Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm psyched for Mushishi, looking forward to Puchimas, and at least somewhat interested in One Week Friends, Coffin Princess, Mekaku City Actors, and maybe No Game No Life, but the season feels a bit thin for the number of series coming out and I usually think that people who start calling "bad season" in the pre-season thread are hyperventilating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

That's what I thought. Even if Eva is Anno's brainchild, it's still Gainax that produced the original stuff and owns the copyrights.
More likely it's the production committee that jointly holds the rights. Remember, studios rarely directly foot the entire bill for a series, so it's going to be a work for hire and the rights are held by the employer. In Japan when the employer is a juridical person rather than a natural one the term of the copyright is limited to 50 years, but cinematographic works have a term of 70 years and I'm not clear on how the two rules interact.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is The Irregular that series that went into spergy amounts of detail about an automated transit system that has two-seater pods that receive power from the track they're moving on?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Redcrimson posted:

Selector Infected Wee-Kurosu~ was like Yu-gi-oh having a three-way with Madoka and Mai Hime. The first episode was surprisingly not terrible, but I couldn't get over how jarring the juxtaposition of the deliberately SHAFTy apocalyptic imagery and the hilariously static real-world backgrounds was.
Selector Infected WIXOSS: Angelic Slayer

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Redcrimson posted:

Blade and Soul is the most generic ~fantasy~ goddamn thing.
Yup, seems like another procedurally-generated anime script.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro has the worst protagonist ever.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AfroSquirrel posted:

Less than one minute into Mahouka, and a 'future world map' comes up that promises great things for this series, such as East EU of France, UK, Italy, and Spain and West EU of the rest of Europe, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, and Syria
I about fell over laughing when I saw that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mahou Shoujo Taisen somehow managed to be even less memorable than Hokago no Pleiades, which is quite an achievement. Lo how the mighty are fallen.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

If you read the summary for Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun and thought "that sounds like garbage" you were wrong! It's loving awful garbage. They apparently ran out of budget after drawing the keyframes because for huge sections of the episode there is basically no animation.

edit: To be clear, the show would be garbage even with great animation. With what it has it becomes some of garbage personification
The entire show is just the animators trying to use shaky-cam and zoom-ins to hide the fact that all that's moving are mouths.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edward IV posted:

Even the still screenshots look weird to me. It's like there is an inkling of depth to the models since they're 3D but they haven't been colored or shaded to reflect that depth. It's like they've been shaded and colored as if they were 2D drawings and that discrepancy stands out to me.

Also, I don't know much about CGI but why is it that the frame rate is so low? I figured that the computers and use of 3D models would allow for interpolation in between key frames thus more frames and less manpower. Or do they have such little time, money, manpower, and equipment that they can't afford the relatively longer setup and rendering times? Or is the software they're using so bad that they can't use or depend on interpolation? I guess computer generated motion blur isn't an option either?
From what I saw in Arpeggio and how they handled things, I'd say that the models for human motion aren't good enough yet to look right if you want to rely on automated in-betweening. If the rate of movement is too constant then the movement looks mechanical, which you saw a bit in the first episode, especially with some of the minor characters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mahouka desperately needs a broader color palette, snappier dialogue, and better pacing, and I'm not sure if I can even keep watching it as a Bad Anime. I stuck with Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere just to see how deep that rabbit hole went (insanely deep, it turned out), but that at least had a sort of manic energy to it. Power fantasies can be enjoyable if the author is having fun, but Mahouka seems determined to be joyless and blandly matter-of-fact about it. It's like a self-insert TPS report.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Elfen Lied did have one of the all-time great OPs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If there is a dubbed version we could treat it like a MST3K but with bad anime. MAT3K if you will.

Add everything by Gonzo except for Gankutsuou, and all marvel anime and we'll have enough material for years.
Don't forget that soda can harem series.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The first episode of M3 felt like it was breezing past any meaningful or comprehensible introduction to its characters in order to get to fight scenes that weren't a particularly good payoff. Like how the temp worker is cleaning toilets at the school and watching the robots spar, then she's suddenly muscling her way into the elevator with some of the students who have been selected for the training program like she's trying to sneak in and pass herself off as someone who's supposed to be there, and only a couple scenes later do we find out that she was there because she really had been selected for the same program. Or the mess that is the stuff that has to do with the main guy's past. It seems like bad direction is going to sink the series.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Patter Song posted:

Mostly I absolutely love seeing a Japanese (of all things!) show accurately pronounce Julius Caesar's name when I haven't seen any media in any language do so. Hearing someone say Guy-ous Iul-i-ous Kai-zar as his pronunciation for Gaius Julius Caesar made me an instant fan no matter what the other content. They even didn't stick a random J sound onto Julius!
Legion members in Fallout: New Vegas say Kai-zar.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The original Tenchi OVAs were some of the first anime I saw (probably the first sub), but I couldn't get more than a couple episodes into the third set. I don't even know how it ended, partially because I'm not sure I want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Tenchi ends up marrying like everyone and it turns out the Masaki family tree is more of a family bush.

Seriously, like every character is related.
How does that work for Ryoko, unless you count Washu as Sasami's sister because of Tsunami?

• Locked thread