Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zandracon posted:

Whatever majin bone is, here's a trailer for it. it looks like one of those kids merch shows??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKc1VPlGTA

It's another attempt to make a huge franchise by Bandai/Toei, its getting an arcade+card game tie-in. Basically its just another dumb kids show. Also, half of it is CG. The hilarious part is the original character designs are by Murata (One Punch Man) but that wont mean much in the end since he isn't doing the anime or CG chara designs.

So uh Ping Pong should be sweet assuming Yuasa managed to find some staff to work on it after Dandy stole all his friends, a couple of the regulars are confirmed (team Dandy 9 is, for one), but Tatsunoko kind of sucks 99% of the time so hopefully they give him a decent animation team to work with :/ Yuasa was literally begging for episode directors on twitter a few months ago which is really really worrying but now he's back to only begging for animators so thats a step u--- oh god why

JoJo will kick rear end, an outsource studio managed to leak they were working on episode 1 back in November so its entirely possible production is way ahead especially compared to the first 2 parts so it might even look great (ok, better).

Love Live is the only idol show I can tolerate that isn't a kids show named Aikatsu so definitely watching S2. Mushi-shi S2 maybe if someone yells at me to finish S1 enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

New Ping Pong CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaDOZkLMSs

Very Yuasa.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is this going to be entirely in mandarin? That would be an interesting thing to do with an anime.

These CMs are for specific characters; today's was for the character Kon "China" Wenga, who I assume is Chinese. I'm going to guess they went with Mandarin for this CM because of that. The entire show wont be in a non-Japanese language.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

From what I understand its getting decently close to the manga so they probably want to end it before it gets too close.

Also, the show gets really good TV ratings; if anything I'd expect it to show back up eventually when there's more manga.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

That's honestly what I think they should do. As awesome as KLK's style is, the budget issues are really apparent. Maybe it'll be their Haruhi and they'll end up swimming in money, who knows.

megax can tell you more but anime doesn't work this way. Studios don't make a ton of money from LN adaptations due to the way anime is funded (production committees etc).

Also KLK doesn't have budget issues.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.m3-project.com/

New spring show.

Director: Junichi Sato
Series Comp: Mari Okada
Mecha Design: Shoji Kawamori
Studio: Satelight

Sato why, why this.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zorak posted:

Romaine mentions that kawamori is still tweaking the mechanical design, whiiich is not a good thing when its probably airing in less than a month.

Starts on April 21st, which is pretty drat late for a Spring show. Feels like a super rushed project that somehow ended up Spring instead of Summer.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This year is absolutely nuts in terms of big-name shows, even if a lot of them are sequels. Winter has had some of the worst overall sales of any season but Spring/Summer/Fall all have a couple insanely popular things.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Ikuhara's a weird dude.

I'm pretty sure an anime for this was supposed to be planned at some point? Hopefully that pans out.

Yeah there's an anime coming eventually in theory.

In fact there was even some sort of footage shown like over a year ago now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Just a heads up that it is April 1st in Japan and don't believe anything you hear about unless the source is extremely reliable.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It was, in fact, always for real.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Disk Wars is Toei's ugliest show in a long time which is funny since they specialize in ugly.

The character designer is just bad.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Hey now, Kyousougiga was a really good looking show.

It was my favorite show of 2013 and I don't disagree. I stand by my statement though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The writer for Disk Wars is someone named キング・リュウ which is probably King Liu or something similar. There's absolutely no information about this person and he's never done anything anime-related before.

Your theory may be correct.

In happier news, Trigger has begun work on LWA2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2/posts/803825

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Toei is working on a whole lot of shows this season, and it's obvious that their animators are stretched thin. All their shows look worse than usual and Majin Bone is probably the least important to them. I haven't bothered to check but the staff is probably pretty good and could make something better, but since they're trying to get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible it ends up lovely.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the barely animated stuff Toei is putting out this season as it's kind of charming.

The director is really good, can't say much about everyone else.

The first episode of Majin Bone actually had decent character animation in the 2D parts and looked quite fine, the CG just looks super out of place and cheap because well, its CG. I didn't watch episode 2.

The most well produced episode 1 of Toei's 4 new shows is the Sumo one.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Murata. He did the original character designs, not the anime adapted character designs, and the chances of him doing KA are pretty slim.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eej posted:

No Game No Life seemed kinda fun and interesting then the episode preview happened and then I noticed it's tagged as "Ecchi" in My Anime List and I suddenly feel kinda :geno: about the whole thing.

The pantyshots didn't tip you off or what?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0062079

Some stills posted from Koike's (REDLINE) new Lupin movie. Style looks great, here's hoping he gets a ton of budget to work with.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not sure it actually had keyframes to be honest.

It had four animation directors and five key animators. Think about that one for a bit.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Sanzigen, who did Arpeggio, have outright stated they made it low framerate to resemble non-CG anime.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-12/gurren-lagann-gets-stage-play-in-tokyo-in-october

This can only be hilarious and amazing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Boots on the ground over there report time travel has not been invented yet. Will keep you updated.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm told that Love Live is actually pretty good because it's an idol anime that doesn't sugar coat the profession.

Love Live isn't even about the idol industry or professional idols, really. Its about a bunch of girls who find out their school is going to shut down at the end of the year because there aren't any applicants, so they decide to form an idol club and give some performances to see if they can attract new students.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2014/04/18/kiji/K20140418007998030.html

Japanese Labour Standards Bureau concludes that an A-1 staff member who committed suicide in 2010 did it due to depression from being overworked. He was working 600 hours a month. This guy wasn't an animator, but a line producer - basically responsible for coordinating everything, sort of the unsung heroes of anime production. A-1 is notorious for having awful scheduling on their anime production but that is still an insane amount of work (20 hours a day, what the hell).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

nielsm posted:

Watched Mahouka ep 3. It's a really amazing show. It has so many things that could be so interesting, yet still managed to be incredibly dull. I stuck around after ep 1 and 2 because I thought it seemed things could be interesting, but it manages to just not make it. Is it the source material that's so bad, or is it more due to an incompetent director?
Also, that episode features the sister character stripping to underwear for the MC to do some magic calibration stuff, and when he fails to emote sufficiently she seems to more or less kill him and he instantly revives having forgotten what happened. No, Japan. You could most likely have done without that.

Too little and too much. Dropped.

Mahouka has good staff, the source material is just that bad. And yeah the whole passive regenerate-from-anything is just another one of his billions of different magic powers.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zorak posted:

Yes, but also it is pretty improbable that literally everyone who buys this poo poo (since these things are selling millions of copies) are paupers who interact with no other human beings ever :ssh:

Eh I don't disagree but most of them don't really sell millions.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/top-selling-light-novels-in-japan-by-series/2013

Although if anyone was wondering how Mahouka has an adaptation, well, there were two series in the top 22 which didn't have one prior to this season and they both do now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yuki Yase is directing Mekaku, Shinbo's name is just attached to it like its attached to every single Shaft show. Go look up how many of their recent shows have two directors.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

They adapted the entire first volume of the LN into the first episode and I don't think they're slowing down, so its not surprising you feel that way.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is Lady Jewelpet. Its not very good. The end.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Atlus just announced a Persona 4 Golden anime TV series for Summer.

All of my what.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It has new staff, it'll be completely reanimated etc.

A-1 instead of AIC ASTA.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErH-MEgQHW4

Dunno man. Dunno.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

HellCopter posted:

:confuoot: I guess it's whimsical enough. Isn't it a bit odd to bring over a 40-year-old series, though? Are they gonna start from the beginning?

They'd probably just use the anime that started in 2005.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you want to know what Kancolle is, type the name of basically any major Japanese ship from WW2 into Google (not Google Images, just Google) and then laugh (or possibly cry).

Except Shimakaze, don't do Shimakaze.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Eotena thing was a joke by the editor (not the translator) and the huge wall of text he wrote about it was designed to irritate people.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

Instead, one of 'em will now be a guy. Somehow.

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Prince_Uranus

aers
Feb 15, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone already thought about it, in way too much detail, in 1998.

Gotta explain away the gay somehow.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

K-ON news: The second season begins airing on Disney Channel Japan next week! Tune in weekdays at 9:30 PM JST, right after Phineas and Ferb! If K-ON isn't enough kids music show for you, you can watch Disney sitcom Shake it up! immediately afterwards.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eej posted:

What do you mean? NGNL's anime adaptation isn't doing very well because it's not perverted enough to pander to the LN readers/otaku crowd but it's a little too much for the regular watcher crowd (as evidenced by this very forum). Which sucks, because it's great.

NGNL is one of the most successful LN adaptations ever, actually. You can't just judge LN adaptations by the BD/DVD sales metric.

It made vol 1 of the LN go from 7k sales to 90k, probably 100k as of next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why did that person buy the bluray 55 times?

The show is good. First season was better than the current second season though. The game is also good and has a very friendly F2P business model.

Vol 1 has an event ticket and he's insane.

• Locked thread