Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Vaguely interested in both the noitaminA shows, although I've felt let down by the stuff they've picked up in recent seasons. The rest, well, the thread title says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ulta posted:

At one point two characters make a joke about raping a girl, the gist of which is "We need to rape this girl because that is what the viewers want"
I took that as a swipe at other manga/anime that would actually have that scene rather than an indication of where this show is actually going. I quite liked the rest of the episode. Nike seems like an interesting character and I usually enjoy odd-couple stuff if it's done well.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rexides posted:

Also, that amnesia thing on One Week Friends is just too oddly specific. I can understand having a short-term memory moving window of one week, but having it reset every Monday and only affecting your memories of friends is so contrived that it's impossible to take it seriously.
Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous as well. It's only that specific so she can keep going to school, I guess. Also so the protagonist can be remembered when she sees him like family, since they're the exception to the rule.

The art style irritated me as well - I can understand blushing when you're actually embarrassed or flushed, but every character having feverish rosy cheeks constantly was a bit off-putting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Serious Frolicking posted:

I watched the first episode of Kindaichi R, and I really can't believe that this is a popular and long-running franchise. It is just so incredibly bland. Bland protagonist, bland female lead, bland mystery. Every single plot point required a different completely stupid coincidence. The modeling agent just happened to drive by a girl who just happened to be identical to a missing model and then when that bland girl got abducted the bland protagonist just happened to find the model in a nearby park who then randomly decided to trust him completely. See, if any of those utterly stupid events hadn't happened, then blandy wouldn't have been present at a murder mystery.

At least Detective Conan has the distinction of being completely nuts. This is just lazy. Oh, and blandy has a horrible nasal voice.
That's a shame, I was sort of interested in this since I like detective stuff.

Mercrom posted:

Knights of Sidonia is the worst thing I've seen in a while. The animation is absolutely atrocious outside of the one fight scene, and the story so far just seems like a very anime version of Starship Troopers, fascism included.

The whole thing about poorly animating ugly 3d models and removing three quarters of the frames needs to stop and I hope the show bombs really loving hard. Aside from the pretty backgrounds this makes RWBY look like Pixar. I am angry about anime.
Yeah, I disliked the manga so I definitely won't be watching this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mercrom posted:

When naked 11 year olds and rapist protagonists isn't enough to put you off from watching I think it's time to take a break from anime for a while.
Every season there'll be shows like this that people claim to be watching in order to enjoy the 'trainwreck', when really, they unironically love this poo poo.

Ping Pong and Mushishi mean this is a better season than most already, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, Jojo is living up to the hype so far, which is impressive when you consider how massive that hype was after Parts 1 and 2.

I never finished the first season but I definitely want to go back to it. I remember liking what I saw and I'm not sure why I stopped watching.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think a universal constant, no matter where you live, is that 99% of all media is shite. It may come in different flavours: paedo/high school shite in Japan, Disney and superhero shite in the US. I live in the UK but I honestly don't know what's produced here nowadays apart from My Mad Fat Diary, which is actually a good show aimed at teens. Fortunately, very little of it takes place in high school.

tonberrytoby posted:

Well maybe there should be more American made high school stuff.
If there wasn't a high demand for high school translators would translate Japanese stuff that doesn't take place in high school.
Well, they do, but there isn't nearly as much of it out there. There are plenty of translated mangas about adults with jobs, but far fewer animes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
One of the things I like about ADTRW is that it doesn't seem have nearly as many creeps and paedos as other places where anime is discussed. There are some though, and it's hilarious to see embarrassed siscons falling over themselves to justify watching a gross show.

In better news, apparently the new Yoshiura film, Patema Inverted, is being released on DVD tomorrow in Japan. Apparently it's been licensed for other countries as well, but I can't see anything concrete about that. I'm pissed that I didn't get to see it in the cinema last year.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Delusibeta posted:

I do know that All the Anime has picked up that licence for the UK market ages ago, and had been touring it around cinemas across the Home Nations for quite a few months now. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if they release it in the next couple of months.

[Edit] Nope, they're still touring. UK release Q4 this year.

Fuckssake. I really should've gone down to see the Edinburgh one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Congrats on your SUPERIOR ANIME TASTE you should get a medal or something. It is funny though I'll give you that, but I can feel the smug coming off of you.
Thanks. :mmmhmm:

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

normal and well adjusted is an accomplishment
You're setting the bar for this pretty low if you mean "not a person who watches shows with juvenile cameltoe".

Delusibeta posted:

Considering All The Anime also organises Scotland Loves Anime in the autumn, I'll be genuinely surprised if it doesn't get another showing in either Glasgow or Edinburgh before release.
I'll have to keep an eye on this. I'd definitely consider getting a train down.

a kitten posted:

Oh wow, I had forgotten Patema Inverted even existed, so thanks for reminding me and double thanks for letting me know I might be able to watch it reasonably soon.
Yeah, it seems to be remarkably low-profile given that the director is pretty popular and the trailer looks great.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Wark Say posted:

I'm hoping that, at some point within my lifetime, I get to see an anime adaptation of one of Murakami's works. Especially if it's in the style of Blue Literature.
That is my dream. An anime Kafka On the Shore would be amazing. I think my first ever post on ADTRW was asking for recommendations of anime 'like a Murakami novel'. I think Tuxedo Catfish recommended Tatami Galaxy, which spoiled me for a long time.

I'd also love adaptations of Inspector Imanishi Investigates, The Professor's Beloved Equation, and Devotion of Suspect X.

All of the anime I've seen based on novels/actual writing has been good (Tatami Galaxy, LotGH, Welcome to the NHK, Blue Literature, etc).

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, that is moronic. I thought Yoshiura's email was very diplomatic, though. The whole project seems kind of amateurish, but I'm still looking forward to the end product.

• Locked thread