Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Just watched the 2nd episode of Mahouka. I find the main character and his sister too 'perfect' to the point that they're boring. It actually kind of disgusts me. Am I just too bitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

There was sex in KLK. It was completely :stonk: and we could totally have done without it, but it happened.

If you're referring to the Satsuki/Ragyo scene then I actually enjoyed that scene in ways I can't explain.
...No, not in THAT way.
Just... the idea of mothers using sexuality to control their daughters has stuck with me for some reason.
Then again, there's a good chance I'd enjoy any scene with Blumenkranz playing in the background.

Neeksy posted:

I don't think it's out of line to point out when something is creepy or misogynistic in its portrayal of female characters, especially when it's in a broadcast medium and the driving force of a consumer market. Like it or not, this kind of stuff has not just societal implications but also affects the creative process for those who work to produce animation. Some might want to dismiss this kind of discussion as feminist social justice warrior babble or white-knighting, but that doesn't make the problematic aspects and their effects just disappear.

I think overall people have become more aware of media representation, and there is a reactionary backlash (mostly amongst dudes who have never personally had to think about how their gender or race was being portrayed in popular culture before) against people who are calling for more thought in how subjects are addressed. Despite the stereotypes to the contrary, it's entirely possible to make something that doesn't denigrate people that isn't at the same time a humorless didactic treatise. There are plenty of great films and TV shows that have done so in the past.

Good post. Personally, I don't care about seeing boobies in my shows. It's the overall representation that matters.
If the boobies are the most interesting part of the character, that's a problem.
I thought Yoko from TTGL was just tits with a gun. Her personality is bland and she just serves to give guys their first kiss before they die. It's not a case of 'oh lawd cover up those monstrous breasts before I faint from shock.' She was just... boring.

In KLK, the girls are pretty much naked but by the time the series is over, you don't really care. They become fun and interesting characters regardless of their clothes. That's all that really matters to me, that artists put more thought into their girls than their cup size.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
gently caress guys what did I do

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

S-Alpha posted:

You're being creepy. Like, really creepy.

poo poo poo poo poo poo I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT

I was thoroughly creeped out by the scene, but I appreciated the message it may have been trying to convey.

The idea of mothers controlling their daughters' sexuality made a lot of sense to me, having grown up in a religious community. Sex is shameful. Nakedness is sinful, cover yourself up. If you're not a virgin no man will want you. Ragyo's speech echoed these values.

I think the show was demonizing this way of thinking.

I'm not even attracted to girls I loving swear on my life.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but a Kill la Kill dub is being premiered at Anime Expo in July.
Dubs aren't usually released this fast, are they?
I personally thought the VAs were the best part of the series but whatever.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

HellCopter posted:

RIP nani sore 2013-2014

Kari Wahlgren could be a good Nonon. She replaced Nonon's VA in FLCL and did an excellent job.

You're right though, I don't see how anyone can come close to the original.

The whole plot relied on puns that don't translate into English too well so I don't see how a dub is a good idea.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't see any reason they would dub the most popular anime airing during the two seasons it ran. Nope, absolutely nobody would buy a dub of KLK.

You're right, silly me. I guess what I mean is 'I won't bother with this dub.'

As for the puns, I did some reading and there really is a lot of stuff that got lost in translation. Having accurately translated puns probably means more to me than it should. I've been raised with a terrible appreciation for dad jokes.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
The Ghost Stories dub should be mandatory viewing for every anime fan.

I watch dubbed anime if I want to multitask. Can't read subtitles and wash the dishes at the same time.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

Half the reason I watch subs is just so I can hear Japanese VAs butcher gratuitous English. Also, just to be honest, Japanese women cursing in English is the funniest thing of all time. I'm looking at you, Graisaia no Kajitsu

The zombie episode where Stocking shouts 'Motherfucker!' (in the cutest way imaginable) followed by Panty's 'Fatherfucker!' has to be my favourite part of the whole series.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: That said, I'm surprised KLK is getting a dub so fast. It's a pretty good show, but it's also niche as gently caress

I think it's actually pretty popular amongst girls for the same reason Panty and Stocking was: badass female MCs. Go to a convention in the next month or so and you'll see dozens of cosplays.

Despite the show's flaws, it was pretty much a girlie TTGL for me.

HellCopter posted:

That's still 10 bucks an episode, costing $120+ for the season. Somehow Funimation gets off selling 13 episodes for $40, with bonus features.

But this is a problem that's already been discussed. Is anybody watching Attack on Titan on Toonami? I gave up at about episode 8 when it just got too dumb for me, but maybe I should give it another go. How's that dub so far?

This is why I pirate :colbert: I really try to buy as much as I can but drat. Does subscribing to Netflix count as supporting Madoka?

I enjoyed AoT but I wouldn't say it gets any less dumb after that point. They still haven't made it to the basement.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

given that nostalgia is 99% of why Sailor Moon is a thing again

Is it worth watching without the nostalgia factor? I feel like I'm missing out.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
I don't like Satsuki's voice but I'm probably just picky about my favourite character. Ryuko kind of sounds like Ash Ketchum though.

The thing is, I don't go for subs because I assume the voice acting will be better. I go for subs because I can't tell whether or not the voices are bad unless they're in English. I am that culturally insensitive.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm still not gonna drop $500 or whatever on the DVDs, because that's insane.

Do they actually make money from these prices? I don't understand. I liked the show but not that much. (I still listen to the OST, don't judge me.)

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

ultimatemegax posted:

Lots of insightful words

Thanks for that informative explanation. So, what should poor slackers like myself do if we want to support the creators but can't afford the dvds? Buy figures? Crunchyroll? Anonymous donations? Trigger need a budget for Inferno Cop 2.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

ultimatemegax posted:

With Good Smile owning part of Ultra Super Pictures, the company Trigger is a part of, figures would be a good option here if they're from GSC.

Thanks mate, time to buy more nendoroids. Now to wait for a Satsuki release.

I read somewhere that there are about 8 possible meanings to Ryuko depending on how you use the characters. I don't even know how the Japanese can handle this stuff and it certainly can't cross over into English too easily.

Still curious to hear Nui and Ragyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't care for Intrigues mostly because I can't stand Mikuru.

Rant incoming.

After rewatching the series I get the impression that Mikuru only existed to be assaulted by Haruhi. She gets groped and stripped so the audience can enjoy the fanservice but still enjoy her as a sexually 'pure' character. It pisses me off. Her character is annoying but I was more annoyed by how she was treated. Am I overreacting?

Rant over.

• Locked thread