Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

Was Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo actually good? I've had classmates rave to me about it and apparently it's relatively well-liked on the internet.

A very run-of-the-mill anime adaptation of a Light Novel by J.C. Staff with (surprise!) a Tsundere character somewhere within the Main Character ratio.

The 3 main characters were all incredibly boring, and yes: This includes the girl whose appeal is that she can't take care of her daily needs, because she's special. It kinda pissed me off that they opted to sugarcoat in the fact and didn't come straight out and say what her "deal" was, even though it was so bleedingly obvious. Some of the side characters were interesting and there were moments where it was obviously looking like something out of Toradora! (a much better show), especially how there was an actual spark in character relationships at times. Also, it was hilarious to listen to Takahiro Sakurai play two very different characters in two very different shows (this and Psycho-Pass) and how his character was much better written here.

So, to answer your question: A pretty average show with a few redeeming traits. If you have nothing else to watch, knock yourself out, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

While I have no doubts on how this is going to turn out (garbage, most likely), sometimes I find it somewhat peculiar just how, for some shows, they seem to deliberately go out of their way and pick voice actors that look almost exactly like the character. :crossarms:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

For the few who might be interested, the Ah! My Goddess manga (which has been serialized for a little over 25 years) is ending in April.

I feel so goddamn old. I remember hearing for the first time about this franchise a little after entering middle school. Hopefully it'll be a proper ending.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

And for everyone wondering: no, Anno isn't voice acting himself, Yamadera Kouchi is doing him (Tienshinhan, Togusa, Spike Spiegel, etc).

Aw, man! They really dropped the ball with that voice casting: While I'm sure Megumi Hayashibara will be great, it would have been sorta interesting if they had gotten Rie Tanaka so we could get a real life couple portraying these two.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone still have that picture of Ikuhara holding the penguin plushies? Google Image search turns nothing but pictures with increasingly escalating lesbian subtext.

vvvv e: That one I hadn't seen! :allears: But the way I remember it, it seemed as if Ikuhara was being overwhelmed by the penguins themselves.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 28, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Largepotato posted:

It's the seasonal Youko Hikasa tits show, I doubt they're even trying anymore.

I'm somewhat sad and bemused that instead of “What are you talking about, my fellow goon?”, my initial thought was “When are we going to get another Emi Yusa or Yassan?”

The capriciousness of the wind, I suppose. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first thought that came to my mind (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) was of a less serious-looking Library Wars.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

Anime I'm watching this season, post 3 episode test:
Jojo(at a pace of 1 episode a month, as I usually do with JJBA, looks like)
Cardfight Vanguard Legion Mate (Interesting ideas this season, and Legion looks cool too.)
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V (Probably not forever, but for a bit.)
Love Live Season 2 (Watched Season 1 with my friends expecting it to suck and it wasn't... awful?)
Marvel Disk Wars (I have decided an official dropping point, but they haven't gotten there yet.)

Everything else failed the 3-episode test.

We live in truly sad times if Mushishi failed the 3-episode test.

Also, related to the (give a hoot!) read a book campaign, I'm re-reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I heard that the English (and subsequently, also the Spanish) version removed a few chapters, and getting the book in original Japanese was kind of a drag.

I'm hoping that, at some point within my lifetime, I get to see an anime adaptation of one of Murakami's works. Especially if it's in the style of Blue Literature.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We were watching the live-stream over at the Megami Tensei Megathread and, aside from people getting uncomfortable with Tomokazu Seki (Kanji) doing his really weird shtick of being a gigantic pervert, most people disliked the idea of YET ANOTHER PERSONA 3-4 THING. Also, Kana Hanazawa continues to be in everything and, while I enjoy her goofier voice stylings, Marie was kind of a bore.

While I would have preferred anything other than another Anime adaptation of Persona 3/4 material, I'm hoping that the anime doesn't run into a brickwall like the previous one did.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

That's basically what DEEN did, which was a complete disaster. I mean ufotable is probably capable of doing a better job but it would still be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Yeah, but isn't Nasu directly involved in this project, or at least in a similar vein as he was when Urobuchi wrote Fate/Zero? Also holy poo poo it's been 10 years since this thing came into existence.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Happy Piccolo Day, ADTRW!

And Kami bless us, everyone! :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Who the hell watches dubs in the year 2014?

The Baccano! Dub would like to have a word with you, pal. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Redcrimson posted:

I wish I knew enough Japanese to watch anime raw... How do you get Japanese cable channels, though?

No, Namtab's got it right. As someone who knows enough Japanese to cringe at Nisio Isin's puns and wordplay, half the charm of watching fansubs (or some official subs for that matter) is just trying to make sense of the stuff translators come up with to make something understandable.

Like the Commie guys renaming Attack on Titan “The Eotena Onslaught”. That was so precious. xD

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Postal Parcel posted:

I think you need to turn in your anime pass. :colbert:
Seriously, those were the best part of Medaka Box and what I like about the Japanese language. It has only so many sounds so puns and word play are things that will happen often and Nisioisin does it pretty well.

And re:The Eotena Onslaught
I loved their explanation as to why they renamed it that. "He's Japanese so he has no clue what english words mean" :allears: fansubbers.txt

I don't dislike puns and wordplay: I like them. A lot. A life of growing up with parents listening to/watching George Carlin made me develop an appreciation for puns / wordplay (and foul-language, I suppose). It's just that enjoying them doesn't change the fact that they make me cringe / facepalm, like when in Hyouka (spoilers because I really liked the scenario) they explain as to why the Classic Literature's Anthology is called Hyouka in the first place. It's fitting and all, but it also makes you feel like somebody put it there just so they could get a kick out of you figuring out the why of the pun/wordplay. :cripes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HellCopter posted:

GG did their famous "authentic british" sub of Jojo, even when the story ended up in America. When everybody is subbing the show, who cares.

“You loony limey!“ was a keeper. :allears:

In non-Sub/Dub related questions: Is Kyoani gonna do a summer show?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bullshit! Only the bass-player is lefty! As a lefty, this picture offends my sensibilities! :byodood:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpronounceable posted:

So, PA Works is bringing back Raigomaru?

Raigomaru deserves to rest in peace, dude! That rooster endured too much!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Love Live the show about a bunch of High School girls becoming idols in order to get enough moolah to save their school? Was that show really that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That receipt picture was kinda... extreme. I guess if it's a well-told story, I'll try to check the first season out.

I really just want to see more Turning Girls, though. :negative:

• Locked thread