Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

darkgray posted:

Before anyone gets their hopes up about Gokukoku no Brynhildr, this is a public service announcement to say that the mangaka's previous work Nononono contains stuff that's highly disturbing. No idea how this new one will turn out, but you have been warned.

Edit: Realized that the linked stuff may be way too inappropriate.

That's unfortunate to hear. I rather liked the first episode of Bynhildr. The main character actually rationalizes his situation and thinks for himself. Here's hoping subsequent episodes don't slide down the creepy road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Silver2195 posted:

I understand it up until the blandness, because in a way, he's not bland enough. There's a difference between having no distinctive personality traits and having things like shallow affect be your primary personality traits.

It's a power fantasy. The main character carries enough ideals and morality to be relatable but at the same time has super powers and special abilities that make him a cut above the rest. It's not so much that he has to be completely bland because if he was then the audience wouldn't care to relate to him.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Been watching a lot of first few eps of each series to see if there's anything that catches my interest.

Blade and Soul
Even though it starts out with a lot of action I can't help but feel bored through the whole episode. Everything feels so by the book that mass death feels like a checklist. Dropped.

Black Bullet
The monsters are interesting but feels rather generic so far. I've only seen the first episode so far so I'll give it another couple episodes to test.

Brynhildr in the Darkness
I really liked the first episode but after what a few people said about the manga I looked it up. I'm not sure I want to continue if that's how the series is going. Author is a little too into violent gore for me.

Captain Eath
I'm a sucker for super robot shows. I really like Star Driver and so far I really like Captain Earth. I'll definitely be following this.

Chaika the Coffin Princess
Characters are interesting and premise has promise. I'm not sure where the main characters are headed but I'll be interested in their train of thought throughout the show. Will follow with hope.

Is the Order a Rabbit?
Show is super relaxed and cute. Tippy is the roundest fattest rabbit I've seen to date. I hope they get into the more shenanigans with coffee. Following this.

Jojo's
Definite follow. I've only seen bits of the first season so I hope I don't miss much by not going back to watch it.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
I didn't think much of this when I first say the website and premise. But the show is rather enjoyable for me. So far it hasn't really gone into creepy territory and hope it stays light hearted. Following.

Love Live!
Saw this pop up on Crunchyroll and was marked season 2. Decided to give season 1 a try before season 2 came out. Rather enjoyable and heart warming. Not really about the idol industry but more about the efforts of a school club and their members. Season 2 is more of the same writing and set up so I'll be following it.

Magica Wars
I don't know what's going on and the episodes are too short for me to care enough to find out. Pass

Mekakucity Actors
Shaft as gently caress, head tilts and all. First episode as peaked my interest enough to give it the 3 ep test. Will probably end up following it till the end.

Mushi-shi
Will probably wait for most of the series to be out before I marathon through it. But I liked the first season that came out years ago so I'm not too worried about this season disappointing.

Nanana's Buried Treasure
First couple of episodes is all set up but I like the possibility of anime Indiana Jones. Following in hopes of giant boulder running.

No Game No Life
There's been a lot of back and forth about the nature of this series. As far as the fan service it's way less then some harem series that are out. The brother/sister thing is awkward but they don't seem to dwell on it much in the anime. I do like the mind games and puzzle deconstructions. Will be following it to see how many games get used.

One Week Friends
Found this series to be really warm and fuzzy. Characters reactions are not exaggerated and drama seems to get sorted out without it dragging on for too long. There is an over hanging sense of :smith: that I feel as I watch this. I really hope it doesn't go the route of Beautiful Life or I'm going to be upset.

The Irregular at Magic
Case of so bad it's good? Maybe. I'll give it another couple of episode to see how broken the MC can really be.

The Kawai Complex
Seen two episodes so far and I like the character interactions. Main character is just as weird and off as the other characters. Going to see where this goes.

The World is Still Beautiful
Seen the first episode so far. Interesting premise with the Rain Princess and God Emperor. Aside from one scene the episode was enjoyable. Will probably follow it.

Kindaichi
I liked the movies they did years ago but for some reason this time I wasn't as compelled to watch. The pacing seemed to drag and be inconsistent. I think Kindaichi works better as stand alone movies rather then a series but I guess this iteration just isn't for me.

I'm interested in Akuma no Riddle but haven't had a chance to check out Funimation's shows yet.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

arhra posted:

The manga is from the same magazine* as Kiniro Mosaic, so there's a connection there, it's just not on the animation production side. If you watched the latest season of Hidamari Sketch, the fansubbers left in ads for the website of the group of magazines they all run in, which mentioned them both (along with Yuyushiki and Hidamari).

*or at least, the same group of closely-related spinoffs from Manga Time Kirara; I stopped trying to remember which series ran in which particular magazine a long time ago.

I didn't realize that there was an entire serial devote to characters relaxing and going about their daily lives.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Wark Say posted:

Is Love Live the show about a bunch of High School girls becoming idols in order to get enough moolah to save their school? Was that show really that good?

Yes, though I don't think money is involved. More so exposure for the school and a need to get more people to apply to said school to keep it open. I really liked the first season and the pacing of the story. Second season doesn't feel as well paced but does more to flesh out the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

XboxPants posted:

I still think that was fantastic and some of the best, most visceral immersion I ever had with an anime, totally unironically.

I do agree that the way they did the endless 8 arc was probably the best representation possible. Especially when it came to getting the audience immersed in the hosed up scenario that it was. The subsequent fan riots were even better.

• Locked thread