Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Wow, Roughneck Sumo Wrestler!! Matsutarou kind of looks great: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-31/abarenbo-rikishi-matsutaro-anime-tv-spot-previews-animation

Usually I regret it when I visit ANN but as a sports anime fan I can definitely say I'm glad to see this preview. Anyone in the thread ever read any of this manga and have an opinion on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

It's a joke. They don't have a show page up for it, which they always do for their other announcements.

Wouldn't that super piss off any/all companies that are currently negotiating to rights for this show? This seems like something that could get them in a lot of trouble, doesn't really seem like a joke. I guess it's just a forum post and not an actual press release, but still, weird.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Two of the boxes he's holding read "Ideon" and "Yamato", so I'm guessing Reiji Matsumoto and Tomino. I can't make sense of the middle one though.

The middle one is Pankopa which is a Miyazaki thing.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 6, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

He also has (mild spoilers, guessing it shows up in an episode or two) incredible vision and reaction time

I really thought you were maybe going to say he has autism and/or OCD.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What non-Crunchyroll shows is everyone enjoying? Only one I'm currently following is Disk Wars.

MagicalDuck posted:

Hey, Kaleido Star was above average for a kids' show. Don't go lumping it in there with Gantz.

Yeah, I'll defend Junichi Sato to the grave. Princess Tutu forever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mercrom posted:

When naked 11 year olds and rapist protagonists isn't enough to put you off from watching I think it's time to take a break from anime for a while.

Rapist protagonist? Certainly guilty of enslaving that girl, but the worst they've shown of him so far is trying to take a picture of her naked and squeezing when he comedy-fell onto her boobs, standard anime stuff. They've specifically contrived the story to explain why he has no intentions of doing anything rapey (he can't leave the his sister's side). I also got the impression that he was more interested in stealing the princesses resources rather than screwing her seeing as how he flipped out when he realized he could have just enslaved her rather than making her his girlfriend.

Of course the pedophile 11 year old fanservice complaint is completely valid, but hey man get it straight it's a show about pedophilia, not raping. That makes it a-ok.

The world does seem really interesting to me so I'm gonna keep watching it, though, and see if it's constant naked little girls or if that aspect gets toned down to, say, Zvezda levels. Sometimes shows frontload the fanservice to hook people.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 17, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Clarste posted:

The stereotype in Japan is that only manchildren and actual children watch cartoons. Therefore cartoons are produced that are aimed at manchildren as well as actual children. We really shouldn't think of anime as at all representative of mainstream Japanese culture.

I guess that's true, there are plenty of j-dramas that aren't set in high school.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Convincing oneself that a lazy cliche has some cultural origin to justify it is a hallowed tradition among Western anime fans.

Only outstripped in popularity by saying "stories have no meaning, they're just words :shepface:", perhaps.

If there's an idea that catches on with a whole culture of people, and shows up repeatedly, it's silly to dismiss it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The fallacy generally lies in the bolded words. Otaku culture is not synonymous with Japanese culture.

What's your point? Not all Japanese people are otakus, but all the otakus that these shows are targeted at, the ones that influence the show's success, those guys are all Japanese. You can't say with any credibility that Japanese culture doesn't have a pretty big influence on otaku subculture.

Or, you can, but you'd be an wrong.

There's are reasons certain kinds of shows and certain kinds of characters are popular among Japanese otaku, and it's not "a wizard did it".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Decided to check out Chaika from the decent buzz it's getting. I certainly wouldn't call it the "best" anime of the season, but maybe "most" anime? Very typical fantasy medieval action fare, with all the strengths and flaws you'd expect. Neat magic & monsters, but sometimes it gets maybe too over the top, like a magic wand/sniper rifle operated by a clumsy cute girl that speaks in broken sentences "You. Me. Help." but has a secret tragic past.

She actually has a decent character behind the moeblob mask, though, and there are some interesting themes going on. Gonna keep watching.

Silver2195 posted:

The reasons don't necessarily make it good writing; they're often as simple as "people copy from better shows."

Well of course it doesn't make it good writing, not sure why it would.

Anyway, "people copy from better shows" isn't simple; what made them choose element over another to copy? A dice roll? If your answer is "they just thought it was cool", then what made them think it was cool?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sir Gladu posted:

I don't think anyone liked it for the generic setting or the main girl(I certainly didn't), or said it was the "best". The brother and the sister are more interesting (and have a normal relationship, thank god), the action is good, and the humor, although it's not the focus, is above-average. I was rolling my eyes like mad at the boring intro and opening, the speech quirks and the way they introduced the characters, but then it kept moderately surprising me, bumping it from "dumb crap" to "kinda good".
It's a show that everyone will forget in less than a year, but for now is defying expectations.

Yeah, that post may have come off more negative than I meant. I'm enjoying it pretty well. Like you say, the action is well put together, and the siblings are both decent character, as well as being fairly funny. It's well done; at the least I think they're hitting all the beats they're going for.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pootybutt posted:

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

Holy dingles, it's a Magic Man episode? That's so, so perfect. He's basically that show's Q, only more of a dick.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

if i don't look past blatant pedophilia i won't get to enjoy a stupid fantasy where being good at video games means absolutely anything, and that's a price i'm not willing to pay

It's nice to see there are still some real anime fans on this forum.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Seeing the tips here I watched Nanana, and it really is a pretty cool concept. I kinda would have preferred to watch the prequel about Nanana's life as a bad-rear end adventurer like in the intro, rather than see her reduced to a non-threatening Cute Ghost, but this show's pretty good as well. (also did I miss something or did they not explain at all why detective's assistant has started regularly wearing the maid outfit?)

The dungeons ruins are pretty cool so far but they've been quite short. I hope we get some multi-episode, really elaborate ones.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pandaK posted:

Because he's a trap. Said as much in the story.

What's that supposed to mean? That's why she wore the outfit to the protagonist's room, to appeal to him. But why does that explain why she continue to wears it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Trap in this context implies male gender.

I guess you're right, from what little I know of otokonoko culture that does sound right. But I still massively object to crunchyroll's translation of "otokonoko" as "trap". "Trap" has gotta be one of the most harmful slurs around.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

chumbler posted:

This seems as good a place as any to ask about this. Does the player on Funimation's website just never load for anyone else? As far as I can tell I've got the relevant scripts allowed and I cleared my cache like their help section suggests, and I still get a black box.

Edit: This is the free videos, if that somehow matters. I don't have an account there.

Happened to me too. This was in Chrome. In Firefox it worked.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

chumbler posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using firefox, so there must be something I've overlooked if it's working for you. As a double check I went to hulu since I think that's what funi uses, and hulu's videos work fine.

Edit: And now having posted that I realize that I am a goddamned moron because I can just watch it on hulu :doh:.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that, "just use Hulu in your browser of choice since that's not a broken piece of poo poo" is the correct answer. No idea why stupid Funi's player doesn't work.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

In regards to One Week Friends: can anyone compare it to the similar story in ef - a tale of memories? It sounds way more contrived. I loved ef, partially for the drama but also because it had some of the best direction/cinematography this side of Utena.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Welllll... I always expect it to be better than I expected.

Another thing I like about Mushishi is that all episodes are satisfying to watch, no matter if they're lighthearted or dark. All are welcome.

Does Mushishi ever get any kind of arc or ongoing elements going? I watched a few episodes of the first season way back when, and it was really cool but without any ongoing story it didn't hook me that hard and I forget about it eventually.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think you're kind of weird for not just enjoying each episode for their own thing, but yes, there are some actually really cool bits of continuity. This includes a recurring character that acts as a really good foil for Ginko, episodes that involve a greater society of mushi masters, and character pasts. It's also cool how you grow to expect mushi or Ginko to act in a certain way and the show plays with your expectations.

I am weird, but that's just me. When the story wraps up so completely & perfectly in each episode it just leaves me not caring as much about what happens next. Thanks a lot for the response, though, the worldbuilding stuff sounds very cool.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Namtab posted:

Why would anyone use strategic voting when it comes to listing their five favourite anims? It just seems like a grossly nerdy thing to do.

I'm not insulting your justification because I have absolutely no doubts that people do do it, I just don't see the appeal.

It's not like that many people are really every single individual list that people are post, so really the main reason you post a list at all is in order to influence the overall "Top List". So if that's your motivation going into it, I can see why you'd do strategic voting. Maybe there's a show that's only the #4 show for you, after Jojo, Mushishi, and Ping-Pong, but you know that those three shows are definitely going to make the cut anyway. You might think "why even bother voting for those three shows?" So you decide to put your #4 show at #1 to try to get it into the list and expose it to more people.

edit: Or maybe I'm mis-remembering these threads and they do, in fact, have a lot of discussion and people reading each-other's lists. In which case :iiam:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's kind of funny, because based on Star Driver "a shallow, hollow imitation" is exactly how I would describe Enokido, of Ikuhara. :shobon:

Ikuhari needs to do more stuff. :argh:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Is anyone planning on a thread for Akuma no Riddle? I'm loving it a lot more than I thought I would, especially after episode 5. If no one else plans to, I might make one.

I'd like if you did. It's pretty good and the premise & structure remind of Utena a lot (which of course makes it a little more fun to watch by association). Hell there are a lot of shows that remind me of Utena this season.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bakanogami posted:

Sadly Fate/Kaleid Liner is a totally different thing. That one fight scene was super good, but the rest of the series was mediocre at best. It apparently did well enough to get a second season, though.

On a completely unrelated note, is there interest in a Kan Colle/Kantai Collection thread? It's pretty quickly occupying the same status as Touhou in Japan, and that's got a thread here already. It's also got like three or four manga series, and an anime coming this summer, I think?

I guess I'm only hesitant because a mechanic of the original game is that characters' clothing gets torn as they take damage. :rolleyes:

I don't have any interesting in reading any of the manga or anything but I'd probably at least check out the OP just out of curiosity so I know what the heck this whole thing is even about. Like you said it's getting pretty popular so I see a lot but got no idea what it is other than some kind of really popular card thing?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Amstrad posted:

Hey, if Dora can teach the youngins Spanish why can't Doraemon teach them Japanese?

Speaking of Latin culture, has there ever been rice in Dora? I feel like it's really reaching to say that egg+rice is a "foreign" food that children wouldn't understand. Maybe I'm out of touch.

Like most of those changes make sense at least on some level, changing yen to dollar bills, and even the removal of tears to make the show less upsetting or whatever, but some of it just seems nonsensical.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Panty and Stocking basically threw out the original script and wrote new jokes that worked in English, and it's one of the only dubs in existence I'd vouch for. They made it into a new show at least as funny as the original.

That makes me think of Samurai Pizza Cats. I don't know how well it holds up but that show was great and they did the same thing. Total rewrites can be a great option. I mean if you want the original that's already there to watch subbed. (though I do sympathize with the desire to be able to do other poo poo while watching anime, it can be annoying that you always gotta stare at the screen and never look away for a second)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

They had part of reason. It's true Japanese are bad with English and they have botched other titles and character names previously... but the 'Eotena' thing explanation was pure snobbery.

Yeah, to be fair the "English" title as created by the author does actually mean the total opposite of what it's supposed to mean. But there's a difference between correcting grammar and changing noun choice. I mean if he says that in the fictional world he created, these particular monsters are called "titans" then he kinda has final say on that, even if it was a stupid choice. It's not really the role of the translator to correct mistakes in the story.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Counterpoint: while I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch all 200 episodes, there's a lot of legit great stuff here. I went through it a few months ago using this guide from a now defunct site, that thankfully was in the internet archive, and it makes some really good choices, and points out some episodes that aren't essential but are worth watching. Start with the guide and depending on how much you enjoy it watch more or less.

While this is something you can enjoy now, there is a remake coming this summer that regular people should be able to watch all the way through.

Your link was broken: https://web.archive.org/web/20120629054713/http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Zorak posted:

Wasn't Tenchi pretty much the first harem series? They're going to milk that cow until it bleeds.

Should that be something by Rumiko Takahashi? Or do none of them count? I haven't really seen/read much of her early series.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Allarion posted:

There was also Ah My Goddess, which also predates Tenchi Muyo, even though not all the heroines fall in love with the main character. I want to say Ah My Goddess might be the one that set up a lot of trends that the harem genre has now. Tenchi is just remembered in the West due to being one of those early Toonami shows.

Well not all the heroines in Tenchi are into him, either. Mihoshi and Kiyone certainly aren't, Washu isn't usually used as a love interest either, neither is human Ryo-ohki (what? in a modern anime she totally would be). And Tenchi's still a harem anime.

WRT to Goddess, I guess you could also object that Keiichi has an obvious interest in Belldandy but there are plenty of harem shows where it's clear there's a main love interest that the guy will wind up with in the end. It's not like Keiichi is actually making moves on Belldandy.

All that said, I suppose it's fair to say that Tenchi really perfected the modern mold, even if it had precursors.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

Since the season is about three quarters done, anything that I'm "missing out on"? I'm watching Chaika, JoJo, Sidonia no Kishi and Love Live right now.

And a second question, anything look promising for the summer yet?

The sports anime (Haikyuu and Baby Steps) this season is really good if you've any interest at all there. Mekaku City Actors is visually/cinematrophically pretty wonderful - the story sorta hops around confusingly every time they introduce a new plot but it all fits together, you just gotta give things a few episodes for the pieces to fall into place.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nanana's biggest problem is it suffers really obviously from being a LN adaptation. Every 4 episodes it throws out whatever story it had going and then starts over a new story out of nowhere and the pacing just seems really weird and messy. The last episode was, like, episode 9 and it spent the entire episode introducing a new character to everyone else in sequence.

It has some great points too, but they really needed to put some more thought into adapting the individual novels into a cohesive whole.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Yeah, they really cut a lot out from the endless-8 arc.

I still think that was fantastic and some of the best, most visceral immersion I ever had with an anime, totally unironically.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

I think that the biggest factor for someone ending up loving or hating Endless 8 was whether he watched all of it in one go long after it had aired, or had to wait for two entire months for anything to happen.

Nah, it'd suck watching it all in one go. I'm sure people who watch it all at once feel like they're glad they didn't have to watch it stretched out (and for a lot of 'em they're probably right) but watching it stretched out into two months of raw tension and hope is what made it magical. For some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I forgot to comment on this, but the reason (at least for me) is that the original presentation of the "first season" was a major reason anyone got interested in the franchise to begin with. The out-of-order approach was bold for its time and I daresay elevated the material beyond what it could have gotten across had it just aired them in order. This therefore becomes a problem if you attempt to make it congruous with the 14 new episodes in 2009. The only way to reconcile it is to treat those 14 episodes a separate season. You can of course ignore this, as KyoAni themselves seem to want, but that is the reasoning some (myself included) use.

Yeah, the story was told non-linearly not as some kind of joke against the viewers, but to tell a certain story. You can watch them in chronological order if you want and it's kinda neat, but it doesn't improve the story any more than making a chronological cut of Lost or Memento or Twelve Monkeys would. Flashbacks and flashforwards are perfectly legitimate narrative tools. It doesn't "fix" a story to just watch them in real-time order.

• Locked thread