perfect' to the point that they're boring. It actually kind of disgusts me. Am I just too bitter?

No. The dude from Mahouka makes Kirito look like Shinji Ikari.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Elfen Lied is like the anime equivalent of the kid who lights neighborhood pets on fire to show everyone how hardcore he is.

What I saw of Brynhildr wasn't quite that bad, but it wasn't exactly instilling much confidence that it would actually be worth watching.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

paragon1 posted:

The opening scene features the naked female lead ripping off a defenseless woman's head just to give you an idea.

A defenseless woman who shows up on screen in the most hilariously contrived and bafflingly stupid way possible.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Overlord K posted:

As for my other Wednesday show, Chaika, they are reallllly skipping a lot of the character development stuff

I like the main dude's characterization thus far, though. He's basically a maladjusted ex-military guy whose only skillset revolves around being a magic ninja, so he jumps at the chance to be The Dark Knight so he can go back to stabbing people. It's not only legitimately interesting, but almost pointedly topical as well.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

This season we have new Mushishi, new Jojo's, a new Yuasa anime, and a new Bones mecha show by the guy who wrote Utena. And that's on top of a handful of reasonably watchable popcorn-muncher material.

Someone explain to me how this isn't like an objectively good season of anime.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

It does makes sense. You have actual high-schoolers seeking escapism from a soul-crushing society basically telling them to put their personal life aside and study to become productive members of society. And the adults seeking escapism from the responsibility of that reality to the point in their lives where they feel they still had a choice in the matter.

Western media basically does the exact same thing with college.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Shinbo basically works for Shaft training animators when he's not directing stuff. Shinbo may have founded the whole Shaft aesthetic, but he's basically created a brand new generation of head-tilters to replace him when he's retired.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

jackofarcades posted:

I always thought they did high school settings so they could just everyone in the same two outfits

They hardly need to keep the setting actually in the school for that. See: every "girl whisked away to fantasy kingdom" anime ever.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I feel like Mahouka is too mean-spirited to be funny. Stuff like SAO and Index is just dumb teen validation fantasy, but Mahouka is more like a wearing trench-coats to school and writing in your actual Death Note revenge fantasy. The message is less "You can be special too, and get all the girls!" and more like "Your ability to min/max videogame combat systems is inherently valuable and the world is objectively wrong for not appreciating you. We'll show them!"

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I dunno, I feel like the subtext of Ragyo's bad-touching is actually more toxic than the straightforward otaku wank material in NGNL...

But hey that's off-topic, so I'll also mention that the fascinatingly dull Blade and Soul continues Gonzo's concerted efforts to prove that Gankutsuou was a total fluke.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Namtab posted:

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that it wants to be Gunslinger Girls so bad it hurts?

Nope. I beat you to that little observation 15 page ago. Though Gunslinger Girl is hardly the only thing Black Bullet wants to be. Which is probably why it's such a terribly stupid mess of a show.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

It's gonna be the long-awaited Illya route, obviously.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

In other words, they're gonna give it the 4kids Treatment. Can't have our impressionable youth exposed to the existence of rice balls.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

quote:

Om-rice (Omelet with rice) is now pancakes

gently caress, I was just kidding about the riceballs!

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Namtab posted:

You can fight me with your actual examples of good dubs, but I rest easily knowing I represent the true anime experience.

I wish I knew enough Japanese to watch anime raw... How do you get Japanese cable channels, though?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Didn't the same sub group put out a Girls und Panzer script in like half-German? I just kind of assumed they were trollsubbing.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Funimation has actually started doing the whole properly enunciated Japanese thing in their dubs recently and honestly, I find it to be super awkward. English and Japanese are just too different in terms of cadence and flow. It's pretty much the equivalent of switching to a proper Mexican accent every time you said the word "tortilla".

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I really hope Mahouka doesn't become the next SAO.

Thankfully, the western fanbase doesn't seem to have quite bought into it with the same fervor yet. No Game No Life on the other hand...

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Eej posted:

What do you mean? NGNL's anime adaptation isn't doing very well because it's not perverted enough to pander to the LN readers/otaku crowd but it's a little too much for the regular watcher crowd (as evidenced by this very forum). Which sucks, because it's great.

Well, it's the most watched anime of the season on MAL. For perspective, it has as many watchers as Mahouka and Jojo's combined. The discussion threads on reddit have almost 4-times as many comments and upvotes as Mahouka. I don't know what your metric for "regular" anime watcher is, but from my experience it's pretty much the epitome of what casual anime fans will eat up.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Eej posted:

I heard the word out of Japan was that the reception is kinda tepid compared to the following of the LN. My metric for a regular show would be "can have a thread on this forum" though.

I was talking specifically about the western reception, i.e. mostly North America/Europe. Also, ADTRW seems like a pretty terrible metric for "average anime forum". Arguably the whole point is to avoid normal anime forum bullshit.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If that were true there would only be four, maybe five threads for shows this season.

I didn't say we were actually good at it :colbert:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

MadHat posted:

Yes, also the prime example of "How the gently caress is that good?"

Eh, I think Bakemonogatari is the king of "bafflingly good in the face of all common sense" LN adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Wasn't Hyouka just a regular run-of-the-mill novel?

• Locked thread