Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

April Ping Pong the Animation
The season's second noitaminA anime, and something I'm rather excited for. It's an adaptation of an award winning short manga about a young ping pong prodigy; it previously had a live action adaptation back in 2002, so the timing of this new adaptation by Tatsunoko Production is a bit odd. What is very notable about this is that it's being directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Kaiba, etc), one of the most interesting and talented animation directors in Japan. Love that Yuasa. Apparently the original manga has a very similar art style (it's by the Takemitsu Zamurai guy). Award winning source material, great director and staff, ping pong, sounds like a winning proposition all around.
Holy poo poo, I loved that movie! What a nice surprise. That really takes me back. I can only hope the anime also features Free Your Soul though I doubt it will.

Didn't know we were also getting more GJ-bu, which was a pleasant surprise from last year. I was a little worried that Mushishi was going to be the only thing to watch this time around but it looks like that won't be the case.

I had actually read a few chapters of One Week Friends a while back, though I gradually lost interest. It wasn't bad though.

E: Oh yeah probably gonna give Captain Earth a whirl as well.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you were a fan of the Kara no Kyoukai film series, the new film (Mirai Fukuin) was just released.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like it would have been better as a 2 or 3 part OVA rather than one large film; the story reaches multiple climaxes that each would have been decent stopping points for an episode. But for something that was basically "just" a side story, I found it quite fascinating. I think it's a better overall ending than the Epilogue movie that we wound up getting all those years ago at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For the few who might be interested, the Ah! My Goddess manga (which has been serialized for a little over 25 years) is ending in April.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

I feel so goddamn old. I remember hearing for the first time about this franchise a little after entering middle school. Hopefully it'll be a proper ending.
Should be fine. The current arc has felt like an endgame for a good dozen chapters and pretty much anything that could be possibly viewed as a hanging thread has been resolved.

I actually sort of wish I still had the original Dark Horse books from the late 90s (I think I wound up giving them away when DH went back and re-released them). Sure there were missing chapters and they were unflipped, but it was a part of history or something.

Man Afternoon went from having AMG, Blade of the Immortal, Mushishi, Genshiken 1, YKK, and Blame all in the same magazine at one point of time to...uh, I guess Genshiken 2?

E: The Berlin wall was still up when AMG started its serialization.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 21, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KoB posted:

Ive seen the majority of the shows but have no idea how that could go on for 25 drat years. Are they going out yet? That poo poo gets insufferable quickly.
It was never really a question of whether they were going out or not, it's not like he was Rumiko Takahashi after all. More than that they never got physically intimate beyond holding hands and the occasional kiss, and even the reason for that got a rather hilarious(ly bad) explanation in recent chapters.

I've always sort of felt it wasn't really a problem, since the manga was more about the wacky misadventures and being chill/predictably light-hearted than the drama of the romance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Great Rumbler posted:

I do, yeah, and I'm so glad that more of it is finally coming out.
Jesus, the first one came out 5 years ago! It was pretty cool though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe all scenes showcased in that trailer show up at one point or another in the first three days common across all three routes, though IIRC you can miss the Gil/Sakura scene if you don't hang out with Sakura enough.

E: Looks like Shirou's got some new duds

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eh, sort of. The material that was replaced always seemed a bit :doh: to me, so I never felt it was that big of a loss. A bigger issue to me was that a plot thread (the fate of one of the characters) was left unresolved, even though ultimately it didn't impact Shiki and company's stories any longer so it was arguably irrelevant. All of this would be up to whomever wrote the script than the director, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The actual novels for Kara no Kyoukai are a bit of a mess to begin with; Nasu famously didn't seem to care for them at all before ufotable took a crack at it. Seemingly they were able to cover for the weaknesses in the other chapters better than they were able to do so in Oblivion Recorder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's too soon! Everyone knows you have to wait 12 years minimum in between Macross TV series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes but it's being done in "conjunction" with Gainax. I don't think Anno owns any particular rights to the Evangelion franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer gets an anime adaptation!" is always a good one.

:smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ping Pong and Mushishi are good, and I'm working through Jojo Part 2 so that I can join in on Stardust Crusaders eventually. That's three shows worth watching which really is more than enough. My only "eh" show is Captain Earth which I'll stick with until it probably gets stupid. I don't know why anyone is bothering with anything else to be honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If this season is bad how did we make it through Winter? I didn't finish a single new show during that. E: Wait, forgot Silver Spoon. So one new show that was a sequel season.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seki was good, but I just couldn't bring myself to see it through to the end after having read the manga previously. Actually Silver Spoon has that problem for me as well, where I really struggle to see what being animated brought to the table over the outstanding original iteration. We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't emphasize enough how much of a Big Deal actually having new Mushishi is to me. Like, I'd take an entire year of bad/mediocre shows if it meant more Mushishi.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm watching Battle Tendency right now and I don't think it's been particularly poorly animated, at least compared to what has been bad enough in the past to actually bother me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chas McGill posted:

One of the things I like about ADTRW is that it doesn't seem have nearly as many creeps and paedos as other places where anime is discussed. There are some though, and it's hilarious to see embarrassed siscons falling over themselves to justify watching a gross show.
That's because most of them got permabanned some 9 years ago (plus a few more when Helldump was around). If you want to keep your sanity never look at ADTRW archives from around 2004 or before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can pry Mushishi from my cold, dead fingers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a fairly stark before/after transition centering around 2005; jump into the archives to get an idea for just how bad it used to be. You don't see TVIV/CD doing an annual "rear end shot of the year" thread after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

No Spice and Wolf, no sale. :colbert:

On a less sarcastic note, I mostly have genre fiction as my backlog anyways (been reading Perdido Street Station off and on). I probably should look into modern fiction that isn't genre fiction one of these days. That or something nonfictional which I haven't done in ages.
You can (and should) buy Spice & Wolf! Yen Press has been doing a decent job, as far as I can tell. I think a new volume just came out a week or so ago. I think all told you could make about 3 more anime seasons out of the books they've translated so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

icantfindaname posted:

I'm assuming this was moot and the people who went on to create 4chan, right?
Some of them (the May 2005 entry) posted on and/or were involved with 4chan, but moot himself at least was never banned. A couple of the posters in question have their own SAclopedia entries with further backstory, if you care to know. I barely remember any of it if I'm honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Delusibeta posted:

but considering all references to Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse has been removed from the ADTRWiki, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
I can explain that one at least: people complained about it in the spring cleaning thread, so Pierson changed it. :ms:

2013 was kind of a ho-hum year but The Devil Is a Part-Timer was a legitimately good show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Joshlemagne posted:

A few season threads ago someone brought up "My little sister can't be this cute" and you said pretty firmly "No. We don't talk about creepy sister loving anime here".
As I remember it that was because people were slapfighting in the season thread about whether it deserved a thread or not, not because the show upon discovery was instantly labeled a taboo. It was forums drama that no one wanted. I'd say this was a wise decision in the long run because supposedly the second season of that sister show was extraordinarily bad in that regard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pureauthor posted:

So as someone who decided that Kill la Kill wasn't my cup of tea, I thought people had high hopes for that show and liked it near the start.

What happened that people are calling the show poo poo now?
It basically came down to two things for me:

-The main character just isn't very good. To steal someone else's words, she spends the entire show lurching from one existential crisis to the next without actually developing.
-The main villain of the show is creepy in a hugely inappropriate and unnecessary manner.

There were certainly some fun moments here and there but in the end it just kind became "OK" overall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ultimately KlK should have probably been a single cour series and stuck with comedy rather than Serious Dramatic Action Extravaganza.

Going back to this season, I think I'm going to drop Captain Earth. I just don't have the patience for that type of show anymore I guess, it just feels more dumb than usual. Like why do they insist on having such inane technobabble? It makes it feel like something the characters from Chuunibyo would write.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 30, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It doesn't really feel ironic, if that's what you meant. I'm pretty sure it's playing everything straight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

It's by the creators of Star Driver, pretty sure there's nothing straight about it.
But that's just the thing, it doesn't really feel like Enokido to me. Maybe a shallow, hollow imitation of him. Star Driver knew exactly what it was and had fun with the whole set-up for the most part, and I'm not getting that sense here at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is pretty god drat funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HellCopter posted:

What's the full story on that, anyway? I hear it thrown around, but googling it never gives me a concrete answer.
It was a super-90s fantasy/comedy that a lot of people grew up with. As a result a lot of people (myself included) have heaps of nostalgia for it. The first season hasn't aged all that well but NEXT and TRY are still pretty solid romps.

E: Oh if you meant whether it was actually based on D&D campaigns I don't remember if that was ever confirmed. I'd believe it though. I know it was true in the case of Lodoss War, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 6, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Che Delilas posted:

They're very nearly the same series.
No, that's Revolution :haw:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Since it's simply called Fate/Stay Night, it stands to reason it follows the first route. Which would be a shame since it's the worst route and the protagonist is insufferable throughout like 80% of it.
What would they call it otherwise? That's the name of the game. Anyway, it's still not really known what the story structure is going to be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Or maybe they'll combine all three into some new story.
That's basically what DEEN did, which was a complete disaster. I mean ufotable is probably capable of doing a better job but it would still be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

He means the first route is called "Fate" specifically. Second is Unlimited Blade Works, third is Heaven's Feel.
I know what he means, but calling it "Fate/stay night" shouldn't be a showing of route commitment because it's not like they can just make up a new name. That's what it's called! Even when they released Réalta Nua on PC they still subtitled the first episode as "Fate" rather than just leaving it as FSN.

Blhue posted:

I thought someone said at some point in the F/Z thread that Nasu was writing a new "4th" route for the anime to follow. Or was that just some rumor that got debunked?
It was supposedly leaked from Type-Moon ACE in January, though I don't remember if it was ever confirmed. E: Actually I'm pretty sure that was debunked, the actual announcement goes out its way to mention that that nothing was confirmed for the story structure.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 9, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

S-Alpha posted:

GG and Commie, as far as I'm aware, have a really close working relationship, with a lot of crossover between the groups. At least 90% of what either group does is done to piss off the hardcore weeb anime nerds, so I'm totally down with whatever they do. They also both work on Not Red Reviews too, if I recall.
Coalgirls for example seems to be in some sort of pissing match with them with regards to Monogatari.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

Wasn't Tenchi pretty much the first harem series? They're going to milk that cow until it bleeds.
They released the third/final OVA after like 10 years back in 2005 and it absolutely sucked. I can't imagine there's anything left in that cow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

WRT to Goddess, I guess you could also object that Keiichi has an obvious interest in Belldandy but there are plenty of harem shows where it's clear there's a main love interest that the guy will wind up with in the end. It's not like Keiichi is actually making moves on Belldandy.

All that said, I suppose it's fair to say that Tenchi really perfected the modern mold, even if it had precursors.
AMG has the setting but not the characters. Lots of girls live with the main character, and he even interacts with a fair number of others elsewhere, but the only two who express genuine interest are Belldandy and Sayoko. Most of the other girls even have their own romantic pursuits. Bell and K1 are also absolutely dating for the majority of the comic even if it's a long-running joke that they never get physically intimate (which got brought up as a plot point at the end in a fairly hilariously bad way).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's your Patema Inverted thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Disappearance was pretty much the best Haruhi ever got. I've read every book that came after it and the story perpetually feels like it's treading water. I honestly can't even bring myself to care whether the rest of it gets animated because it's just not all that interesting.

• Locked thread